Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 2,423 | Reviews: 845
4.15/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Sorry it's one of my favorite pumpkin beers.

This beer is amazing, favorite beer by far.

3.85/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer, but to be honest I couldn't have more than one at a time, as it's very sweet. As for flavour, it's one of my preferred pumpkin beers.

Pumpkinhead is really excellent for cooking, especially in slow cooker recipes. The flavours make for a really nice touch in stews.

3.66/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a lot of pumpkin beer and this one is definitely worth a try.

Spicy ass pumpkin amazingness!!! My favorite pumpkin beer!

4.2/5  rDev +40.9%

Word word word word word

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy, pale, orange color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved away into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds that gathered in the center of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very pumpkin-y, with strong notes of spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and brown sugar. However, I get next to nothing in the way of hops.

Taste: A lot like the aroma. Strong notes of pumpkin and spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, all-spice and brown sugar. There is not much in the way of malt nor is there any hops bitterness to speak of, which I overall prefer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 4.5%, there is absolutely no presence of alcohol on the palate. This is a true session beer!

Overall: This is a decent pumpkin beer, but not great. Some ok flavors of pumpkin and spice. I certainly won’t search it out again, but if offered, I’m not turning it down. There are tons of better pumpkin beers out there. If you need to get a pumpkin beer from Shipyard, go for the Pugsley Smashed Pumpkin instead. Its a far superior beer!

1.87/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

No. Just no. Keep your squash out of your beer.

Good seasonal brew, serve ice cold.

2.19/5  rDev -26.5%

With the sugar/cinn gimmick it's ok for a few sips. Overall, not a good beer.

1.97/5  rDev -33.9%

Thin, watery, lifeless -- flavored with way too much cinnamon.
This is literally the worst pumpkin beer I've had. Even Shock top is miles ahead of this -- and that's saying something.
Tastes like a cheap bottle of 60 cent soda from a gas station.
Really bad, SHIPYARD. I've never liked a single beer you've brewed, and now you've literally insulted me with this.
*drain pour*
Cheers.

3.32/5  rDev +11.4%

Serving Type: 12 oz. Can

A- Pours a Clear Golden liquid that lacks a proper head. The appearance of this beer is quite lacklustre and lacks anything that could impress.

S- If you enjoy Pumpkin Pie, this beer may excite you to high levels... damn this beer smells amazing. Although it doesn't exactly smell like "pumpkins", this beer smells uncannily like Pumpkin Pie.

T- Much like the aroma, the taste is full of Pumpkin Pie. Surprisingly, this flavour doesn't really come off as too sweet and is quite nice. Once again, this beer does NOT taste like Pumpkins but it does taste an awful lot like Pumpkin Pie and that is a treat I happen to enjoy greatly!

M- Unfortunately, the great aromas and flavours are presented by mouthfeel/body that reminds me of a budget beer (think Busch, Keystone, etc.) or any other cheap Lager. The body is extremely weak and the carbonation reminds me of a soft drink. Extremely disappointing for a beer with such a great aroma and taste.

O- While this Pumpkin Ale tastes quite great (although not pumpkin tasting at all), the appearance and mouthfeel ultimately prevent it from being a solid brew. Sure, if you can get past the look and body and focus on taste and aroma only, this is a pretty decent beer. Due to the fact that I think this beer tastes damn good, I don't mind suffering through a (excuse my language) shit appearance and body. While I wouldn't recommend this beer because of its qualities as a whole, I do recommend it for its aroma and taste.

2.21/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Cinnamon flavor is too overpowering.

2.56/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer did not settle well with me. It had too much spice to it, and the choice of spice did not taste very good (despite the pleasant odor).

4.15/5  rDev +39.3%

Great pumpkin beer that you can have a few of and not have to much of a buzz

I hated giving this a good rating, but I is commonly around in October and was a good change from the hoppy stuff. It was complex with cinnamon and maybe orange

2.15/5  rDev -27.9%

A- straw colored, it just looks thin, with minimal head.
S-the best way I can describe it is skittles. Nothing in the area of pumpkin spice is detected.
T-yeesh. A little bit of orange peel... With a bit of.. Skittles. And all spice.
F- thin and watery, not exactly my ideal pumpkin beer.
Overall- pass. Hard pass.

3.31/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pouring an orange gold, Shipyard Pumpkinhead gives off a heavy head of cinnamon smells. The other pie spices are more subdued, with a whisp of vanilla or graham cracker. It starts sweet and smooth, but transitions to a higher carbonation and a watery body in short order. The flavors are pretty much based in cinnamon, but theres a touch of pumpkin, hints of other spices, and a little bitterness to the gourd like flavor. The aftertaste is super short, just a touch squashy, a hint of honey and cinnamon

I really like this brew. one of my favorite pumpkin ales.

3.13/5  rDev +5%

12-oz can into nonic glass

A - amber body under three fingers khaki head; moderate amount of rising carbonation

S - malty with pumpkin pie spice, not much to it

T - malty with cinnamon and nutmeg, touch of vanilla, subtle notes of grass

M - smooth light body, moderate carbonation

O - middle-of-the-road pumpkin ale

Appearance: golden amber color

Overall: If you really like a pumpkin taste, this beer is for you. It has taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet, and of course pumpkin. Good fall beer, especially if you want a pumpkin fix.

1.25/5  rDev -58.1%

Found this on sale at the local distributor on Halloween; 12 oz cans. Real harrible; just terrible.

4.75/5  rDev +59.4%

I rate this one closer to tops. Do not know why. I have had 24 pumpkin beers this year and that number is going up each days. Shipyard smashed pumpkins is better but it costs so much more that I cannot say it is better. All beer should be rated on a cost to ounce scale and that is how I come to saying you BRO's are so wrong on this one but so right on many other styles. I want pumpkin pie in My pumpkin beers and I get this solidly in this and you guys can eat your Pumpking ratings because you rate on cool factors and pumpking is a pumpkin beer with little spice and a high alcohol rating and price. Shipyard only follows O'Fallon Pumpkin in my book and if you count the years I went pumpkin you can say I am rating on 60+ although I am new to this site. Pumpking is pumpkin pulp ipa and lame on seasoning. At least this beer has it and is a six pack for a 22 oz bottle of the smashed pumpkin which wins in my book over Pumpking. Kings are dead and the prime ministers and presidents rule and I will go with this beer over it any day and O'Fallon is my pumpkin beer king if price matters. Not alcohol content.

3.05/5  rDev +2.3%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden amber colored with a short white head that dissipates leaving a little lacing, clear

S: light pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove

T: the flavor is pretty intense pumpkin pie spice but artificial, sweet, slight flavor of Sprite

M: watery and flat

O: Meh, it isn't that offensive. Think of it as the Bud Light Lime of pumpkin beers.

1.5/5  rDev -49.7%

way too flowery, couldn't finish a bottle

to view more.
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.