Peak Organic Hop Noir - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Hop NoirPeak Organic Hop Noir

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Black Ale |  8.20% ABV

Hop Noir is a delectable Black IPA, dripping with piney, aromatic Centennial hops. The malt base is dark and rich, anchored by organic black malt. This provides a strong foundation for the extravagant kettle hopping and dry-hopping that this beer experiences. Enjoy with a night-light.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 02-18-2011)

Bdel34, Aug 17, 2012

MikalMick, Jul 08, 2012

Ivanhoes_Backpack, Jul 03, 2012

marcdalke, Jun 30, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle is stamped best before December '12.

This is my second go round with a Black IPA, also known as an American Black Ale, and also known as a Cascadian Dark Ale. Pours a dark brown with a quickly dissipating tan head. It smells good. A shot in the dark I would say that there are either chinook or amarillo hops, I cannot distinguish between the two, perhaps both. There is some hop funk, resin, and maybe some grapefruit. I am getting some roasted barley. Wow that is exactly what I imagined a black ipa to tastee like. Thhere is a lot of chocolate and a lot of hop flavor. The last black ipa I tried tried tasted like a moderately hopped porter. A lot of grapefruit and resinous flavors. It does finish a bit hot but I do not mind that quality. Seeing as though I can taste both the dark elements of this beer; the dark fruit, the chocolate; and the IPA qualities of this beer, distinctly, I consider this beer a success. And I am quite sure I used those semi-colons incorrectly. I have been quite happy with the two beer I have tried from this brewery.

omokoro, Jun 30, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +30.7%

This one was a wild, wonderful ride. The appearance is PITCH black. Almost intimidating. A really intriguiging citrus character shines in the nose. I love Citra hops. Hops hit the palate first, followed by a mix of smoke, black and malt sweetness. This is a very unique malt profile in that the dark roasted flavors and the sweet malt flavors combine for a wonderful experience. The citra hops ride on top the entire time. Bitter, but the right amount to stand up to the malt. Yum.

berliner07, Jun 29, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a light fan head with nice retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is highlighted by fresh resinous hops with some roasted malt in the background. Very nice!

T- The taste is dark roasted malts with a good dose of hop bitterness in the finish. Delicious!

M- The mouthfeel is between light and medium bodies with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I really enjoyed Hop Noir! Great beer!

cjgator3, Jun 23, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

As a fan of dark beers, IPAs and Peak Organic, I found this to be a real let-down.

A- Noir might be a slight exaggeration, but this sure is a dark beer. Some reddish transparency in my skinny pilsner glass. Handsome head of about an inch dissipates quickly, but leaves dazzling lacing with each sip: fine, even bubbles in an appetizing golden brown foam.

S- Nothing special in the nose here, pungent hops and some burnt caramel notes.

T- This is where I'm lost; some charred flavor with the slightest hint of chocolate and coffee, but not enough to suggest a stout or porter character. Very sour up front, but then the hops get lost in the overwhelming roast flavor. Certainly some citrus here, but it's really not jiving with the darkness. No real taste of alcohol, though, even as it warms up: impressive for an 8.2% ABV.

M- Neither here nor there. Not too syrupy, might benefit from more carbonation. Really in keeping with the IPA nature, maybe a touch sticky.

O- I would try a bottle but skip a 6-pack. I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't return to the shelves next year. Maybe they'll keep the name but ditch the mediocre recipe, I've seen Peak shine before.

eod81, Jun 15, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -16.5%

Here's a return to an old review I made over a year ago on what was then an emerging style in the popular craft beer scene (I do believe this was my first ever Black ale. Since that time, I'd like to think that my experience of sampling black IPAs have led to me being able to better discern some variations and originalities within the style. I picked up a 6'er of this at Niko's Wine Corner in Snellville for $9.99.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served at 43º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pouring this bottle led to a frothy light brown head with an average quality retention, settling to a very thin surface in a few short minutes. Lacing is thin and spotty but still mostly there. Body color is nearly black to the naked eye, although I can pick up some deep brown near the surface and some mahogany tones where the light gets through. Head quality is stunted a bit which bumps the appearance down but the lack of any other glaring flaws makes the appearance acceptable. Overall, this is a decent looking Black IPA, but nothing spectacular. 3.5

(Smell) Most people will certainly notice the bold buttery flavors in the aroma which really smack you in the face, but underneath are some milder fruit tones, like blueberry, peach and plum. Hops are mild in the nose, masked by the boldness of the malt bill, but the hop quality is slightly piney, slightly floral. There is a slight alcohol aroma but it is largely masked by the diacetyl-like aromas of this beer. Unfortunately the balance suffers some due to the limited hop presence and most noses are going to be turned away by this aroma. I find it enjoyable enough, as I am offended by little aromas a beer could present, and while it is not ideally balanced and lacking in hop aroma, the sweet buttery malts and subtle fruit qualities are two uncommon qualities of this aroma that I find enjoyable, and contribute to a unique aroma for the style. 3.5

(Taste) A lot of what the nose reveals carries over to the mouth. Fortunately the diacetyl is toned down a notch but is still very much there. Unfortunately, the fruit is hard to find in the beer at all, masked by a smoky finish with a subtle bit of grassy hop flavor. The balance continues to be a bit out of whack, with a malt heavy presence and little hop action, even less than in the nose. No particular point of the brew stands out from the rest, and although it's not terrible, it's not particularly impressive either, with limited flavors and limited hops. My choice favorite moment is the charcoal-like finish, which is more enjoyable than it sounds, although not perfect, and the poorly hidden alcohol peeks through a few times too many, reminding me as to why it's not always ideal to brew an 8% beer if you can't hide it well. Second time around I find this beer a bit disappointing, but it's not terrible. I have better options and are willing to go to them first. 3

(Mouthfeel) Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with a little bit of air on the tongue. Alcohol presence is medium-high. Body is low-medium. I found the texture to be a decent pairing for the taste, although the lack of being able to conceal the alcohol and a limited body depth impact the score negatively as well. 3

(Overall) I'm glad I've found better options in this last year. Second time around I'm finding a very intense diacetyl character in this beer which is hard to avoid or overlook. Hops are hardly there, and really could bring the flavor around if they had more of a starring role. The fruit esters that I thought I were picking up turned out to play hardly any role in the beer either. While it's nothing majorly offensive, I think it's a gamble that many may not enjoy this beer because of it's wacky balance (or really the lack of it), and the lack of hops. I found that aside from the butter, this was one of the mildest black ales on the market, and aside from some nice charcoal smoke in the finish, it doesn't have much going for it. With some tweaks, it can likely go in the right direction, but right now its not particularly impressive, and I'd recommend looking elsewhere to fulfill your Black IPA fix. 3

Peak Organic Brewing Company's
Hop Noir
3.13/5.00

Jadjunk, Jun 14, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

wo87810, Jun 06, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Single finger head and nice lacing on a jet black body. Aroma is nice resin, pine, licorice, mint and earthy hop notes. Flavor is very grassy and floral hop notes. Chocolate and roasted malts cone in at the finish. Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Overall a very nice beer for the style. Nice hop character and strength.

kylehay2004, Jun 03, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

BigRob329, May 25, 2012

Turbodog666, May 22, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

I was looking at Peak's page, and thought "well, haven't I reviewed Hop Noir?" Yes, yes I did, but while BA was down, and I never got around to uploading this review.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Pours a dark brown with a head that quickly drops. The aroma is fairly big, it’s got some syrupy, roasted malts and strong citrus and tropical hops. The big aromas from the nose kinda cancel each other out when it comes to the tasting, making this just a bitter, hoppy black ale as opposed to the separation of flavors I got on the nose. It tastes good, but it’s really a one-note kind of thing. The mouthfeel is a bit rocky, but it works, and the drinkability is good. It’s a bit of a strange black ale, but I think it works.

shand, May 20, 2012