2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

poor

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,756 | Reviews: 772 | Show All Ratings:
callmeclemens

Honestly Say what you will, here I go once again disagreeing with the Bro's.

Upon moving into my new apartment next september, a buddy brought me a sixer of this to bring in the fall spirit to my new apartment. I poured a glass of this opened the windows threw in Creature from the black lagoon and sat back.

The beer pours a beautiful deep orange like holding the glass up to the fall foliage right outside my window, my view of the forest. It tasted of slight pumpkin cinnamin, nutmeg, and brown sugar, maybe a bit bready, with a lager mouthfeel, combining the whole situation you could not have picked a better beer. I anxiously await september and this beer being in my fridge.

Maybe I judge beer in a strane way, but this beer to me embodie the season, just as much as the smell of dry leaves, and the crunch underfoot, warm afternoons and cold nights. Thank you Shipyard.

07-23-2011 19:00:56 | More by callmeclemens
jkeymaginnis

4.88/5  rDev +66.6%

This is one of my favorite beers ever. It is not too pumpkin-y and still tastes like beer without being weak. I love the color, and every fall I look forward to it with bells on. Unfortunately hard to find on tap outside of new england. I have love the feel and if you take your time with this beer you'll understand how good it is. Only down side is for some people it may be too "drinkable". I like that personally.

10-30-2012 01:13:24 | More by jkeymaginnis
iSTOLEyourPOPE

4.85/5  rDev +65.5%

Easily one of my favorite beers. When served at a bar, make sure to get cinnamon on the glass. If your friends give you a hard time, knock them out with the empty 24oz.

It smells great. The spice is clearly there.

The taste is amazing. Good hit of cinnamon. To me, the cinnamon is stronger than the pumpkin, which is a good thing.

I just wish it was sold year round.

09-20-2010 04:22:10 | More by iSTOLEyourPOPE
CaptJackHarkness

4.83/5  rDev +64.8%

Twelve ounce bottle freshness dated to March 2013.

Aroma has a malty sweet scent slight trace of grassiness. Pours a hazy orange yellow with large off white head. No lacing of glass. Clean pumpkiny taste, not over spiced or pumpkin PIE flavored. No bitter aftertaste, very crisp.

12-10-2012 00:03:46 | More by CaptJackHarkness
JGargano

4.74/5  rDev +61.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one of my favorite fall pumpkin offerings. It has a nice balance of pumpkin flavor, sweetness, and a slight kick. It tastes "pumpkin-y" without being overwhelming. I can easily drink 2 or 3 before having to switch to something lighter. This is the beer I most look forward to around late August, and the one I drink most frequently throughout the season.

03-16-2013 18:39:50 | More by JGargano
ChrisNYCLIDC

4.71/5  rDev +60.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite pumpkin/fall seasonal beer. I know it can be a bit sweet for some and the pumpkin flavor tastes a bit synthetic not exactly fresh, but I find it the most addictive to drink. Not a super dark or heavy ale taste for fall seasonal. A pumpkin beer that I dont get sick trying to drink more than one at once. Definitely a bit girly with the cinnamon/sugar rim, but the taste I've grown to associate with fall.

12-19-2013 03:02:58 | More by ChrisNYCLIDC
BlueHammer

4.7/5  rDev +60.4%

After having one of my favorite brews on-tap, I HAD to go get it in the bottle... Mmmm, I love Autumn!!! The taste from the bottle was not as clear as when on tap but I did notice that the tast started to improve as it got warmer (I don't think I gave the on-tap brew enough time to get warmer!).... However, the pumpkin taste still came through strongly. It has that autumn spice flavor, somewhat pumpkiny and somewhat nutmeggy. Bottle or tap, I highly recommend this brew!

09-19-2006 22:20:41 | More by BlueHammer
JonesBoy

4.58/5  rDev +56.3%

First off, the bottle labeling is very cool, one of my favorites.

A: Light gold apperance with nice lacy head. This beer looks very enticing.

S: Has very subdued pumpkin spice smell. It's nice to pick up the light scent as it temps and is not overpowering.

T: Tastes light, smooth, and refreshing with a slight pumpkin pie finish that just makes you smile. Again, the taste is not over-powering or sweet. I think I could easily chug myself into intoxication with this stuff.

M: Mouthfeel is light, smooth mellowness, like should I savor each gulp or just down this whole thing now.

O: My overall opinion was I should have bought as much of this as I could find. I get this beer so cold, because it is so smooth to drink and erases all thirst. That being said, it still goes down very well as it warms up and the spices seem to dance. I think this is a great pumkin beer, and I'm proud to drink it and review it. Try it, it's a winner

10-27-2012 02:45:03 | More by JonesBoy
Jayli

4.47/5  rDev +52.6%

This beer pours a golden yellow with very little head, and little to no lacing.
By and far the scent and taste are what do it for this beer. If you are not in to fruity, flavored beers this is definitely not for you. That being said - the scent of this beer immediately are of the nutmeg and cinnamon spices used. The taste mimics the scent. At first sip you are hit with the nutmeg and cinnamon, with slight pumpkin undertones to it.
I personally think this is the best pumpkin beer that I've had. I think the strong use of spices enhance the pumpkin flavoring. It certainly isn't your traditional pumpkin beer.

09-21-2008 04:15:17 | More by Jayli
viaingo

Maine

4.47/5  rDev +52.6%

Type: Pumpkin Wheat Ale
Color: Golden
Body: Fizzy. Very carbonated. It may ward people off but I am accustomed to it.
Head: white and disappears quickly
Taste: spicy but not overpowering. You can certainly taste the cinnamon and pumpkin. A bit tarty but light.
Aroma: I am a spice guy so I love the overbearing spice smell to it. Its like a spicy pumpkin pie. Delicious.

If you add brown sugar and cinnamon to the rim of your glass this beer is complete. This review may sound like a fan boy reviewing his favorite brew and I don't care. This beer symbolizes many traditions in the North East. Shipyard delivers around the country so if you have the chance to try this amazing seasonal beer please leave your review below.

11-17-2011 02:01:59 | More by viaingo
corsico

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +51.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Just to provide what is seemingly a different opinion, I'd like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I've had a hard time finding a beer that has the pumpkin flavor I crave come October, but for my money, this one delivers.

Drank this one straight from the bottle.

S: Can definitely smell the spices above anything else, including some sweetness. It smells like Halloween.

T: And it even tastes like Halloween! The pumpkin flavor is upfront and full-force, as it's the first thing I taste, followed by a wash of cream and spice, then thinning out and dissipating. The finish is amazing. The pumpkin just sits on your tongue and lingers for a few moments before fading.

M: It is, admittedly, a bit thin and doesn't last long, but to me, it makes this beer more drinkable. It's easily paired with beef or pork, especially with brown gravy. I personally paired this one with some Hausmacher Goulash and it was fantastic.

Perhaps some of the others got a hold of a bad batch or something, because I say the pumpkin flavor is one of the strongest ones I've had, and that's including Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat, Cottonwood Pumpkin, Terrapin Pumpkinfest and others. If you want a beer that tastes like pumpkin and has a lot of spice to back it up, give this a shot.

10-01-2011 21:50:57 | More by corsico
KingsAce

4.4/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the top pumpkin beers. The reviews above are a touch harsh for a beer that sells out of its seasonal stock (3 month's worth) in 2 weeks.

The beer is very flavorful, has great drinkability and is considered among many as one of the best pumpkin beers out there.

It is a must try during the Halloween/Thanksgiving season.

12-26-2011 08:06:46 | More by KingsAce
Portertime

4.38/5  rDev +49.5%

I enjoyed this beer although not as complex as some. It had a taste of straight pumpkin pie complete with whipped cream but not overly sweet. A hint of cinnamon was noted. I liked the logo of the legendary headless horse man from Sleepy Hollow. This is a definite halloween time treat.

09-12-2006 02:29:06 | More by Portertime
drjim34

4.38/5  rDev +49.5%

This beer, like many Shipyard brews takes a lot of criticism. I for one am a big fan of Pumpkin Beers, and try to taste as many as I can. This one is not my favorite, but is definitely in my top 3. I could break everything about this beer down like a typical review, but let’s look at this beer from a different angle. It is what it is supposed to be. A fun seasonal with a limited run of a few months. Summer is over, and my taste buds are ready for the change in styles. It’s fun to drink, talk about, and serve at a party, or Oktoberfest. Pair it with pumpkin fudge, or pumpkin pie. I do a pumpkin taste at my annual Oktoberfest party (this year w tried 8), and this beer always finishes 1 or 2 in the rankings. If you like spicy (nutmeg/cinnamon/all spice) then this is for you. Something different then the norm. I use it as my transition to Harpoon’s Winter Warmer.

10-02-2007 19:05:45 | More by drjim34
mackd27

4.38/5  rDev +49.5%

I was one of the folks that thought the world was over when Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale disappeared. Love this beer a lot more. Great smell, flavor and went down nicely. I was amazed at the low ratings. I bought 6 different 6 packs this year of different kinds of Pumpkin beer and this by far was my favorite. The others included

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

My TODO for 2012 is Terrapin Pumpkinfest

11-09-2012 06:28:41 | More by mackd27
Blupoet03

4.33/5  rDev +47.8%

Poured golden-amber with a thin white head, bubbling nicely afterwards.

The nose is spicy, fully of nutmeg, cloves, and sweetness. The taste is like pumpkin pie in a glass. The hops show up with a slight bite at the end.

I think this is a great pumpkin ale, and as usual with beers that I like, I can't find much to say about it. It's a great drink to get yourself into the autumn spirit.

09-19-2007 01:29:41 | More by Blupoet03
deltatauhobbit

Maine

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden yellow with very little head.

The aroma and taste are the best features of this beer. Has a strong spice smell and taste that stays with the beer the entire time. Can be overwhelming if consuming too much at a time, but is perfect when coupled with holiday food offerings, especially pie.

One of the better pumpkin ales I've had since this beer is about lots of spice that just slaps your face over and over with each sip, while others of this variety aim for a more subtle approach.

Edit: Oh review, it's been awhile. How are you doing? Well, I'd like to say my opinion hasn't changed, but it has. I can't guzzle you down like I used to, actually, I don't really care for you all that much unless you're on-tap, and even then I don't like you as much anymore. My original review scores are staying put, just because I've changed doesn't change how I once felt about you Pumpkinhead. I will always remember how your empty bottles filled my entire table until I turned you in for bottle money.

12-03-2007 02:30:19 | More by deltatauhobbit
jdamaso84

4.33/5  rDev +47.8%

I'm having a hard time figuring out why this brew isn't deserving of a little more respect.

It's sweet, but that's intended. I like that Shipyard wasn't afraid to come hard with the pumpkin flavor, even if it meant by way of artificial seasoning.

Pumpkinhead Ale is light, but don't be fooled; it finishes heavier than what a stare through the glass would suggest. The aromas are plentiful, just like pumpkin pie, and it's surprisingly smooth, albeit perhaps a little over-carbonated.

Personally, my favorite thing about Shipyard Pumpkinhead is it "tastes" the season. You're not chasing a mild hint of Fall flavors, which is what I've found in other brews. This plays the part - even if a little light - of a Fall seasonal brew to perfection.

08-11-2010 02:06:10 | More by jdamaso84
jenks216

4.3/5  rDev +46.8%

well lets start off to say I really like pumpkin ale. This was recommended by a good friend of mine and I thank him for that. I just moved from MA to Minnesota so I will not be able to have this for some time. Right off the bat the smell gets you.. smells just like a pumpkin pie and that can be great for some people. the pumpkin taste is all there in full form and is really easy to drink. Its a perfect beer for when the weather is starting to turn cold as this beer will warm you right up.This beer really hit home for me, reminds me off good times and good company.

08-26-2010 03:17:44 | More by jenks216
bloomlax33

4.3/5  rDev +46.8%

I was a little nervous about trying this beer after reading about it on here...I picked up a 6 pack of this at the local grocery store, I was craving a pumpkin beer...I was very happy with everything as it relates to this beer. This is not the best pumpkin beer I have had, that remains with Dogfish Head, but still a very decent beer.

08-27-2011 23:38:22 | More by bloomlax33
TastyTaste

4.28/5  rDev +46.1%

VEry light gold color for a pumpkin ale, looks like a standard macro lager. Smell is perfect for what pumpkin ale should be, like chai and pumpkin pie filling, the spices are well balanced and remind me of Autumn. The taste is a nice mix of a light malt and hop flavored beer with a good dose of pumpkin pie spices. I like it, although I wish they would've gone higher ABV, making the an Autumn Warmer, maybe? Anyways, this is by far the best pumpkin ale I have had, I wish there were more representations of the style around.

09-11-2005 00:13:52 | More by TastyTaste
tkach

4.28/5  rDev +46.1%

This is a home-state favorite and I love it. Shipyard has got some decent stuff but this is head over heals amazing!

Appearance is of a mid-dark amber with a very light tan almost white head to it.

Smell I would compare NOT to pumpkin pie but to pumpkin bread, it must be the right combination of spices that makes it smell more like the bread to me.

Taste is amazing. As someone who always looks for something new this really hits the spot. Great with chicken and a salad! Has the perfect combination of pumpkin and spice and it tastes very fresh. It still tastes very much like an ale but the right combination makes it irresistable.

Mouthfeel is probably the lower side of this. The aftertaste is great with its pumpkin spice flavor but seems to go a bit chalky and dry quick.

Drinkability just worked for me, with the clean cold delicious flavor you can just drink it like nothing. This is my beer to love, especially on a nice clear hot fall day with friends gathered around the table having a good time!

01-04-2008 03:12:52 | More by tkach
SleepyDrunk

Wisconsin

4.23/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance- a translucent white-orange - thin white head.

Aroma- Not a very powerful aroma - but hints of cinnamon and pumpkin come through.

Flavor- The best flavor in a pumpkin beer I've ever had. A nice balance between the spiciness of the cinnamon and the sweetness of the pumpkin. As far as pumpkin beers go, this is on the lighter side.

Mouthfeel- Smooth mouthfeel that encapsulates all of the pumpkiny goodness. A very sweet finish.

Overall- Of all the pumpkin beers I've tried, this is far and away my favorite. The poor reviews from the community is very surprising. I have yet to find another brewery that strikes a balance as well as Shipyard does with Pumpkinhead. A New England favorite! So good that I get it shipped out to me in the fall.

10-03-2013 00:29:07 | More by SleepyDrunk
WeymouthMike

4.22/5  rDev +44%

I couldn't believe the poor ratings that this has received when I looked up pumpkin beers. Well, anyway, I loved this beer and it is tied for my #1 pumpkin beer along with Boston Beer Works pumpkin. This beer has just the right amount of spice and no slimy after feel that some people wrote about. I also, supplied this at a party and people loved this as well as the Post Road that I had supplied which was also a hit.

11-02-2004 19:05:59 | More by WeymouthMike
musicjustintime

4.22/5  rDev +44%

This is THE BEST pumpkin ale I've ever had...so far. It TRULY tastes like a slice of pumpkin pie...and is OH-so yummy! Almost one to have after dinner! (Much like a slice of...pumpkin pie!) Very nice smell, and not hoppy in the least. Very smooth, a bit sweet, and all the wonderful spices in a pumpkin pie, so perfectly balanced. I'm truly impressed...and now after having one of these...I'd splurge and buy a whole case for the fall! EXCELLENT! I highly recommend if you like this sort of thing. Perfect seasonal, for sharing with friends under a moonlit, October night....or even during and after Thanksgiving dinner! SAAALUTE to you, my BA friends AND friends at Shipyard!

09-09-2007 01:42:56 | More by musicjustintime
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.