Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha StoutPeak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.40% ABV

This is an extravagant, immoderate beer. We mixed together our three favorite things – beer, chocolate, and coffee. A rich stout serves as a backbone, with organic black malt and chocolate malt providing a luscious foundation. During the boil, we add artisan chocolate from your friends at Taza. During conditioning, we add coffee from our friends at Coffee by Design. Then, this concoction is oak-aged, resulting in soft vanilla notes. We hope you enjoy this beer as much as we do.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011)
3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Full disclosure: I'm new to the world of stout. I'm dipping my toe in, reluctantly and with a lot of whining, much to the dismay of my husband. I'm suspicious of beverages that taste like I ought to be chewing them. Having said that, on this night I'm also watching a rather interesting playoff football game being held in 5 degree weather and laughing at all the bare arms of the players, and I figure if the those dudes can bear the windchill on their arm cannons I can certainly man up and try this Mocha Stout.

It pours out unremarkably, with not much of a head, although in color it's a rich dark brown (like an espresso, amiright???). I get a good whiff of vanilla, and something just a bit sugary, but for me there's not much else in the nose except a little bit of metal, or maybe that's the fermentation? The oak? Listen: I warned you, I'm new to this stuff. I do quite like the taste: I definitely get the slightly bitter chocolate, a touch of acid, but it's also very smooth. There's only a slight carbonation. It's a little like drinking a tasty cold coffee drink. It's a happy mouthfeel, light and pleasant and certainly not too gooey, but it does lack some depth. Overall, I'd happily drink it again-- much to the delight of my husband, who has vowed to convert me to a stout believer. I think I can feel the chest hair growing as I write this!

4.36/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

From the tin foiled, capped 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on January 4, 2014.

Boy do I love the way it looks. It's black as night, jet black, India Ink black and any other "blackness" you can think of with a soft, silky tan head that lingers and laces. 5 out of 5 for that.

The aroma has a decent balance of baker's chocolate and spent coffee grinds along with a more subtle dark fruit character along the lines of plums or prunes. It has an aged feel to it too as promised.

The body is full and luscious. 5 out of 5 for that.

The flavor begins with the coffee notes and then the chocolate notes come up from behind as if to say "Hey! We're here too!" Then there is this kind of dark bitterness that I cannot describe. It is not earthy, grassy, or floral like other hop characters but more like a deep burnt hop. Alcohol well-integrated. Very nice offering from Peak Organic.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a pitch black color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to a very small cap

S: Lots of roasted malts up front, along with a good amount of chocolate and coffee. A touch of oak comes through in the background. Very reminiscent of FBS

T: Starts off with the roasted malts and some astringent coffee. The chocolate and oak then make an appearance with the roast and coffee still lingering. Finishes with lingering coffee, which lends both a light bitterness and astringency. Alcohol goes completely unnoticed

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A touch too carbonated

O: A solid mocha stout with plenty of coffee and chocolate. On the milder side, as it never gets anywhere near being overly sweet. A nice winter sipper

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

4.56/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was given a bottle of this on my birthday in 2011, and I allowed it to age in a cool dark pantry until spring 2013.

I've had this beer fresh, and while still a solid beer, around the 2 year age mark this beer, in my opinion, is elevated to a truly outstanding brew. In all honesty, I would place it on par with Founder's Breakfast Stout or Cask-Conditioned Old Rasputin when consumed in this manner.

I plan on buying more in the near future, and allowing them to age.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a great stout, and my ideal evening beer is a chocolate stout, espresso stout, or something of that sort. I haven't had one this good in a while.

True to it's name, it smelled like a mocha. It was like I had walked into Starbucks, but without the pretension and overly enthusiastic servers. The taste was true to form, maybe a little on the dark side which was just fine with me. And the mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth - I would've expected a little more fullness at the end but was pleased with the whole experience. This is a nice nightcap and I wished I could have a little every night for dessert.

4.74/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent taste, full rich flavor, no aftertaste, great head, long lasting. Chocolate flavor is not overpowering, coffee undertones are subtle. Great with pizza, and makes a great ice cream float, on a hot summer day. Best very cold, I usually put it in the freezer for 10 minutes, and a frozen mug is a must

Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout from Peak Organic Brewing Company