Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

poor

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -27.8%

The pumpkinhead had a scary label with a freshness date but failed to deliver the scare. It poured a light orange with very little foam head that left no lacing. It was pretty fizzy and in looks resembled a bud light minus color, taste and smell. The aroma was dominated by nutmeg and cloves and it stayed with the same tone in the taste. You were left with some slight pumpkin in the finish but that was about it. That was about it.

cswhitehorse, Nov 23, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +28.8%

A- Thin white head on a crystal clear gold and orange body.
S- Pumpkin and spice come through. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves all help make up the spice. Light toasted malts also come through.
T- This really tastes just like a pumpkin pie with crust and all. Even follows with the same aftertaste. Only thing is you can taste some light grass hops and hints of lightly toasted malts coming through in it as well.
M- Thin/medium body with medium carbonation.
D- If this beer was amped up just a bit and have a really thick chewy body I would love it. The mouthfeel really kills this beer for me but other than that the taste it pretty good just wish it was chewy and just amped up all the way around.

BlindPig, Nov 22, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo for one dollar, split with my dad last night

Poured into a goblet with a golden light orange color and a 1/8 inch foamy white head that settled quickly, did not leave any lacing

Smell was almost identical to a peice of pumpkin pie, could also smell faint aromas of vanilla and caramel

Taste was also strong flavors of pumpkin, nutmeg, and several other spices, this one was not as sugary as I initally thought, there was not much malty flavor other than overpowering pumpkin, the finsh was dry and left a lingering taste for about a minute, crisp bite to it, better than most pumpkin beers I have had in the past

Above average mouthfeel, body was decent for a beer this light and there was a good amount of carbonation that was not too much

Could drink lots of this, probably a six pack if I wanted to, one of my first Shipyard brews and did not disappoint, recommended when Halloween comes around again next year

Floydster, Nov 20, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a stock gold with a short lived whitish head, no lacing. The aroma is heavily cinnamon, no pumpkin, slightly off-putting. The taste is more so, even less pumpkin feel with more cinnamon, a thin malting... not much to describe, just not a good tasting beer. The mouth is similarly mediocre, and it just gives the impression of half assing it.

objectivemonkey, Nov 17, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +34.9%

Poured into a pint glass, pours a hazy brown color with minimal head that does not say around to long. This beer has a wonderful aroma of pumpkin spice and nutmeg which I love both, Heavy smell so you can tell they added alot of perservatives to it. Taste is smooth and very good in my book, I love the flavor of pumkin and spice and I love the fall as well, this beer goes down very smooth and I truly enjoyed this artifical flavored beverage, I think I should have higher ratings than it does, my wife enjoys it as well which is a plus.

gunnerman, Nov 11, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

Received this in a trade with YonderWonderer. This is definitely my first shipyard brew. Drank out of my Laughing Dog pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super light yellow with a nice one finger foamy white head. Leaves a decent cap and collar along with almost no lacing.
Smell- Really full of pumpkin and spice and butterscotch. Lot’s of spice consisting of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. Smells exactly like pumpkin pie leaving me to wonder if some “flavoring” has been added.
Taste- The first thing that comes to mind after tasting this is butterscotch. It was present in the aroma but very noticeable in the taste. Some nice pumpkin is also present but in a very creamy way. Kind of a mixture of Cool Whip and pumpkin paste. Not a lot of spice is present but sweet malt is. A bit of toffee and vanilla come to mind.
Mouthfeel- Very creamy and slick with lots of tingly carbonation.
Drinkability- The nose is the highlight of this brew. Almost a dead ringer to pumpkin pie. The taste is ok but nothing to write home about. Uniquely different but I’m not sure it’s what I’m looking for in a beer. Thanks again to YonderWonderer!

younger35, Nov 07, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +33.2%

This one gets a bad rap, but I actually enjoy it and the wife will drink it along with me.

A: Pours a nice light golden yellow with a nice fizzy head.

S: Tons of fresh pumpkin mixed with all the wonderful spices that make up a perfect pumpkin pie. The aroma is very inviting.

T: The taste is of a nice light wheat beer which allows the pumpkin and spices to really come out right at the start. The taste sort of dies in the middle, but the nutmeg seems to linger. It's one of the lighter least aggressive pumpkin brews around, but I do enjoy it.

M: Nice and ligt.

D: Pretty darn drinkable, could enjoy more than one which is pretty rare with a pumpkin brew.

Overall: I like this beer, though I am not in love with it. It's a nice seasonal brew that I enjoy drinking during the fall. When it is released I pick up 12 and its more than enough to last me and the wife thru the winter.

tpd975, Nov 06, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance- Pours a fairly clear yellow color, looks like macro in this respect, very little head.

Smell- The smell is where this beer really shines. It actually smells just like a pumkin pie, hints of pumkin, nutmeg are very apparent, delicious.

Taste- Initial taste includes some pumkin notes but these quickly recede to a more normal light beer taste of watery wheat.

Mouthfeel- Pretty thin on the palate, nothing to rave about here.

Drinkability- A good brew to celebrate the fall season with, perhaps only worth a six pack though.

Bowdoinbeerboy, Nov 01, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

Mostly translucent with a pale orange/gold hue and a tall effervescent white head that recedes to a small bit of lace.

The aroma is very spicy and surprisingly well pronounced for a lighter looking beer. Mostly cinnamon and nutmeg with some light malt. Not much pumpkin, but nice none-the-less.

Spicy and a bit too mild but still pleasant. A slight pumpkin flavor possibly but mostly a characteristic that could just as easily be construed as apple cider. Again, cinnamon and nutmeg, but the light creaminess reminds me of pumpkin.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel initially but a bit of creaminess arises in the middle. Nicer mouthfeel than the appearance would imply. Not terribly flavorful (definitely needs more/some pumpkin), but refreshing and spicy.

letsgopens, Oct 31, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -44.1%

I got this beer at a sports bar in downtown Manchester, NH. This was one of their very few micros on tap so I gave it a try. But I was surprised when the bartender took an orange and coated the rim of the glass, and then rubbed it on a plate of cinnamin. Did I order some weird, new margharita?

A: Clear orange amber, very little head with almost no retention.
S: Not much, except for the overwhelming cinnamin that she rubbed it in.
T: Wow. Maybe like a poor Coors Light with some extra sugar tossed in. No real identifyable characteristics. Typical bad light beer aftertaste. Bland. Extra nutmeg tossed in seems artificial.
M: Thin and boring.
D: I may not make it through this pint.

Not too much more to say.

IgnatiusReilly, Oct 31, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Out of the many seasonal pumpkin spiced beers I've tried, this is definitely one of the better ones - Hands down, my personal favorite - The taste is reminiscent of pumpkins, nutmeg, and sweet spices. The clove-nutmeg taste is really what stands out the most. It is a very drinkable brew with a relatively low alcohol percentage (4.5%) for a pumpkin-spiced ale. It goes down smooth and has a great taste. At $6.99 a six-pack, it is definitely worth a try if you are a fan of seasonal pumpkin-spiced ales. Goes well with anything sweet. I certainly would recommend this one. Overall, the best pumpkin ale I've tried this season...

dsa7783, Oct 29, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

Found these abandoned at my parents house so I rescued them at took them with me back to my house. A little past their prime but from what I experienced and what I read on here, the results were very similar.

Pours a clear golden yellow with minimal head that disappears quite quickly with absolutely no lacing whatsoever. Carbonation bubbles are also rising to the top very fast.

The smell was like a light pumpkin pie. All the spices you would expect to be there were there. Cinnamon, nutmeg and mace. I picked up on some sweet malt too.

Just like how I described the smells. Very light. Almost like eating a chiffon pumpkin pie. All the spices were there and the malt stood out the most.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting what I got from this beer which was the mellowness. There was no kick to this beer whatsoever. It went down very smooth but was almost boring. Nothing that stood out, other than the malt. Very light bodied.

Even though there was no kick (as I keep saying), I found this beer to be enjoyable and will be looking forward to enjoying the rest of beer I rescued.

CoSMoSYS, Oct 26, 2007
3.18/5  rDev +7.8%

I have to be honest, I picked this beer up cause of the label. I've read and enjoyed Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" numerous times so when I saw this on display knew I had to try it. Pours a light gold with just a tinge of amber. Wimpy, wispy head even with a hard pour. Smells like fresh pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie in the taste including crust. Cinnamon, nutmeg even a hint of vanilla at the finish. Not much bitterness at all. Mouthfeel is thin and along with the carbonation makes it seem like I'm drinking a soda. All in all a super sweet beer. Worth a try but after one I think I'm done.

Sleestak, Oct 25, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light orange/gold color with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is heavy with spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) and light malts with very little hops.

T: The taste is spicy and sweet but still very light with flavors of cinnamon & nutmeg. The light character is light and there’s almost no hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet. When I first tried this beer, I thought it was pretty good, but that was when I first started drinking beers not made by Bud, Miller or Coors. Now that I’ve tried a great many craft brews, I realize that this is pretty much a macro with some spices added.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not very filling, not much of a kick, not the best representation of style, I could drink a few, but there are several others that I would pick within the style.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 25, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a nice gold color with an amber hue, massive white head that settles very quickly...highly carbonated
S: Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, hopy, very spicy
T: Hops, pumpkin, spicy, a little watered down in my book
MF: Very clean, crisp, spicy aftertaste
D: I wouldnt drink more than one per sitting

If you like this, or dont like this beer, try Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale...it is much better

scottyshades, Oct 24, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +30.5%

On a whim, had a pint on draft at Toast in Morningside Heights. I've not drunk many of this style and was surprised by the pale color. Almost no head, pleasant aroma of spice. Was surprised by how good it was (unlike other reviewers) -- has the sour taste of a gueze or Rodenbach, tempered by lively carbonation and then a smooth almost ethereal finish of pumpkin pie spice. Light, flavorful, very drinkable. Maybe the keg makes the difference

mfrogs, Oct 19, 2007
1.2/5  rDev -59.3%

This beer is so bad, I'm not gonna waste much time with the review. It poured with a big white head that quickly disappeared, is ridiculously effervescent, a clear, piss yellow.
Smell is very generic beer graininess with some pie spices.
Taste is terrible, gawd it's off, no malt or anything remotely resembling ale, like cinnimon flavored seltzer.
Moutfeel is paper thin.
This is the first beer I've dumped out in as long as I could remember. I wouldn't have had more then a sip if I wasn't reviewing it...as it was, I had about 5, which was 5 to many.

ccrida, Oct 19, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.49. First time I've had a beer from Shipyard, and the first time I've had a pumpkin beer. In fact, aside from some SA beers (that were probably brewed in the midwest, anyway), this is the first New England beer I've ever had. According to the label this is good through February of 2008.

This poured a gold color, just a shade darker than a mass market lager, with a similar fizzy head - though it took a little longer to dissipate than, say, a Bud. Occaisional spotty lace.

The smell is pumpkin-y and mildly spicy. Doesn't smell bad, but I was expecting a little more.

The taste is weaker than the smell. "Innoffensively spicy" is how I would describe this.

Mouthfeel is right for, say, a cream ale, which I think this was before the pumpkin flavoring was added. Carbonation is acceptable, body is fairly light.

A fairly bland beer that doesn't taste bad, is mildly flavored as advertised, but isn't terribly interesting. I'd like to get a richer flavor, or a bit more body, or both.

woemad, Oct 17, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bottle a clear light pumpkin color with a light white.

Aroma is like pumpkin pie in a glass.

The taste is much weaker than the aroma. That's a shame. There's mostly a thin sourness with a hint of spices.

Thin mouthfeel with a sharp carbonation.

It's an alright pumpkin ale. I expected more after experiencing the aroma. Too bad it didn't carry through.

Monkeyknife, Oct 17, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a light golden color with a half inch head after a hard pour into pint glass. Head went away rather fast.
The thing I noticed next was the smell. A strong nutmeg scent. Other hints of spices were there but nutmeg really stood out. I was then surprised by the fact that the spices were very light in the taste of the beer. Don't get me wrong, the fact that it was not overpowering helped make the beer taste like I could have a couple more. The problem is that I wanted a stronger tasting beer. Also this in another "pumpkin" ale that is missing... well, pumpkin! Sure pumpkin pie spices were used but there was no pumpkin taste. I know that this is done due to multiple reasons and most brewers don't use real pumpkin. So while this beer does quilify as a pumpkin beer, I will keep looking for one with pumpkin.

JMBSH, Oct 14, 2007
3.23/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a golden rimmed chalice that I just bought and must use! This beer pours a golden amber. I had it next to a pumpkin (completely coincidental) and the colors matched almost perfectly. Left about a 1/4 inch of thin, off-white head with light lacing.

Smell is very sweet with cinammon, nutmeg, and fall.

Right off I can say that this beer tastes much like a pumpkin pie and I am sure this is the brewers intention. Nutmeg is probably the strongest of the obvious three flavors here. The pumpkin and cinammon are also detectable.

Mouthfeel is clean and thin with a spiced after-taste. Subtlety creamy... probably closer to water than cream.

To some this may be overwhelming with sweet flavors, but to me it is enjoyable. I wish I had a few more as this is a great pumpkin beer for the month of October.

noremorse1, Oct 14, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer poured a clear orange with a fizzy white head that was gone before i put the bottle down. The smell was very faint. What I could pick up was a hint of pumpkin and the only noticeable spice was nutmeg. This beer really lacks any complexity in taste, I get a hint of pumpkin as it fades in my mouth. The mouthfeel is light and watery. This beer is light enough that several could be consumed in one sitting but the flavor is a deterrent from having more than a couple.

UFGUY2122, Oct 13, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a medium golden with a thin white head that fades quickly. Aromas of lightly creamy pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices- heavy on the nutmeg. Taste is a litttle thin, but there is a nice creamy pumpkin note that falls off and becomes watery. Spicing is not so prominent in the taste, but what is there is on the finish. Mouthfeel is spritzy and somewhat watery. Not the greatest pumpkin beer on the planet. The creamy/nutmeggy combo could be worked with, but as is a little too thin and bland. Just okay.

Georgiabeer, Oct 09, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Poured out a clear golden orange color with a white, bubbly, one-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smlled of pumpkin, spices and some grains.

T - It was very sweet and pumpkin-tasting. There was also some light caramel malt.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light-bodied brew.

D - This was pretty good. I'm starting to like the style.

zeff80, Oct 08, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +26.4%

My wife loves these beers; they have become her favorite of the season.

Pours a very light, clear, amber with not much of a head.

Great aroma. It has the subtlety of pumpkins, but it also has the aroma nutmeg and brown sugar. The smell could be more powerful, but it very nice.

Good taste. Very clean. The same flavors are apparent here as in the aroma. A bit of malt sweetness compliments the spice. No bitterness to speak of.

Tingles slightly with the prick of carbonation. A light beer that seems lighter with the medium to high carbonation.

A sessionable pumpkin ale. Nice clean flavors, nothing great, just solid and a good representation of the style.

IPAcraig, Oct 08, 2007
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.