Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 866 | Hads: 2,585
1.97/5  rDev -31.8%

Thin, watery, lifeless -- flavored with way too much cinnamon.
This is literally the worst pumpkin beer I've had. Even Shock top is miles ahead of this -- and that's saying something.
Tastes like a cheap bottle of 60 cent soda from a gas station.
Really bad, SHIPYARD. I've never liked a single beer you've brewed, and now you've literally insulted me with this.
*drain pour*

3.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Serving Type: 12 oz. Can

A- Pours a Clear Golden liquid that lacks a proper head. The appearance of this beer is quite lacklustre and lacks anything that could impress.

S- If you enjoy Pumpkin Pie, this beer may excite you to high levels... damn this beer smells amazing. Although it doesn't exactly smell like "pumpkins", this beer smells uncannily like Pumpkin Pie.

T- Much like the aroma, the taste is full of Pumpkin Pie. Surprisingly, this flavour doesn't really come off as too sweet and is quite nice. Once again, this beer does NOT taste like Pumpkins but it does taste an awful lot like Pumpkin Pie and that is a treat I happen to enjoy greatly!

M- Unfortunately, the great aromas and flavours are presented by mouthfeel/body that reminds me of a budget beer (think Busch, Keystone, etc.) or any other cheap Lager. The body is extremely weak and the carbonation reminds me of a soft drink. Extremely disappointing for a beer with such a great aroma and taste.

O- While this Pumpkin Ale tastes quite great (although not pumpkin tasting at all), the appearance and mouthfeel ultimately prevent it from being a solid brew. Sure, if you can get past the look and body and focus on taste and aroma only, this is a pretty decent beer. Due to the fact that I think this beer tastes damn good, I don't mind suffering through a (excuse my language) shit appearance and body. While I wouldn't recommend this beer because of its qualities as a whole, I do recommend it for its aroma and taste.

I hated giving this a good rating, but I is commonly around in October and was a good change from the hoppy stuff. It was complex with cinnamon and maybe orange

2.15/5  rDev -25.6%

A- straw colored, it just looks thin, with minimal head.
S-the best way I can describe it is skittles. Nothing in the area of pumpkin spice is detected.
T-yeesh. A little bit of orange peel... With a bit of.. Skittles. And all spice.
F- thin and watery, not exactly my ideal pumpkin beer.
Overall- pass. Hard pass.

3.31/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pouring an orange gold, Shipyard Pumpkinhead gives off a heavy head of cinnamon smells. The other pie spices are more subdued, with a whisp of vanilla or graham cracker. It starts sweet and smooth, but transitions to a higher carbonation and a watery body in short order. The flavors are pretty much based in cinnamon, but theres a touch of pumpkin, hints of other spices, and a little bitterness to the gourd like flavor. The aftertaste is super short, just a touch squashy, a hint of honey and cinnamon

3.13/5  rDev +8.3%

12-oz can into nonic glass

A - amber body under three fingers khaki head; moderate amount of rising carbonation

S - malty with pumpkin pie spice, not much to it

T - malty with cinnamon and nutmeg, touch of vanilla, subtle notes of grass

M - smooth light body, moderate carbonation

O - middle-of-the-road pumpkin ale

Appearance: golden amber color

Overall: If you really like a pumpkin taste, this beer is for you. It has taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet, and of course pumpkin. Good fall beer, especially if you want a pumpkin fix.

4.75/5  rDev +64.4%

I rate this one closer to tops. Do not know why. I have had 24 pumpkin beers this year and that number is going up each days. Shipyard smashed pumpkins is better but it costs so much more that I cannot say it is better. All beer should be rated on a cost to ounce scale and that is how I come to saying you BRO's are so wrong on this one but so right on many other styles. I want pumpkin pie in My pumpkin beers and I get this solidly in this and you guys can eat your Pumpking ratings because you rate on cool factors and pumpking is a pumpkin beer with little spice and a high alcohol rating and price. Shipyard only follows O'Fallon Pumpkin in my book and if you count the years I went pumpkin you can say I am rating on 60+ although I am new to this site. Pumpking is pumpkin pulp ipa and lame on seasoning. At least this beer has it and is a six pack for a 22 oz bottle of the smashed pumpkin which wins in my book over Pumpking. Kings are dead and the prime ministers and presidents rule and I will go with this beer over it any day and O'Fallon is my pumpkin beer king if price matters. Not alcohol content.

3.05/5  rDev +5.5%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden amber colored with a short white head that dissipates leaving a little lacing, clear

S: light pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove

T: the flavor is pretty intense pumpkin pie spice but artificial, sweet, slight flavor of Sprite

M: watery and flat

O: Meh, it isn't that offensive. Think of it as the Bud Light Lime of pumpkin beers.

A- golden orange, nice head but no retention or lacing, good visibility

S- tons of sour apple and light spice

T- cinnamon, nutmeg, apple, pumpkin spice,

M- very light and watery but surprisingly refreshing

O- I actually really enjoy this beer. It's like a pumpkin spice hard cider. Not what I expected from the warmer, malty, and heavy pumpkins I'm accustomed to. I appreciate how refreshing and light this pumpkin ale is!

4.5/5  rDev +55.7%

I'm surprised by the 69 BA rating, and angry about the bros 41 score. Without being prejudiced by the label or description, Pumpkinhead simply delivers a great tasting and refreshing product in this category. And unlike the more expensive Pumple Drumkin ($11 for 6), this one is inexpensive, widely available, and tastes like what it says it tastes like. I look forward to this one each fall.

3.75/5  rDev +29.8%

I had this for the first time Fall 2013 and wasn't a huge fan - it tasted a bit artificial and overly spiced compared to some of the other spiced pumpkin ales that I tried. However, I bought another 6 pack a few weeks ago (in spirit of the season) to find that it tasted much better. Not sure if they lowered the amount of spice or not but it came out nicely. Pours a golden color with a hazy colored head. Tastes of cinnamon and pumpkin with a splash of nutmeg. Combines really well with cider and other spiced liquors for when you're sitting around a fire!

2.28/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

More of a pumpkin soda than a pumpkin beer.
It tastes like a cheap beer with artificial pumpkin pie spices added.
Light orange color, fizzy, watery mouthfeel.
It is drinkable, but not very enjoyable or satisfying.
Just about any other pumpkin ale would be a better choice.

3.36/5  rDev +16.3%

Beer is ok, not much pumpkin too much cinnamon. ABV is rather low
compared to others. Typical fall favorite,
but not mine. Aroma and look there, but not taste.

3.31/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a mason jar: color is gold, head is bright white but dissipates quickly to a ring, no lacing.

Aroma is probably the best quality of this ale: light spice, good amount of wheat, subtle earthy, fleshy pumpkin.

Taste is thinner, as described it is refreshing, a lighter pumpkin ale. Flavor is crisp, good amount of wheat, subtle pumpkin and moderate spice; spice is ginger, clove, all spice and cinnamon. Most recent tasting has a bit more malt and biscuit flavor, while still remaining light

Mouthfeel is a bit crisp and lager like for a pumpkin ale. Most recent tasting seems to have a fuller mouthfeel from more wheat/oat like component, but still fairly crisp.

Overall, a thinner, crisper pumpkin ale - not my preference but not a bad take on the style

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

I actually like this beer. No head. Light Color. Not your traditional pumpkin beer. BUT it is what is marketed to be.

The flavor is refreshing - just like they market it. Shipyard isn't marketing a super intense Fall explosion. According to Shipyard, "Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale is a crisp and refreshing wheat ale with delightful aromatics and subtle spiced flavor."

If you are reading the description when you purchase the beer then you should expect a lighter subtle pumpkin beer. The beer tasted how it was described. It was great for a sunny Fall day - a great transition from Summer beers to something more intense.

Surprised this beer is ranked so low. It's not great but it's a good session beer and good for the season. It's a darker gold. The head is only around for a few seconds. The aroma I'm picking up on is mainly cinnamon. I'm liking the spices in this beer and the taste has a bit of cinnamon and you pick up on the pumpkin presence fairly easily as well. It is a little too watery which would be my main complaint about it, yet the spices, cinnamon and pumpkin to blend together nicely and while it's not a great pumpkin beer, it isn't half bad either. Definitely could have a few of these.

3.14/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Deep golden colored with great clarity. A fingernail of eggshell white head is present,but not for long. Aroma is of cinnamon and nutmeg. The taste is overwhelmingly spiced nutmeg and cinnamon. The body is a bit thin and the spices are a bit much.

3.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Haha...to weak? Great beer, killer pumpkin flavor...the low ABV keeps the geeks at bay...whatever, enjoy a great session pumkin brew...easy drinking with a ton of flavor!

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

Okay, so i really like this beer in a convenience store junk food kind of way. Like when you're driving through the dregs of PA and come across a Sheetz and it's the best thing ever even though you know it's really very bad. It comes in cans, which taste way better than the bottles. Also, don't bother pouring it anywhere else than your mouth.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

I love this time of the year because of all the pumpkin beers that come out. I tend to like the pumpkin beers that have a lot of spice and pumpkin flavor to them. I was a little disappointed with this beer. The reason that I bought this beer is because I wanted to try something new. The pumpkin and spice flavor is not as intense as I like and once you swallow the beer the flavor goes down with it.

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz can to pint glass

A- pours a clear deep golden yellow color with a small fizzy white head that disappears completely, leaving no trace of lace behind

S- cola and sugar candy aroma with hints of cinnamon. Also picking up an artificial caramel aroma

T- sugary and sweet up front with an artificial cola-like taste that kicks in mid-palate and continues into the finish, hints of cinnamon on a dry finish

M- medium-light body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy-creamy mouthfeel and a crisp-dry finish

O- this one is just too artificial tasting, it reminds me or watered down cola with cinnamon, not a good example of the style

A: 5/5 Looks great! Radiant in the glass

S: 5/5 Smells like pumpkin pie!!! Nutmeg and spice and pumpkin and malt.

T: 5/5 Exactly like it smells but even more intense. How is that possible?? Huge cinnamon roll things going on, plenty of vanilla as well. Spectacular!

M: 5/5 Velvety and smooth. Perfect.

O: 5/5 Literally flawless interpretation of the style.

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a great pumpkin aroma.
Appearance- Pours a golden amber with an off-white head.
Taste- I love the pumpkin flavor of this brew. I noticed many don't care for it. I don't understand.
Palate- A light to medium bodied brew with moderate carbonation.
Overall- One of my favorite pumpkin beers.

2.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Definitely not the color I would expect from a pumpkin ale. This is the first pumpkin ale that I have had this season that was not the right color. Looks like a slightly dark bud light. Even though I see a good amount of carbonation, there is a little head and hardly any lacing. Aroma is extremely faint and I can hardly pick up any smell of spice or pumpkin. Even though is a good bit of carbonation and decent mouthfeel, this beer lacks any discernible flavor of pumpkin and spice. It is very faint and watered down. The mouthfeel is fizzy and refreshing, but this is not like any pumpkin ale I have ever had. Little disappointing considering the other brews I have had from Shipyard...

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.