Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha StoutPeak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.40% ABV

This is an extravagant, immoderate beer. We mixed together our three favorite things – beer, chocolate, and coffee. A rich stout serves as a backbone, with organic black malt and chocolate malt providing a luscious foundation. During the boil, we add artisan chocolate from your friends at Taza. During conditioning, we add coffee from our friends at Coffee by Design. Then, this concoction is oak-aged, resulting in soft vanilla notes. We hope you enjoy this beer as much as we do.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011)
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Pretty much pitch black in color with one finger of a light brown, cream head.

S: Roasted grain, chocolate, and boozy barrels.

T: The coffee comes out a lot more here. The entirety of the nose is also present. A nice bitter bite to cut some of the sweetness.

M: Medium heavy body that is chewy. Medium heavy carb. Actually, a lot more carbonated than I like my stouts, especially doubles.

O: Very solid offering from Peak Organic. Great flavor without being a boozy mess from the barrel aging.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

In a snifter this beer was black in color with a tiny tan head. There was no lace.

Aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a little vanilla. A bit on the timid side.

Improvement in the taste. Dark chocolate and espresso. Still a little vanilla.

A bit on the thin side.

I liked, but didn't love, this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Black with a mocha ring of head.

S: Fudgy chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, deeply complex, a bit earthy.

T: Vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, coffee.

M: Full bodied, not really smooth.

O: The flavor and smell are really good, though the mouthfeel is a bit off. I like the fullness of it, but I really prefer my beer smooth.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Full disclosure: I'm new to the world of stout. I'm dipping my toe in, reluctantly and with a lot of whining, much to the dismay of my husband. I'm suspicious of beverages that taste like I ought to be chewing them. Having said that, on this night I'm also watching a rather interesting playoff football game being held in 5 degree weather and laughing at all the bare arms of the players, and I figure if the those dudes can bear the windchill on their arm cannons I can certainly man up and try this Mocha Stout.

It pours out unremarkably, with not much of a head, although in color it's a rich dark brown (like an espresso, amiright???). I get a good whiff of vanilla, and something just a bit sugary, but for me there's not much else in the nose except a little bit of metal, or maybe that's the fermentation? The oak? Listen: I warned you, I'm new to this stuff. I do quite like the taste: I definitely get the slightly bitter chocolate, a touch of acid, but it's also very smooth. There's only a slight carbonation. It's a little like drinking a tasty cold coffee drink. It's a happy mouthfeel, light and pleasant and certainly not too gooey, but it does lack some depth. Overall, I'd happily drink it again-- much to the delight of my husband, who has vowed to convert me to a stout believer. I think I can feel the chest hair growing as I write this!

Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout from Peak Organic Brewing Company