Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 850 | Hads: 2,521
3.06/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a transparent colored color with no real visible carbonation and no head. The dominant smell is that of canned pumpkin with hints a vanilla and cinnamon. The beer is a little thin but I can feel the carbonation as I drink. I enjoy the be beginning flavor of the sweet pumpkin but wish it had more of a spice to it. Overall this beer was fine just wish it had a little more flavor.

3.03/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Crystal clear, golden colored body; thick, foamy, sticky head. Gentle bready, allspice and cinnamon aroma. Mild and balanced flavor of pumpkin pie filling and crust. Light, watery body.

A fair, light and easy version of most pumpkin ales that nicely balances pumpkin flavors without being over-powering, yet the overall impression is something that is lacking and weak. The initial appearance falls apart with a quickly dissipating head and the body, especially, is so lightweight and unsatisfying that it greatly detracts from an otherwise respectable flavor balance. It's like a macro pumpkin lite. This would be a decent enough beer to bring someone new into pumpkin beers to get a hint of what's possible, but it really won't satisfy anyone looking for a stronger, more definitive example of the style.

3.01/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I almost find this beer has more of a cider quality to it than a beer. I may be crazy, but I don't hate this beer... I don't love it either. I got a very strong almost apple cinnamon smell off the pour??? It may be pumpkin spice??? Anyway whatever it was it definitely smells and taste artificial. But I can't say I hate it? Weird stuff... I drank it, it was drinkable.

3.02/5  rDev +4.9%

More pumpkin spice than beer taste. I drank about half of a bottle and gave the rest to my wife. She actually enjoyed drinking it. I'd buy it for her again but I think I'll pass on drinking it again.

3.15/5  rDev +9.4%

I really don't understand the extremely low ratings on this beer. I mean sure there are better pumpkin beers out there and this has a more sessionable taste. Slightly watered down and not a super Pumpkin/Cinnamon Taste. But At the same time it is a good introduction to pumpkin beers in my opinion and it is an easy drink.

3.87/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. Bottle

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden yellow color, very nice carbonation, with a nice almost one-finger creamy white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with some yeast notes, slight pumpkin. The taste is malty, slightly yeasty, with some pumpkin, nutmeg, apple notes. Medium body. Overall, a refreshing drink, a nice thirst quencher.

3.63/5  rDev +26%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
Appearance: Golden amber - 1 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. Very clear

Smell: citrus, sweet, pumpkin!

Taste: Pumpkin, but not overbearing by any stretch. Spicy pumpkin pie, but a little watery. It's good, but not great. Tastes better cold.

Mouthfeel: carbonated, watery

Overall: I enjoyed this and I enjoy this style. Wish it was a little more "pumpkiny"

3.41/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Decent fall beer, tastes like a solid Oktoberfest marzen, with some "natural flavors" added. Smell is sweet with clove, honey. Taste follows the smell, very sweet with pumpkin spice. Overall its a good session beer, a beer I'd bring to a party but not one to remember.

Look: golden with an orange hue and thin white head
Smell: pumpkin clove vanilla and honey
Feel: thin and overly carbonated
Taste: soapy bitter with some honey pumpkin and vanilla
overall: one of the worst pumpkin ales I have had. Very poor flavor. Terrible example of pumpkin ale

2.98/5  rDev +3.5%

Got this one at my local bottle shop as part of a mixed brewery 6er of pumpkin/octoberfest beers. Pours a light orange color, not a lot of head. Has a spicy aroma and light to medium mouthfeel. However, the slick buttery flavor from diacetyl is really strong and evident, not very appealing. Has a modest pumpkin and spice aftertaste. Not too sure I'd recommend this.

2.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle at a co-workers house, thanks for the opportunity, I think.
Big sweet brown sugar with plenty of pie spices and little else beer like from this bottle. I guess on the plus side the spices surely drowned out and diacetyl that was probably in this.

1.72/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Scent of cheap grain and expired pumpkin pie filling one would find in a homeless shelter. Taste of overpowering cinnamon, nutmeg, the same pumpkin pie filling and cheap grain. Thin, watery body, low carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

BA rating seems low, even for a shipy.ard product.
I'll admit that Pumpking Ales are not my favorite but Pumpkinhead simplly delivers a nice tasting and refreshing product. Pumpkin taste is not too over the top and it fits well in the category. I'd drink this again.

3.45/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with heavy orange tint, head is white with subtle definition...rose to maybe half a finger's length.

Smell: Little cinnamon pumpkin lacks but still there.

Taste: Pumpkin taste is pretty good, sweet and little malty. Has room for improvereat but then again if you want more there is always Smashed Pumpkin from the same brewery.

Mouth: Medium carbonation. Little little spicy ness at the end but dissipates quickly.

Overall: not a bad brew but don't expect Smashed Pumpkin in any form. Lighter version maybe if that. Worth sharing a 6-pack with friends. Salud

3.91/5  rDev +35.8%

Drank from a cold 12oz bottle while doing a little fall bass fishing. Not sure why there are so many poor reviews of this I thought it was a good pumpkin ale. The spice was not over powering, good pumpkin flavor. Went down smooth, not overly cloying like some on the market.

2.84/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

After a beautiful pour I took a nose full and was encouraged by what I got. A nice bouquet of of pumpkin and spice; nutmeg cinnamon etc. and that was the end of anything good to be said about this beer. It was too light a mouthfeel. Almost like a flavored soda. And a total disjoint from nose to mouth. I thought I was getting pumpkin and instead I got something closer to apple juice. Total letdown is the best way I can describe what I got out of this pumpkin.

2.11/5  rDev -26.7%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a globe glass

to create a good/great pumpkin beer you must first start with a good/great base beer. This beer is utterly unremarkable on all levels.

The beer pours a dark straw/light amber color that sits dead in the glass with no liveliness of carbonation, a thin white head that disappears quickly, and leaves behind no lacing to speak of. The aroma is metallic and sweet, with no underlying maltyness for the pumpkin spices to play off of. The flavor completely mimics the aroma, no character at all. Just a bland, unimaginative, overly sweet beer with no inspiration at all...

While I am completely unimpressed and underwhelmed by this beer, I can find no technical flaws or off flavors. There is nothing actually wrong with this beer, just nothing actually right with it either.

2.06/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

It pours golden with a small head. It has aromas of nutmeg, pumpkin, and a combination of spices that give it a plastic like aroma that isn’t all that pleasant. It has flavors or brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg, and other spices. It is quite sweet, but a bit too much on the way down.

3.82/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice crystal clear orange color with decent carbonation. I like this beer its not crazy sweet or over spiced like most pumpkin beers you can still taste the underlying beer. Fairly watery mouthfeel flavors do not cling to the tongue much. Most pumpkin beers are so over the top flavorwise that you can't even tell you are drinking a beer.

2.59/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

it's very sweet and pumpkiny, it pretty much tastes like pumpkin pie. it's good if you're only drinking one for a seasonal but not good on a regular basis.

3.42/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle served in a tumbler. Pours a translucent straw gold with a loose, quarter inch, off-white head that slowly dissipates into a thin band around the edges - no lacing on this one. Nose expresses all-spice and cinnamon. Taste follows nose, but it all comes off quite watered down, albeit not unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild carbonation. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I found this one fairly drinkable. That said, those who really enjoy the bold flavors of pumpkin beers will be disappointed with this offering more than likely.

2.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a thin head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is lemon and dry grain.
The taste is mild lemon bitter and overripe apples.
The texture is crisp.
Not enjoyable.

2.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm in California and have never heard of this brewery or of this beer before. Of what I was told it is popular in New England during the autumn months and now they are trying to distribute this on the West Coast and make us suffer as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's terrible, I'm just saying it's like drinking weak pumpkin water. It pours a amber/orange which I liked but goes down hill from there. Faint smell of pumpkin/cinnamon. Faint taste of pumpkin/cinnamon. Faint aftertaste of....well, I think you got the picture. I would never give a beer an across the board 2.50 rating, so I gave the colour slightly better. In other words it's average at best.

I remember drinking this a few years ago and enjoying it, but having it again now, I really have no idea what I saw in this. It tastes like drinking a pumpkin candle. It's a bizarre, waxy, artificial pumpkin flavor. It's really muted, and the spice does not complement it very well, overpowering it instead. The whole brew just tastes a bit off, like I'm drinking a rejected batch or something. There are much better pumpkin offerings in the New England area. If that's what you're after, I'd recommend going for the Harpoon UFO Pumpkin, and skipping this one.

2.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not much on the nose here and the taste is watered down. You do get some pumpkin, cinnamon and clove though...just not much of it. There are much better options available. Wouldn't buy again.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.