Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001)
Reviews by stouty1:
2.7/5  rDev -9.4%

Okay so this has no head, no smell, and no taste.

A: Golden yellow like a Pilsner. No head at all, just fizz.

S: First whiff smelled like pee. Second whiff had a far off distant pumpkin. I have Halloween decorations that smell more like pumpkins.

T: Caronated like a Sprite with a slight finish of pumpkin.

M: Carbonation hurts my mouth and throat. Watery, no body.

D: I could drink these, but i don't want to.

stouty1, Oct 15, 2006

A: 5/5 Looks great! Radiant in the glass

S: 5/5 Smells like pumpkin pie!!! Nutmeg and spice and pumpkin and malt.

T: 5/5 Exactly like it smells but even more intense. How is that possible?? Huge cinnamon roll things going on, plenty of vanilla as well. Spectacular!

M: 5/5 Velvety and smooth. Perfect.

O: 5/5 Literally flawless interpretation of the style.

franklinn, Sep 27, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

Well I made many trips here this past week because it was in the same town where I had my honeymoon.This one sells like crazy,why?Anyways pours an incredably light color for a pumpkin ale with almost no head,aroma is crazy spicey-cinnamon and allspice and nutmeg.Taste hits hard with the spice when first hits your taste buds,way to much nutmeg and cinnamon after a few it mellows a little but definently not a top notch pumpkin ale.

oberon, Oct 18, 2003
3.44/5  rDev +15.4%

Dekhar, Aug 28, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

aszatk01, Sep 19, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

It pours lager yellow with maybe a bit more copper. There is a thin white head that does not last too long. Little lacing and ample carbonation.

This is not what I expected. It didn't look, smell, or taste like an ale. It was just too light. I did like the spiciness of the beer - nutmeg and cinnamon (pumpkin pie), but if it had been backed up by a more robust platform I would have enjoyed it more. 1 beer maybe enough for most.

ExtraStout, Sep 11, 2010

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

OhioBobcat, Aug 09, 2013

npala86, Aug 21, 2013

tbryan5, Sep 28, 2013
1.9/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this at a fall wedding. It was either this, Bud, Coors or Heineken. I had never had this and generally I love pumpkin ales.

Light orange/yellow in color. Fizzy, looks like a soda. Smells like a pumpkin pie without the pumpkin (if that's possible). The taste was awful. Tasted like a bad ale mixed with water and pumpkin pie spices, very minimal pumpkin flavor. It was easy to drink because it had so little flavor.

In the future, I will choose water, juice or soda over this beer.

Straz85, Sep 16, 2009

coffee84, Oct 03, 2014

MikeC144, Apr 09, 2014
3.28/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

*I originally posted this a month or two back under the wrong Shipyard pumpkin ale (Eli's). This Pumpkinhead Ale is the one I meant to review*

Cinnamon ahoy! I cant believe the amount of cinnamon in this beer! I dont have the most distinguished palate, but this is a blast in the face! There are also apple tones present. Very interesting. I gave the taste a (relatively) high score for this beer, but I dont know if I should have. It kind of belongs in a catagory of all its own - cinnamon beer. There is so much more of that than any noticeable pumpkin flavor. Compared to other pumpkin ales, this one would rank low, as it doesnt seem to really follow the guidelines. I liked the taste, though, so it gets a 3.5 in that area.

All that being said, there is not too much else notable about this Pumpkin ale. It is very light colored, which is a bit of a turnoff. Same blast of cinnamon in the nose. Light, sharp mouthfeel to match.

I think after more than one of these beers, things would get way too sicky-sweet, and possibly nausea-inducing. I definitely wouldnt want a whole six pack. Low drinkability.

chOAKbarrell, Nov 03, 2005
3.52/5  rDev +18.1%

joel_bou, Oct 12, 2014
2.94/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Was surprised by the lighter coloring of this Pumpkin Ale. Coloring reminded me of a
Sunkist soda diluted with white cream.

S- Initial smell was pumpkin followed by cinnamon & some nutmeg. But sadly, that disappears quickly.

T- First taste after pouring into a pint glass is of a cold piece of pumpkin pie the day after Thanksgiving. After that its more like a pumpkiny soda

M- Very thin & not much body

O- Was my first crack @ this Shipyard seasonal. I wouldn't make it a point to get it again but if I was offered one I'd gladly accept.

BigMarty1980, Oct 05, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer is a pale yellow color with a fairly good head to it. The smell s predominately spicy, but I have a difficult time appreciating pumpkin. The taste is pretty bland, but at least I can taste some nutmeg. OK to drink, just not very exciting. I've tasted better pumpkins.

lordofthewiens, Dec 18, 2005

xgoodyx, Oct 29, 2012

DaftPatrick, May 11, 2014

csmartin6, Sep 12, 2013

heddar33, Apr 08, 2014

DWolf, Sep 07, 2013
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.