Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

poor

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 826 | Hads: 2,455
2.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not much on the nose here and the taste is watered down. You do get some pumpkin, cinnamon and clove though...just not much of it. There are much better options available. Wouldn't buy again. (191 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -15.4%

Look: Pours a clear golden orange color. Lots of fizzy head which fades to literally nothing. Looks like sparkling apple juice.

Smell: Faint hints of pumpkin and cinnamon. Overall the smell is just faint.

Taste: Wow. Watery, nearly tasteless, with the smarts hint of pumpkin pie crust. Really bad.

Feel: Thin, watery, like a slight pumpkin flavored sparkling water. (372 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 oz can.

Pours a clear generic gold color under a white fizzy head which dissipates quickly and leaves no trace. The aroma is minimal and reminds me of candy corn and a cheap "harvest pumpkin" candle from Walmart. Unfortunately the flavor isn't much better, with a flat and generic nutmeg and mace type flavor and possibly come cinnamon carrots. No actual pumpkin to be found, just sort of a artificially sweet vegetable flavor. Body is light and fizzy, with an overly sweet characteristic. Overall, this really isn't a good pumpkin beer. There are so many better options that this doesn't ever need to cross my lips again. (641 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -61.9%

Not a fan of this beer, yet it seems like everyone I know loves it almost like some fad that has seemed to die down a little. It is much too sweet, and always has this metallic flavor. It's the type of beer that will make me sick if I have more than one--sickeningly sweet and over spiced with cinnamon. I also would like to note I love pumpkin and other fall beers, this one is just a disaster. (395 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

It's that unfortunate time of year in RI where this beer pops up all over the place, and I can't stand it. Admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of pumpkin beer to begin with, but this just takes the cake in terms of bad. On first look, it pours nicely - it's got a nice, rich amber coloration, nice head. The smell is awful - to me, it doesn't smell like pumpkin : it smells like someone trying to artificially produce the smell of pumpkin without having any idea what a pumpkin actually smells like, and then covering it with a lot of cinnamon. The taste, if possible, is worse - wayyyyyyy too sweet, and the feel is reminiscent of some of the extremely cheap lagers...weak body, weak carbonation.

Avoid, avoid, avoid. (717 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Not many rival it IMO in the New England area. If you haven't tried Pumpkinhead, I highly recommend doing so. (151 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Consumed from the tap on a few occasions. This beer is everywhere in CT in the fall months. Pours pretty nice, somewhat golden in color with a small head. Smell is where it starts to get weird, it seems like some artificial flavoring going on. Taste is kind of rank. It starts too sweet and there are weird flavorings. I swear I taste mothballs or something. I usually can only tolerate two sips before I give it back to the person drinking it. By far the worst pumpkin beer I've had. Buyer beware. (498 characters)

1.02/5  rDev -64.3%

A very crappy beer. Went way overboard on the spices, especially the cinnamon and to me the brew actually tasted like it had diactyl. It was like a failed abortion of a first time Brewers beer. Would never buy again. (216 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer, but to be honest I couldn't have more than one at a time, as it's very sweet. As for flavour, it's one of my preferred pumpkin beers.

Pumpkinhead is really excellent for cooking, especially in slow cooker recipes. The flavours make for a really nice touch in stews. (284 characters)

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy, pale, orange color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved away into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds that gathered in the center of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very pumpkin-y, with strong notes of spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and brown sugar. However, I get next to nothing in the way of hops.

Taste: A lot like the aroma. Strong notes of pumpkin and spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, all-spice and brown sugar. There is not much in the way of malt nor is there any hops bitterness to speak of, which I overall prefer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 4.5%, there is absolutely no presence of alcohol on the palate. This is a true session beer!

Overall: This is a decent pumpkin beer, but not great. Some ok flavors of pumpkin and spice. I certainly won’t search it out again, but if offered, I’m not turning it down. There are tons of better pumpkin beers out there. If you need to get a pumpkin beer from Shipyard, go for the Pugsley Smashed Pumpkin instead. Its a far superior beer! (1,227 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -31.1%

Thin, watery, lifeless -- flavored with way too much cinnamon.
This is literally the worst pumpkin beer I've had. Even Shock top is miles ahead of this -- and that's saying something.
Tastes like a cheap bottle of 60 cent soda from a gas station.
Really bad, SHIPYARD. I've never liked a single beer you've brewed, and now you've literally insulted me with this.
*drain pour*
Cheers. (383 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Serving Type: 12 oz. Can

A- Pours a Clear Golden liquid that lacks a proper head. The appearance of this beer is quite lacklustre and lacks anything that could impress.

S- If you enjoy Pumpkin Pie, this beer may excite you to high levels... damn this beer smells amazing. Although it doesn't exactly smell like "pumpkins", this beer smells uncannily like Pumpkin Pie.

T- Much like the aroma, the taste is full of Pumpkin Pie. Surprisingly, this flavour doesn't really come off as too sweet and is quite nice. Once again, this beer does NOT taste like Pumpkins but it does taste an awful lot like Pumpkin Pie and that is a treat I happen to enjoy greatly!

M- Unfortunately, the great aromas and flavours are presented by mouthfeel/body that reminds me of a budget beer (think Busch, Keystone, etc.) or any other cheap Lager. The body is extremely weak and the carbonation reminds me of a soft drink. Extremely disappointing for a beer with such a great aroma and taste.

O- While this Pumpkin Ale tastes quite great (although not pumpkin tasting at all), the appearance and mouthfeel ultimately prevent it from being a solid brew. Sure, if you can get past the look and body and focus on taste and aroma only, this is a pretty decent beer. Due to the fact that I think this beer tastes damn good, I don't mind suffering through a (excuse my language) shit appearance and body. While I wouldn't recommend this beer because of its qualities as a whole, I do recommend it for its aroma and taste. (1,502 characters)

I hated giving this a good rating, but I is commonly around in October and was a good change from the hoppy stuff. It was complex with cinnamon and maybe orange (161 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -24.8%

A- straw colored, it just looks thin, with minimal head.
S-the best way I can describe it is skittles. Nothing in the area of pumpkin spice is detected.
T-yeesh. A little bit of orange peel... With a bit of.. Skittles. And all spice.
F- thin and watery, not exactly my ideal pumpkin beer.
Overall- pass. Hard pass. (314 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pouring an orange gold, Shipyard Pumpkinhead gives off a heavy head of cinnamon smells. The other pie spices are more subdued, with a whisp of vanilla or graham cracker. It starts sweet and smooth, but transitions to a higher carbonation and a watery body in short order. The flavors are pretty much based in cinnamon, but theres a touch of pumpkin, hints of other spices, and a little bitterness to the gourd like flavor. The aftertaste is super short, just a touch squashy, a hint of honey and cinnamon (508 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +9.4%

12-oz can into nonic glass

A - amber body under three fingers khaki head; moderate amount of rising carbonation

S - malty with pumpkin pie spice, not much to it

T - malty with cinnamon and nutmeg, touch of vanilla, subtle notes of grass

M - smooth light body, moderate carbonation

O - middle-of-the-road pumpkin ale (320 characters)

Appearance: golden amber color

Overall: If you really like a pumpkin taste, this beer is for you. It has taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet, and of course pumpkin. Good fall beer, especially if you want a pumpkin fix. (219 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +66.1%

I rate this one closer to tops. Do not know why. I have had 24 pumpkin beers this year and that number is going up each days. Shipyard smashed pumpkins is better but it costs so much more that I cannot say it is better. All beer should be rated on a cost to ounce scale and that is how I come to saying you BRO's are so wrong on this one but so right on many other styles. I want pumpkin pie in My pumpkin beers and I get this solidly in this and you guys can eat your Pumpking ratings because you rate on cool factors and pumpking is a pumpkin beer with little spice and a high alcohol rating and price. Shipyard only follows O'Fallon Pumpkin in my book and if you count the years I went pumpkin you can say I am rating on 60+ although I am new to this site. Pumpking is pumpkin pulp ipa and lame on seasoning. At least this beer has it and is a six pack for a 22 oz bottle of the smashed pumpkin which wins in my book over Pumpking. Kings are dead and the prime ministers and presidents rule and I will go with this beer over it any day and O'Fallon is my pumpkin beer king if price matters. Not alcohol content. (1,129 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +6.6%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden amber colored with a short white head that dissipates leaving a little lacing, clear

S: light pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove

T: the flavor is pretty intense pumpkin pie spice but artificial, sweet, slight flavor of Sprite

M: watery and flat

O: Meh, it isn't that offensive. Think of it as the Bud Light Lime of pumpkin beers. (399 characters)

A- golden orange, nice head but no retention or lacing, good visibility

S- tons of sour apple and light spice

T- cinnamon, nutmeg, apple, pumpkin spice,

M- very light and watery but surprisingly refreshing

O- I actually really enjoy this beer. It's like a pumpkin spice hard cider. Not what I expected from the warmer, malty, and heavy pumpkins I'm accustomed to. I appreciate how refreshing and light this pumpkin ale is! (427 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +57.3%

I'm surprised by the 69 BA rating, and angry about the bros 41 score. Without being prejudiced by the label or description, Pumpkinhead simply delivers a great tasting and refreshing product in this category. And unlike the more expensive Pumple Drumkin ($11 for 6), this one is inexpensive, widely available, and tastes like what it says it tastes like. I look forward to this one each fall. (395 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +31.1%

I had this for the first time Fall 2013 and wasn't a huge fan - it tasted a bit artificial and overly spiced compared to some of the other spiced pumpkin ales that I tried. However, I bought another 6 pack a few weeks ago (in spirit of the season) to find that it tasted much better. Not sure if they lowered the amount of spice or not but it came out nicely. Pours a golden color with a hazy colored head. Tastes of cinnamon and pumpkin with a splash of nutmeg. Combines really well with cider and other spiced liquors for when you're sitting around a fire! (558 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

More of a pumpkin soda than a pumpkin beer.
It tastes like a cheap beer with artificial pumpkin pie spices added.
Light orange color, fizzy, watery mouthfeel.
It is drinkable, but not very enjoyable or satisfying.
Just about any other pumpkin ale would be a better choice. (274 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +17.5%

Beer is ok, not much pumpkin too much cinnamon. ABV is rather low
compared to others. Typical fall favorite,
but not mine. Aroma and look there, but not taste. (159 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a mason jar: color is gold, head is bright white but dissipates quickly to a ring, no lacing.

Aroma is probably the best quality of this ale: light spice, good amount of wheat, subtle earthy, fleshy pumpkin.

Taste is thinner, as described it is refreshing, a lighter pumpkin ale. Flavor is crisp, good amount of wheat, subtle pumpkin and moderate spice; spice is ginger, clove, all spice and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is a bit crisp and lager like for a pumpkin ale.

Overall, a thinner, crisper pumpkin ale - not my preference but not a bad take on the style (568 characters)

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.