Shipyard Light Ale (Pre-2004) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Light Ale (Pre-2004)
No picture uploaded.

good

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

American Blonde Ale |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-21-2001)
Reviews by gwfrankpsu:
1.4/5  rDev -45.1%

Man! This is an awful beer, why make a micro with no taste. I would have rated it lower, but the company that makes Fuggles IPA can do betterand I want to give some encourgement. DO NOT DRINK THIS, Budweiser (I haven't had one in five years) is better.

gwfrankpsu, Aug 21, 2001
3.6/5  rDev +41.2%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off long neck bottle, “best enjoyed before” date clearly notched. Picture of a New England lighthouse on a bright sunny day on the label.

Appearance: Light golden hue with a quite active carbonation, head forms quickly through comes and goes just as quick to leave a very thin white lace behind.

Smell: Taffy candy and faint buttery toffee in the nose with a little hop, candied fruit and some malted grain in the aroma also.

Taste: Light to medium bodied, prickly crisp carbonation with a thin yet creamy mouth feel. Malt is light and on the thin side with the crispness and fermented twang of wheat malt. Relatively dry, the only sign of sweetness is upfront with the malt and a faint buttery toffee diacetyl. Hops are there just to balance with a mellow bitterness and don’t leave too much flavour to the imagination. Finish is clean with fading grain and a leftover twang from the wheat and hops.

Notes: One of the lightest ales I have ever had, a good amount of flavour for a smaller beer. Reminiscent of an English Style Ordinary Bitter or a lighter coloured mild ale. 110 calories & 3.9% abv.

Jason, Sep 01, 2001
2.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Packed into a "Captain's Collection" sample pack...

A very pale brew with slight marginal head on the glass and no lacing properties. Very slight diacetyl aroma, but there's little help for this beer for better or worse as far as smell goes. Thin mouthfeel, some wheat characteristics and a mild bitterness overall. Hops seem minimal. Finishes slightly astringent but with little overall in the memory department. Not horrendous, and while I can't recommend it, its interesting to see an attempt at a "diet" Ale rather than a Lager...

ADR, May 20, 2003
2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

buzzy, Feb 28, 2014
3.23/5  rDev +26.7%

I couldn't help but read the other reviews, and despite the bashing it took by very well respected beer advocates, I didn't find this beer that bad. A hard pour produced dark yellow, but not quite golden color, with a fizzy white head that evaporated in seconds. Some beer, hop (saaz?) smells. Tasted very beerlike, I expected much worse. Decent middle of some malt and a crisp hoppy kick, still very light and thin bodied. Some roasted corn smells and taste near the bottom, but not that bad. A little unpleasant aftertaste, but overall it's still a drinkable beer. (Note: I had this after working out, so maybe I am just ovelry thirsty.)

StevieW, Jul 22, 2002
1.68/5  rDev -34.1%

Yet another case of being lured into a discount buy at my local package store: Shipyard Light Ale, $3.99 for 6. I just had to go for it, since i've had a few of Shipyard's beers and thought they were above average.

But upon the pour, i'm real frightful. Absolutely no smell, even after rudely sniffing the beer from the bottle. The beer pours to a nasty malt liquor/apple juice yellow with absolutely no head and no hints at lacing.

First taste does not give a good impression. Very uneven and rough, a nasty grain feel and piercing aftertaste. My first observations were right, no lacing at all. At 3.9% ABV and 110 calories, an absolute waste of time. Could be better than the big three (but I couldn't tell you, its been so long) but at least its brewed by a micro ... only slightly redeeming.

A bad sickly sweet taste leaves a bad taste in my mouth - has a horrible nutra-sweet taste too. Again, I can only be positive in the fact that I am not purchasing from BudMillerCoors.

GreenWBush, Dec 07, 2003
3.18/5  rDev +24.7%

Sweet quality to aroma. Pale malt, light hops. Somewhat light, like an Am. lager, but lighter, fruitier and more pleasing.
Very loud fizzy head. Pours huge and settles exceedingly quickly. Dark gold, clear.
Pale malt flavor, dry with slight sweet water taste. Fairly sweet overall, but somehow pleasing. Mild bitterness on finish. I fear the bitterness getting excessive if it warms too much.
Thin and watery.
For a single glass this was fine, maybe even a little better. But one would be enough.

garymuchow, Nov 09, 2003
2.15/5  rDev -15.7%

This brew pours a pale straw color with no head and no lace. The smell of light malts and and light hops fill the nose. This brew has the same smell as the well known big three. The first sip reminds of a stronger Coors light. The flavor of light malt and no hops are preasant on the palate. I am so glad that this is not Shipyards only beer, and that they do make somewhat good beers, I am just not happy with this.

Cheers

kunzbrew, Feb 10, 2003
2.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Uh-oh! A 12 oz. bottle whirlwind pour of fizziness and two inch thick off-white head. Wow for a light BA review. Finally the mountains died down to a coating. Good show, especially for a light dust cutter.

Malty robust spice ale scents hit the ole nostrils under a slick suds blanket.

Hmmm…to reiterate, I am writing a BA review on a Light Beer on BA. Watch out for the lightning strike. This light is actually not bad. A tasty light offering with a balance of malts and a twinge of hops, but YIKES in a 110 calorie & 5 carbohydrate (did I write that?) bottle.

Some chewy depth to this light.

Last swigs: SHIPYARD Light Ale warms up to a malty sipper. I am stumped. Butter my bottle cap and call me sweet Sally. Too bad that this is now an extinct dinosaur of a beer. New SHIPYARD Light has just been revealed. A worthy light contender.

Beer is good. Happy light beering.

blitheringidiot, Jun 06, 2004
3.7/5  rDev +45.1%

Very pale gold color, although not the yellow of the standard American light beer, a small fast fading head of white foam.
Not much in the way of aroma, very light caramel and a bit of floral hops.
Light bodied with a bit of a thin mouthfeel, flavor is sweet malt with just a bit of of herbal hops to achieve a nice balance.
A really good beer for a light, good drinkability, just not my style.If you want a light beer, this will beat most of them for flavor.

MaineBeerMan, Nov 30, 2002
2.03/5  rDev -20.4%

About the best I can say is that I liked the level of carbonation. Too bad carbonation doesn't add flavor. I thought this brew was a waste of time, which is a shame because I'd hate to see Shipyard's reputation diminished on account of this beer.

doerickson, Sep 02, 2002
1.45/5  rDev -43.1%

Pale, pale, paleishly pale ambery color...no head of which to speak
Aroma: clean...vapid...non-existent, really...lagery, with a trace of corn, if I'm not imagining it...
Taste: none....oh, maybe a little, if I look really hard...here we go...mmMMMMM...okay...a trifle caramelly sweet, if only by a hair...finish vanishes rapidly ....positively no body, no texture
I'm sorry this thing exists, and that anyone thought that it should, that any effort was wasted on production, design, promotion, ...it's a waste.....
Got this in a "The Captain's Collection" sampler 12-pack, 3 of 'em...hey, who wants 2 bottles of nothing?

feloniousmonk, May 10, 2003
Shipyard Light Ale (Pre-2004) from Shipyard Brewing Co.