Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

poor

awful

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,432 | Reviews: 850

A: 5/5 Looks great! Radiant in the glass

S: 5/5 Smells like pumpkin pie!!! Nutmeg and spice and pumpkin and malt.

T: 5/5 Exactly like it smells but even more intense. How is that possible?? Huge cinnamon roll things going on, plenty of vanilla as well. Spectacular!

M: 5/5 Velvety and smooth. Perfect.

O: 5/5 Literally flawless interpretation of the style.

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a great pumpkin aroma.
Appearance- Pours a golden amber with an off-white head.
Taste- I love the pumpkin flavor of this brew. I noticed many don't care for it. I don't understand.
Palate- A light to medium bodied brew with moderate carbonation.
Overall- One of my favorite pumpkin beers.

2.63/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Definitely not the color I would expect from a pumpkin ale. This is the first pumpkin ale that I have had this season that was not the right color. Looks like a slightly dark bud light. Even though I see a good amount of carbonation, there is a little head and hardly any lacing. Aroma is extremely faint and I can hardly pick up any smell of spice or pumpkin. Even though is a good bit of carbonation and decent mouthfeel, this beer lacks any discernible flavor of pumpkin and spice. It is very faint and watered down. The mouthfeel is fizzy and refreshing, but this is not like any pumpkin ale I have ever had. Little disappointing considering the other brews I have had from Shipyard...

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

Don't understand the ratings behind this one.

Bought a single, poured into a pint glass. Can't be beat at 95 cents.

Left a tall off-white head that dissipated slowly.

Smells strongly of nutmeg.

Leaves a slight residue for mouth-feel, nothing too unpleasant.

Almost no hop or malt presence.

Tastes like pumpkin pie, without whip-cream. Not exactly a bad flavor.

I was leery about buying a sixer after reading reviews, but I would have enjoyed one just fine. A decent session beer at 4.5% ABV.

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

Fun for a change of pace in the fall on a crisp evening. Need to try some other pumpkin ales for comparison.

Very disappointed with this one. Was recommended at local liquor store and it was one of the few pumpkin ales I had yet to try. Flavor is like Budweiser with cinnamon. No pumpkin, or nutmeg, bad after taste as well.

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

Honestly has more of a true pumpkin pie aftertaste to it than most pumpkin beers out there...only con is its very subtle. Overall a decent pumpkin beer, if it was just a little stronger it would be one of the best

Nothing spectacular.

3.56/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has been missing from Texas shelves for about a decade, predating me joining BA apparently. Surprised by the low ratings, as I always liked it. Let's see how it does today:

A: 3.5 - Clear golden-amber color. Pours with an initial large head that fades very quickly to little more than a dusty layer of white on top.
S: 3.75 - Sharp cinnamon scent, with a touch of malt.
T: 3.5 - Lots of cinnamon in the flavor, to the exclusion of everything else. It's virtually a cinnamon beer! There's a little bit of malty sweetness.
M: 3.5 - A tad watery.
O: 3.5 - Well, if you like cinnamon, this has it in spades. (I do, but not to this degree)

Well, disappointing. I remembered this as a pumpkin beer where the spices were strong and not subtle. That's true of the cinnamon. But I prefer a PA with more complexity. Has it changed, or have my tastes? No idea. Not going to be buying it again though.

My favorite beer I've ever tried. I absolutely love and cherish every sip!

Golden light color. You can taste the cinnamon and pumpkin in every sip, truly an amazing beer!

3.58/5  rDev +20.1%

If there was such a thing as a pumpkin shandy this is what I would expect if to taste like...pumpkin pie in a bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

Has a light although distinguished taste that leans sweet. Refreshingly different from typical pumpkin beers laden with dark pumpkin and spice flavor.

3.26/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz 2014 bottle.
Pours clear amber with a wealth of rising carbonation bubbles and a good off-white head.
Aroma of wheat and spices is just OK and not as appealing as the flavor. Very good pumpkin pie note includes both light spicing, pie crust and the baked pumpkin. A bit too sweet, but fine as a dessert beer.

A bit thin and flat. An all day kind of beer.

This beer taste like cider- crispy bubbly- muted spice profile- could not identify the typical flavor of pumpkin pie- except for god awful cinnamon sugar rim placed on my pint glass

A very spicy, high diacytel, Pilsner is the best way to describe this beer. I wasn't a huge fan.

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

Drinkable with a dulled spice profile, very light on the pumpkin type spices. An above average beer.

Alright, this beer has the appearance of cider. Mouthfeel is O.K. But it has a horrible, horrible, metallic taste. Even worse is the smell. Spices-can't even taste them. Nah, not worth my time, and only my second drain pour.

3.4/5  rDev +14.1%

Don't understand the hate. This is an atypical beer, very light in color with a light malt bill. This is is a dry very pale ale, with no roasted or caramel malts. But it has cinnamon in spades. If someone set out to make a cinnamon nutmeg beer, this would be it. I found myself enjoying it more than expected. It is what it is.

Horrible. Marketed in a section of different Oktoberfest beers, but this is far from anything on the shelf. At first it's bad cider taste and then you're stuck with that strange awful aftertaste. I've managed to muscle through some pretty bad beers (cough*Alaskan Amber*cough), but this is truly terrible beer. Bad enough that after tasting one the remaining 5 were discarded. To finish, selling this at the price point of great brands like Founders, are you serious Shipyard?!?

Not as terrible as the ratings reflect. However, I did consumer after a hard train run...so nearly any beer sounded good. Overall, I kind of appreciated the lightness of this one, not nearly as heavy as most pumpkin brews.

3.39/5  rDev +13.8%

Had a 14 oz.er on draft at Hadlock Field, home of the Portland Sea Dogs, in Portland, Maine.

Appearance: Pours a reasonably clear goldish color with a one-inch head that is gone after not too long.

Aroma: This beer doesn't really pummel you with pumpkin. It smells like a standard pale ale with some very faint spice and a bit of a pumpkin-syrup type smell.

Taste: Sort of tastes like an unremarkable pale or golden ale that had a gourd soaking in it for a while. It's sort of more of a squash taste than a pumpkin taste. It's not cloying, but it's also not super exciting. Finishes kind of flat.

Mouthfeel: It's a little light for a fall-themed beer.

Overall: This beer is immensely popular but rarely receives critical praise. I can see why. It's approachable and easy on the palate, but also lacks the depth and flavor I'd like from a fall seasonal (pumpkins or not). Maybe I enjoyed this less than I would have under more ideal conditions, since I had it on a baking-hot, humid September day. Still, Shipyard undeniably has better executed offerings than this.

3.27/5  rDev +9.7%

Not too much going on with this one. It is light and toned down with a slight pumpkin flavor and hardly any other elements. I got a little pumpkin, maybe a little apple and possibly a little nutmeg. Most likely I will not buy any of these.

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

Probably the lightest bodied pumpkin beer I've ever had. I get a clove and nutmeg taste and a little pumpkin in the aftertaste. Don't go out of your way to find this, but it's by no means terrible.

that's absolutely disgusting!

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.