Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Casey10 on 08-31-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) Alström Bros
Reviews: 465 | Hads: 1,575
2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

Thanks to BA yelterdow for this gift.

Being an Imperial Pumpkin, this one was served from its 22oz bottle into a snifter at just below cellar temperature.

A - Crystal clear orange with vibrant coppery highlights. With a bit of a vigorous pour, a cream-colored head pushes up to about an inch, and makes a hasty retreat to a floating gossamer web. No head retention and no lacing to speak of.

S - Bright, honeyed maltiness with some apple-cidery undertones. Evanescent graham-cracker, sugar-coated cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Also a strange artificial tinge of candied ginger.

T - Begins with a sweetness that's more candied-ginger sugary than malty, shifting to a strange collaboration of cinnamon schnapps and clove dust. The same chemicalesque Band-Aid demon that plagues regular Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale rears it's head at this point. Massive doses of cinnamon spiciness and ginger completely overpower any subtle pumpkin or squash flavors that may be lingering somewhere beneath. The finish is moderately dry and medicinal.

M - Thin and watery going in , but becoming decently fluffy. Swallow is not as rich as the flavors might have one think, and tends to be a bit gassy.

D - I've had many many Pumpkin Ales and consider myself to quite knowledgeable in this style. While this particular offering is beautifully packaged, and although it sits head and tails above the regular (terrible) Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, it is still only mediocre at best -- failing to capture the essence of the mildly-flavored pumpkin as the main ingredient and focal point, and instead bombing the palate with a heavy handed use of the usual bevvy of spices and a whole bunch of alcohol. No disrespect to Adam Pugsley and his craft, but in the chess-game of Imperial Pumpkin Ales, this one is merely a subjugate pawn to Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin King.

2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a SA Perfect Pint

A - Slightly hazy yellow-orange pour with a decent white head; minimal retention and a loose lace.

S - Carries a thick, malty sweet smell with a caramel edge and a hint of alcohol. Any sort of spicing seems completely lost on me...so I'm assuming that it's just not there, and that this is supposed to be on the meaty pumpkin end of the spectrum.

T&M - Heavier bodied and rather thick feeling. Loads of malt give this an almost cloying sweetness. I feel like something this thick needs a bit more carbonation, some bitterness or some spicing to help balance things out, and I'm not getting any of that. Alcohol is present and sort of fruity...I'm not entirely sure it matches the profile for this beer. This may be one of the strangest pumpkin ales I've had, and if I was doing a blind tasting, I don't think that there is a chance that I would identify it as such.

O - Not a fan...it doesn't feel terribly well balanced, and the malt sweetness is too over the top for me. The fruity alcohol feels out of place, and it feels under carbonated.

2.44/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear orangish amber color with just under a finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Mild sweet malt, hints of fruit, perhaps grape. There is a smell in the background that reminds me of white wine. A bit weird.

Taste: There is a tiny bit of pumpkin flavor here, but not very much. There is some malt and the white wine tartness that was in the smell. The finish is mildly hoppy and tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a high amount of smooth carbonation. The finish is mildly slick.

Overall: This is a weird beer in general. There is a tartness that clashes with everything else. Not really picking up much pumpkin or spice. I wouldn't have another.

2.46/5  rDev -33%

A- This beer has an amber hue and ok head retention.
S - Well it smells like a fresh cut pumpkin an some alcohol
T - Hmmm...Well this beer is very strange. The initial taste is of a raw pumpkin. And then the alcohol hits you.
M - this beer feels good in your mouth. This is one of the positives of this beer.
D - TBD. I am going to try this one at least one more time. Maybe I got a bad one. I hope I got a bad one for their sake. I like shipyard beers too.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a lightly hazed orange color. Some white froth and lacing.

(S)- A light; almost airy caramel in front of a really subdued pumpkin spice. Almost has a cornmeal thing to it too.

(T)- A bit high in the hop department; a sharp citrus twang up front that kinda gets the pumpkin and spice lost.

(M)- A good carbonation level. An ok balance, but just way too much hops in the way of what probably would have been nice pumpkin and spice notes.

(O)- A decent beer for the style, but it gets lost with the high (way too high) hop addition.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

The pour: clear, no head retention if there is very little
The presentation: copper clear highly filtered aromas on the nose some pumpkin, mostly natural added flavouring for that pumpkin punch

The mouth feel is quite good. I'm tasting pumpkin. But there is something else. There is a somewhat "metal" aftertaste

Somewhat boozy and warm

The low score is for the metal aftertaste

Overall. Not a bad pumpkin ale . In my opinion leave out the natural flavour and put more pumpkin in.

Was the brewed in a copper pot? I'm thinking that is the metal taste I'm tasting.

It may be just me.

2.51/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very deep Amber. The spices were evident immediately but way to much. It smelted like cinnamon ginger and allspice. Just very overpowering. I forgot there was a beer underneath that nose. The taste was again spice dominating and not particularly well balance do. As it warmed it got a little less messy but something just tasted off. The hops were not evident and the malt character was not really there.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%

The first, crisp night in a long time. My wife just re-decorated the house for autumn. Great time to bust out a pumpkin ale.

A: Orange with amber hues. Strong carbonation. Nice, one-inch head at first, but dies fast. Looks pretty good.

S: Strong cinnamon aroma with some spice. Really not a whole lot beyond that.

T: Very strong cinnamon taste. Kind of like cinnamon candy instead of the real thing. I get some other spice, maybe some nutmeg too, but nothing overpowers the cinnamon. After that the beer has an odd tartness to it. Something that would be good in a Belgian Pale ale or something, but doesn't seem to fit here. No real pumpkin flavors, just tons of spice.

M: Light to medium bodied. Acidic. Strongly carbonated. Ok I guess, but I was expecting more body from a big beer like this.

D: Definitely not my favorite pumpkin beer. Way too much cinnamon for me. This is my real problem with pumpkin ales. Most brewers go over the top with spices. At least this isn't a syrupy mess like some. I'll pass if I see this again. So far Pumking reigns supreme in the pumpkin ale category for me.

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Another hooplah-surrounded pumpkin beer, so you know I've gotta try it. You know me so well... It pours a clear copper topped by a finger of off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises brown sugar, toasted caramel, clove, vanilla, white bread, and a strange whiff of menthol-like alcohol bubbling up from the bottom. This last part really keeps me from enjoying the smell. The taste follows pretty closely, though there is definitely some pumpkin going on in there now, and, unfortunately, the alcohol now resembles strident rubber cement. Wow, not sure what that is, but it is just awful. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly slick feel. Overall, either something ain't right here, or this beer is just plain bad. Either way, I did not enjoy myself here...

2.59/5  rDev -29.4%

Looks like a pumpkin beer; thick, white head up top with solid retention and soapy lace. Velvety pumpkin clashes with the unpleasantly sharp malt mixture in the nose. Some spices here too, but it's just not good IMO.

Taste is much different than I expected from the nose, but not in a good way. Artificial pumpkin & cloves start things off before the malts stampede forward with their cloying sweetness. Strangely enough, this recedes as quickly as it arrived, leaving an unpleasantly bitter taste in my mouth that lingers. Finishes dry for sure; not sure how that happened.

Good body, though, with an appropriate level of carbonation. So there's that.

All in all, this beer is a clusterfuck of extremes that don't work well together at all. Shipyard's next destination should be the drawing board.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a 1 inch foamy off-white head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of pumpkin pie spices, some malty aromas, and a slight sour scent. I am also getting some apple juice smells. Taste is extremely strong on the spices with some slight malt and pumpkin flavors. The spice level is very bitter and is too much for me. This pretty much ruins the beer in my opinion. The beer is also super carbonated, so this is like drinking a glass of soda water with spices dumped in it. Overall, this is a pretty bad beer that is just way overdone with the bitter spices.

2.67/5  rDev -27.2%

A: Clear filtered copper hue, head that dissipates immediately leaving you with a beer that looks like an orange apple juice.

S: Lots of pumpkin and nutmeg

T: Over the top, to much up front pumpkin, that doesn't really taste like real pumpkin. Not fan of the wheat malt in this style either.

M: good carbonation, medium bodied.

D: just to rich in pumpkin flavor and spices to go down easily. This was rather disappointing of a brew. But then again, a pumpkin ale doesn't have much buisness being imperialized, and this is a good example as to why.

2.67/5  rDev -27.2%

Comes in a bomber with a fancy gold wrapper around the neck, and pours a dark reddish orange with a head that quickly fades. The smell is spicy and sweet. Rhe taste is way spicey, I think I taste peppermint or cinamon, unfortunaley not so much the pumpkin spice I was hoping for. The sweet spice is so overpowering on this one that I think it could be an X-mas beer rather than a fall pumpkin.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

On tap at burger. in Santa Cruz. Pours a tangerine gold with a wimpy white head. Smells and tastes like dirty cinnamon. Some brown sugar sweetness and vague pumpkin-ness. Tart and slightly acidic, over-spiced especially nutmeg and cinnamon, sweetish, dirty mineral finish. Just what you’d expect from Shipyard.

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass.

Appearance: Orange, clear, pours about a finger of thick white head that quickly fades. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Hint of nutmeg, vanilla, orange creamsickle, boozy.

Taste: hint of cinnamon, vanilla and orange creamsickle, boozy as it warms.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, crist, bubbly.

Overall: This bottle tasted absolutely nothing like the ones that I had last year. I did not detect a hint of the pumpkin spice aroma or taste that I'd come to expect. Had a distinctive orange creamsickle aroma/taste to it. Not bad, but something was definitely off.

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Split with Jwiss22, one of my favorite fall seasonal beers are definitely pumpkin beers. I will try as many as I can each year and I love how every brewery has there own way of brewing one, some good, some great, some bad, some awful. Let's see where this one goes.

A- So far it looks like every other traditional pumpkin ale, it has a copperish, brown hue with a very thin white head. A subtle hint of yellow that glows faintly from the glass. A moderate amount of carbonation with a slow stream of bubbles dissipates the head very quickly. Seems like it is ready to drink.

S- Right away I realize that I am in for an experience, a bad one. Right away I am smacked in the nose in a bad way. This smells like canned pumpkin with artificial flavoring or cheap spices. The nutmeg and cinnamon are not blended well and are very difficult to pick up. Smells more of burnt crust and burnt brown sugar. It really does not smell like a pumpkin beer should and I am kind of let down because I really enjoy the smell of fresh, real pumpkins.

T- Now for what I hope is the fun part, or wait correct that not so fun part, it is a mess of cinnamon, nutmeg, burnt pie crust and canned pumpkin spice. It really is not enjoyable I am thinking of dumping, but I rarely do, let's see if it gets better as it warms....and it doesn't really a let down, it's messy all over the place and not what I was expecting. There are much better tasting examples of the style. This one really missed the mark.

M- This is the best part of the whole experience, it has a good amount of carbonation that lingers on the tongue and refreshes you. If the taste was better I would want to hold it in my mouth longer, since it really is a pleasant tingle of carbonation and a light syrupy feeling.

D- The high abv allows for a nice warming feeling that is great for chilly nights in the fall, but the taste and smell kill this one for me. The alcohol is well hidden and if you could get past the smell and taste a few could be drank since it has such nice carbonation and smoothness, but it's not for me a very poor representation of a fun style.

Will not be seeking out again next season unless Shipyard steps it up.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Harpoon tulip

A - very fine off white head generates lots of tight lacing and clings to the glass. Burns off slowly leaving a thin cap. Color is pumpkin orange with some chill haze. Little streams of active bubbles evident.

S - Pumpkin primarily, with lots of spices, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice, and a distinct alcohol presence underneath. A slight cereal malt note makes its way in too.

T - Here is where it all fell apart. The first taste is sweet pumpkin pie but very quickly there's an overwhelming flavor of raw pumpkin rind. Vegetable, dirt, and rotten squash. After that finally dissipates you are left with a finish that is bitter and noticeably alcoholic.

M - quite nice actually, the tingly carbonation fights the sticky sweet mouthfeel

O - I really wanted to like this beer. The regular Shipyard pumpkin is one of my favorites of the style, but this disappointed. I tried sip after sip to see if it would grow on me or mellow out as it warmed, but I could not get over that vegetal, raw, rind flavor.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

A - Pours orange with a one finger head. Quickly dissipates to almost nothing.

S - Sour pumpkin and cinnamon take up the majority of the aroma. Ginger notes in the background as well.

T - Light flavor at first, slightly sweet. On the swallow heavy cinnamon and pumpkin shows. The sour flavor shows up as well and persists through the aftertaste.

M - Light body and carbonation.

O - Better than their Pumpkinhead, but I am still not a fan. The sour flavor that I despised in the other beer shows up in this one as well, though not as heavy. Still drinkable, but needs much improvement when there are so many better alternatives.

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

Bomber at 40 degrees into snifter; allowed to warm up to around 50 degrees
Aroma of nutmeg
Head average (2.5 cm), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to 3 mm broken layer
Lacing poor – few very small islands of tiny bubbles
Body light orange, chill haze which dissipates as the brew warms
Flavor is initially of nutmeg which fades to a sour vegetable earthy funk; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, slightly oily, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 2.75, Flavor 2.75, Palate 3, Overall 2.875. Final weighted score: 2.8125
Pretty much a one-trick pony – smells and tastes like nutmeg. The vegetableness (actually a fruit) of the pumpkin hides behind the spice. The 9% ABV is well hidden, the appearance is unremarkable. Some will rave, but this is just not an outstanding pumpkin ale.

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%

look -hazy copper with 2 fingers of white head worth light carbonation and lacing.

smell-cinnamon and ginger and strong alcohol

Taste-some spices of nutmeg, , ginger and brown sugar with a dry bitterness at the end. the warmer it got the better it tasted.

feel -is medium

I again as with many of these Pumpkin beers get very little of a pumpkin taste and instead get a strong hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Sorry but if I purchase a Pumpkin beer well then that's what I expect. The warmer this beer got the better it taste but it still was leaving my mouth very dry and just unsatisfied. letter grad would be a D+

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%

Beer poured from bottle into a Tulip shaped glass

A - Small white head formed after beer pour; dissipated rather quickly; some visible carbonation to go with the clear golden/pumpkin colored body

S - Smells like San Pellegrino Bitter aperitif beverage; light, frizzy and slightly club soda ish with a touch of pumpkin

T - Tastes like pumpkin pie; way more explosive taste than smell; probably the best imbalance of smell and taste I've experienced thus far; cinnamon; slight soapy taste; citrus; nutmeg at the start of the sip and washes away very quickly

M - Slightly effervescent; pumpkin pie aftertaste; not much else to report

D - Alright beer; could have used more nose to entice my senses; I actually got real excited about this beer and was let down after taking a deep-deep whiff of nothing; way more taste than scent to this beer

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

Twist-off... weird.

Pale copper color, nearly nonexistant head. Relatively still.

The aroma screams apple cider, subtle spice.

Nice flavor. Spice and malt nicely balanced. Cinnamon is reminiscent of apple cider. Slight alcohol taste gives some warmth. Highly vegetal.

Nice, heavy-bodied mouthfeel to support the substantial gravity. Smooth. I like it.

I'm not wild about the cider stuff going on here. But, I'm glad I bought this beer, even though it was $8.99 for one bottle... This may be the 9% ABV talking here.

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%

4 oz. sample poured on draft. Pours a light amber hue. Nose is very subdued. Nearly nonexistent. The taste is weird. I feel like I'm drinking the syrup from a jar of maraschino cherries. WTF. Strangely enough, this is one of very few pumkin beers where I can taste...PUMPKIN. That's nice. The mouthfeel is very thin and sweet. That cherry taste persists throughout. Overall this is just a strange beer. Don't know what they were going for here.

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Grade: C

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a frosted Sam Adams Oktoberfest Mug
Temperature: Cellar Temperature

Pour: Pours smooth with light carbonation. Small foamy head builds as the bottle empties. 1 finger of white foamy head.

Smell: Scent of nutmeg is the first and most obvious. There is a strong hint of Pumpkin, but it is would not be obvious if this wasn't listed as a pumpkin ale. Some notes of vanilla and caramel as well.

Taste: Starts with a spicey pumpkin taste. Like a pumpkin pie from the can that has more allspice than it should. As the mug goes down, the flavor mellow and eases into a more malty rich pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel: The pour would lead one to believe this beer may have some body, but the mouthfeel was flat and not really present other than a flat coating of spices that feel like they leave a sort of coating.

Drinkability: This is a strong ale that really doesn't excite. I am a big fan of pumpkin anything, adn I have to say this beer is just boring. have one for the novelty and move on.

I am disappointed with this beer. Shipyard has made some very decent beers, adn the Pugsley's Barley Wine was truly enjoyable. Sadly, I have to gice this beer a lower grade than I want.

2.92/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a hazy copper color with a small finger sized white head.

Aroma is light pumpkin, light citrus mainly lime like, along with some underlying spice that is on the subdued side compared to most pumpkins.

Taste is malty pumpkin, some lightly bitter lime notes, spice notes are bigger in the flavor then they were in the nose. Usual pumpkin spice along with hints of pepper. Not really feeling this as much as most pumpkins.

Mouthfeel is medium with lightly peppy carbonation.

Overall not digging this beer, much better choices if your looking for a pumpkin in my humble opinion.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.