Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha StoutPeak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.40% ABV

This is an extravagant, immoderate beer. We mixed together our three favorite things – beer, chocolate, and coffee. A rich stout serves as a backbone, with organic black malt and chocolate malt providing a luscious foundation. During the boil, we add artisan chocolate from your friends at Taza. During conditioning, we add coffee from our friends at Coffee by Design. Then, this concoction is oak-aged, resulting in soft vanilla notes. We hope you enjoy this beer as much as we do.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011)

bccrosley, Feb 22, 2014

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Jay82, Jan 19, 2014

Ultra-Plinian, Jan 18, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Black with a mocha ring of head.

S: Fudgy chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, deeply complex, a bit earthy.

T: Vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, coffee.

M: Full bodied, not really smooth.

O: The flavor and smell are really good, though the mouthfeel is a bit off. I like the fullness of it, but I really prefer my beer smooth.

BierJager89, Jan 18, 2014

kkmiller76, Jan 11, 2014
3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Full disclosure: I'm new to the world of stout. I'm dipping my toe in, reluctantly and with a lot of whining, much to the dismay of my husband. I'm suspicious of beverages that taste like I ought to be chewing them. Having said that, on this night I'm also watching a rather interesting playoff football game being held in 5 degree weather and laughing at all the bare arms of the players, and I figure if the those dudes can bear the windchill on their arm cannons I can certainly man up and try this Mocha Stout.

It pours out unremarkably, with not much of a head, although in color it's a rich dark brown (like an espresso, amiright???). I get a good whiff of vanilla, and something just a bit sugary, but for me there's not much else in the nose except a little bit of metal, or maybe that's the fermentation? The oak? Listen: I warned you, I'm new to this stuff. I do quite like the taste: I definitely get the slightly bitter chocolate, a touch of acid, but it's also very smooth. There's only a slight carbonation. It's a little like drinking a tasty cold coffee drink. It's a happy mouthfeel, light and pleasant and certainly not too gooey, but it does lack some depth. Overall, I'd happily drink it again-- much to the delight of my husband, who has vowed to convert me to a stout believer. I think I can feel the chest hair growing as I write this!

TheVag, Jan 05, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

From the tin foiled, capped 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on January 4, 2014.

Boy do I love the way it looks. It's black as night, jet black, India Ink black and any other "blackness" you can think of with a soft, silky tan head that lingers and laces. 5 out of 5 for that.

The aroma has a decent balance of baker's chocolate and spent coffee grinds along with a more subtle dark fruit character along the lines of plums or prunes. It has an aged feel to it too as promised.

The body is full and luscious. 5 out of 5 for that.

The flavor begins with the coffee notes and then the chocolate notes come up from behind as if to say "Hey! We're here too!" Then there is this kind of dark bitterness that I cannot describe. It is not earthy, grassy, or floral like other hop characters but more like a deep burnt hop. Alcohol well-integrated. Very nice offering from Peak Organic.

puboflyons, Jan 04, 2014

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Wattie, Dec 23, 2013

Carpentiere, Dec 23, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a pitch black color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to a very small cap

S: Lots of roasted malts up front, along with a good amount of chocolate and coffee. A touch of oak comes through in the background. Very reminiscent of FBS

T: Starts off with the roasted malts and some astringent coffee. The chocolate and oak then make an appearance with the roast and coffee still lingering. Finishes with lingering coffee, which lends both a light bitterness and astringency. Alcohol goes completely unnoticed

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A touch too carbonated

O: A solid mocha stout with plenty of coffee and chocolate. On the milder side, as it never gets anywhere near being overly sweet. A nice winter sipper

BEERMILER12, Dec 15, 2013