Shipyard Export Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Export AleShipyard Export Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Export Ale Alström Bros

phishinNYC, Jul 23, 2012

Jspriest, Nov 14, 2011

jfcaa193, Feb 15, 2012

Kyrojack, Jan 22, 2013
1.12/5  rDev -66.2%

drinkfella, Aug 23, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -62.2%

Look - Plain artwork, a bit boring, not much innovation went into this. Pours pale yellow and settles golden in the glass. Very fizzy, little to no head.

Smell - Very subtle aroma, lacks body and vigor.

Taste- Slightly malty, then carbonated, then watery as hell. Absolutely terrible.

Mouthfeel - Goes with the taste, dreadful and watery-sour.

Drinkability - Not appealing in the least, I poured out 3/4 of the frosted mug and had my friend drink the rest of them.

I would never purchase or drink this beer again, this is one of the worst beers I've ever reviewed. I don't think it had anything to do with storage or transport because I bought a variety pack and the other 2 types of beer in it were exceptional. Shipyard is usually good, but they missed the mark here, by a lot..

JMScowcroft, Apr 10, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -57.7%

I would not go so far as to say this is the worst beer I've ever had, that title is reserved for Natty Ice, but it ranks close. The Export tastes like vinegar mixed with Becks. After my first sip I immediately asked the bartender if the keg had gotten skunked or if the lines hadn't been cleaned since new years. He assured me that this was how the beer was supposed to taste and so I, not being one to waste beer, choked it down. Somewhere amidst the sickly sour taste and urea-yellow coloring I found a redeeming quality to this monstrosity; it goes great with pretzels. Something about the salty tang of a pretzel counterbalances the overly dry feel and bitter morningbreath taste of the Export ale. It will be a while before I try one of these again.

EddieTheTrooper, Oct 17, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -57.7%

Well, at least it looks like a palatable beer on the pour - it's a medium golden brown with a nice white head. I didn't keep the beer around long enough to find out about retention or lacing but it looked fine going down the drain.

The smell was a big warning sign. There were some roasted grain notes and an herbal hop of some sort but the nose was primarily diacetyl. The beer had a rather pronounced greasy, oily smell like old, nearly rancid butter.

Flavor was awful, just awful. Why don't these ratings go all the way down to zero? Whatever beer characteristics may have been present in this drink were completely masked by a toffee-butter flavor that unfortunately lingers well after you've finished the sip. Even the slight amount of hop bittering isn't enough to get rid of the horrid diacetyl aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was strongly affected by the overwhelming presence of diacetyl. The oily coating on the tongue seemed more oppressive than usual because of the lingering aftertaste. Body was medium, carbonation was typically rough for a force carbonated brew, bittering was on the light side for an APA.

Total drain pour here. I'm glad I only bought a single and I'm glad Trader Joe's only charged 85 cents - even at that price it wasn't worth it. Hell, at least Bud Light will deliver a "clean crisp taste" without the diacetyl. This beer is a perfect example of why Ringwood yeast can't be trusted in the hands of any brewer other than an expert.

RedwoodGeorge, Jul 13, 2006
1.6/5  rDev -51.7%

Presentation: I managed to pick up two more bottles of the rather excellent value for money Trader Joes 2005 Anniversary Ale (from Unibroue) recently, when I spied this “newbie” on the shelves. “Hmmm Shipyard” me thinks, well I’ll take a gamble; I’ll pick up a couple of bottles for less than a $1 a piece. Nice label I have to say.

Appearance: Decent enough on the eyes, middle earth amber with some residual copper tones. Slightly off-white head rises quickly and pops down to a broken covering. Good conditioning.

Nose: Odors were reminiscent of solidified fat and congealed lard, like that whiffed from a cold deep fryer in a Fish n’ Chip shop before it warms up. Light hops with a beer-fart backdrop.

Taste: Devon toffee, brown sugar, cloying Edinburgh Rock sweetness with the constitution of used Car Oil, from a Romanian Diesel tractor. Tastes like the smells from those Buses that run on vegetable oil made from rape seed. Sliding oil meniscus coats the flavor, sickly and sweet with tonnes of buttery toffee. Hard to forget, harder to enjoy.

Mouthfeel: Slicker than a well oiled slipway, with more lubrication than a Dutch Sex Shop, you could launch the Titanic on a gram of this low coefficient of friction viscous libation. Urgh.

Drinkability: REPULSIVE. Drowning in “D” it has nothing to even balance the buttery toffee slickness that becomes a sickening and cloying distraction. English Ales may very well have Diacteyl in them, but not at these levels. OK, so I’m at the Drinkability portion with half a bottle left. Sink looks good. Second bottle and I did not get past halfway with either of them.

Overall: I hope to God that they never truly Export this, England may very well have to invade the USA and retake its Colonial lands in order to destroy and demolish all Ringwood Breweries and replace them with updated Timothy Taylor clones……I can but hope.

Shockingly Awful.
Utterly Butterly.
I can’t believe it’s not Butter……but it is.

TheLongBeachBum, Jul 14, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -47.7%

Ah Shipyard Export! It's been too long. And I've never reviewed you! Someone left part of a sixer in my fridge, so here goes nothing!

12oz. bottle, best by May 2012.

Pours an attractive, clear gold with a nice two-finger head. Some lacing on the way down, solid retention.

The aroma is malty, with very noticeable diacetyl. Not my thing.

Butter bomb! Wow, I had forgotten how Export is such a shining example of diacetyl run amok. Sure you get a kiss of hops and some biscuity malt, but this thing is all diacetyl. It's sad actually, because there's not a whole lot else wrong with this beer. It's not too sweet, and there's no other bad flavors aside from a huge dose of that yeast-produced compound that most brewers avoid like the plague. The mouthfeel is a tad thin, very force-carbonated tasting.

Why am I drinking this? Oh yeah, it was free. Avoid this beer, unless you like drinking popcorn.

dasenebler, Nov 14, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -47.1%

sd123, Jun 19, 2014

Damian74Shensky, Dec 08, 2012

stormking, Jul 25, 2012

suckaj, Aug 03, 2014

JmBrkr, Jan 23, 2012

Mainelyhops, Sep 06, 2013

I can see the homage to British style beers Shipyard tends to make, but I've been to England and even the most dyed in the wool British pubster would have a hard time with the amount of butter in this beer. It dominates all else. Pour was a bit flat but not upsetting given the style, hop nose was non-existent, and the malt character was weak at best given its deep gold color. Also how can they call it and American Pale Ale when it taste far more like something from Yorkshire. Do they brew with the square or is their ringwood just really lazy. A bigger disappointment is that I had it at Federal Jacks "birthplace of Shipyard".

mooner, Jun 16, 2006

robuess, Jan 14, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -38.7%

I read all types of reviews and base a lot of my beer choices on this fact. This beer seemed right up my alley. Boy was I mistaken.

A - Nothing special here. Color was brackish and bland looking

S - I rate every beer as average on smell

T - Bitter and rich in nothing. Seems like they tried to do to much here

M - Left a terrible aftertaste. Almost like dry asparagus

O - Never again on my pallet

tjsmith910, Jun 29, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -38.7%

Picked up a bottle on a whim. Could not pass up a beer from the 'other' Portland.

Too bad I didn't like it. Has a strange off flavor kind of a weirdly sour sweet taste in the middle of the mouth. Kinda funny beer. I'm hoping I somehow got a weird one because, well, it's not my cup 'O.

Dubbercody, Aug 10, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -35%

On tap poured into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly deep golden/amber color with a very thin head. Nose is fairly malty as well but almost no hops for an APA.

Taste is a bit sharp and bitter quite carbonated. Something is a bit odd with this beer though, I had it with a couple others and we all thought it was a pretty poor beer, not easy to drink and didn't sit well with any of us, skip it.

kingcrowing, Jan 11, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -34.4%

This beer pours a light amber color with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is not very strong, but it it a little fruity. The flavor is very malty and it has something odd in the aftertaste - possibly burned caramel mixed with citrus. Not a bad beer, but I don't particularly like it.

clvand0, Jul 20, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -33.5%

Sampled out of the bottle. I didn't like it. Golden colored topped with a decent foamy off-white head. Spotty lacing. Malts dominate the hops here with some caramel, honey and oats. Tilts too heavy on the malts for my liking. A little syrupy as well.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -33.5%

Ugh, I gotta admit, not impressed. Transparent straw color with simple disappearing head. Pine hop aroma with similar tase, but has a spoiled sweet/bitter flavor. Perhaps this bottle was not taken care of properly, but I would rather have water than this again. Has this stale aftertaste and seems improperly carbonated. Just kinda "off" in general. I'll pass.

rokoch27, Oct 24, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -32%

I was very disappointed with this beer. The label advertises a "handcrafted ale"; that is not quite the description I would have applied. It seemed much closer to macro pilsner to me. I debated donating this one to my sink, but I gave it a fair shake.

A - It poured a pale golden color with no head and it left no lacing.

S - There was no aroma worth noting. Again, it reminded me of a macro brew.

T - The beer had some taste, though it was closer to a mass-produced pilsner than any sort of ale with which I am familiar.

M/D - The beer had a light texture, but far too much 'zing' from the carbonation for my tastes.

taylocd, Jun 14, 2009
Shipyard Export Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.