Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

poor

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 820 | Hads: 2,433
3.5/5  rDev +22%

I love this time of the year because of all the pumpkin beers that come out. I tend to like the pumpkin beers that have a lot of spice and pumpkin flavor to them. I was a little disappointed with this beer. The reason that I bought this beer is because I wanted to try something new. The pumpkin and spice flavor is not as intense as I like and once you swallow the beer the flavor goes down with it. (404 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz can to pint glass

A- pours a clear deep golden yellow color with a small fizzy white head that disappears completely, leaving no trace of lace behind

S- cola and sugar candy aroma with hints of cinnamon. Also picking up an artificial caramel aroma

T- sugary and sweet up front with an artificial cola-like taste that kicks in mid-palate and continues into the finish, hints of cinnamon on a dry finish

M- medium-light body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy-creamy mouthfeel and a crisp-dry finish

O- this one is just too artificial tasting, it reminds me or watered down cola with cinnamon, not a good example of the style (646 characters)

A: 5/5 Looks great! Radiant in the glass

S: 5/5 Smells like pumpkin pie!!! Nutmeg and spice and pumpkin and malt.

T: 5/5 Exactly like it smells but even more intense. How is that possible?? Huge cinnamon roll things going on, plenty of vanilla as well. Spectacular!

M: 5/5 Velvety and smooth. Perfect.

O: 5/5 Literally flawless interpretation of the style. (366 characters)

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a great pumpkin aroma.
Appearance- Pours a golden amber with an off-white head.
Taste- I love the pumpkin flavor of this brew. I noticed many don't care for it. I don't understand.
Palate- A light to medium bodied brew with moderate carbonation.
Overall- One of my favorite pumpkin beers. (347 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Definitely not the color I would expect from a pumpkin ale. This is the first pumpkin ale that I have had this season that was not the right color. Looks like a slightly dark bud light. Even though I see a good amount of carbonation, there is a little head and hardly any lacing. Aroma is extremely faint and I can hardly pick up any smell of spice or pumpkin. Even though is a good bit of carbonation and decent mouthfeel, this beer lacks any discernible flavor of pumpkin and spice. It is very faint and watered down. The mouthfeel is fizzy and refreshing, but this is not like any pumpkin ale I have ever had. Little disappointing considering the other brews I have had from Shipyard... (689 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +30.7%

Don't understand the ratings behind this one.

Bought a single, poured into a pint glass. Can't be beat at 95 cents.

Left a tall off-white head that dissipated slowly.

Smells strongly of nutmeg.

Leaves a slight residue for mouth-feel, nothing too unpleasant.

Almost no hop or malt presence.

Tastes like pumpkin pie, without whip-cream. Not exactly a bad flavor.

I was leery about buying a sixer after reading reviews, but I would have enjoyed one just fine. A decent session beer at 4.5% ABV. (499 characters)

Very disappointed with this one. Was recommended at local liquor store and it was one of the few pumpkin ales I had yet to try. Flavor is like Budweiser with cinnamon. No pumpkin, or nutmeg, bad after taste as well. (215 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +30.7%

Honestly has more of a true pumpkin pie aftertaste to it than most pumpkin beers out there...only con is its very subtle. Overall a decent pumpkin beer, if it was just a little stronger it would be one of the best (213 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has been missing from Texas shelves for about a decade, predating me joining BA apparently. Surprised by the low ratings, as I always liked it. Let's see how it does today:

A: 3.5 - Clear golden-amber color. Pours with an initial large head that fades very quickly to little more than a dusty layer of white on top.
S: 3.75 - Sharp cinnamon scent, with a touch of malt.
T: 3.5 - Lots of cinnamon in the flavor, to the exclusion of everything else. It's virtually a cinnamon beer! There's a little bit of malty sweetness.
M: 3.5 - A tad watery.
O: 3.5 - Well, if you like cinnamon, this has it in spades. (I do, but not to this degree)

Well, disappointing. I remembered this as a pumpkin beer where the spices were strong and not subtle. That's true of the cinnamon. But I prefer a PA with more complexity. Has it changed, or have my tastes? No idea. Not going to be buying it again though. (902 characters)

My favorite beer I've ever tried. I absolutely love and cherish every sip!

Golden light color. You can taste the cinnamon and pumpkin in every sip, truly an amazing beer! (172 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

Has a light although distinguished taste that leans sweet. Refreshingly different from typical pumpkin beers laden with dark pumpkin and spice flavor. (150 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz 2014 bottle.
Pours clear amber with a wealth of rising carbonation bubbles and a good off-white head.
Aroma of wheat and spices is just OK and not as appealing as the flavor. Very good pumpkin pie note includes both light spicing, pie crust and the baked pumpkin. A bit too sweet, but fine as a dessert beer. (318 characters)

This beer taste like cider- crispy bubbly- muted spice profile- could not identify the typical flavor of pumpkin pie- except for god awful cinnamon sugar rim placed on my pint glass (181 characters)

Alright, this beer has the appearance of cider. Mouthfeel is O.K. But it has a horrible, horrible, metallic taste. Even worse is the smell. Spices-can't even taste them. Nah, not worth my time, and only my second drain pour. (225 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +18.5%

Don't understand the hate. This is an atypical beer, very light in color with a light malt bill. This is is a dry very pale ale, with no roasted or caramel malts. But it has cinnamon in spades. If someone set out to make a cinnamon nutmeg beer, this would be it. I found myself enjoying it more than expected. It is what it is. (331 characters)

Horrible. Marketed in a section of different Oktoberfest beers, but this is far from anything on the shelf. At first it's bad cider taste and then you're stuck with that strange awful aftertaste. I've managed to muscle through some pretty bad beers (cough*Alaskan Amber*cough), but this is truly terrible beer. Bad enough that after tasting one the remaining 5 were discarded. To finish, selling this at the price point of great brands like Founders, are you serious Shipyard?!? (478 characters)

Not as terrible as the ratings reflect. However, I did consumer after a hard train run...so nearly any beer sounded good. Overall, I kind of appreciated the lightness of this one, not nearly as heavy as most pumpkin brews. (224 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +18.1%

Had a 14 oz.er on draft at Hadlock Field, home of the Portland Sea Dogs, in Portland, Maine.

Appearance: Pours a reasonably clear goldish color with a one-inch head that is gone after not too long.

Aroma: This beer doesn't really pummel you with pumpkin. It smells like a standard pale ale with some very faint spice and a bit of a pumpkin-syrup type smell.

Taste: Sort of tastes like an unremarkable pale or golden ale that had a gourd soaking in it for a while. It's sort of more of a squash taste than a pumpkin taste. It's not cloying, but it's also not super exciting. Finishes kind of flat.

Mouthfeel: It's a little light for a fall-themed beer.

Overall: This beer is immensely popular but rarely receives critical praise. I can see why. It's approachable and easy on the palate, but also lacks the depth and flavor I'd like from a fall seasonal (pumpkins or not). Maybe I enjoyed this less than I would have under more ideal conditions, since I had it on a baking-hot, humid September day. Still, Shipyard undeniably has better executed offerings than this. (1,069 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +13.9%

Not too much going on with this one. It is light and toned down with a slight pumpkin flavor and hardly any other elements. I got a little pumpkin, maybe a little apple and possibly a little nutmeg. Most likely I will not buy any of these. (239 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +22%

Probably the lightest bodied pumpkin beer I've ever had. I get a clove and nutmeg taste and a little pumpkin in the aftertaste. Don't go out of your way to find this, but it's by no means terrible. (198 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Pumpkinhead is not the best pumpkin ale, although for me, and I'm sure many others, it was the first introduction to the style I had. The appearance is a thin orange with a little head. The smell is sweet with hints of clove and sweet pumpkin spices like nutmeg. The taste is very sweet for a pumpkin with a lot of sugar in the beginning and middle. As far as the pumpkin itself it is a little thin and what is there is a tad synthetic, but still tasty. Overall, not bad. (472 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Got a chance to try this though it is not something I would ever buy. Golden color, decent head. Aroma was a lot of honey which surprised me, I didn't taste pumpkin either it was almost strictly honey. I wonder if this would taste better or worse if it had been fresh but either way it's probably still average. (311 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +40.4%

Although this one lacks in character is really is my favorite fall beer. Its things like drinkability and personal preference that can go easily unnoticed. While this could certainly use some work, the pumpkin/nutmeg flavor really does come through in excellent fashion. If you drink it from the Keg (preferrably right from the source in Portland) you will notice the flavor (while light and airy on the toungue) really packs a deep punch in the body of this beer. My favorite beers tend to be stouts, my favorite so far being the Breakfast Beer from Founders Brew, and the Dogfish Head Miles Davis Bitches Brew. So that being said I can understand why people who are used to loving a deep flavor, lacing, and body would most likely hate this sweet bubbly ale. I would advise you to give it an honest try. This stuff is an all day ale thats perfect for pairing with fall food/deserts. It is certainly a friendly beer both for your mouth and wallet. If you guys don't decide to drink it then thats fine....just means more cases for me. (1,034 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +64.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite pumpkin/fall seasonal beer. I know it can be a bit sweet for some and the pumpkin flavor tastes a bit synthetic not exactly fresh, but I find it the most addictive to drink. Not a super dark or heavy ale taste for fall seasonal. A pumpkin beer that I dont get sick trying to drink more than one at once. Definitely a bit girly with the cinnamon/sugar rim, but the taste I've grown to associate with fall. (424 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured a bottle into a glass.

A - Straw yellow. Frothy head at first that went away.

S - Smells like a cheap beer with a bit of cloves or some type of similar spice.

T - Sweet with a thin pumpkin or squash taste except it tastes artificial and there isn't much else there in the mix to support it.

M - thin and watery with some tight carbonation

O - disapointed in the lightness and artificial aspect of the pumpkin nature of this beer. (445 characters)

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.