2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

poor

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,756 | Reviews: 772 | Show All Ratings:
bewareOFpenguin

This was beyond bad. Very light cloudy color. Tasted like cold Earl Grey tea. No body, hops and surprisingly, pumpkin taste. This was the FIRST brewpub beer I could only finish two sips then quit. I asked for my money back. My wife thought I was insane. This beer is an embaressment to Federal Jacks. And the barkeep had the nerve to say that it was better than Gritty's pumpkin.

12-02-2002 06:51:17 | More by bewareOFpenguin
Wamesit

A- Pours overly bright and thin. Looks like tonic.

S- Smells like apple-pumpkin candy.

T- Tastes like pumpkin-esque soda. Sharp, harsh. Artificial.

M- Unreal with the carbonation. Horrid.

D- Nightmare. If this were alcohol-free (which prove to me it isn't) and was marketed as a pumpkin soda I still wouldn't drink it.

12-17-2010 07:11:37 | More by Wamesit
KarlHungus

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within seconds into nothing. The aroma is of ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. The spice is so strong that it not only burns my nostrils it also burns the back of my throat. The taste is similar to the aroma with the same burning sensation. The mouthfeel is thin with a watery texture. Overall, this is a awful beer that I hope I never have to look at again much less drink.

09-12-2011 03:19:41 | More by KarlHungus
jtierney89

Pale fizzy gold color with lots of visible carbonation, thin lace of head, very soft orange highlights. Smells like a pumpkin pie candle with a bit too much cinnamon added.

Lightest pumpkin beer i've ever had. But i'm not getting that lager mouth feel everyone else is talking about. But has the body of something like an extremely light Kolsch. Tastes like cinnamon and all spice, semi sweet with a slightly sour finish. Lingering brown sugar sweetness. Tastes more like a cinnamon brown sugar flavored malternative beverage than a beer. Not undrinkable, but severely disappointing, doesnt remind me of the fall or the hearty beers that come with it. I imagine people who love faux-craft would probably love this.

Definitely the worst pumpkin beer i've had.

09-04-2012 02:54:00 | More by jtierney89
Kolsch

1.01/5  rDev -65.5%

12oz bottle shared with wife.

Appearance: very light amber orange

Smell: kind of like burning oil right after you changed the oil in your lawn mower

Taste: Putrid and very grainy, like it needed strained. This would have been a drain pourer if the wife didn't finish it and really can't believe she did. Just couldn't handle the smell.

Overall: avoid unless your partial to vomitting.

10-21-2009 00:33:46 | More by Kolsch
FunkyFibes

1.02/5  rDev -65.2%

Color is an orange hue with a fizzy head that vanishes into the night. I smell thin lager with a brush of pumpkin spice...not a drop of pumpkin in this beer. Flavor mimics the nose with nothing to offer over a light lager flavor with a dash of pumpkin spice. I was immensely disappointed by this one, not worth a thought.

09-11-2011 05:09:48 | More by FunkyFibes
Todd

Colorado

1.1/5  rDev -62.5%

Pale yellow, very cidery in appearance, with a fizzy white head that you can literally hear sizzle its way into a head of nothing. I'd expect something a bit more robust looking to usher my palate into the fall with this beer.

No real pumpkin aroma, but rather the spices employeed when baking traditional pumpkin pies. Label states "Malt beverage with pumpkin spice added" -- says nothing about actual "pumpkin."

Very thin, and even though this is an ale (I use the term loosely) it has that cheap lager feel on the palate -- fizzy and bland. Speaking of fizzy, the carbonation is over the top. Not a hint of maltiness. Sweetness tastes contrived, as does the pumpkin spice flavour. Touch of sour in the background along with a moment of astringency. Finish goes dry with a semi-husky feel.

Hands down one of the worst Pumpkin Ales that I've ever tasted, and ranks up there with my worst beers ever. Save your money. Avoid this beer at all costs. This is not what New England style Pumpkin Ales are about.

09-29-2002 14:51:37 | More by Todd
maxpower

Missouri

1.15/5  rDev -60.8%

Clear and bright golden-orange color with a small off white head that doesn't last long, no lacing either, aroma of spices, pumpkin and insect repellent? Some spice and pumpkin flavor hard to taste over the nasty chemical flavor. Light body with a light and crisp mouthfeel, something is terribly wrong with this one, I had to dump it.

11-24-2004 14:03:54 | More by maxpower
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

1.18/5  rDev -59.7%

Well I've read enough negative press about this beer but I gotta check it out for myself.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is (WTF?) golden in color and fairly clear? Not exactly what I would expect in a pumpkin ale. A quick burst of white head dissapated before I could even sit down. No lacing to speak of.

The aroma is faint pumpkin spice. Real faint. It's like someone two blocks away baked a pumpkin pie and I have my window open. Some sweet malt can be picked up but overall not much nose on this one at all.

The flavor is not good. That's an understatement. It has a metalic apple cider taste goin on. Slight cinnimon and putrid grain. Sour and acrid. This is an abomination of a beer. Buffalo bills pumpkin thinks this beer sucks.

Light body with heavy carbonation. I can't really say anymore about the mouth feel since it's almost impossible to let it sit in my mouth.

Overall I guess the hype was spot on. I know you're not supposed to bag on a beer but this one deserves a beat down. This is not a beer you want to cross your lips.

10-13-2009 23:58:09 | More by beerwolf77
ccrida

Oregon

1.2/5  rDev -59%

This beer is so bad, I'm not gonna waste much time with the review. It poured with a big white head that quickly disappeared, is ridiculously effervescent, a clear, piss yellow.
Smell is very generic beer graininess with some pie spices.
Taste is terrible, gawd it's off, no malt or anything remotely resembling ale, like cinnimon flavored seltzer.
Moutfeel is paper thin.
This is the first beer I've dumped out in as long as I could remember. I wouldn't have had more then a sip if I wasn't reviewing it...as it was, I had about 5, which was 5 to many.

10-19-2007 01:23:28 | More by ccrida
billyhongkong

1.2/5  rDev -59%

quite possibly one of the worst beers i have ever had. please avoid this beer at all costs. i was in the grocery store and wanted to buy some smuttynose pumpkin ale which i was very happy with but all they had in the way of pumpkin ale was this so i purchased it hoping it would be as good as the smuttynose. when i drank it i think i cried a little bit... and then threw up in my mouth a little bit. it makes me sad that the people who brew this beer actually think this is worth selling

12-15-2008 07:07:51 | More by billyhongkong
kimbo33

1.2/5  rDev -59%

Maybe the worst tasting craft beer on the market. The cinnamon taste was overwhelming...but not a good cinnamon...more of a big red flavor. Really tastes like they used very bad extracts on this one. The malt flavor is also poor, might not be too bad, but the crappy pumpkin flavor along with the awful cinnamon overpowers anything else this beer has to offer.

01-02-2011 02:38:34 | More by kimbo33
IrishRedRock

1.23/5  rDev -58%

So I'm waiting for a phone call, hopefully from some high ranking government official, to tell me I've been drugged and the experience I'm having of drinking this beer isn't happening. Or maybe they're calling to tell me that Shipyard accidentally bottled Grandma's perfume and sent it to their distributors, and somehow it ended up in my glass. I'd be happier with the former situation.

To put it bluntly, this beer sucks from start to finish, and am amazed they are even proud of or even find this acceptable enough to slap a label on and let anyone outside of the brewery sample it. Pumpkin ale? Pours a fizzy golden color, so un-pumpkin ale, with a quickly dying fizzy white head. Aromas of spicy women's perfume, new clothes (it reminds me of how Macy's smells) and wet cinnamon sticks. Flavor of cooked veggies, clove, spices, vanilla, corn, and one of the nastiest saltine cracker aftertastes I've ever encountered. A bit too carbonated and fizzy on the palate.

I guess the intent here was a pumpkin ale, but this is waaay off the mark, in nearly every way. Absolutely no malt character anywhere in this; it's all artificial spices. I doubt any pumpkins died in the creation of this ale, which tastes a lot more like a crappy lager with a cinnamon stick in it.

I can count the number of beers I've ever dumped on one hand, and this is another finger to count. An absolute mess.

09-28-2005 03:15:10 | More by IrishRedRock
chrisssm

1.23/5  rDev -58%

we were having a pumpkin ale night and this was in the beginining of the night. the first thing that we noticed was the label stating that this was a "malt beverage with pumpkin spice". this was the first indication that it wasn't going well for this beer. after the first taste we were a little disappointed. after the second, we were done. last year, we felt that this was a great representation of pumpkin ale. what happened with this year is unknown. hopefully, next year will be better. we will not give up this just yet.

10-10-2005 04:19:36 | More by chrisssm
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

Why I did this to myself I will never know. Had an autumn seasonal tasting session and this rounded it out. Poured a clear light orange, big white fizzy head faded almost immediatly, like in 2 secs. No lace, very thin looking overall. Smell was musky, pumpkin spice, almost a moldy smell to it, and very very strong. Overpowering musky dank smell. The taste followed the smell. Too strong, and I mean strong sour taste, actually made me wince. Super strong pumpkin spice flavor, almost like an extract. Huge fizzy carbonation. I did not think this would be as bad as it was, I normally like spiced/seasonal brews, this one just overpowered me.

02-27-2007 00:36:57 | More by mikesgroove
chumba526

Oregon

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

This so called Pumpkin Ale was Given to me as a gift from Freinds; it was a nice thought for my freinds to think of me when on vaxation passing a beer shop. a nice thought, though the beer could not be catorgorized as anytrhing close to nice. its ironic that it is called pumpkin head and is consitered a pumpkin ale as THEIR IS NO PUMPKIN IN IT.

10-23-2009 22:39:58 | More by chumba526
waltonc

Colorado

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

Worst pumpkin beer I've ever had, and that's saying something since I've also had Buffalo Bills. Looks fine - orange/gold color with white head. A sniff of this beer assaulted my olfactory senses - harsh, abrasive spices smelled less like pumpkin pie and more like a blend of cleaning supplies and toilet pucks. The smell was possibly the worst attempt at getting me to sip a beer... ever. But sip I did, since I paid six bucks for it on tap. But the taste followed in the smell's footsteps, and had an oddly sour component that just didn't work with the spices. Watery body and high carbonation rounded out this undrinkable brew. So sip I stopped, and ordered another RR Temptation instead. This is a drain pour.

10-31-2009 16:28:48 | More by waltonc
jersk8

Maine

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

Was accidentally poured this when I asked the bartender for a Halloween Ale.
oh well why donyt you try it anyways. I usually avoid Shipyard products, but here goes. Looks like beer as it is brown with foam on top, but there the similarity ends.
it smelled like an old batch of pumpkin pie spice that had been in the cupboard too long. It tasted like a really bad pumpkin pie that had been regurgitated. Cloying, way over spiced and too pumpkiny. I heve nothing against this style BTW. Smuttynose pumpkin ale is a seasonal favorite, but this has no subtleties, balance or sense of overall finish. Gave it back and asked for the halloween

04-29-2011 10:27:15 | More by jersk8
JustinAniello

Connecticut

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

A - Pours a clear orange with a one finger head. Dissipates to nothing relatively quickly.

S - Raw pumpkin, cloves, and cinnamon. Heavy sourness mixed with mild sweetness in the background. As it warms, the rotting pumpkin in the taste comes out as well.

T - Starts out sweet, not much flavor. Followed by the cloves and cinnamon. Then, suddenly, you are hit with sourness and rotting pumpkin seeds.

M - Light body and medium carbonation.

O - This is by far the worst pumpkin ale I have ever had. Couldn't even make it through more than a quarter a glass with help. One of the (very) few beers I have had to pour. With the wide selection of great pumpkin ales out there, pick something else.

10-30-2011 01:21:39 | More by JustinAniello
TheDudeRules

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

Light amber in color. White head that is about a half a fingers thickness. Goes away quickly. Leaves a light ring around the glass. The bubbles dance against the light.

Smell is of clove, cinnamon and pumpkin. But really it smells more like vomit. Honestly it's making my stomach turn.

Tastes like clove and shitty pumpkin pie. This is truly awful. It is fairly light in the mouth and easy to drink, but the taste is so damn terrible there is no point. My drain is going to enjoy the rest of this.

10-31-2011 01:01:28 | More by TheDudeRules
LumpyGuitar

1.3/5  rDev -55.6%

Well, this was bad, but on a positive note, its better than Corona.

Poured a weak looking copper color with no head, only a swirl of bleak, depressing, white bubbles in the center.

Smells of spice. A bit sour, nothing else.

Taste is very bland. Tastes like a spiked apple cider gone wrong. Sour and weak with a bit of a spice flavor. Water presence is large.

Mouthfeel is really fine. The beer is very smooth and slightly refreshing..it's just hard to rate this higher when the taste and presentation is lousy.

Drinkability is blah. I don't ever even want to see this again. I can drink it sure. I suppose if I was really that thirsty, I'd drink my own blood first.

08-19-2008 23:37:41 | More by LumpyGuitar
bigkahunas4

1.3/5  rDev -55.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle was left by my sister's friends in my fridge.

The brew pours a very straw yellow - does not scream pumpkin by any means. Barely any head. Nice lacing but really bad retention.

Smell's like a pumpkin pie - due to an overwhelming amount of spice in here. Clove and ginger and cinnamon - smells like a yankee candle. So not a bad scent - just not what you'd expect from a beer. Taste is full of these same spices, followed by a really nasty malt character. Think of a Budweiser with spices tossed in it and you have this brew. Mouthfeel is that of a Budweiser as well - very light.

Drinkability ---- NOPE! Pouring the rest of this out and enjoying a Hennepin.

EDIT- It's amazing how tasty a great beer is after a terrible one.

10-11-2008 21:41:21 | More by bigkahunas4
McGIPA

1.3/5  rDev -55.6%

this is literally the worst beer I've ever had....def the worse pumpkin ale in the world...when you first pop the beer cap the smell isnt so bad...pretty descent spice smell....then you take your first sip...it taste like bud light with pumpkin spice, except at the end the aftertaste is a lot like tap water...$9 down the drain...DO NOT waste your money on this...for the same price you can get a 4 pack of Dogfish Punkin', a bomber of ST Pumking, Smuttynose, or Post Road...why oh why did I choose this...) ;

09-23-2010 14:43:05 | More by McGIPA
Kvlterbm

1.3/5  rDev -55.6%

Review from notes, tasted this in mid-October.

A: Pours a clear, amber yellow with a head that vanishes quickly.

S: Cinnamon, but not in a good way. I'm a big fan of some pumpkin beers, and this lacks everything that makes those enjoyable. The nose smells like cinnamon candy, not even real spice.

T: No pumpkin flavor whatsoever. Tastes exactly like it smells. Cinnamon candy... if there's any nutmeg or clove in this, it's hidden behind an overwhelming flavor of artificial cinnamon.

M: Decent carbonation, but it just feels thin and watery.

D: If you love cinammon red hots, it's very drinkable. It's a low ABV beer, so it's drinkable in that respect. Personally, I just couldn't stomach the flavor for more than a bottle or two.

01-19-2011 05:10:10 | More by Kvlterbm
jwalker37

Louisiana

1.3/5  rDev -55.6%

I spent $13 for a 6 pack at Rouses in Metairie, LA because i was looking for a good pumpkin ale to drink around halloween. Boy, did i waste my money on this crap. It has 0 taste, much less anything resebling an ale. The only cool thing about the beer was the bottle that it was in. I give Shipyard an 8 for the cool artwork and a 0 for the taste of the beer.

09-29-2011 17:50:04 | More by jwalker37
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.