Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Shipyard Export Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Export AleShipyard Export Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Export Ale Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -61%

Look - Plain artwork, a bit boring, not much innovation went into this. Pours pale yellow and settles golden in the glass. Very fizzy, little to no head.

Smell - Very subtle aroma, lacks body and vigor.

Taste- Slightly malty, then carbonated, then watery as hell. Absolutely terrible.

Mouthfeel - Goes with the taste, dreadful and watery-sour.

Drinkability - Not appealing in the least, I poured out 3/4 of the frosted mug and had my friend drink the rest of them.

I would never purchase or drink this beer again, this is one of the worst beers I've ever reviewed. I don't think it had anything to do with storage or transport because I bought a variety pack and the other 2 types of beer in it were exceptional. Shipyard is usually good, but they missed the mark here, by a lot..

1.46/5  rDev -56.2%

I would not go so far as to say this is the worst beer I've ever had, that title is reserved for Natty Ice, but it ranks close. The Export tastes like vinegar mixed with Becks. After my first sip I immediately asked the bartender if the keg had gotten skunked or if the lines hadn't been cleaned since new years. He assured me that this was how the beer was supposed to taste and so I, not being one to waste beer, choked it down. Somewhere amidst the sickly sour taste and urea-yellow coloring I found a redeeming quality to this monstrosity; it goes great with pretzels. Something about the salty tang of a pretzel counterbalances the overly dry feel and bitter morningbreath taste of the Export ale. It will be a while before I try one of these again.

1.46/5  rDev -56.2%

Well, at least it looks like a palatable beer on the pour - it's a medium golden brown with a nice white head. I didn't keep the beer around long enough to find out about retention or lacing but it looked fine going down the drain.

The smell was a big warning sign. There were some roasted grain notes and an herbal hop of some sort but the nose was primarily diacetyl. The beer had a rather pronounced greasy, oily smell like old, nearly rancid butter.

Flavor was awful, just awful. Why don't these ratings go all the way down to zero? Whatever beer characteristics may have been present in this drink were completely masked by a toffee-butter flavor that unfortunately lingers well after you've finished the sip. Even the slight amount of hop bittering isn't enough to get rid of the horrid diacetyl aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was strongly affected by the overwhelming presence of diacetyl. The oily coating on the tongue seemed more oppressive than usual because of the lingering aftertaste. Body was medium, carbonation was typically rough for a force carbonated brew, bittering was on the light side for an APA.

Total drain pour here. I'm glad I only bought a single and I'm glad Trader Joe's only charged 85 cents - even at that price it wasn't worth it. Hell, at least Bud Light will deliver a "clean crisp taste" without the diacetyl. This beer is a perfect example of why Ringwood yeast can't be trusted in the hands of any brewer other than an expert.

1.64/5  rDev -50.8%

Presentation: I managed to pick up two more bottles of the rather excellent value for money Trader Joes 2005 Anniversary Ale (from Unibroue) recently, when I spied this “newbie” on the shelves. “Hmmm Shipyard” me thinks, well I’ll take a gamble; I’ll pick up a couple of bottles for less than a $1 a piece. Nice label I have to say.

Appearance: Decent enough on the eyes, middle earth amber with some residual copper tones. Slightly off-white head rises quickly and pops down to a broken covering. Good conditioning.

Nose: Odors were reminiscent of solidified fat and congealed lard, like that whiffed from a cold deep fryer in a Fish n’ Chip shop before it warms up. Light hops with a beer-fart backdrop.

Taste: Devon toffee, brown sugar, cloying Edinburgh Rock sweetness with the constitution of used Car Oil, from a Romanian Diesel tractor. Tastes like the smells from those Buses that run on vegetable oil made from rape seed. Sliding oil meniscus coats the flavor, sickly and sweet with tonnes of buttery toffee. Hard to forget, harder to enjoy.

Mouthfeel: Slicker than a well oiled slipway, with more lubrication than a Dutch Sex Shop, you could launch the Titanic on a gram of this low coefficient of friction viscous libation. Urgh.

Drinkability: REPULSIVE. Drowning in “D” it has nothing to even balance the buttery toffee slickness that becomes a sickening and cloying distraction. English Ales may very well have Diacteyl in them, but not at these levels. OK, so I’m at the Drinkability portion with half a bottle left. Sink looks good. Second bottle and I did not get past halfway with either of them.

Overall: I hope to God that they never truly Export this, England may very well have to invade the USA and retake its Colonial lands in order to destroy and demolish all Ringwood Breweries and replace them with updated Timothy Taylor clones……I can but hope.

Shockingly Awful.
Utterly Butterly.
I can’t believe it’s not Butter……but it is.

1.77/5  rDev -46.8%

Ah Shipyard Export! It's been too long. And I've never reviewed you! Someone left part of a sixer in my fridge, so here goes nothing!

12oz. bottle, best by May 2012.

Pours an attractive, clear gold with a nice two-finger head. Some lacing on the way down, solid retention.

The aroma is malty, with very noticeable diacetyl. Not my thing.

Butter bomb! Wow, I had forgotten how Export is such a shining example of diacetyl run amok. Sure you get a kiss of hops and some biscuity malt, but this thing is all diacetyl. It's sad actually, because there's not a whole lot else wrong with this beer. It's not too sweet, and there's no other bad flavors aside from a huge dose of that yeast-produced compound that most brewers avoid like the plague. The mouthfeel is a tad thin, very force-carbonated tasting.

Why am I drinking this? Oh yeah, it was free. Avoid this beer, unless you like drinking popcorn.

1.99/5  rDev -40.2%

I can see the homage to British style beers Shipyard tends to make, but I've been to England and even the most dyed in the wool British pubster would have a hard time with the amount of butter in this beer. It dominates all else. Pour was a bit flat but not upsetting given the style, hop nose was non-existent, and the malt character was weak at best given its deep gold color. Also how can they call it and American Pale Ale when it taste far more like something from Yorkshire. Do they brew with the square or is their ringwood just really lazy. A bigger disappointment is that I had it at Federal Jacks "birthplace of Shipyard".

2.07/5  rDev -37.8%

I read all types of reviews and base a lot of my beer choices on this fact. This beer seemed right up my alley. Boy was I mistaken.

A - Nothing special here. Color was brackish and bland looking

S - I rate every beer as average on smell

T - Bitter and rich in nothing. Seems like they tried to do to much here

M - Left a terrible aftertaste. Almost like dry asparagus

O - Never again on my pallet

2.1/5  rDev -36.9%

Picked up a bottle on a whim. Could not pass up a beer from the 'other' Portland.

Too bad I didn't like it. Has a strange off flavor kind of a weirdly sour sweet taste in the middle of the mouth. Kinda funny beer. I'm hoping I somehow got a weird one because, well, it's not my cup 'O.

2.2/5  rDev -33.9%

On tap poured into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly deep golden/amber color with a very thin head. Nose is fairly malty as well but almost no hops for an APA.

Taste is a bit sharp and bitter quite carbonated. Something is a bit odd with this beer though, I had it with a couple others and we all thought it was a pretty poor beer, not easy to drink and didn't sit well with any of us, skip it.

2.21/5  rDev -33.6%

Sampled out of the bottle. I didn't like it. Golden colored topped with a decent foamy off-white head. Spotty lacing. Malts dominate the hops here with some caramel, honey and oats. Tilts too heavy on the malts for my liking. A little syrupy as well.

2.23/5  rDev -33%

I was very disappointed with this beer. The label advertises a "handcrafted ale"; that is not quite the description I would have applied. It seemed much closer to macro pilsner to me. I debated donating this one to my sink, but I gave it a fair shake.

A - It poured a pale golden color with no head and it left no lacing.

S - There was no aroma worth noting. Again, it reminded me of a macro brew.

T - The beer had some taste, though it was closer to a mass-produced pilsner than any sort of ale with which I am familiar.

M/D - The beer had a light texture, but far too much 'zing' from the carbonation for my tastes.

2.23/5  rDev -33%

This beer pours a light amber color with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is not very strong, but it it a little fruity. The flavor is very malty and it has something odd in the aftertaste - possibly burned caramel mixed with citrus. Not a bad beer, but I don't particularly like it.

2.23/5  rDev -33%

Ugh, I gotta admit, not impressed. Transparent straw color with simple disappearing head. Pine hop aroma with similar tase, but has a spoiled sweet/bitter flavor. Perhaps this bottle was not taken care of properly, but I would rather have water than this again. Has this stale aftertaste and seems improperly carbonated. Just kinda "off" in general. I'll pass.

2.27/5  rDev -31.8%

Individually bought yesterday for $1.33, on to the beer:

It starts off promising with its appearance; bright pale blonde with a big crackling head. Odd aroma of sour grains and a touch of grapefruit. The flavor is alright, but hints of ink spoil part of it. A touch of herbal and kissed with citrus, all tied to a mild astringency. I tried to like it, but I didn't. It's light enough to drink easy, but that damn ink-tasting off-flavor takes a lot of will to consume.

2.36/5  rDev -29.1%

Hazy golden color with a small white frothy head that doesn't last long. Bready, buttery aromas, has bready, grainy and butterscotch flavors, it is light to medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel, finishes a bit sour, not all that great, glad I only bought a single bottle.

2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Pumpkin orange with a good clarity shows a strong and rapid rise of effervesce. A cream colored head is frothy and quick to collapse on top leaving no signs of lacing from its presence.

S: The aroma had instances of fresh green corn stalks, damp grains, and a finish of musky citrus, thankfully light enough in strength not to lower the rating any more.

T: Sweet dried corn, green leafy hops with a musky grain character. Sweet instances off set by wet hay. The flavor proceeds through a struggle of sweet and sour flavor, sour corn mash with buttered bread. Conflicting and not particularly good overall flavor wise. Leafy green stalks are left on the swallow.

M: light and buttery slick, the carbonation tame on the tongue.

O: A bit below average falvorwise in my book, kind of disorganized, coarse with an overall flavor that really doesn’t bind and flow well together, comes off as a mess. Cannot see a repurchase in the future.

2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

I had this at Miller's ale house in Langhorne PA.
Poured into a pint glass poured a golden color with very little white heading that dispates quickly.

Smell is malty with a fruity spicey smell and a also very yeasty.

Taste is almost identical except for the fact of the horrible aftertaste of a dryness funk is how I can only explain it.

Mouth is not to good for me. Very flat medium-bodied beverage.

Drink is still not to good I really couldn't drink even two of these.

2.41/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance: Pours a light copper with a thick off-white head and vigorous bubbles.

Aroma: Quite a bit of malty sweetness. Slightly grainy tones. Minimal hops present.

Taste: Malt dominates the palate. Again, a cereal flavor with little hops and a slighly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Quite light throughout, with the sweet malt giving some weight to the finish.

Drinkability: Nothing special by any means. Quite light and lacking in character. Won't try again.

2.45/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured a clear amber orange with a very thin lingering white head.

Smell has a light bready malt quality to it.

Has a big Butterscotchy Diacytel flavor with a bit of toasted malt. A light bit of pine hops are in the finish, but not enough to compesate for the Diacytel taste that just lingers.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Overall just can't get past the off flavors. Would definitly avoid in the future.

2.46/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Dark golden with a huge frothy and sudsy white head; lacing is okay

S: A strange metallic and chemical aroma on top of sour grains and finally a pleasant herbal and citrus hop aroma--eventually this smells pleasant but the initial nose is odd and rather unpleasant at best

T: Like the aroma this starts off with an odd metallic and chemical flavor which eventually settles to some beer normalcy; bready grains and light citrus hops but then the odd flavors come back--this seems off

F: Fairly decent body with a pleasant stickiness--I just wish I liked the flavors that were sticking to them

O: This beer just doesn't work; I don't know what it's supposed to be but it just doesn't work as it is; something is off; I'm glad I just bought one as I don't think I will ever come back to this beer

2.46/5  rDev -26.1%

This brew poured a creamy white head of fine to largely sized bubbles that lasted a long time and left a good lacing. Its body was a clear thin amber-orange color. I thought this brew was very smooth from start to finish with a light bitter flavor throughout. It had a mild bread hop aroma to it that was not very complex and rather on the plain side.

2.46/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Purchased from Vulcan Beverage, Birmingham, AL.

My first beer from Maine? Yeah, I think so.

A: Dark orange body, thin white head. Head looks like soapscum. Decent enough.

S: Malty breadiness. Slight hop presence upon first being poured, disappears as the beer sits.

T: Buttery flavor, slight malt in the aftertaste. No hops. Drinkable.

M: Thin, watery.

D: I'll finish this one, but won't buy it again. Decent enough, I suppose.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a golden brown color ale with a small bubbly head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Aroma of rough barley with this weird Shipyard yeast which doesn’t really fit my taste buds. Taste of rough grain and yeasty finish don’t really get me excited and leave me wondering where this is going. Average body with some adequate carbonation. I recently went through quite a few beers from those folks and I didn’t find anything that excited me.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

I wonder if the taps condition at the local establishment did not affect this pour/beer since I can not imagine many folks enjoy this beer in this condition. Poured a dark gold with no head or lacing but just a small collar that stayed with the beeer throughout. Beer was almost totally flat. Smell was not much of a presence either with very light notes of toasted malt and yeast. No fruit or sweetness in the smell which aligned closely with the taste of this beer. Not much in the line of flavor or mouthfeel with little no no carbonation. Not a beer I will be trying again.

2.53/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a translucent gold with a 1 finger head. Aroma mostly grainy and malty, hint of grass, butterscotch and a slight funk. Malt forward, cereal and a little yeasty, hints of caramel and somewhat buttery in the finish. Has a slickness to it from the buttery flavor, light body, finishes a bit off to me.

Shipyard Export Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.