Shipyard Double Old Thumper Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Double Old Thumper AleShipyard Double Old Thumper Ale

good

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

English Barleywine |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: chrisgn on 02-02-2011

Ratings: 228 | Reviews: 104
1.78/5  rDev -49.7%

I saw the reviews and gave this a shot. I'm sorry but it tasted like someone mixed 50% beer and 50% vodka. All I could smell and taste was alcohol. I rarely pour a beer down the drain but that's where this one went. Perhaps I got a bad bottle? The balance was not there at all. With all that alcohol this needed more malt and hop flavors for balance. Instead it was like taking a shot of booze. Based on the good reviews I'll try this one more time and if it's better I'll update my review.

Surprisingly the mouthfeel was not bad at all. It would have been a 4.5 or 5.0 if it wasn't for the slightly excessive alcohol heat. The appearance was great. Nice caramel color and very clear.

1.91/5  rDev -46%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a nice brownish copper color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is surprisingly faint considering the high ABV. The aroma is sweet bready malt and caramel but not much else.

T- The taste is sweet and malty up front with some bitterness from the hops and a lot of boozy alcohol in the finish. The finish is harsh and overpowers any flavors that may be present in this beer. Not a fan at all of the taste.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this beer. It will be difficult to drink this entire bottle without dumping some down the drain.

1.94/5  rDev -45.2%

What the hell is this? Based on the reviews, I expected a fruity, buttery toasty treat. But what I got, what I got was something else.

The appearance in pretty nice, a deep amber with a cream colored head. Nice head retention and lacing.

The smell is somewhat fruity and buttery, but it has this stale, day old open beer smell. Kinda gross.

At first, the taste almost made me gag, and slowly began to make my brain wince into a mild headache. The staleness is there, but worse, and the bitterness is astringent and just nasty. The butter and fruit are sort of there, but I am just getting the weirdest noxious flavor from this. Ick. Not as bad as it warms, but still, not enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick, average for a big beer.

Drinkabilty is piss poor.

2.04/5  rDev -42.4%

Reading about this one on a Beer Advocate forum, I was very excited to try it. I got the opportunity when I saw it on the shelf at BevMo in San Diego. Wow! To be completely honest, this beer was terrible. Aromas of sweet malt, butter and alcohol. Similar on the palate, medium bodied and loaded with diacetyl. The alcohol kept me going on the bottle, but it wasnt fun.

2.27/5  rDev -35.9%

22 ounce bottle - Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep amber body with a foamy, creamyish, near-white head.

Smell: Fusel-scented aroma that, beyond the stinging wafts, are some hints of earthy hops and sugary malts.

Taste: Sweet sugary on the front edge, with a bit of buttery caramel, some toast, and some chocolate. Then some hot alcohol tones and the earthen, herbal hops and plenty of bitterness. Then, while some fruity esters (raisins, mostly) are making there way in, as well as a rebound of sweetness, a bolt of well vodka hits making for a hard, harsh, unclean finish. Lingering tongue-singing heat and bitterness. Guh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A ghastly brew that's downright hard to drink. Instead of a Double Thumper, I'd rather have had two Thumpers. I was a bit leery of this one once I saw the ABV listing, but thought to myself, "How bad could it be?" Pretty bad, apparently.

2.44/5  rDev -31.1%

It's been a while since I've had this brew, but I felt I should warn others. Unless you are a big fan of Old Thumper and want to meet his older meaner bi-polar brother, don't touch this stuff. I found it to be poorly balanced. I love strong hops and strong bodied beers, but from start to finish this beer comes across as ambitious yet, unkempt and not well thought out.
As a friend out it, "It's just too...double, and not enough thumper."

2.6/5  rDev -26.6%

Source/Serving: 22oz bottle,

S: Musty, earthy toffee, moderate alcohol, faint fruit (berries, grapes, and orange oil) and butter.

T: Intense cocoa-tinged toffee and caramel riding a wave of healthy bitterness thickly coat the palette. Fruity-boozy heavily toffee/caramel malt character shoots through the middle with balanced bitterness keeping any sweetness at bay. You can definitely tell this is loaded with alcohol, there is no mystery here, but its not at all solventy or 'off'. Just too strong for me. Finish is comes close to being crushingly bitter, slightly-reminiscent of strong coffee in feel but not flavor, however its not dry. Lingering toffee, alcohol burn, and slick, grassy oils. Carbonation is light and this is VERY full-bodied with a real stick-to-your-lips quality. Has qualities much like a young, bitter barleywine.

Notes: I'm rarely overpowered by a beer and love my big beers, but this one and its unrestrained boozy bitterness almost did me in. Unfortunately it wasn't particularly in a good way with a near nil drinkability and at $7.50/22oz.

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%

Bam, Bam, Bam, and more Bam! But not really much after that.

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle purchased by Mom and Dad in Maine, and given to me as a souvenir. Sorry mom and dad, but this one sucked.

Pours a clear weak-looking amber color, with a small half inch head and no lacing, really.

Smells like alcohol, with some leafy hops, and overly sweet malts.

This is one unbalanced and unpleasant barleywine. I can't really expect too much from Shipyard, though. Quite sugary in the malt department, a bit of burnt brown sugar, some stale tasting leafy hops, and heaps of booze. Ugh.

Medium bodied, sticky sweet syrupy gross mouthfeel. Low carbonation.

This one's pretty atrocious, honestly. Don't buy it.

2.69/5  rDev -24%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip. Appears a nice copper color, that when held to a light, looks almost like a sunset. There is a nice aggressive head here, that leaves some pretty good lacing. Looking at this beer, I was ready to be wowed.

The smell at first seems very much like an adjunct lager, and really turned me away. As it warmed, there was some decent scents that came out, and a little hops, but this was definitely too sweet smelling. The taste at first was absolutely awful. As my palate adjusted, things became better, but still wasn't impressed. This started out overly sweet, and continued that way throughout each sip, but right at the end, the beer slowly became overly bitter, without any real, good qualities behind it.

The mouthfeel was decent, but honestly seemed a little light bodied for the style. This was one of the better characteristics however. Overall, this is not something I enjoyed drinking, and I considered pouring it for a while. I was very disappointed in the brew, and most certainly will not purchase another...

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured into a snifter. Hazy golden amber in appearance. Good lacing but faint head. Aroma is of mainly yeast. Not impressive. Some citrus, some hops, but mainly yeast. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Taste is boozy and yeasty. There is some citrusy hops, some nuttiness. Yeast flavor just is overbearing. I had this on tap before the bottle and on tap it was a pretty good beer. From the bottle, it is almost a completely different brew.

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep maple red brown with a thick, firm, full and fluffy off white head. Really lovely to look at.

Nose is sweet citric red plums with that "wax shoe polish" yeast esters character. Assertive and fills your nose.

Mouthfeel is bold and rich but flavor profile is so bold that one can't really get to mouthfeel.

Flavors are as intense as I've tasted but not well integrated. Big and bold fruit and big and bold bitter but they are distinctive, not integrated. Starts off very sweet, sticky and malty and then quickly moves to a huge grapefruit oil and pine bitter.

Finish carries through with the pine bitter character. This could perhaps be a sipper but not all that appealing. Do not see with food.

3.04/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: tan in color, 1/4 inch head, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: toasted English malt

Taste: toasted English malt, caramel, light fruit

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy bodied, medium carbonation, sweet with slight bitterness

Overall: I like this style and this one is about average as to what I have had. Very malty, but nothing really jumps out like others I have had in the style. I will pass on this in the future.

3.06/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a ruddy amber with an off-white head that reduces to a 1/8" lid.

Has a fruity, malty aroma, with hints of grape, pear and grass. The smell is strong and has a decent amount of alcohol in it. It almost has the smell of a sweet, cheap grocery store wine.

Whoa, the alcohol taste is almost overwhelming. The taste of this shows every bit of it's 11.2%, and then some. The alcohol taste is so strong it borders on an isopropyl alcohol taste. Beyond the alcohol is a sweet bitter, with the beer ending sweet on the back of the tongue and bitter on the middle of the tongue. There is a smokey aftertaste that reflects the astringency of this beer.

Mouthfeel is harsh, full, and astringent. My mouth is starting to numb as I drink it - is that bad?

This beer is simply overwhelming. While I like big beers, this tastes like a beer cocktail. I'm halfway through this monster, and I'm not sure I'll be finishing it.

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Pours a clear amber color with a good sized head, fades at a slow rate and leaves a decent cap on top, bits of lacing along the glass.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with a light fruit aroma, picking up some booze in the aroma along with some off scent that I can't quite put my finger on.

Taste has quite the kick to it, can definitely tell this is 11.2%, sweet malt rules the taste with a large amount of bready/graininess, aftertaste has an earthy bitterness that helps slightly with the overall sweetness, the best thing about this beer is the soft carbonation lends a nice creaminess, quite sticky as well.

Not sure if Double Old Thumper is really any better than the regular version since I haven't really cared for either. If I'm picking up Shipyard, it's going to be Prelude.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

My nightcap beer, and the beer that made me make malt granola.

Reviewed from notes.

Appearance-Dark ruby red with a 2 finger tan head. Nice sticky lacing and pretty good retention.

Smell-Very very sweet. Theres gotta be tons of sugars in this brew. Lots of dark fruits, I get alot of cherry. Bitterness comes through as well, very awkward.

Taste-Best way to describe this is a Quad meets a Belgian IPA. Lots of dark fruits and cherry. Very hoppy and bitter. Bitterness not lingering like I thought it would. ALOT of booze in there, and it shows when you take your first and last sip. Booze really came out when it got close to room temp. Definitely a sipper.

Mouthfeel-Very hot and can get hard to drink. Rough on the tongue. Full bodied

Overall-This is not an everyday beer, and I don't want to drink more then maybe 8 oz at a time.(I couldn't finish the 11oz that I poured) A creative beer but not very drinkable.

3.15/5  rDev -11%

A 22oz bottle is split between two glasses, mine being an Old Thumper logo glass. Slightly translucent caramel colored liquid with a big yellowish head of bubbles and foam. Lots of clinging carbonation on the bottom of the glass and a few streams of tiny bubbles rising within. Swirling the glass leaves an oily slick with patchy foam.

Strong aroma has elements of British ale yeast, English hops and crystal sugars. Swirling the glass releases a wave of scents.

Alcohol and sugars are very apparent in the the flavor. Some bitterness in the finish, but its the alcohol and sweetness that lingers.

Full bodied, average carbonation. Lots of stickiness. The oily slick on the sides of the glass can be felt coating my mouth.

This is an average extreme beer from Shipyard. I don't enjoy it as much as Smashed Pumpkin or some members of Pugsley's Signature Series. Double Thumper won't replace regular Old Thumper for me, especially when its on cask at the Great Lost Bear.

3.17/5  rDev -10.5%

A- Clear brown body with a fluffy white head

S- Spicy, toffee and some hopes

T- Caramel/toffee up front, hops and booze finish for a bitter taste that lingers and is not altogether pleasant

M- Full-bodied and coats the mouth and boozy warming

O- Tough to finish one and the unpleasant bitterness makes me reticent to revisit this one. It's more than other ESBs as this is more astringent than other bitters...

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

Nose: Very sweet. Dark fruit. Jam-like with a little yeast and hot alcohol.

Appearance: Slightly hazy, deep ruby. A thin head skims the top and sticks to the sides.

Taste: Plenty of booze in this. Very tart and really yeasty. A little musty and bitter on the back end. Assertive burnt malt notes.

Overall: Less "thump" than I was hoping for. Unless they're referring to the sound you make when you hit the ground.

3.2/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Pours a copper or rusty color with a light tan head. Good lacing.

S - The nose is just sweet caramel, candied sugars & malts.

T - The taste definitely mirrors the nose. Burnt caramel, sweet malts, light prunes & a faint bitterness.

M - On the light side of medium body with good carbonation.

O - Not one I would go for again. Just way too much sweetness to be enjoyable.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Something different for #200.

A-A rich amber color with a head that dies off rather quickly. Not too much in the way of lacing.

S-A big dose of malt and booze. Getting some hoppy bitterness in there as well. Predominantly sweet and alcoholic.

T-Like the nose, heavy on the malt and alcohol. Mild hop bitterness here too. As this one warms the alcohol becomes more pronounced.

M-Medium bodied. Sugary.

D-Not high in the drinkability category. Too boozy. Would like some more balance perhaps with a stronger hop profile. Took me forever to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

If you take a stout or IPA and make it imperial, the end result is still recognizable as a stout or IPA. If you take a pilsener and imperialze it, you get something very different but still pretty tasty. If take an ESB and "double" it you get...

a: This was a clear, moderately dark golden coppery color, It was served to me with a small fizzy head.

s: I was surprised by how strong the fruit elements were, this had a strong vinous quality. I also found toffee and a little too much heat.

t: This isn't anything close to an ESB anymore, but it is interesting. Up front I found sweet toffee and a strong grape-y flavor, maybe some apple juice as well. The finish got pretty hot very quickly.

m: Thick, sticky, and viscous.

d: There is some novelty value here, but overall this is a miss for me. I think calling this an ESB is a misleading mistake. To be fair though, they don't call it an ESB on their website. I think American strong ale or barleywine would be much more apt.

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance- Pours a clear amber color with no head or lacing.

Smell- smells of hops and alcohol.

Taste- Tastes the way it smells very bitter and strong.Slight butter taste that is not pleasant. Not like an ESB at all.

Mouthfeel- full bodied and bitter.

Drinkability- Once is enough for this one.

3.31/5  rDev -6.5%

Into a nonic:

A: hazy brown/orange/copper body gives a one finger off-white/caramel colored head that slowly dies to half a finger within a minute. No carbonation is seen rising, and barely any lacing is around the sides of the glass.

S: some strong caramel and malt notes accompanied with some slight alcohol aroma, slight hops in the background

T: sweet through the caramel and breadiness, slightly roasty nuttiness comes out, the alcohol comes out stronger as the beer warms.

M: heavy and carbonation is definitely felt, not sessionable

O: this thing is a beast, not only will I be drinking water after this, but my palate feels wrecked. Oh well, no big deal. Just curious, I wonder if this is more of a barleywine? I'd probably only have this again on special occasions or see if I could find it on tap somewhere.

3.32/5  rDev -6.2%

Purchased from Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley CA. Brought to Sydney and shared with @LaitueGonflable and @tobeeroronotobe.

Pours a hazed reddish amber colour, with a fine, slightly bubbly head of off-white. Minimal lacing. Body is goopy and gelatinous, and hold carbonation as though it has lost the will to rise to the surface. Looks decent overall.

Nose is, unfortunate, for want of a better word. Really pronounced vegetative, almost weedy aroma, giving hints of earth, bark and mulch. Some malty sweetness to offset it, but it really doesn't help the aroma overall.

Taste is similar, but here it starts to make a little more sense. Big, prickly English hop bitterness through the centre, giving herbal and woody flavours before punctuating the finish with a brisk punchy dot. Some rounded English malt characters give a slightly husky note which roughens the palate, but adds some basis.

Feel is slightly too chewy and thick for what it is: in fact, the flavours seem to struggle to hold on for as long as the feel wants them to.

Overall, this is a beer of contrasts. There are some really interesting things to it, and some things that just don't work at all. I like the really strong English bitterness, but I feel as though that would have been better utilised in a beer half its strength.

Shipyard Double Old Thumper Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.