Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

good

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Casey10 on 08-31-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

Was really excited when this came into my liquor store. I am a huge fan of pumkin beers so this was a must try.

A- Poured out into a snifter glass that had a really nice orange color with a medium foam head with mild carbonation.

S- Had a very sweet smell, nutmeg as well as cinnamin.

T- I was not a huge fan of the taste, it was a very sweet but at the same time sour. The flavor was a bit off to me.

M- Had decent drinkability, a mild bit with a sour finish. Smooth flow as well.

Overall, I was a bit dissapointed maybe this was a different style than I was normally used to with a pumkin beer but I'll try another and see if it grows on me.

yankeej13, Aug 21, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: It poured a dark honey, orange color with a faint white head.

Smell: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.

Taste: Starts out sweet, but finishes with a mix of pumpkin and spices. The cinnamon and nutmeg are very apparent, more so than the pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Not too much in the way of carbination. A full body with an enjoyable alcohol finish.

I'm a pumpkin freak so this beer has been a seasonal favorite of mine for years. This year, though, I felt it really hit the mark. There was just enough pumpkin and spices to remind me of autumn, but without being too sweet or over spiced. I'll probably pick up a few more bottles of this pumpkin gem.

Zapp, Aug 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A- a light copper orange with a one inch white head and little lace.

S- bready and spicy, cloves, cinniman, nutmeg, pumpkin, ginger, yeast. This smells just like a pie on Thanksgiving.

T- pie crust tags along with the spices mentioned before. A little too sweet, but still quite tasty. This beer is basically pie in a glass.

O- Pumpkin beers rock, especially imperial ones like this.

Tschnab, Aug 19, 2011
4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

I always get excited this time of year when the Pumpkin beers arrive. Two years ago, I loved Shipyard Pumpkins, however last year I thought it was a bit too light and not enough pumpkin and spice flavor.

Now THIS YEAR! The pour was fine, nothing to get excited about. But the moment I put the glass up to my nose, the excitement began! The pumpkin and spices almost jumped out of the glass right into my nose.

That first taste. If I had closed my eyes, I would think someone had just cut a fresh piece of pumpkin pie and put it in my mouth.
This year, this Smashed Pumpkin had it all.
Bouquet and Aroma
Pumpkin and Spices
Right amount of Malt and gentle but present hops
This beer was totally balanced. The first sip was a total joy, with all the right flavors exploding all over my tongue and mouth. Then the end was just as good as the start.
And to me, that means balance and it means GOOD to me

Second tasting: August 18, 2012

This is the second year that I have tasted Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.
This year, the beer had a bodly aroma and bouquet. Once the bottle was opened, you could smell and feel the spices The allspice, cinnamon, clove, pumpkin spices, coriander and so much more

With the first sip, I was taken back. . WAY TOO MUCH in terms of spices... BUT then slowly, the second sip was better and so on and so on. For a while, I didnt think I was drinking beer, but instead have a dessert wine to go with Pumpkin pie.!

A fun b

rdilauro, Aug 19, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 22oz. btl into Duvel tulip at 50-55 degrees. Pours a beautiful bright, pumpkin orange with a one finger white head. A little retention and slight lacing.

Aromas of clove and cinnamon dominate with a nice under current of pumpkin rind and graham cracker, and just a touch of cream.

The spice notes promised on the nose follow through strongly with the graham cracker pie crust showing up as well. The only thing missing a strong presence is the pumpkin. It's more like having just the pumpkin pie crust rather than the whole pie.

The pumpkin does make an appearance on the finish and the mouthfeel is gorgeous. I would've rated this beer higher had there been a lil less spice and a lil more pumpkin. On the whole a very enjoyable offering from Shipyard, though.

JCellars, Aug 11, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.1%

On tap at Sunset Grill, the "cellar-aged" version, lol.

A- A perfectly clear Halloween orange hue in a tulip glass. A small white silky head sits atop the beer and leaves spotty lace as I sip on it.

S- Massive cinnamon and ginger bomb, very strong spice aroma. Toasted nuts, nutmeg and some pumpkin.

T- Once again, a huge amount of cinnamon, nutmeg and spice notes, burning the palate. Also some pie crust, sugar, pumpkin and oxidized caramel malt. Pretty sweet overall.

MF- Highly carbonated creamy moderate body. Some alcohol warming and bitterness.

Tastes like a pumpkin dessert with way too much cinnamon and spices. Nice aroma but flavored too strongly.

cbutova, Aug 06, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

A: pours a nice clear orange pumpkin color with minimal head and a collar of white foam that sticks around. Some lacing.

S: nose features heavy all spice, cinnamon, and vegetable like pumpkin notes. The spice dominates the profile.

T: starts off a bit malty and sweet, this becomes slightly boozy in the middle and turns into all pumpkin spice on the finish. The pumpkin spices do a good job of balancing out the sweetness, but the booziness leaves a little burn on the palate.

MF: appears very light bodied, but it is actually and little fuller when in the mouth. Carbonation is medium to high.

O: this pumpkin ale features everything you would expect in the style. My only complaint is that it is a little on the sweet/boozy side.

homebrew311, Aug 06, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

As the duty CANtrarian and having been to several "Christmas In July" events in the past few weeks, it occurs to me to embrace my two favorite holidays, Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving and bump Christmas!

From the bottle: "SMASHED PUMPKIN is a big-bodied beer with a light coppery orange color and pleasing aroma of pumpkin and nutmeg. The OG and final Alc./Vol. provide the structure and body. Pale Ale, Wheat and Light Munich Malts combine with the natural tannin in pumpkin and the delicate spiciness of Willamette and Hallertau Hops to balance the sweetness of the fruit. To fully enjoy all the flavours, this ale is best drunk at 55 degrees Farenheit. Smashed Pumpkin pairs well with sharp cheeses, nuts, lamb, hearty stews and desserts like flan or pumpkin pie. Chefs find this an excellent beer to cook with in dishes such as braised short ribs. Try adding a little Shipyard Blue Fin Stout to Smashed Pumpkin for a fall warmer."

I went with a more delicate pour than usual as I was unsure as to the amount of lees present. I got a finger of tawny head that fell pretty quickly. Color was a coppery orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles. BUPGOO! Nose had taken on a clove-tobacco quality in the interim and I began to debate donning a black beret for the occasion. Mouthfeel was thick and full on the tongue and combined with the clove/nutmeg/allspice flavors, it was like drinking liquid pumpkin pie! I must remember to get some more this year. I was worried that it had gone over like many of the pumpkin ales in my cellar, but this was phenomenal! Finish was (literally) breathtaking with regard to its spiciness. I may carve a pumpkin tonight in this beer's honor, providing I can find such a gourd. Hauntingly ghoulicious. Say, is that a black cat at my back door? Here, kitty, kitty ...

woodychandler, Jul 26, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

A far better beer than their normal pumpkin ale. This beer has a good color of deep amber with a solid white looking head on it. The smell is much spicier than the regular pumpkin brew. The taste has some complexity to it with some sweet vanilla and autumn spices upfront that fade into a mild pumpkin flavor in the end. The mouthfeel is probably twice as heavy as the other brew leaving a good coating in the mouth. Overall, I'd say don't even waste your time with Shipyards other Pumpkin beer, Just ask for this one or keep your eyes peeled for it. You'll be far more impressed with this one, it's almost hard to believe that they're from the same company.

Knapp85, Jul 06, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

First off, I seriously doubted that i could ever find a decent Pumpkin Ale. I Always finished a pint disappointed. The idea of having a beer made of Pumpkins is inventive and brings memories to some, of childhood and Halloween or thanksgiving. Unfortunately I've always had something tasting closer to a Pumpkin malt liquor or worse a Pumpkin soda then a beer. Fortunately I found Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin.

Poured from a 22oz bomber ABV 9%, never have I seen a Pumpkin beer boasting that high of a ABV. They always intend these as session beers for the holidays one of the reasons why i never think they do well.

A-Copper color with a orange hue, head dissipates but remains about a quarter finger. Pretty disent in appearance, rather slow responding carbonation but then again i poured this at a 60 degree temp, they recommend 55.

Smell- Finally, a complex, deep and well festive concoction. Very on point to what these beers should smell like, nothing artificial here. Smells like a well crafted complex brew. Upfront right away is not what you expect, Cinnamon! hot peppered candy cinnamon. Then the pumpkin presents itself, strait out of what seems like a hot oven. Ginger, deep rummy molasses. Smells very warming almost like a hot steaming Pumpkin pie to hot to cut into. Very inviting. Great malt sweetness and pumpkin come through well.

Taste- like eating warm alcohol soaked pumpkin pie crust. Don’t let me stray you away from this beer, it is very much a beer and taste like one. Warming spice infused with the high ABV just relaxes you and gears you up for the holidays. It really warms you up. Tastes of Cinnamon, ginger, all spice, rum and well more unsweetened baked pumpkin. Must be the malts they use but it resembles to me sweet pie crust. Delicious!

Mouthful/D/O- coats your mouth well, the pumpkin ale flavor lingers and dissipates just in time for you to want to take another sip. Leaving this beer fairly drinkable and tade bit dangerous for being a high ABV at 9%. Really though thanksgiving and Halloween isn’t that what you want!? Anyways great stuff, truly the only Pumpkin beer I've ever been impressed by. Go out and buy it today if you can.

beerman21, Jun 28, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a very clear amber/Orange with a bubbly off-white Head, has some Bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Some light lacing, aromas of the actual pumpkin with some nutmeg and other spices. I really liked this Pumpkin Ale, reminded me of Southern Tiers Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I would say top 3 or 4 favorite pumpkin Ales. This also had about 9 months on it, so The 9% helped keep it preserved perfectly.

beergod1, Jun 22, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

22oz brown bottle. Served in a Chimay goblet.
It pours an oily, orange-hued amber color with a beige head along with some wisps of trailing lacing.
A strong and delightful whiff of rum-soaked pumpkin pie rises at first pour. I think I can actually smell the crust! The nutmeg spiciness is subdued, but thoughts of Thanksgiving dessert floods my senses. A solid malty smell mingles with some spicy and citrusy hops. Dark rum in the nose never fades.
The flavors are bold and upfront. Very little in the way of subtleties. Big spiced pumpkin taste, Big Doughy Maltiness, Big Ruminess, and not so big, yet noticable hoppiness.
SO much better than Shipyard's other Pumpkin Ale, and not because it's much bigger. It's big but balanced and wonderfully rich and decadent.
Let's see how it ages...

BeerResearcher, Jun 19, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

22oz brown foiled topped bomber with no freshness date.

Clear orange amber hue, lacing a great ... sticks all the way down. Smells of pumpkin pie with some alcohol drizzled on it, very pleasing as that is what I was hoping for. Pumpkin pie in a bottle, not over spiced and all the spices are there rather than one being too much forward. Sweetness up front, toasted malt in the back. Alcohol is mellow and compliments / warms. Modest hopping ends up just helping to balance. Spicy finish that stays a tad sweet.

More proof that pumpkin ales need to be massive, or at least that is what I prefer. Good drinking for the holiday or I would even think it is possible to cellar a bottle and perhaps cook with it as well.

Jason, Jun 14, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +31%

By far, the best pumpkin beer I have ever tasted. Most pumpkin beers in my opinion are overly skewed towards just the pumpkin spice side - not enough pumpkin. Smashed Pumpkin had a wonderfully strong balance of both - pumpkin fruit and subtle pumpkin spice. The beer was not sweet. There is no bitter note on this beer - the finish is still all pumpkin. I can't emphasize enough, this is the closest pumpkin beer I've found to be like a slice of (unsweetened) pumpkin pie.

Full bodied, dark-dark amber, a bit hazy. While it's full bodied - it does not taste like it's a 9% beer...very easy drinking.

sybilyang, Jun 06, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

from notes

Poured out the lightest of the three with a hazy orange tinted amber color and a nice soft off white head that reached a height of around an inch or so before it settled down with some nice lacing on the side that really just surprised me with how well it hung in there to be honest. Really quite the solid look. Nice aroma of pumpkin spice, hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, all the usual characters here with a touch of a west coast hop flair to it, especially as it warms. Crisp and super clean flavor here. Starts with a touch of a light malt note and then swoops in with a big hit of cinnamon and nutmeg which dries out the palate very nicely. Very even consistency I have to admit as it comes together very nice. Light drying of palate leaves a touch of light spice and the lightest hint of hops on the back of the tongue.

mikesgroove, May 23, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear pale copper, this has a medium pale tan head steadily shrinking.

Aroma is gentle pumpkin pie, caramelized and lightly toasted grain, caramelized golden raisin, light whole wheat toast.

Taste is light caramelized pumpkin up front with raisiny grain maltiness, some pumpkin-pie spice, raisiny alcoholic spiciness, light spicy bitterness – faintly herbal. It has some good yeasty toasted grain in the finish and aftertaste. Overall, this is pretty good and one of the better pumpkin beers.

Offa, Apr 29, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

A - A copper orange color, with a white head. Nice lacing left behind. Head stuck around for a good bit too.

S - The smell of a gram cracker/ pie crust over powered almost everything. Very light hints of spices.

T - A malt taste. Some hints of the spices, although I could not really taste them. I did get hints of pumpkin too, but nothing really stood out. (Perhaps a bit old of a bottle since it is march..)

M - Smooth, on the watery side though. No hoppy hints really stand out.

D - Very drinkable, goes down easy. Although its 9.0% does sneak up on you. I would track it down again when it comes time for the pumpkin brews.

blackcrow911, Mar 23, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

Thanks to Jesse13713 for sharing this one with me; I assume this is 2010 vintage; couldn't find a best enjoyed before date on this one, possibly because it's a bomber.

A: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with three fingers of foamy off-white head topping off the glass. A great color for a pumpkin ale, and with good lacing to boot.

S: Pumpkin and spices (nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon) right off the bat; not picking up much malt or hops, but a good smell for a pumpkin ale; this one brings me back to fall, especially with the abnormally warm weather NE Ohio is having at the moment.

T: Big pumpkin flavor upfront; I'm surprised it has held up so well since the Autumn/Halloween season. Tons of spices once again- tastes like pumpkin pie in liquid form. Long, lingering, sweet and spicy finish- even if the taste in particular isn't my favorite, I'm loving the spices here (in March, it's a rarity to have this kind of beer, and it's bringing me nostalgia from October seasons of past).

M: Medium-bodied with light/moderate carbonation- I'm picking up a lot of heat from ethanol here, even if it didn't show up in the flavor due to being outbalanced by spices.

O: Not the best pumpkin beer, though I do welcome it at this time of year. Near the end of my glass, it's tougher to finish than at the beginning, but I'm still enjoying it. Certainly worth a try, whether it's the season for pumpkin beers or simply to serve as a reminder of that great time of year.

AwYeh, Mar 18, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance - A surprisingly red and orange vibrancy to to it. Fits the perfect description of a pumpkin ale. Quite a nice full three fingers of head with phenomenal lacing.

Smell - Smells of light and slightly sour squash and pumpkin. Light hints of nutmeg and cinnamon spices. Slightly sugary and smells like pumpkin pie.

Taste - Tastes like pumpkin pie. Very heavy on the spices and nutmeg. While the spices are very heavy; it makes me reminisce of the fall and I long for more pumpkin beers. Heavy notes of pumpkin.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - While the spices can be overwhelming at times; I feel as if they are very well balanced for the most part. I get a sort of sickening spice taste that quickly smooths out to a delicious onslaught of pumpkin and gourds. Overall a little too sweet for my tastes.

Jesse13713, Mar 18, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Reviewed on 1-24-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured two fingers of foam, nice lacing ring, clear copper orange color, carbonation is present

S - Malt with hints of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon

T/M - Medium bodied brew. Nice clear malty taste. Not a lot of hops in this brew. Pumpkin spices with nutmeg and cinnamon are the most pronounced

D - Very drinkable pumpkin ale. Not over the top in the spice department, well balanced. Very enjoyable brew to have again, I would seek this brew out again and also recommend this brew if you are into Pumpkin brews

FreshmanPour77, Mar 01, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

Poured a medium copper/orange with a large creamy off white head that was fully lasting and had excellent lacing. The aroma was mild of caramel malts and a sweet doughy yeast with notes of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. It tasted sweet with a slight alcohol flavor at first then matured to a sweet and creamy flavor with strong hints of nutmeg, pumpkin and cinnamon with a slight alcohol aftertaste that stayed wit you a nice long while. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and creamy in texture with a flat carbonation. Overall a nice tasting pumpkin ale.

KajII, Mar 01, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

A light yellow copper color, clear with a modest white fuzz on top and good lacing. The aroma is kind of different with cotton candy sweetness, berry overtones with honey and mild pumpkin. The flavor offers less sweetness and more of a solid pumpkin and honey mix. Lot's of honey actually. It's medium bodied with fair carbonation with a tingly but vaguely syrupy feel. It's got a spicey nearly dry edge to it. Modest drinkability because of the feel. It's an odd bird and seems somewhat atypical of most. But well worth a try if you like the style at all.

Durge, Feb 26, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

It was poured from a bomber into a pint glass
The Appearance was a deep burnt orange
The Smell was of pumpkin spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, a little like a spiced wafer or pumpkin spice should smell, which is good for a pumpkin ale.
The taste was sweet, not to sweet or over powering like some pumpkin ales can get. It was a pretty good balance of spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, but a little aftertaste of alcohol with the 9% abv. usually it mixes well but there is a trace of it.
The mouthfeel has a good mic of carbonation and seems a bit medium bodied. So the drinkability is a good but can be bad at 9%! It goes down easy, try sipping it though or you will go threw these quickly since I feel it is a medium bodied and easy drinking.

stewfnrocker, Feb 14, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -51.1%

Review adapted from notes taken in October, 2009

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Orange and copper, decent head

Smell: Honestly smells like an undercooked pumpkin pie that someone tried to bake with an extra pound of sugar - not a good sign of things to come

Taste: Borderline awful - way too sweet, an indescribable amount of nutmeg - some hints of pumpkin, but it mostly just tastes like malty sugar water with some nutmeg and other spices

Mouthfeel: Poor - smooth, but so light that it creates the overall experience of drinking watered down cough syrup mixed with extra sugar

Overall: Drinkability? A bad taste with a relatively high ABV? Nope.

I honestly hope that I got a bad bottle. As I am currently converting my old notes into BA reviews, I am having flashbacks of drinking this beer. I remember it vividly because it was so poor. This is the worst pumpkin ale I have ever had, but on the bright side it created a benchmark that I can compare to other beers of the style.

angrybabboon, Feb 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

The look is a amber orange with a frothy white head

Spiced with cinn and nutmeg smells true not like other pumpkin pie beers that smell of potouri

Thr beer is malt and smooth to start, spices become apparent as the carbonation presents and finishes its smooth and very flavored but heavy but for a pumpkin beer one of the best

bishopdc0, Jan 30, 2011
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.