Shipyard Blue Fin Stout - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Blue Fin StoutShipyard Blue Fin Stout

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Blue Fin Stout Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -63.7%

Got two bottles via beer of the month club but both were a bust. Inside of the cap had a sticky gunk. Both bottles totally foamed out as they were poured. Came back after the foam settled and tried tasting them. Never had an opportunity to truly evaluate them and felt like I wasted money.

1.82/5  rDev -49.2%

BOTM club offering.

A: Poured very dark brown into a pint glass - chunky amber head disapated quickly, leaving nothing on the glass.

S: Over the top roasted malts, aroma of burnt toast.

T: Burnt, stale cigarette flavors (I haven't smoked in 5 years) complete turn off, way too much black patent or roasted barley, the bitterness is overwhelming and it destroys what chocolaty goodness there may be lurking in there - left a horrible aftertaste.

M: medium body, with excessive carbonation for style.

I was completely disappointed with this one, the excessive "burnt" characteristics just ruined it for me.

1.88/5  rDev -47.5%

about 50 degree F into a pint glass
A- opaque black with a thick tan head head that dissipates quickly

S- chocolate and somewhat medicinal

T- metallic, bitter, very dry, acidic, burnt (someone went bananas on the black patent)

M- astringent and unpleasant. Only leaves a bitter taste on the tongue

D- terrible, disappointing, definitely a non repeat

2.11/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured into stout glass, served at approximately 55 degrees Farenheit:

A - Dark brown, nearly black color with 1/2 finger light tan head which disappears quickly, but leaves good lacing on glass.

S - Not much, especially for a stout. Slight toasted grain smell and a decent bit of smoke. Very slight caramel flavors after several minutes of smelling. No discernible hop aromas.

T - Dirt is the first impression I get. Not a pleasant flavor. Smoke is very high. Smoke from the front of the palate through the late finish, which could be due to high roasted barley content. Only flavor other than smoke is a huge buttery flavor. Very unpleasant. Batch could have been fermented too hot. Slight, but noticeable amount of bitterness, on par with style.

M - Creamy feeling. Slightly chewy. Sadly, best feature of the beer.

O - Very disappointing, as stouts are my favorite and I've heard good things about this beer. Perhaps a bad batch or just very old? I will give this one more shot (from a different retailer) in the future. Flavor was severely lacking in complexity for a stout. Smoke and butter were the only two things I got from this. It was difficult to finish.

2.16/5  rDev -39.7%

Andy shared this one. Thanks. Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with no head. Just looks kind of dull.

The aroma is sweet and fruity. Thanks for using the same yeast everytime Shipyard. I appreciate it. Sweet and fruity with a little bit of coffee in the aroma. Sweet mollasses, which has been a good thing in the past but that and the yeast working together are just not good.

The body is light and the carbonation is soft. Overall, this smells and taste like shipyard. Which in my expirience i just bad.

2.26/5  rDev -36.9%

With all the “big” stouts out there right now, this one really falls short as far as overall flavor and delivery. Appearance is lighter than most stouts and the taste follows the coloring. It lacked in depth, smell and mouthfeel. Trying to let it stand on its own, I couldn’t really draw anything out of it. There was nothing offensive about it, but basically felt watered down.

With all the killer stouts out there right now, I feel like this beer needs to step it up in order for me to try it again.

2.29/5  rDev -36%

Lackluster in nearly every category. Thin aroma of coffee and soap, combined with a body that's too fizzy and a taste that heads toward Pepsi (you remember that old song... "Pepsi Cola's a stinky drink; pour it down the kitchen sink; smells like vinegar, tastes like ink; Pepsi Cola's a stinky drink!") rather than stout or any beer flavor, this is one to avoid. If not for the appealing color this would be a failure in my book. Blech.

2.3/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really thought that I'd enjoy this beer, I pouted it out and it looked great at that point. Being a fan of most stout's this one should be good. I took my first sip and I was stunned with a taste of some kind of metallic flavor. I was a little grossed out by it. I let it sit for a little and went back to it and it still gave off this old metallic scotch like flavor. I was able to finish the beer thankfully, but I told myself that this had to be the worst stout I'd ever had.

2.39/5  rDev -33.2%

L: Pitch black with yellow granules suspended throughout the beer
S: faint brown sugar and molasses
T: Toasty malt and molasses mostly with a mild stale wheat finish
F: Good carbonation with a mouthfeel on the thinner side

Overall: It's okay stout but the little yellow granules can be unsettling to look at for a true beer snob.

2.44/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from bottle into snifter. This beer. Just be way over carbonated. A light pour yielded a huge billowing dusty head, I'm talking like 3 inch head.

A- as noted above huge head is making this beer a challenge to drink. It does have a nice black appearance with Ruby edges.

S- the smell is a little off. I'm getting some plastic type smells mixed with Chocolate. Very strange. Not all bad but strange.

T- very weak taste that is reminiscent of the weird candy you get from the bottom of a mixed candy jar. The plastic shows up again and is really making This hard to drink.

M- way over carbonated, might have been from the trade journey but its been a day, really hard to drink. Very prickly on the palate. Not a good mouthfeel.

D- not very good. I'm having trouble drinking one 12 oz bottle. Combination of high carbonation and weird taste is rough.

Thanks to beerthursdays for the chance to try this brew that is unavailable in the big ky.

2.46/5  rDev -31.3%

L: beautiful jet black with a tight tan head
S: metallic, medical
T: no mistake....this is a dry roasty stout
F: way too thin of a body for what I was expecting
O: true to style, I guess I don't like this style

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Opened this because I need an extra bottle for my homebrew. Screw top cap. Curses! Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark amber/black. There is a small quarter inch head; not much lacing.

The aroma is full of molasses cookie, with maybe a little bit of burnt rubber.

The taste is sweet molasses. This is mostly just sweet malt followed by a yeasty caramel finish.

The body is medium and the carbonation medium.

This is a bit of a disappointment. I guess I like it better on nitro-tap.

2.49/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured near black, with a tan head and lacing that lasted. And that was about the only upside to this selection. The nose was toffee-like and buttery - the diacetyl from the ringwood shined through even the roastiest of their beers. The taste was roasty and chocolatey, a little bit of black licorice, followed by buttery popcorn. The mouthfeel was average for a dry stout, but the diacetyl cut the drinkability short.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

I received a bottle of this at a conference I recently attended.
I love stouts, but this one was a bit too coffee for my taste.

A- Beautiful appearance. Deep, dark opaque black/brown with a roasted nut brown head. Not too thick, very nice. Didn't last long and the lacing was slight.

S- An almost sweet scent. I barely got an aroma of coffee, but very light and not in the least strong enough to give me a clue as to what the taste would end up like. A simple aroma.

T- Awful, for me. I admit to hating coffee (which makes trying a new stout a crapshoot for me.) I love bitter, and hoppy, just can't stand the coffee. And that's what this tasted like to me, like drinking tepid coffee.

M- Watery and somewhat fizzy. Thin. Added to the tepid coffee experience.

D- I ended up doing something I never do: I poured it out after about half. Just couldn't stand it.

2.64/5  rDev -26.3%

A 1" chocolate brown head develops then rops to a ring rather quickly. A black brew with no lacing at all.
Smell is nearly no existent, just a faint hint of hops.
Taste was of coffee, malt and hops. No balance.
A light-bodied beer with more effervescence than a stout should have, and very little aftertaste.
Not a hard beer to drink, but not really worth drinking.

2.65/5  rDev -26%

*did not mind would not buy*

app: deep dark garnet blood black mix, tan head that is bout 2 fingers good.

smell: nice roasty toasty smell small pinch of dirty nickles.

taste: metalic watery with rich roasty flavor back drop, this is no good. you want no metalic or water but they seem to lead the parade. nice finish though, i will give it that.

mf: to thin and bright.

drinkable?: eh, not very much.

where is the balance and quality control?

2.68/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On nitro tap at Vine Street Pub for Stout Month 2011. The beer was served in an 8oz milkshake pilsner glass.

A - A very very dark brown color, though not quite black. Amber/brown on the edges. A thin 1/4" creamy tan nitro head with little retention and almost no lacing.

S - A light sweet chocolate roasted malt character on the nose. Pretty average for an Irish Dry Stout.

T/M - The beer from the get go tastes light and thin and watery. Very little roasted malt character on the front. The middle brings a mild bitterness. The beer finishes very light and watery with a hint of roasted malt. Lightly carbonated and light/medium bodied.

D - Meh. A coworker of mine rejected it back to the server.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this beer. My 2 co-workers who also tried it said the same thing: thin, water, and reminded us of fish! Not recommended, I will not be back. Maybe we got a bad batch but this was not pleasant.

Serving type: nitro-tap

Reviewed on: 02-11-2011 20:09:33

2.69/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Popping the top on this one I was surprised at the “poof” of air and slight sizzle of carbonation and unsurprisingly, poured straight into a large tulip I didn’t get a quarter of the way through the beer before a thick four finger head stopped just short of overflowing the rim of the glass. I’m not lying - it took nearly 15 minutes of letting the head die down and pouring a tiny bit more before the whole bottle was in the glass. Umm...maybe a bit over-carbonated, particularly for a style that tends towards lower levels of carbonation? Eventually things settle down into a tan one finger head with zero lacing. Color is almost entirely black (39), with perhaps just a hint of dark brown amber. Nose is moderately strong and essentially all about dark roasty notes, dark chocolate, espresso beans, and perhaps a touch of hazelnut. Sip is sweet dark chocolate up front with coffee notes all over the midpalate. Back of the tongue is somewhat thin and both tastes and feels a bit like club soda. Now may be as good as any time to point out that the massive carbonation in the pour is apparent in the taste and mouthfeel - Blue Fin Stout is vastly over-carbonated, much to its detriment, both for the style and for the overall effect on flavor. Subsequent sips see a slightly more nutty presence, but as a whole this is pretty one-dimensional and actually quite thin, both in flavor and mouthfeel. Finish is bitter dark chocolate and coffee. All in all, this is a pretty unimpressive stout which I would neither recommend nor pick up again. Furthermore, along with their IPA (which had some odd blueberry notes) this is a second beer from Shipyard that has left with unimpressed. (4-18-14)

2.76/5  rDev -22.9%

Black, the head's brown and not beige.

It's got that marshmellow smell, more coffee there than anything.

Not much going on here, perhaps it's a bad bottle. Roasted malts/barely stand out, some crisp hops on the finish. Slightly dark chocolatey but so weak. Flavors are tuned up toward the middle, still they're not definite.

Seems more carbonated than it actually is due to the real subtlety in flavoring. I'd rather this than motor-oil-thick, seems closer to the porter.

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass -- dark brown/black with a very strongly carbonated tan head.

Smells of burnt coffe, including that unpleasant sour bean note.

Mocha, caramel, and coffee grounds--but nothing strong here. All very subdued.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. Not digging this that much.

I guess if you are in the swillin' mood, you could knock a couple back. I say -- Why waste your time with another. Not gonna buy this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

From 355ml bottle with freshness date six months away. It has a pretty dark colour (certainly can't see through it) and a fairly borwn head which mostly dissipated to the rim before I began drinking. It has a roasted malt nose: dark chocolate and coffee. I hope it doesn't taste of coffee.

Hmmm....it's riding the coffee line for me, although I'm not the best judge since I've avoided the evil stuff for more than the last 50% of my life. It starts quite sweetly and chocolatey but then as the hops kick in and it becomes more bitter it tends towards coffee. After a couple of sips I'm glad I let the wife have half of the bottle, but trying to be objective I can see this is fairly well done, just not my, er, cup of tea.

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Well first off the ringwood isn't as noticeable in this one as in their other beers, I gave it a chance as I figured maybe a stout could cover the yeast but I think I'm finally done with Shipyard.
Dark brown/black with red at the edges, topped with a three finger well structured puffy tan head. Looks really nice.
Coffee, roasted barley, dark fruit, earthy and citrus notes to the aroma.
Roasted malt, and there is is the buttery taste, a touch of wood. The butter is distracting, there should be more tastes going by the aroma.
Medium-full bodied.

2.9/5  rDev -19%

I have had much better stout. It smells like a dry stout with a hint of sweetness but also like burnt coffee. The bitterness is astringent and not unlike burnt coffee . There is a hint of sweetness and hops. The palate is average. This one needs some more time in dry dock.

2.91/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a large off-white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of dry coffee with not much else in term of discernable characteristics. Taste is also very dry with some coffee notes and limited roasted malt notes appearance. Body is about average with goo carbonation. I thought that overall this was too dry which limited the drinkability factor.

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a deep dark brown with a very big dark, coffee colored head. Lot of carbonation from the minute the cap is popped.

Smells of rich roasty malt and light coffee notes. There is also the familiar Ringwood yeast smell as well. No real subtle smells, mostly dominated by the dark malts.

Taste is rich, roasted malt with some dark chocolate or mocha tastes. The carbonation is definitely very strong in the mouth, not sure if this bottle was just shaken up or something but the carbonation is much more than expected in a stout. I've had this on nitro out on Peaks Island a number of times and really enjoyed its smoothness. I think I prefer that quite a bit over the bottled version.

Shipyard Blue Fin Stout from Shipyard Brewing Co.