Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 866 | Hads: 2,586
2.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Got this one at my local bottle shop as part of a mixed brewery 6er of pumpkin/octoberfest beers. Pours a light orange color, not a lot of head. Has a spicy aroma and light to medium mouthfeel. However, the slick buttery flavor from diacetyl is really strong and evident, not very appealing. Has a modest pumpkin and spice aftertaste. Not too sure I'd recommend this.

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle at a co-workers house, thanks for the opportunity, I think.
Big sweet brown sugar with plenty of pie spices and little else beer like from this bottle. I guess on the plus side the spices surely drowned out and diacetyl that was probably in this.

1.72/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Scent of cheap grain and expired pumpkin pie filling one would find in a homeless shelter. Taste of overpowering cinnamon, nutmeg, the same pumpkin pie filling and cheap grain. Thin, watery body, low carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

BA rating seems low, even for a shipy.ard product.
I'll admit that Pumpking Ales are not my favorite but Pumpkinhead simplly delivers a nice tasting and refreshing product. Pumpkin taste is not too over the top and it fits well in the category. I'd drink this again.

3.45/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with heavy orange tint, head is white with subtle definition...rose to maybe half a finger's length.

Smell: Little cinnamon pumpkin lacks but still there.

Taste: Pumpkin taste is pretty good, sweet and little malty. Has room for improvereat but then again if you want more there is always Smashed Pumpkin from the same brewery.

Mouth: Medium carbonation. Little little spicy ness at the end but dissipates quickly.

Overall: not a bad brew but don't expect Smashed Pumpkin in any form. Lighter version maybe if that. Worth sharing a 6-pack with friends. Salud

3.91/5  rDev +35.3%

Drank from a cold 12oz bottle while doing a little fall bass fishing. Not sure why there are so many poor reviews of this I thought it was a good pumpkin ale. The spice was not over powering, good pumpkin flavor. Went down smooth, not overly cloying like some on the market.

2.84/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

After a beautiful pour I took a nose full and was encouraged by what I got. A nice bouquet of of pumpkin and spice; nutmeg cinnamon etc. and that was the end of anything good to be said about this beer. It was too light a mouthfeel. Almost like a flavored soda. And a total disjoint from nose to mouth. I thought I was getting pumpkin and instead I got something closer to apple juice. Total letdown is the best way I can describe what I got out of this pumpkin.

2.11/5  rDev -27%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a globe glass

to create a good/great pumpkin beer you must first start with a good/great base beer. This beer is utterly unremarkable on all levels.

The beer pours a dark straw/light amber color that sits dead in the glass with no liveliness of carbonation, a thin white head that disappears quickly, and leaves behind no lacing to speak of. The aroma is metallic and sweet, with no underlying maltyness for the pumpkin spices to play off of. The flavor completely mimics the aroma, no character at all. Just a bland, unimaginative, overly sweet beer with no inspiration at all...

While I am completely unimpressed and underwhelmed by this beer, I can find no technical flaws or off flavors. There is nothing actually wrong with this beer, just nothing actually right with it either.

2.06/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

It pours golden with a small head. It has aromas of nutmeg, pumpkin, and a combination of spices that give it a plastic like aroma that isn’t all that pleasant. It has flavors or brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg, and other spices. It is quite sweet, but a bit too much on the way down.

3.82/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice crystal clear orange color with decent carbonation. I like this beer its not crazy sweet or over spiced like most pumpkin beers you can still taste the underlying beer. Fairly watery mouthfeel flavors do not cling to the tongue much. Most pumpkin beers are so over the top flavorwise that you can't even tell you are drinking a beer.

2.59/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

it's very sweet and pumpkiny, it pretty much tastes like pumpkin pie. it's good if you're only drinking one for a seasonal but not good on a regular basis.

3.42/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle served in a tumbler. Pours a translucent straw gold with a loose, quarter inch, off-white head that slowly dissipates into a thin band around the edges - no lacing on this one. Nose expresses all-spice and cinnamon. Taste follows nose, but it all comes off quite watered down, albeit not unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild carbonation. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I found this one fairly drinkable. That said, those who really enjoy the bold flavors of pumpkin beers will be disappointed with this offering more than likely.

2.79/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a thin head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is lemon and dry grain.
The taste is mild lemon bitter and overripe apples.
The texture is crisp.
Not enjoyable.

2.53/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm in California and have never heard of this brewery or of this beer before. Of what I was told it is popular in New England during the autumn months and now they are trying to distribute this on the West Coast and make us suffer as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's terrible, I'm just saying it's like drinking weak pumpkin water. It pours a amber/orange which I liked but goes down hill from there. Faint smell of pumpkin/cinnamon. Faint taste of pumpkin/cinnamon. Faint aftertaste of....well, I think you got the picture. I would never give a beer an across the board 2.50 rating, so I gave the colour slightly better. In other words it's average at best.

I remember drinking this a few years ago and enjoying it, but having it again now, I really have no idea what I saw in this. It tastes like drinking a pumpkin candle. It's a bizarre, waxy, artificial pumpkin flavor. It's really muted, and the spice does not complement it very well, overpowering it instead. The whole brew just tastes a bit off, like I'm drinking a rejected batch or something. There are much better pumpkin offerings in the New England area. If that's what you're after, I'd recommend going for the Harpoon UFO Pumpkin, and skipping this one.

2.53/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not much on the nose here and the taste is watered down. You do get some pumpkin, cinnamon and clove though...just not much of it. There are much better options available. Wouldn't buy again.

2.42/5  rDev -16.3%

Look: Pours a clear golden orange color. Lots of fizzy head which fades to literally nothing. Looks like sparkling apple juice.

Smell: Faint hints of pumpkin and cinnamon. Overall the smell is just faint.

Taste: Wow. Watery, nearly tasteless, with the smarts hint of pumpkin pie crust. Really bad.

Feel: Thin, watery, like a slight pumpkin flavored sparkling water.

2.51/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 oz can.

Pours a clear generic gold color under a white fizzy head which dissipates quickly and leaves no trace. The aroma is minimal and reminds me of candy corn and a cheap "harvest pumpkin" candle from Walmart. Unfortunately the flavor isn't much better, with a flat and generic nutmeg and mace type flavor and possibly come cinnamon carrots. No actual pumpkin to be found, just sort of a artificially sweet vegetable flavor. Body is light and fizzy, with an overly sweet characteristic. Overall, this really isn't a good pumpkin beer. There are so many better options that this doesn't ever need to cross my lips again.

1.09/5  rDev -62.3%

Not a fan of this beer, yet it seems like everyone I know loves it almost like some fad that has seemed to die down a little. It is much too sweet, and always has this metallic flavor. It's the type of beer that will make me sick if I have more than one--sickeningly sweet and over spiced with cinnamon. I also would like to note I love pumpkin and other fall beers, this one is just a disaster.

1.75/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

It's that unfortunate time of year in RI where this beer pops up all over the place, and I can't stand it. Admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of pumpkin beer to begin with, but this just takes the cake in terms of bad. On first look, it pours nicely - it's got a nice, rich amber coloration, nice head. The smell is awful - to me, it doesn't smell like pumpkin : it smells like someone trying to artificially produce the smell of pumpkin without having any idea what a pumpkin actually smells like, and then covering it with a lot of cinnamon. The taste, if possible, is worse - wayyyyyyy too sweet, and the feel is reminiscent of some of the extremely cheap lagers...weak body, weak carbonation.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

4.02/5  rDev +39.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Not many rival it IMO in the New England area. If you haven't tried Pumpkinhead, I highly recommend doing so.

2.42/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Consumed from the tap on a few occasions. This beer is everywhere in CT in the fall months. Pours pretty nice, somewhat golden in color with a small head. Smell is where it starts to get weird, it seems like some artificial flavoring going on. Taste is kind of rank. It starts too sweet and there are weird flavorings. I swear I taste mothballs or something. I usually can only tolerate two sips before I give it back to the person drinking it. By far the worst pumpkin beer I've had. Buyer beware.

1.02/5  rDev -64.7%

A very crappy beer. Went way overboard on the spices, especially the cinnamon and to me the brew actually tasted like it had diactyl. It was like a failed abortion of a first time Brewers beer. Would never buy again.

3.85/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer, but to be honest I couldn't have more than one at a time, as it's very sweet. As for flavour, it's one of my preferred pumpkin beers.

Pumpkinhead is really excellent for cooking, especially in slow cooker recipes. The flavours make for a really nice touch in stews.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy, pale, orange color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved away into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds that gathered in the center of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very pumpkin-y, with strong notes of spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and brown sugar. However, I get next to nothing in the way of hops.

Taste: A lot like the aroma. Strong notes of pumpkin and spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, all-spice and brown sugar. There is not much in the way of malt nor is there any hops bitterness to speak of, which I overall prefer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 4.5%, there is absolutely no presence of alcohol on the palate. This is a true session beer!

Overall: This is a decent pumpkin beer, but not great. Some ok flavors of pumpkin and spice. I certainly won’t search it out again, but if offered, I’m not turning it down. There are tons of better pumpkin beers out there. If you need to get a pumpkin beer from Shipyard, go for the Pugsley Smashed Pumpkin instead. Its a far superior beer!

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.