Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011

Ratings: 537 | Reviews: 171
4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

I must admit, I was a little skeptical, blueberries in a porter? I was curious as to how the blueberry flavor was going to end up without being hidden by the porter profile of the beer.

I loved it, I found if full of flavor, good blueberries, with good thick smooth mouthfeel, without a strong alcohol aroma or flavor.

I wish I could find more.

This beer had inspired my to try and brew a robust blueberry porter like this.

4.92/5  rDev +27.8%

First thing first - you have to know what what you're getting into with this beer - It's not your traditional wheat or ale fruit beer. If you go in with those light, crisp expectations, you will be very shocked, likely disappointed, and probably frustrated.

This is not a light, summery fruit beer...even though it's blueberry. It's stout and porter like. If you've ever had fruit chocolates or a very fruity roast on your coffee beans, that's the closest comparable for this beer. This will not be a beer for everyone, and not a beer for most fruit beer drinkers. Try it if you like stouts and porters and are a bit tired of the heavy, smokey, toasty styles.

Dark, opaque, coloring. Not much foam/head on the pour.
Smooth, chocolate malts and light coffee-roast taste, perfumed with blueberries. The entire smelling, drinking process has wafts of blueberries - that's it; and that made it a fruity chocolate/coffee for me.

Would be great with a blueberry pastry like a blueberry muffin, scone...Don't really see it pairing with savory foods though.

4.82/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance: pours a dark violet color with a light brown, creamy head.

Smell: well…the name says it, blueberries. At 9% there is a slight booze aroma with chocolate malt aromas as well. I can tell this is definitely a dessert beer.

Taste: The flavors all came at me at once. It was almost like a chocolate juicy blueberry coffee crème cheese cake. I want to eat a piece of cheesecake and dip it in this beer.

Mouth feel: Silky smooth on the tongue. Not too thick, nice carbonation.

Overall: My mind was blown...or smashed...or blownberried...ok enough.. with this one. It has a lot of flavors going on with it. Nice mouth feel. Great smell. Nice beautiful color with great looking frothy creamy head. Would be great as a dessert beer.

Glassware: 22oz bottle split between to goblets

4.76/5  rDev +23.6%

A - Great tan foamy head. Brew stands very dark in color, could it be all the blueberries?

S - Lots of caramel and blueberries. Very sweet, but not sugary.

T - Sweet, but not overly sugary. Amazingly blueberry. Not induced blueberry, but actual blueberry. amazing how they made this taste SO good.

M - Wonderful. smooth. wet. great carbonation.

O - Amazing fruit brew. The best i've had. wonderful true berry flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

I was skeptical but this. beer. is. marvelous. And I normally don't like fruit beer (though this doesn't have that fruit beer character anyway).

A: Pours black with red/light brown edges when held up to the light. Khaki head that starts out about two fingers in a tulip glass and goes down at a moderate pace, some alcohol legs, little lacing.

S: Blueberry up front, but a tart real blueberry, not blueberry flavoring. You also get bready malts and a little bitterness. A little tobacco, not much.

T: What a complex beer. Blueberry sweetness up front, but again it is that tart real blueberry kind. It's more like blueberry skins if that makes sense. Follows with toasty malts. Some dark chocolate/black coffee bitterness on the finish.

M: Full bodied, not too boozy feeling for 9%. Smooth, but also has enough carbonation to cleanse the palate.

O: This is an awesome beer. Maybe I think it's so awesome because I expected it to not be...but I think it's because it's just AWESOME. Unique, complex, rich. Very nice, Shipyard. This is a perfect dessert beer.

4.74/5  rDev +23.1%

Serving type was 22 oz bomber bottle. Poured into a pint glass. The aroma was amazing. First whiff was of blueberries but as the beer opened up, chocolate and coffee emerged. Taste was amazing. Very similer to the nose. Blueberries, followed by chocolate and a touch of roasted coffee on the finish. As the beer opened up the chocolate became more pronounced. Mouthfeel is good. I love this beer! It has quickly become one of my favs!

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

By far the best looking fruit beer I've seen. I'm a fan of porters and stouts, and this is pitch black, with a moderate light tan head full of bubbles of all sized. Somewhat lacking in retention, when all is said and done there is a creamy film around the edges.

Smell is mostly of chocolate and dark roasted malts, some coffee to the side and the faintest hint of blueberry in the background. As it warms, vanilla seems to be involved as well.

Like in the smell, the blueberry is present, but not the major player, taking a secondary role instead. This is mostly a stout with it's chocolate/coffee/roasted flavors and the fruit playing a supporting role.

Very creamy, almost thick, fullish bodied. Sweet and coffee bitter at the same time.

Overall, this is as good a beer as I've had in a long time. It is a fruit beer, but I'd categorize it as a fruit stout. Despite the alcohol, it's well hidden and extremely easy to drink. Exceptional beer.

4.62/5  rDev +20%

Opened the bottle, immediate and huge aroma of blueberries; could be smelled even from 2 feet away. Literally the scent output of a glade air freshener (but blueberry/beery). Pours black though, with a light brown head.

As mentioned earlier, this is a blueberry scent factory from afar. In the glass it is blueberry, roasted/chocolate malt, and a bit of booze bringing up the rear.

Big roast and stout flavor up front- not at all overbearing though. Well balanced roast and cacao flavor. The essence of the berries permeates the taste though to the end, sort of there and sort of not. I guess I'd call it (no homo) ephemeral.

I find myself really wowed by this beer my wife snagged. Despite my never thinking of pairing these berries with a stout, this fuckin' works. This is definitely a beer that can bring noobs into the fold, and one that embittered craft drinkers can appreciate for its masterful blending of froofroo and seriousness. The 9% is an added bonus. Will definitely be buying a few extra bottles while it is available- suggest you guys do the same.

4.62/5  rDev +20%

A: Pours pitch black with a small tan airy head. Faint lacings.

S: Rich blueberry. Roasted dark malts, semi-sweet. Bitter hops.

T: Blueberries, rich oh how rich. Chocolate and coffee. Faint vanilla. Sweetness. Liqourice. Loaded with blueberries.

M: Aftertaste is long and bitter, also rich in blueberries. Body is full while carbonation is low.

O: This is a crazy, fantastic beer.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In a pint glass:

A: pure dark black body left a small white head that lasted for about thirty seconds and then died. The body was too dark for any carbonation to be seen. No lacing was seen at all.

S: centered around the chocolate and blueberries, combined very nicely. A bit of coffee and vanilla came out as the beer warmed. Some roasted malts also became slightly present.

T: centered around the coffee and roasted malts with the blueberries taking a background.

M: medium to heavy, very creamy with slight carbonation felt on the roof of my mouth, not sessionable

O: this was a superb beer. The alcohol was hidden extremely well. The flavors that were selected to be in this beer were combined perfectly. I actually didn't think this was going to be this good. I'm looking forward to this late September/early October when I think it'll be a perfect time to have this again. Best beer by Shipyard? - hands down!

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco. Brought back to Sydney and shared with @tobeerornottobe and @LaitueGonflable.

Pours a deep but clear brown-black colour, with a moderate, but pretty filmy head of mocha to beige brown. Lacing is patchy and dotted. Body is pleasantly fluid and light, but holds masses of really nice tiny carbonation. Not bad at all.

Nose is genuinely wonderful. Big fresh blueberry notes, jumping off a roasty sweet basis. Slight acidity coming through, but it's subtle. The sweetness from the blueberries is extraordinary. It makes a really lovely aroma for the beer, and it works so well in the style.

I was afraid the blueberry character would be lost in the palate, but it's here and is strong, giving a freshness and sweetness and that classic blueberry acidity. But this is tempered and complemented wonderfully by the roasted grains, which sit underneath giving a subtle chocolate character and some bitterness to clean out the finish. It's a sophisticated palate, with fruit providing a twist and a starting point, but the beer itself providing the depth and complexity.

Absolutely lovely beer. Really well balanced, and genuinely, uncompromisingly interesting. The blueberries provide a really unusual and genuinely pleasant character, that (what's more) works really nicely in the basis of the beer itself.

Love it.

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%

A - Cola body with ruby red highlights. Khaki head with ok retention and lace.

S - Huge nose full of chocolate covered blueberries and oatmeal. Great fruit character. Nice touch of booze on the backend.

T - Fantastic profile. Caramel malt, hot chocolate with blueberries, and warm booze pave the way for escalating wave of fresh blueberry flavor.

M - Medium/light body. The booze is a touch sharp, but not bad.

O - Stellar brew. Definitely the best blueberry dark beer I've had, and maybe even the best blueberry beer I've had in general.

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

Smashed Blueberry achieves what others only dream of. A truly successful concoction.

Appearance: While I musty admit, I served this beer most recently in the dark, I have seen it before, and the darkness is truly awe inspiring.

Smell: I reserve a 5 score for beers that truly master the aspect of beer they are taking on. Seriously, Shipyard. I cannot smell this beer without saying, "Whoa"... Absolutely fantastic. All aspects of blueberries are present in this aroma. I can smell the sweetness, the tartness, even the grassiness of the stem and leaves. Absolutely fantastic. Blueberries all the way.

Taste: This beer is something truly special. Nothing comes close. I've had blueberry stouts that I have enjoyed, but nothing close to this. Maltiness mixed with a perfect falvor of blueberries. Sweet, slight sourness, and blueberries from start to finish. Slight alcohol burn permeates and lingers through the finish and beyond. My head is spinning.

Mouthfeel: Because I feel you should always find something the beer can improve....the mouthfeel of this beer is a LITTLE thin. Honestly, it's the only aspect of this beer that I THINK they might be able to improve. It really isn't bad, but if I had to pick SOMETHING.

Overall: This beer succeeds at giving me a blueberry beer more than any other I've tried. Many beers end up being too sweet...cloyingly so. The Shipyard does not. The Shipyard really delivers fresh blueberries into a fantastic beer, with enough alcohol to really spin you onto your keister. I love this beer, and can't wait to try it again.

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer is delicious! Some people don't like fruity beer, but if you tend to be skeptical, you should let down your guard and give this one a go! It has a deep brown/midnight blue color that is complimented nicely by both the smell and taste. The aroma is sweet and pleasant to the palette. As you begin to drink, you will taste a sweet creamy liquid that is not overpowered by the blueberry in the least. It has a little bit of a tart finish, but at 9% ABV, this beer is a must try! Highly recommend.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Big thanks to CoastieSimon for bringing this over. The brew pours a deep brown-black hue and is topped with a fairly big mocha head, depositing rings of lace and generally appearing like a good Stout or Porter. The nose suggests blueberry intensely and immensely from an arm's length, but as I get up to the glass, it is much more sublime or intricately nuanced than initially expected. There are delicious roasty notes of cappuccino, toffee and molasses as well as a fair share of jammy and vinous dark fruit in addition to the berry notes. The roasty, toffee- and coffee-tinged elements of the brew are more directly experienced in the flavor, although blueberry is still a significant feature. Great balance and a creamy mouthfeel round out the overview of this exceptional take on a fruit beer.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Pours really dark plum color with a bit of a chocolate colored head that recedes quickly

S: Fantastic smell. At first it's an aroma of caramel malt and vanilla, which follows into a slightly cinnamon scent, all with a tartness of blueberries. Kind of like rochefort 10's aroma.

T: Interesting that it's different than the smell. At first it starts off with huge, distinct coffee and chocolate notes, then it moves into an oak dryness in the middle, and finishes with a hoppy and blueberry flavor. Excellent taste.

O: This one blows me away much like smashed pumpkin does. I'm interested in shipyard now. Will definitely buy again.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Asked the bartender for a sample, as I'm always leery of some "fruit" beers, and had never had a Shipyard brew. The nose was a faint, over ripen blueberry (very good) and was encouraging. The first taste was an coating of bittersweet chocolate, with a coffee afternotes.

Based on my first impressions, I asked for a glass (a 12 oz pour into a goblet.). The head was a nice quarter inch rich sienna forth that sustained in the glass during the entire quaff. In the larger glass the blueberry aroma was in more muted. The dark umber liquid was had a lovely silky mouthfeel and I noted a pleasant, slightly sweet maltiness the more drank. Overall a very pleasant interlude, and the fact that I'm vacationing in Maine in two weeks means a side trip to Portland to investigate Shipyard brews on their home turf.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Arrives extremely dark blue/indigo(?) with a nice medium tan head that drops to a film fairly quickly. No lace.
Smell is malt and blueberry with a medicinal hop note and a hint of grass.
Taste is very similar with a noticeable blueberry presence to go with the malt and a balancing grassy hopness. A fermented, fruity alcohol note is there as well. Well balanced.
Full body with a very light effervescence. Somewhat warming with a mild astringency in the finish. Very good stuff, more so considering how hard it is to get blueberry to show up in the finished product. Good job.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Yet another beer on my quest to tick every blueberry related creation that the beer world has to offer, except for Blabaer. This one looks promising. Finally a blueberry beer I can take seriously!

This bottle arrived today courtesy of BrewerB, thanks Brian! Kudos to you sir for knocking off one of my wants. It was so random, I never even thought about it being a possibility for this package haha. It pours a dark, dark chestnut brown in color with amber highlights and a one finger, very smooth and creamy beige colored head. It looks like a legit and smooth drinker. When I popped the cap I instantly got a nice dose of blueberry cobbler. It wasn't cloying and is surprisingly very authentic. Just what I wanted! Aside from the heap of blueberries you get a nice soft blend of dark roasted malts, light chocolate, and some toffee. I could smell this all day. The flavors are a perfect mix of sweet, yet not overdone and very authentic blueberries, light coffee, cream, roasted malts, and chocolate. Dear god I couldn't have imagined it to be much better. I could pour this on my ice cream. My grandparents would love this just because they love cobbler and coffee. It drinks medium to full in body and drinks more like a stout, which is perfect. Overall this beer was everything I wanted it to be. I actually never thought it could be this good. Great beer to sit back and enjoy to yourself. Thanks again Brian, you hit this one on the head!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Found at My Place in Newtown, CT this one is a thick black brown color with a decent tan head and very nice lacing. The aroma has a beautiful blueberry chocolate malt theme that is luscious with an impression of some lemony hop mixed in for good measure! Very nice. The flavor brings along an even bolder blueberry malt with deep berry sweetness and beautiful chocolate malt. I get a bit of a medicinal, Dr. Pepper mintiness and generally I find this to be a delicious concoction. Unusual perhaps but a beautiful and natural fruit combo in my book. The body is medium with modest but adequate carbonation for a somewhat resinous and luxurious feel. A definite hit for me, perhaps the best Shipyard I’ve had yet!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Who is the mad scientist responsible for this brew? Billed as a fruit/porter/scotch ale hybrid, Smashed Blueberry is all that.

The scent of blueberries is powerful. I smelled it as the barkeep pushed my pint across the bar to me, the scent getting stronger as I lifted the glass to my mouth (almost no head by the time the beer reached me).

Unlike so many fruit beers, the taste of blueberries is pungent, balancing nicely with what my tongue initially perceived to be a brown ale, with a distinct chocolate smokiness following. There was little to no taste of alcohol.

A most unique and tasty beer.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. BLUEBERRY BEER WAR!!!! 3 of 3!

Very light tan to cocoa light head uniform very nicely forming and even and tight. Perhaps about three solid fingers off the pour giving to a nice what looks black body but comes off as more dark brown walnut with gorgeous red hues on the edges.

Bouquet is a nice light blueberry but also a dominant malt and milk chocolate roastiness. Just wonderful.

Taste is a nice chocolaty malt backbone with a slight creamy feeling. Nice blueberry sweetness with a little bit of light sugars in the palate. Juicy. Coffee like roast character on the finish.

Overall, it's blueberry, chocolate cake, and roast coffee all rolled into one, with a drink in your hand. Some things I have from Shipyard are not good, this is NOT one of them, wonderful job here, great beer they made here.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

A big thanks to HoppySuds for this beer. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into a sniffer with an opaque dark chocolate color. Slight brown color is seen around the edges of the glass. A finger of mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing.

Smell – Wow. Open the bottle and you immediately smell blueberries. And we are not talking about fake blueberries, but ripe, plump, juicy blueberries. I am honestly quite amazed. [edit – I realized what this smells like – somewhat like the blueberry filled pies as a child…which is ironic seeing as that stuff is probably really fake but I still get a lot of legitimate blueberry aromas). Slight chocolate, coffee, and caramel.

Taste – Fantastic. You can rip on Shipyard as much as you want, but this is a pretty good porter. Begins with heavy blueberry flavors which melds wonderfully with the chocolate and coffee flavors. A hint of tartness, roasted malts, and bitterness.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall – VERY glad I traded for this. I had this on my “wants” list for a while and finally decided to seek it out. I love a good porter when it gets cold (though I am more of a sour fan) and was intrigued by the description (and pretty good ratings) of this beer. I honestly feel this beer should be rated better but people have a preconceived notion that Shipyard sucks. This is a really good fruit flavored porter and I will be trading for another in the near future. No alcohol flavor or burn. Very well put together and done. Yes it is a bit one dimensional with the blueberry flavor, but hot damn if it isn’t tasty.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

I will be tasting Shipyard Brewing Pugsley’s Signature Series “Smashed Blueberry” also look for “Smashed Pumpkin”. The blueberry blue bottle tells the story of this 9.0% ABV blueberry powerhouse. It is a hybrid between a Porter and a Scotch Ale, an intriguing combination. It is being served chilled in my Guinness tumbler.

Appearance: Pours a coffee brown with a massive Coke colored head (not Coke itself but the foam that results from pouring a warm Coke).

Nose: It smells very much like fresh blueberry pie. There are hints of a baked crust and jammy fruit. Coffee from the Porter lingers in the background. Violet Beauregarde flashes in my mind.

Taste: Not overly blueberry, in fact the fruit flavor hovers in the background to accentuate the forward coffee flavors. Hop presence sticks to the front of the tongue while the blueberries gush for a pleasant finish. A burst of coffee returns with every exhale. As it warms up the Scotch Ale is more prevalent. Slight chocolate and caramel notes flash in and out of the blueberry essence.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours an almost opaque super dark reddish-brown with a 1 inch tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Random legs of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of chocolate covered blueberries mixed with blueberry glazed doughnuts. Taste is of roasted malt, coffee beans, dark chocolate, and dried blueberries. A minor roasty bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and bubbly mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good blueberry beer that is extremely stout like. This reminds me of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry stout.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.