Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

good

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Casey10 on 08-31-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) Alström Bros

jdougherty, Jan 30, 2012

ThatsThatDude, Jan 06, 2014

Megs, Sep 30, 2012

erlenmeyer, Jan 11, 2012

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by Eric in not one, but two delicious vintages. Thank you.

A: Pours a hazy, orange-amber body with off-white head.

S: Butter, cream soda, nutmeg.

T: Very boozy when cold; only moderately boozy when warm. Buttery at both temperatures. Some cream soda and vanilla presence.

O: This beer is hilariously buttery. I can't even fathom why it has a B average. I actually made pumpkin beer bread with the remainder, and in lieu of the butter and spice requirement, I threw in this beer. The bread turned out horrible.

Arbitrator, Nov 05, 2011

mmcmahon3, Aug 31, 2014
1.16/5  rDev -69%

drinkfella, Aug 23, 2014
1.38/5  rDev -63.1%

Thanks to Azurelimits for bringing this to our pumpkin tasting.

Pours a medium orange color with a thin off white head. The nose is quite strong and goes in all the wrong directions. It tastes quite a bit like someone melted a stick of butter on top of a pumpkin pie. The taste is quite awful, with a buttery, spiced flavor and not too much actual pumpkin coming through. Feel is really creamy and odd. I really did not like this one--definite drain pour. I should say that there were others who at least somewhat enjoyed it, so it's probably just me.

EDIT: Matt's review makes it clear that at least one more at the tasting found this to be thoroughly disgusting.

Thorpe429, Oct 18, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

Horrible. A sickly sweet syrupy mess with one hell of an alcohol burn. No balance, weak body, pale uninspiring color. Just not a good beer, and for almost $10 a bottle I feel ripped off. It's clear that there are few pumpkin ales that are more than a gimmick.

loving44, Sep 13, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

rangr514, Aug 27, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -55.9%

As if Shipyards Pumpkinhead was not bad enough, we have this doozie. How they can taste these beers and think they taste good is beyond me. The spicing is beyond tolerable levels. This is even worse than Pumpkinhead because of the high ABV and the dreadful aftertaste. The whole bottle went right down the drain. Bye bye $9!
Tastes like something you would use to remove paint. I love Pumpkin Ales (good ones..Dogfish, Weyerbacher, Souther Tier) and this is definitely not a good example of one in my opinion. Did have a nice color though. Looks can be deceiving I suppose!

Jdiddy, Oct 02, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -55.1%

Split with my girlfriend, poured into two pint glasses.

A - Crystal-clear light copper with a thin, off-white head. Looks rather plain.
S - Very sweet malt, pumpkin and nutmeg. Smells overly sweet and the pumpkin seems a bit past it's prime. Slight sour aroma.
T - Right-on with the nose, dreadfully sweet malt, pumpkin, and nutmeg is about it for the flavors. The pumpkin tastes awful, like a tinny, canned extract. A ROTTEN, tinny, canned extract. Just a real mess, and the cheap nutmeg doesn't help, either. Tastes even worse as it warms. What a shame, we were really looking forward to this.
M - Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Not bad, perhaps the best part of this beer.
D - Terrible. This was actually my 1st all-out drainpour, and the girlfriend agreed. Shipyard needs to stop making Pumpkin Beers, and this is from someone who usually loves the style. Avoid!

jsanford, Nov 16, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -53.7%

Whoa. Pumpkin/spice overload.

I don't know how you'd make it through a 4 oz. taster of this, let alone a pint. Damn. Insane pumpkin leaps out of you as though it was fermented with no other ingredients. Ton of spices. ... cinnamon, god knows what else. I kind of think ingredients should be integrated into the beer.

Oh, and it's kind of a dull orange color with a surprisingly big head, and it smells like pumpkin.

Overlord, Oct 10, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -53.7%

22oz. bomber acquired in New York, I'll serve this at between fridge and cellar temperature in a pub style pint glass. 2009 vintage.

Appearance- Pours a bright copper with a fiery red shimmer, while the head builds to about two fingers in height. It condenses slowly to a soapy topper, all the while providing a noticable sizzle on the ears. There is just a smattering of lacing, lasting only for seconds then disappearing completely.

Smell- The nose is a combination of Southern Comfort and manufactured spice aromas... nothing at all resembling pumpkin or squash, the classic benchmarks for the style. It's hot with alcohol, really an awful final presentation to offer with a photo and blurb of the brewmaster on the label. On a second pour with plenty of foam, I do get a suggestion of the hops buried within.

Taste- Oh boy... I will try to be nice here. The first flavor impressions I get are sweet, medicinal, boozy displays that struggle for balance. After a good swish, the hotness of the alcohol takes over and burns the palate, blistering any subleties or "pumpkin" character and leaving behind a scorched trail of heat and bitterness. A total fiasco.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Unfortunately at this point nothing can save this beer from the gallows, but at least the texture isn't terrible. It rises to a prickly, aggressive carbonation level and then subsides to a reasonably smooth finish. I'm not sure if this year's offering was majorly lacking in balance and overall structure, but I really hope for the brewery's sake that this recipe gets some serious attention and retooling.

yelterdow, Dec 28, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

Element1290, Dec 03, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

AZBeerDude, Aug 08, 2014
1.83/5  rDev -51.1%

Review adapted from notes taken in October, 2009

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Orange and copper, decent head

Smell: Honestly smells like an undercooked pumpkin pie that someone tried to bake with an extra pound of sugar - not a good sign of things to come

Taste: Borderline awful - way too sweet, an indescribable amount of nutmeg - some hints of pumpkin, but it mostly just tastes like malty sugar water with some nutmeg and other spices

Mouthfeel: Poor - smooth, but so light that it creates the overall experience of drinking watered down cough syrup mixed with extra sugar

Overall: Drinkability? A bad taste with a relatively high ABV? Nope.

I honestly hope that I got a bad bottle. As I am currently converting my old notes into BA reviews, I am having flashbacks of drinking this beer. I remember it vividly because it was so poor. This is the worst pumpkin ale I have ever had, but on the bright side it created a benchmark that I can compare to other beers of the style.

angrybabboon, Feb 04, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -50.5%

A- Pours a bright copper with a pretty nice white head. Head fades pretty quickly and leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Wow. A combination of booze and a shitload of pumpkin spices. Smells artifical as well

T- Quite a mess of booze, medicinal burn, random spices of cinnamon and nutmeg, and a touch of bitterness. Not very good at all.

M- Medium in body and carbonation was a bit of much.

O- Not a huge fan of the style, but this one was not very good.

nrbw23, Dec 19, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -49.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours clear yellow orange with a smallish white head that quickly goes to a thin collar.

The aroma is sweet malt and a lot of spices (cinnamon and allspice) - more spicy than just pumpkin pie.

The flavor is a little sweet malt with a huge amount of spice (a ton of cinnamon that makes it kind of spicy and tastes a bit like peppermint) and some odd medicinal bitterness in the finish. Unfortunately it tastes a bit like cinnamon gum or even mouthwash. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, this is strange. It tastes more like a spicy cinnamon beer than a pumpkin beer - trending toward mouthwash.

Beaver13, Sep 08, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -48.4%

Been sitting on this one for probably a little over a month now. Was really hoping for a knockout from Shipyard, but instead got a fizzle.

A - Clear copper with a one finger fizzy head that almost instantly dissolved into nothing. Appearance looks well, flat.

S - I get more aroma with regular ol Pumpkinhead than this junk. Ridiculously light pumpkin and typical spice notes. Barely a hint of sweet malts.

T - Light sweet malts. Same as the nose really weak almost watery tastes. The more I drink this, the worse it gets?

M - While the alcohol isnt present much (shocking due to the 9%) this is incredibly syrupy and feels almost flat. Very unpleasant.

D - I guess if your a fan of pumpkin head you'll like this? Then again, probably not. Unlike pumpkinhead, which tends to be crisp and refreshing, this is the opposite. Sorry to say, this stuff is a drain pour for me.

rudzud, Sep 14, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -47.9%

Nothing says "Hey it's October and you should be drinking fall-themed beers, asshole!" like a pumpkin beer. So I picked up Smashed Pumpkin Ale from Shipyard. I accidentally overchilled it - so serving starts at around 40°F and gently warmed to low-60's by the end of the second glass.

No yeast.

I'm always a fan of foil tops, and this gold-foiled cap is no exception, perfectly accenting the orange and gold label.

A: Pours a sparkling, coppery orange, with a very thin head and thicker collar and a few random bubbles in the middle. Tilting the glass leaves legs underneath a sparkling, descending curtain of falling lace.

S: Wow. That's a lot of spice, especially considering the cool temperature. Let's play a word association game, shall we? I'm going to list all of the words that come to mind as i sniff:

Pumpkin. (Yeah, I took the easy one.) Anise. Nutmeg. Licorice. Autumn. Nutmeg. Jack-o-lantern. Caramel. Cinnamon. Cooler weather. Munich malt. Pumpkin pie. No distinguishable hops. Nastier as it warms. More licorice. Banana. Uncle Don getting drunk on Pumpkin Schnapps during football and puking all over the couch. Anger. Fucking nutmeg again. Betrayal. Spiced vomit. Ruined holidays.

Wow, that was fun. I don't have an uncle Don, so I guess somehow this brew is giving me false memory syndrome.

T: The taste is exactly what the nose foreshadowed. Three major elements are combined here. First, and least noticeable, is the perfect level of hop bitterness, from no distinct hop strain. The hops are most apparent at the finish. Secondly, we have plenty of malt features: toast, caramel, biscuit, honey, fresh bread, cloves. Lastly, and most distinguishable, are the spices. Pick a pumpkin pie spice; it will be here. This is liquid pumpkin bread. There's more banana than the nose suggested, but I wouldn't call this an estery beer.

The flavor is better than the smell, but as this beer warms, the spices start getting brutal, and the flavor continues to degrade from drinkable to bad to sickening. Near room temperature, it's just plain awful.

M: Full-bodied with fair carbonation. Creamy. Mouthfeel is the only redeeming quality in SP.

D: Negative score on drinkability. I scowl when someone talks about pouring out beer, but the garbage disposal threatened to eat another spoon if I didn't share the last third of this beer.

I saw a jack-o-lantern the other day that was supposed to look like hands spreading butt cheeks, Ace-Ventura style. (Classy, I know.) If I had to guess what licking that pumpkin's crack would taste like...

Anyway, this had the potential to be a good beer, but the amount of spice completely ruined the flavor and aroma. Looking back at other reviews, it appears it was better last year, but this batch of Smashed Pumpkin will join the hall of fame as one of about 5 beers that conquered me and forced a pour-out.

SPThirtyThree, Oct 22, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -47.9%

Bottle shared by BeerFMAndy.

Bright orange hue. Modest white head. Pumpkin pie spices and wet wood make up the nose. Flavors are not good. Taste like pumpkin cologne. Spices are a bit heavy. The alcohol come through quite a bit too. Light body. This one is not any better than the abomination known as pumpkin head.

beerwolf77, Dec 30, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -47.1%

Appearance - Poured aggressively, this hazy, bright golden orange brew produced a white, finger width head. The retention was sub-par, and the lacing was virtually non-existent.

Smell - Sweet, sugary aroma with hints of pumpkin and spice.

Taste - If I had to describe it in 10 words or less, it'd be this: caramel cola flavor infused with artificial pumpkin and spice. Sugary caramel, hints of cinnamon and even less so of nutmeg, while the pumpkin sits idly in back.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body, with an overcarbonation that hits on cola levels. Sticky.

Overall - Ugghh. Tastes quite literally like a pumpkin cola. I'm sorry, this is just awful. If there's any redeeming value, it's that it does well to hide the 9% ABV, but that's it. Not only would I never buy it again, I'd care to never see it on shelves again. Maybe the worst pumpkin ale I've ever had. I'd rather have a BMC than this dreck. I don't believe much in drain pours, but this one's getting serious consideration.

TheSixthRing, Dec 09, 2012

jheezee, Dec 07, 2011

Focusf111, Jun 21, 2012
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.