Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 866 | Hads: 2,585

A: 5/5 Looks great! Radiant in the glass

S: 5/5 Smells like pumpkin pie!!! Nutmeg and spice and pumpkin and malt.

T: 5/5 Exactly like it smells but even more intense. How is that possible?? Huge cinnamon roll things going on, plenty of vanilla as well. Spectacular!

M: 5/5 Velvety and smooth. Perfect.

O: 5/5 Literally flawless interpretation of the style.

Honestly Say what you will, here I go once again disagreeing with the Bro's.

Upon moving into my new apartment next september, a buddy brought me a sixer of this to bring in the fall spirit to my new apartment. I poured a glass of this opened the windows threw in Creature from the black lagoon and sat back.

The beer pours a beautiful deep orange like holding the glass up to the fall foliage right outside my window, my view of the forest. It tasted of slight pumpkin cinnamin, nutmeg, and brown sugar, maybe a bit bready, with a lager mouthfeel, combining the whole situation you could not have picked a better beer. I anxiously await september and this beer being in my fridge.

Maybe I judge beer in a strane way, but this beer to me embodie the season, just as much as the smell of dry leaves, and the crunch underfoot, warm afternoons and cold nights. Thank you Shipyard.

My favorite beer I've ever tried. I absolutely love and cherish every sip!

Golden light color. You can taste the cinnamon and pumpkin in every sip, truly an amazing beer!

4.87/5  rDev +69.1%

This is one of my favorite beers ever. It is not too pumpkin-y and still tastes like beer without being weak. I love the color, and every fall I look forward to it with bells on. Unfortunately hard to find on tap outside of new england. I have love the feel and if you take your time with this beer you'll understand how good it is. Only down side is for some people it may be too "drinkable". I like that personally.

4.84/5  rDev +68.1%

Easily one of my favorite beers. When served at a bar, make sure to get cinnamon on the glass. If your friends give you a hard time, knock them out with the empty 24oz.

It smells great. The spice is clearly there.

The taste is amazing. Good hit of cinnamon. To me, the cinnamon is stronger than the pumpkin, which is a good thing.

I just wish it was sold year round.

4.8/5  rDev +66.7%

Twelve ounce bottle freshness dated to March 2013.

Aroma has a malty sweet scent slight trace of grassiness. Pours a hazy orange yellow with large off white head. No lacing of glass. Clean pumpkiny taste, not over spiced or pumpkin PIE flavored. No bitter aftertaste, very crisp.

4.75/5  rDev +64.9%

I rate this one closer to tops. Do not know why. I have had 24 pumpkin beers this year and that number is going up each days. Shipyard smashed pumpkins is better but it costs so much more that I cannot say it is better. All beer should be rated on a cost to ounce scale and that is how I come to saying you BRO's are so wrong on this one but so right on many other styles. I want pumpkin pie in My pumpkin beers and I get this solidly in this and you guys can eat your Pumpking ratings because you rate on cool factors and pumpking is a pumpkin beer with little spice and a high alcohol rating and price. Shipyard only follows O'Fallon Pumpkin in my book and if you count the years I went pumpkin you can say I am rating on 60+ although I am new to this site. Pumpking is pumpkin pulp ipa and lame on seasoning. At least this beer has it and is a six pack for a 22 oz bottle of the smashed pumpkin which wins in my book over Pumpking. Kings are dead and the prime ministers and presidents rule and I will go with this beer over it any day and O'Fallon is my pumpkin beer king if price matters. Not alcohol content.

4.73/5  rDev +64.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one of my favorite fall pumpkin offerings. It has a nice balance of pumpkin flavor, sweetness, and a slight kick. It tastes "pumpkin-y" without being overwhelming. I can easily drink 2 or 3 before having to switch to something lighter. This is the beer I most look forward to around late August, and the one I drink most frequently throughout the season.

4.71/5  rDev +63.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite pumpkin/fall seasonal beer. I know it can be a bit sweet for some and the pumpkin flavor tastes a bit synthetic not exactly fresh, but I find it the most addictive to drink. Not a super dark or heavy ale taste for fall seasonal. A pumpkin beer that I dont get sick trying to drink more than one at once. Definitely a bit girly with the cinnamon/sugar rim, but the taste I've grown to associate with fall.

4.69/5  rDev +62.8%

After having one of my favorite brews on-tap, I HAD to go get it in the bottle... Mmmm, I love Autumn!!! The taste from the bottle was not as clear as when on tap but I did notice that the tast started to improve as it got warmer (I don't think I gave the on-tap brew enough time to get warmer!).... However, the pumpkin taste still came through strongly. It has that autumn spice flavor, somewhat pumpkiny and somewhat nutmeggy. Bottle or tap, I highly recommend this brew!

4.56/5  rDev +58.3%

First off, the bottle labeling is very cool, one of my favorites.

A: Light gold apperance with nice lacy head. This beer looks very enticing.

S: Has very subdued pumpkin spice smell. It's nice to pick up the light scent as it temps and is not overpowering.

T: Tastes light, smooth, and refreshing with a slight pumpkin pie finish that just makes you smile. Again, the taste is not over-powering or sweet. I think I could easily chug myself into intoxication with this stuff.

M: Mouthfeel is light, smooth mellowness, like should I savor each gulp or just down this whole thing now.

O: My overall opinion was I should have bought as much of this as I could find. I get this beer so cold, because it is so smooth to drink and erases all thirst. That being said, it still goes down very well as it warms up and the spices seem to dance. I think this is a great pumkin beer, and I'm proud to drink it and review it. Try it, it's a winner

4.5/5  rDev +56.3%

I'm surprised by the 69 BA rating, and angry about the bros 41 score. Without being prejudiced by the label or description, Pumpkinhead simply delivers a great tasting and refreshing product in this category. And unlike the more expensive Pumple Drumkin ($11 for 6), this one is inexpensive, widely available, and tastes like what it says it tastes like. I look forward to this one each fall.

4.46/5  rDev +54.9%

This beer pours a golden yellow with very little head, and little to no lacing.
By and far the scent and taste are what do it for this beer. If you are not in to fruity, flavored beers this is definitely not for you. That being said - the scent of this beer immediately are of the nutmeg and cinnamon spices used. The taste mimics the scent. At first sip you are hit with the nutmeg and cinnamon, with slight pumpkin undertones to it.
I personally think this is the best pumpkin beer that I've had. I think the strong use of spices enhance the pumpkin flavoring. It certainly isn't your traditional pumpkin beer.

4.45/5  rDev +54.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Just to provide what is seemingly a different opinion, I'd like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I've had a hard time finding a beer that has the pumpkin flavor I crave come October, but for my money, this one delivers.

Drank this one straight from the bottle.

S: Can definitely smell the spices above anything else, including some sweetness. It smells like Halloween.

T: And it even tastes like Halloween! The pumpkin flavor is upfront and full-force, as it's the first thing I taste, followed by a wash of cream and spice, then thinning out and dissipating. The finish is amazing. The pumpkin just sits on your tongue and lingers for a few moments before fading.

M: It is, admittedly, a bit thin and doesn't last long, but to me, it makes this beer more drinkable. It's easily paired with beef or pork, especially with brown gravy. I personally paired this one with some Hausmacher Goulash and it was fantastic.

Perhaps some of the others got a hold of a bad batch or something, because I say the pumpkin flavor is one of the strongest ones I've had, and that's including Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat, Cottonwood Pumpkin, Terrapin Pumpkinfest and others. If you want a beer that tastes like pumpkin and has a lot of spice to back it up, give this a shot.

4.42/5  rDev +53.5%

Type: Pumpkin Wheat Ale
Color: Golden
Body: Fizzy. Very carbonated. It may ward people off but I am accustomed to it.
Head: white and disappears quickly
Taste: spicy but not overpowering. You can certainly taste the cinnamon and pumpkin. A bit tarty but light.
Aroma: I am a spice guy so I love the overbearing spice smell to it. Its like a spicy pumpkin pie. Delicious.

If you add brown sugar and cinnamon to the rim of your glass this beer is complete. This review may sound like a fan boy reviewing his favorite brew and I don't care. This beer symbolizes many traditions in the North East. Shipyard delivers around the country so if you have the chance to try this amazing seasonal beer please leave your review below.

4.38/5  rDev +52.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the top pumpkin beers. The reviews above are a touch harsh for a beer that sells out of its seasonal stock (3 month's worth) in 2 weeks.

The beer is very flavorful, has great drinkability and is considered among many as one of the best pumpkin beers out there.

It is a must try during the Halloween/Thanksgiving season.

4.35/5  rDev +51%

I enjoyed this beer although not as complex as some. It had a taste of straight pumpkin pie complete with whipped cream but not overly sweet. A hint of cinnamon was noted. I liked the logo of the legendary headless horse man from Sleepy Hollow. This is a definite halloween time treat.

4.35/5  rDev +51%

This beer, like many Shipyard brews takes a lot of criticism. I for one am a big fan of Pumpkin Beers, and try to taste as many as I can. This one is not my favorite, but is definitely in my top 3. I could break everything about this beer down like a typical review, but let’s look at this beer from a different angle. It is what it is supposed to be. A fun seasonal with a limited run of a few months. Summer is over, and my taste buds are ready for the change in styles. It’s fun to drink, talk about, and serve at a party, or Oktoberfest. Pair it with pumpkin fudge, or pumpkin pie. I do a pumpkin taste at my annual Oktoberfest party (this year w tried 8), and this beer always finishes 1 or 2 in the rankings. If you like spicy (nutmeg/cinnamon/all spice) then this is for you. Something different then the norm. I use it as my transition to Harpoon’s Winter Warmer.

4.35/5  rDev +51%

I was one of the folks that thought the world was over when Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale disappeared. Love this beer a lot more. Great smell, flavor and went down nicely. I was amazed at the low ratings. I bought 6 different 6 packs this year of different kinds of Pumpkin beer and this by far was my favorite. The others included

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale
Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Ale
Buffalo Bills Pumpkin
Lakefront Pumpkin Ale

My TODO for 2012 is Terrapin Pumpkinfest

4.34/5  rDev +50.7%

well lets start off to say I really like pumpkin ale. This was recommended by a good friend of mine and I thank him for that. I just moved from MA to Minnesota so I will not be able to have this for some time. Right off the bat the smell gets you.. smells just like a pumpkin pie and that can be great for some people. the pumpkin taste is all there in full form and is really easy to drink. Its a perfect beer for when the weather is starting to turn cold as this beer will warm you right up.This beer really hit home for me, reminds me off good times and good company.

4.32/5  rDev +50%

Poured golden-amber with a thin white head, bubbling nicely afterwards.

The nose is spicy, fully of nutmeg, cloves, and sweetness. The taste is like pumpkin pie in a glass. The hops show up with a slight bite at the end.

I think this is a great pumpkin ale, and as usual with beers that I like, I can't find much to say about it. It's a great drink to get yourself into the autumn spirit.

4.31/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden yellow with very little head.

The aroma and taste are the best features of this beer. Has a strong spice smell and taste that stays with the beer the entire time. Can be overwhelming if consuming too much at a time, but is perfect when coupled with holiday food offerings, especially pie.

One of the better pumpkin ales I've had since this beer is about lots of spice that just slaps your face over and over with each sip, while others of this variety aim for a more subtle approach.

Edit: Oh review, it's been awhile. How are you doing? Well, I'd like to say my opinion hasn't changed, but it has. I can't guzzle you down like I used to, actually, I don't really care for you all that much unless you're on-tap, and even then I don't like you as much anymore. My original review scores are staying put, just because I've changed doesn't change how I once felt about you Pumpkinhead. I will always remember how your empty bottles filled my entire table until I turned you in for bottle money.

4.31/5  rDev +49.7%

VEry light gold color for a pumpkin ale, looks like a standard macro lager. Smell is perfect for what pumpkin ale should be, like chai and pumpkin pie filling, the spices are well balanced and remind me of Autumn. The taste is a nice mix of a light malt and hop flavored beer with a good dose of pumpkin pie spices. I like it, although I wish they would've gone higher ABV, making the an Autumn Warmer, maybe? Anyways, this is by far the best pumpkin ale I have had, I wish there were more representations of the style around.

4.29/5  rDev +49%

I'm having a hard time figuring out why this brew isn't deserving of a little more respect.

It's sweet, but that's intended. I like that Shipyard wasn't afraid to come hard with the pumpkin flavor, even if it meant by way of artificial seasoning.

Pumpkinhead Ale is light, but don't be fooled; it finishes heavier than what a stare through the glass would suggest. The aromas are plentiful, just like pumpkin pie, and it's surprisingly smooth, albeit perhaps a little over-carbonated.

Personally, my favorite thing about Shipyard Pumpkinhead is it "tastes" the season. You're not chasing a mild hint of Fall flavors, which is what I've found in other brews. This plays the part - even if a little light - of a Fall seasonal brew to perfection.

4.27/5  rDev +48.3%

This is a home-state favorite and I love it. Shipyard has got some decent stuff but this is head over heals amazing!

Appearance is of a mid-dark amber with a very light tan almost white head to it.

Smell I would compare NOT to pumpkin pie but to pumpkin bread, it must be the right combination of spices that makes it smell more like the bread to me.

Taste is amazing. As someone who always looks for something new this really hits the spot. Great with chicken and a salad! Has the perfect combination of pumpkin and spice and it tastes very fresh. It still tastes very much like an ale but the right combination makes it irresistable.

Mouthfeel is probably the lower side of this. The aftertaste is great with its pumpkin spice flavor but seems to go a bit chalky and dry quick.

Drinkability just worked for me, with the clean cold delicious flavor you can just drink it like nothing. This is my beer to love, especially on a nice clear hot fall day with friends gathered around the table having a good time!

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.