Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

good

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Casey10 on 08-31-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) Alström Bros

Focusf111, Jun 21, 2012

Optifron, Aug 17, 2012

doc17325, Sep 12, 2012

SUBER, Aug 31, 2014

Faina, Jan 05, 2012

Herky21, Sep 19, 2013

jtennyson99, Oct 28, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -45.2%

Why did I do this to myself? I already tried this brewery's "normal" pumpkin offering and was put off in a major way.

Was my weak mental moment a result of the implied value conveyed in the lofty price and flashy packaging? Maybe it was a Mainer friend's constant love of Shipyahhhd product? Egad, could I have been swayed by some of the favorable BeerAdvocate reviews for the brew?

Whatever the case, I'm still at a loss for why I made this purchase.

I popped this 22 open in darkness, basked in TV glow from VH1's TOOL ACADEMY while my darling daughter and belligerent wife slept in the room down the hall.

Appearance was not immediately evident as the room I was sucking this down in was unlit. I flirted with disaster, turned on a light that could wake the wife or baby, and spied a bottom shelf soda amber hue. Foaming/head was eerily similar to pouring Coke into a glass. Barely any heft to it and retreated very quickly. If you could buy store brand pumpkin soda, this is what it would look like. I believe it would be stocked between the red birch beer and translucent yellow pineapple soda.

I smell hints of Kearney, New Jersey as you traverse the Pulaski Skyway in here. Chemical sweet esters like a Burger King strawberry shake. Hard to make out definite pumpkin. I can pull out the allspice/cinnamon/nutmeg thing with a wet dog basenote. All of this going on really obscures any hint of alcohol.

The _taste_ of pumpkin is overbearing and chemical. Sort of as if they flavored NyQuil with pumpkin. If DumDums made a pumpkin lollipop, it would be milder in fake pumpkin that this beer. Aftertaste/finish is oddly bitter. Possibly the oils from the spices? As if you just poured cinnamon on your tongue expecting to taste cinnamon rolls, yet are instead surprised by the bitter nature of pure cinnamon.

The mouth is thin and unremarkable. Upon swallow a boozy burn takes hold after the fifth sip.

I could see this as being VERY drinkable on a Jersey City street corner after a take out of $1.99 shrimp in lobster sauce from the Chinese joint outside the Holland Tunnel exit. Other than that, I can't really think of a time you'd want to endure the weird taste just to get tipsy. I think Steel Reserve works better for that sort of thing.

I'm sad... sad that this is on the market and sad that I succumb to the marketing devices in place to make these things sell.

On a better note, I'm feeling the 9.0% now and My Antonio is starting in 25 mins!

countrocula, Oct 12, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -45.2%

This basically tastes like the regular Pumpkinhead Ale but with 9% ABV. There seems to be more spiciness and sweetness to it that really is intolerable. There is little carbonation so the mouthfeel is more smooth and syrupy. It was nasty. I'm pissed I spent $9 and I still got a cheap beer. If I wanted to drink something like this, I would sprinkle nutmeg & cinnamon in a bottle of pancake syrup and drink that...except I wouldn't get the buzz.

flanmedic51, Oct 03, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -45.2%

Oh Shipyard, this is yet another completely fucking disgusting pumpkin beer from you. DIACETYL BOMB! Back to brewing school with you.

Beer is orange and has a thin white head of small bubbles, minimal lacing moderate carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is mildly spicy and has a buttery component to it. Oh no.

Beer is silky creamy butterscotchy with a horrible pumpkin sour bitterness at the back end. Its like eating the skin off the pumpkin after its dipped in fake butter. Never again.

drabmuh, Oct 22, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -44.4%

Amkisiel, Sep 07, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

A: Bright cloudy orange beer with a good finger head which dissipates on the quick side, large bubbles.

S: Alcohol, hops, spice? I think, bitter nose.

T: Tart malt up front, bitter, sour.

M: Sour finish, did this go bad?

D: Poor, think I'm gonna dump this.

jiggahertz, Oct 23, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -42%

A: Pours a transparent pumpkin color with a small soapy head, no retention given the abv

S: Faint spice and raw pumpkin along with a big honey note. Everything is subtle and faint, the malts are light and don't give anything. Not impressive at all, and I love pumpkin beers

T: To say this tastes like Red Stripe with spices and a dash of raw unsweetened pumpkin would be accurate. Big sweetness and honey come through followed by some faint cinnamon and nutmeg. The aftertaste is of ginger ale...no pumpkin to be found

MF/O: Good feel to this one, pretty thick, alcohol is hidden well but warms. This is not a good example of a pumpkin beer at all...in fact this is the second worst pumpkin ale I've had aside from Shipyard's regular pumpkin ale...there are much better examples out there

scottyshades, Sep 18, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -42%

A 22 ounce bottle of the 2011 batch from inlimbo77; thank you! Split into snifters to share.

Pours a nice hazy orange with golden hues and about an inch of pure white, pillowy head. Good retention, and gorgeous legs in/around the surface of the liquid, but very little lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of pumpkin, cinnamon. clove, nutmeg, coriander, straw, some orange, a bit of earthen hops, and a variety of other spices. The nose, while having a lot going on, suggests a lighter bodied beer that will rely heavily on artificial spicing.

Sure enough, the taste begins with a mild ale where pumpkin seed, wheat, and citrus flavors hang out in a mellow fashion. At the very end, there is a rush of spices: coriander, clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon predominate, especially the cinammon. There is so much cinnamon on the finish that it's reminiscent of a Hot Tamale candy gummy, so yeah, a lot of cinammon. Second in line is the nutmeg that, while not as intense as the cinammon, lingers in the mouth eternally.

Mouthfeel is crisp, light-bodied and light on the tongue, and goes down easy. The lingering nutmeg is the greatest mouthfeel qualm.

Overall, an overspiced and out of balance pumpkin ale. I appreciate the opportunity to try it, but I won't seek it out again.

eclipse54, Dec 07, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

Beer two of last night's Wacusett Imperial Pumpking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and ST Pumking Pumpkin-Off.

Pours a clear, pale squashed color. Head quickly peters itself out to nothing.

Aroma of intense pumpkin pie spice like a pumpkin pie potpourri bath scent. No actual pumpkin but spice aplenty.

Tastes intensely of pumpkin pie spice. I like pumpkin pie spice but I'd like more beer in my pumpkin beer. The spice is so overpowering I can't get any beer through the onslaught. Bleh.

I've had this before and I remember it being an over-spiced, bigger version of Shipyard's Pumpkinhead which I don't like either. I remembered correctly. Drainpour.

donkeyrunner, Sep 05, 2011

Rhettroactive, Aug 11, 2014

Burt, Monday at 09:40 AM
2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured light golden, leaving a 3 finger head, slowly evaporating to light lacing.Nose naked of pumpkin/spices, taste boring and without flavour, and a weird describable aftertaste. Probably near the bottom of this years pumpkin/spice brews. Did I say it also tasted flat?

thequeen711, Sep 17, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -39%

Poured from a nicely labeled bomber into my tulip glass. Warm, pale orange color with a head that disappeared in 90 seconds.
Smell was just about non existent, save for a bit of caramel.
Body was pretty decent as it should be with all the fermentables that go into a 9.0 ale.
Taste? Sweet...then bitter, but always boozy. If you want to hit the pumpkin patch for 10 bucks a bomber, there are much better places to go.

theBubba, Oct 21, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -37.2%

Thanks to BA yelterdow for this gift.

Being an Imperial Pumpkin, this one was served from its 22oz bottle into a snifter at just below cellar temperature.

A - Crystal clear orange with vibrant coppery highlights. With a bit of a vigorous pour, a cream-colored head pushes up to about an inch, and makes a hasty retreat to a floating gossamer web. No head retention and no lacing to speak of.

S - Bright, honeyed maltiness with some apple-cidery undertones. Evanescent graham-cracker, sugar-coated cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Also a strange artificial tinge of candied ginger.

T - Begins with a sweetness that's more candied-ginger sugary than malty, shifting to a strange collaboration of cinnamon schnapps and clove dust. The same chemicalesque Band-Aid demon that plagues regular Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale rears it's head at this point. Massive doses of cinnamon spiciness and ginger completely overpower any subtle pumpkin or squash flavors that may be lingering somewhere beneath. The finish is moderately dry and medicinal.

M - Thin and watery going in , but becoming decently fluffy. Swallow is not as rich as the flavors might have one think, and tends to be a bit gassy.

D - I've had many many Pumpkin Ales and consider myself to quite knowledgeable in this style. While this particular offering is beautifully packaged, and although it sits head and tails above the regular (terrible) Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, it is still only mediocre at best -- failing to capture the essence of the mildly-flavored pumpkin as the main ingredient and focal point, and instead bombing the palate with a heavy handed use of the usual bevvy of spices and a whole bunch of alcohol. No disrespect to Adam Pugsley and his craft, but in the chess-game of Imperial Pumpkin Ales, this one is merely a subjugate pawn to Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin King.

EPseja, Nov 13, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -37.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a SA Perfect Pint

A - Slightly hazy yellow-orange pour with a decent white head; minimal retention and a loose lace.

S - Carries a thick, malty sweet smell with a caramel edge and a hint of alcohol. Any sort of spicing seems completely lost on me...so I'm assuming that it's just not there, and that this is supposed to be on the meaty pumpkin end of the spectrum.

T&M - Heavier bodied and rather thick feeling. Loads of malt give this an almost cloying sweetness. I feel like something this thick needs a bit more carbonation, some bitterness or some spicing to help balance things out, and I'm not getting any of that. Alcohol is present and sort of fruity...I'm not entirely sure it matches the profile for this beer. This may be one of the strangest pumpkin ales I've had, and if I was doing a blind tasting, I don't think that there is a chance that I would identify it as such.

O - Not a fan...it doesn't feel terribly well balanced, and the malt sweetness is too over the top for me. The fruity alcohol feels out of place, and it feels under carbonated.

ZeroSignal, Oct 11, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear orangish amber color with just under a finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Mild sweet malt, hints of fruit, perhaps grape. There is a smell in the background that reminds me of white wine. A bit weird.

Taste: There is a tiny bit of pumpkin flavor here, but not very much. There is some malt and the white wine tartness that was in the smell. The finish is mildly hoppy and tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a high amount of smooth carbonation. The finish is mildly slick.

Overall: This is a weird beer in general. There is a tartness that clashes with everything else. Not really picking up much pumpkin or spice. I wouldn't have another.

oline73, Oct 31, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -35.8%

A- This beer has an amber hue and ok head retention.
S - Well it smells like a fresh cut pumpkin an some alcohol
T - Hmmm...Well this beer is very strange. The initial taste is of a raw pumpkin. And then the alcohol hits you.
M - this beer feels good in your mouth. This is one of the positives of this beer.
D - TBD. I am going to try this one at least one more time. Maybe I got a bad one. I hope I got a bad one for their sake. I like shipyard beers too.

oddfire, Aug 14, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -33.7%

Knaglich, Aug 25, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

BubalooBrewMaster, Dec 26, 2013
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.