Shipyard Blue Fin Stout - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Blue Fin StoutShipyard Blue Fin Stout

good

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Blue Fin Stout Alström Bros

YourOnlyMan, Oct 28, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -65%

Got two bottles via beer of the month club but both were a bust. Inside of the cap had a sticky gunk. Both bottles totally foamed out as they were poured. Came back after the foam settled and tried tasting them. Never had an opportunity to truly evaluate them and felt like I wasted money.

ptarmigan98, Jan 18, 2014
1.48/5  rDev -58.5%

drinkfella, Aug 23, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -50.1%

BOTM club offering.

A: Poured very dark brown into a pint glass - chunky amber head disapated quickly, leaving nothing on the glass.

S: Over the top roasted malts, aroma of burnt toast.

T: Burnt, stale cigarette flavors (I haven't smoked in 5 years) complete turn off, way too much black patent or roasted barley, the bitterness is overwhelming and it destroys what chocolaty goodness there may be lurking in there - left a horrible aftertaste.

M: medium body, with excessive carbonation for style.

I was completely disappointed with this one, the excessive "burnt" characteristics just ruined it for me.

chefdejour, Jun 28, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -48.7%

about 50 degree F into a pint glass
A- opaque black with a thick tan head head that dissipates quickly

S- chocolate and somewhat medicinal

T- metallic, bitter, very dry, acidic, burnt (someone went bananas on the black patent)

M- astringent and unpleasant. Only leaves a bitter taste on the tongue

D- terrible, disappointing, definitely a non repeat

aahynick, Jul 04, 2010

erlenmeyer, Jan 11, 2012

Optifron, Aug 17, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -41.7%

Poured into stout glass, served at approximately 55 degrees Farenheit:

A - Dark brown, nearly black color with 1/2 finger light tan head which disappears quickly, but leaves good lacing on glass.

S - Not much, especially for a stout. Slight toasted grain smell and a decent bit of smoke. Very slight caramel flavors after several minutes of smelling. No discernible hop aromas.

T - Dirt is the first impression I get. Not a pleasant flavor. Smoke is very high. Smoke from the front of the palate through the late finish, which could be due to high roasted barley content. Only flavor other than smoke is a huge buttery flavor. Very unpleasant. Batch could have been fermented too hot. Slight, but noticeable amount of bitterness, on par with style.

M - Creamy feeling. Slightly chewy. Sadly, best feature of the beer.

O - Very disappointing, as stouts are my favorite and I've heard good things about this beer. Perhaps a bad batch or just very old? I will give this one more shot (from a different retailer) in the future. Flavor was severely lacking in complexity for a stout. Smoke and butter were the only two things I got from this. It was difficult to finish.

beardedterror, Mar 20, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Andy shared this one. Thanks. Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with no head. Just looks kind of dull.

The aroma is sweet and fruity. Thanks for using the same yeast everytime Shipyard. I appreciate it. Sweet and fruity with a little bit of coffee in the aroma. Sweet mollasses, which has been a good thing in the past but that and the yeast working together are just not good.

The body is light and the carbonation is soft. Overall, this smells and taste like shipyard. Which in my expirience i just bad.

Bendurgin, Sep 25, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

With all the “big” stouts out there right now, this one really falls short as far as overall flavor and delivery. Appearance is lighter than most stouts and the taste follows the coloring. It lacked in depth, smell and mouthfeel. Trying to let it stand on its own, I couldn’t really draw anything out of it. There was nothing offensive about it, but basically felt watered down.

With all the killer stouts out there right now, I feel like this beer needs to step it up in order for me to try it again.

donovanneb, Oct 17, 2011

suckaj, Aug 03, 2014

jsurfs82, Apr 13, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -37%

Lackluster in nearly every category. Thin aroma of coffee and soap, combined with a body that's too fizzy and a taste that heads toward Pepsi (you remember that old song... "Pepsi Cola's a stinky drink; pour it down the kitchen sink; smells like vinegar, tastes like ink; Pepsi Cola's a stinky drink!") rather than stout or any beer flavor, this is one to avoid. If not for the appealing color this would be a failure in my book. Blech.

gfreed, Apr 22, 2011

2ellas, May 13, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really thought that I'd enjoy this beer, I pouted it out and it looked great at that point. Being a fan of most stout's this one should be good. I took my first sip and I was stunned with a taste of some kind of metallic flavor. I was a little grossed out by it. I let it sit for a little and went back to it and it still gave off this old metallic scotch like flavor. I was able to finish the beer thankfully, but I told myself that this had to be the worst stout I'd ever had.

Knapp85, Mar 21, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

I received a bottle of this at a conference I recently attended.
I love stouts, but this one was a bit too coffee for my taste.

A- Beautiful appearance. Deep, dark opaque black/brown with a roasted nut brown head. Not too thick, very nice. Didn't last long and the lacing was slight.

S- An almost sweet scent. I barely got an aroma of coffee, but very light and not in the least strong enough to give me a clue as to what the taste would end up like. A simple aroma.

T- Awful, for me. I admit to hating coffee (which makes trying a new stout a crapshoot for me.) I love bitter, and hoppy, just can't stand the coffee. And that's what this tasted like to me, like drinking tepid coffee.

M- Watery and somewhat fizzy. Thin. Added to the tepid coffee experience.

D- I ended up doing something I never do: I poured it out after about half. Just couldn't stand it.

Mechphisto, Mar 26, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from bottle into snifter. This beer. Just be way over carbonated. A light pour yielded a huge billowing dusty head, I'm talking like 3 inch head.

A- as noted above huge head is making this beer a challenge to drink. It does have a nice black appearance with Ruby edges.

S- the smell is a little off. I'm getting some plastic type smells mixed with Chocolate. Very strange. Not all bad but strange.

T- very weak taste that is reminiscent of the weird candy you get from the bottom of a mixed candy jar. The plastic shows up again and is really making This hard to drink.

M- way over carbonated, might have been from the trade journey but its been a day, really hard to drink. Very prickly on the palate. Not a good mouthfeel.

D- not very good. I'm having trouble drinking one 12 oz bottle. Combination of high carbonation and weird taste is rough.

Thanks to beerthursdays for the chance to try this brew that is unavailable in the big ky.

Kelly88, Mar 05, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured near black, with a tan head and lacing that lasted. And that was about the only upside to this selection. The nose was toffee-like and buttery - the diacetyl from the ringwood shined through even the roastiest of their beers. The taste was roasty and chocolatey, a little bit of black licorice, followed by buttery popcorn. The mouthfeel was average for a dry stout, but the diacetyl cut the drinkability short.

DousedInStout, Jan 10, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -30.5%

Opened this because I need an extra bottle for my homebrew. Screw top cap. Curses! Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark amber/black. There is a small quarter inch head; not much lacing.

The aroma is full of molasses cookie, with maybe a little bit of burnt rubber.

The taste is sweet molasses. This is mostly just sweet malt followed by a yeasty caramel finish.

The body is medium and the carbonation medium.

This is a bit of a disappointment. I guess I like it better on nitro-tap.

andrewinski1, Sep 25, 2011

JedediahK, Apr 01, 2012

mitch3114, Oct 08, 2012

jpd7374, Dec 31, 2011

tommyguz, May 10, 2013

hoppecatania, Sep 04, 2014
Shipyard Blue Fin Stout from Shipyard Brewing Co.