Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros

1.75/5  rDev -41.3%

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

3.98/5  rDev +33.6%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden amber color with a lot of carbonation. Foamy white head that only lasted a minute leaving no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Spicy like nutmeg, cinnamon. other "fall" related spices.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light bodied and well balamced, smooth and drinkable. Taste spicy, like sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and again other "fall" like spices I would associate with halloween or thanksgiving.

Overall: I don't understand why this beer gets such low scoring, I can understand the misleading assumtion that it taste like pumpkin pie, but I think this beer is underrated for what it is. I always look foward to this beer every fall.

1.25/5  rDev -58.1%

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

3.68/5  rDev +23.5%

My Whole Foods sells singles and I knew this beer was pretty infamous so I just picked up one of these (I'm jumping the gun on pumpkin beers but I do want to find a good go-to one before the season really starts!)--I'm going to attempt to not let the bad reviews it gets prejudice my thoughts on this beer. Here goes.

A: It doesn't really look like a pumpkin ale. It's kind of a deep gold rather than that characteristic amber you get with pumpkin ales. Not much head, what little there was fizzled pretty quickly leaving no lacing.

S: Nice on the nose. Big cinnamon up front. Definitely one of those pumpkin beers that is more pumpkin pie than naturally gourdy/squashy. Both have their places, but that's what this one is for sure. Very spicy. A hint of coriander, and of course all the Thanksgiving spices. A little grassiness.

T: This beer tastes like pumpkin pie. I actually find it pretty pleasant, to be honest. It leaves you with an allspice aftertaste. Pumpkin pie crust breadiness. I taste a little bit more of the natural squashiness than I got on the nose, but it's still pretty subdued.

M: Light bodied, a little too fizzy.

O: Maybe I just had really low expectations but I think people are too hard on this beer. It is a little gimmicky from the bottle art to the pumpkin pie as opposed to the colonial pumpkin flavors...but it isn't a horrible beer in my opinion. I would recommend it for a non-beer snob who wants to drink some pumpkin ale around Halloween time.

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

This is my first review of a beer from Shipyard. Surprised by the low ratings on beer advocate, so I guess we will see if we agree or not.

A: Pours a semi-dark golden color with a 1 inch bright white head that is slow to disappear, so hard to tell if there is any lacing.

S: Smell flows right out of the glass with pumpkin, spice and some cinnamon. Nothing too complex about this beer as far as the aroma goes.

T: Flavor consists of an actually pumpkin pie, which is what so many claim, but so few seem to be. Get some brown sugar on the body with a hint of spice and cinnamon on the back end.

M: Sweet, flavorful, light carbonation but very creamy and easy to drink for the style.

O: Make no mistake about it, this is an Octoberfest beer. And is much better than a Harpoon version and a bit more pumpkin pie flavored than a Sam Adams Octoberfest. A solid seasonal beer by a company who is very underrated in craftsmanship. Most likely the best fall beer I've had so far.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.