2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 408 | Reviews: 159 | Show All Ratings:
rappmann

Ontario (Canada)

Purchased a 625 ml bottle at the local liquor store

Upon opening this beer, i got a huge whiff of blueberry in my face, which made me really happy. It smelled fantastic, like real blueberries. It poured wonderfully, with 1.5 fingers of off white creamy head that dissipated pretty quickly.

Sadly, for me, that is where the goodness ended. This beer had very little of that delicious blueberry smell, and was just not my cup of tea. I thought it was terribly balanced, and really fought to finish the bottle.

Glad i picked it up to try, but i will be avoiding this one from now on.

09-19-2012 00:56:07 | More by rappmann
alk3kenny

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours a nice dark color with a tan head... Head goes away pretty quickly and does not lace the glass. Smell is semi-sweet very much of artificial blueberry not very inviting... The dark part of the beer tastes ok but the blueberry flavor isn't that great and damn is this beer hot the alcohol lets you know its there without fail. Not a big fan of this at all next beer please.

06-15-2012 03:31:36 | More by alk3kenny
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.48/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle: Poured a dark brown and blue color ale with a medium size foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma of blueberry with light coughs medicine syrup and gross stale sugary notes. Taste is not the best of match between some chocolate and deep sweet caramel notes and blueberry with some stale fruit notes and gross sweet notes of residual sugars. Body is quite full with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Weird mix that really didn’t work out for me and I ended up drain-poured most of this bottle.

11-19-2012 21:16:16 | More by Phyl21ca
JWU

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a tumbler glass.

A- a very dark brown, little light gets through, with a nice dense tan head. Head does dissipate fairly quickly.

S- some cocoa, blueberry, and candy sugar. Boozy, and overly sweet.

T- a big boozy mess. You would think that chocolate and blueberry would work, but it just doesn't. Overly sweet, with an aggressive bitterness on the back end to try and tame it. Nothing melds together, and nothing works about this beer.

M- Fairly thin for as dark as it is, a bit dry and almost metallic on the back.

O- Had high hopes for this, which were quickly crushed.

02-15-2013 01:15:28 | More by JWU
Sean9689

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle at our good beer/bad beer tasting. Poured into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a darker brown/amber color, off-white head, thin collar.

S - Roasted malts, blueberry, marker. The blueberry notes really come though and remind me of blueberry muffins, with the roasted sweet malty notes.

T - Tastes like blueberry cough syrup and has an awful harsh medicinal finish. Hints of beer in there, some malty notes, but otherwise, just a nasty blueberry medicinal note.

M - Medium, light carbonation, alcohol is hidden well for 9%.

O - I would definitely drink this again if it was able to cure the common cold and/or help my cough, but as a beer, I'm going to pass. The other bright spot was the medicinal note hid the alcohol pretty well.

Lightly roasted malt notes that are a bit smoky with pleasant blueberry notes shining through nicely. Pours dark chesnut amber with an off white head. The flavor has almost no notes of the blueberry, a tad at the beginning come in nicely, then more of a light barleywine base with some sweet malts and a bit of the roasted porter flavor.

01-09-2012 16:43:32 | More by Sean9689
KarlosT

2.88/5  rDev -25.8%

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic pixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

For a bit of a beer snob, I tend to like several fruity beers (blueberry, BlueMoon). This beer started out real interesting. Aroma was quite good, with strong coffee and blueberry notes. The appearance was great, reminding me of a heavy imperial stout.

At first, I thought the taste of the coffee and blueberry worked. But that after-taste put me off. Perhaps a bit too bitter and strong. Didn't end up finishing my 3oz sampler.

09-23-2012 14:52:05 | More by KarlosT
CheezyBlaster

2.95/5  rDev -24%

This beer is a no-go for me. I've defended Shipyard in the past. However, through the mediocre fuggles IPA and awful, awful beers like that Pumpkinhead rubbish everyone buys, Shipyard isn't what it used to be . . . or my memory is cloudy. I notice that BA tends to like this one, but I cannot agree.

Nose: Blueberry with a hint of blueberry. Dark roasted malts dipped in blueberry flavored syrup. Can't get past it.

Dark roasted malts take shape as coffee and some dark chocolate/cocoa, but really blueberry-atized -like that sickening blueberry compote they put on pancakes in shitty diners. Booze on the finish. Some unwelcome diacetyl. The blueberry is really sickening after a point. I enjoyed their cider-like brew with smashed pumpkin, but this stuff is not my fave by a long shot. Pass!

11-29-2011 22:10:50 | More by CheezyBlaster
AgentZero

2.95/5  rDev -24%

A - Dark brown beer, almost black in lower light. Tan head that faded to a bit of a ring and left some lace on the sides.

S - Smells like those fake blueberries that are in those cheap muffin mixes you buy. smells like blueberries, but then you realize there's something off and artificial about it.

T - Tastes like blueberry mix thrown into some milk. Some malts, that's about it.

M - Mouthfeel is like that of slightly carbonated milk. Heavier side of medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - Pretty average beer. A lot of other people hated it more than I do, but I didn't think it was horrible. Can't drink much and wouldn't ever seek it out, but I've had worse.

01-17-2012 02:16:50 | More by AgentZero
Reagan1984

Dull foamy tan head. Looks a bit like a barley wine with some ruby tones but it could be purple. Very dark in color. A tiny bit of sudsy lace.

Aroma at first was nice and definitely blueberry. Once in the glass it’s so much thicker and not nearly as pleasing. Almost a vinaigrette hint to it. (Turns out that flavor is not sour or vinegar like at all)

Man, I want to like this. I love blueberry and there have been several blueberry beers I’ve loved. But this just doesn’t work for me. Lots of burnt/charred malt flavors which take center stage and eventually give way to a subtle but present blueberry flavor. The two don’t really match in my estimation. The aftertaste is nice, but with the next sip comes that ash blast. A little sweetness up front might do some magic here.

Dry on the tongue, medium bodied.

I wish I liked it more.

02-25-2012 22:12:11 | More by Reagan1984
jtierney89

Deep brown color with crimson hues around the edges. Thin burnt sugar colored head. Smells, well, like blueberries. Subtle hints of sloe gin, currants, and anisette. Touch of coffee and sweet chocolate as well.

Flavor is extremely strange. Starts on the tip of the tongue almost like grape soda. Big belgian like body rolls across the tongue flashing sweeter flavors such as blueberries and currants. The flavor cuts out immediately on the back end of the tongue though to bitter black coffee and chocolate creating huge contrasting flavors.

While the nose smelt amazing. I didn't get enough of the blueberry in the beer. Along with this, the start and finish were two totally different monsters, and i mean tongue slapping monsters. From berry fruitiness to coffee bitterness and a faint hint of alcohol. The beer is unique and far more than quaff-able but it's just trying to stretch what flavors go together a bit too much.

05-31-2012 02:16:39 | More by jtierney89
MasterSki

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Not sure who shared this one - Sean? Served in a Captain Lawrence tulip.

A - A half-finger of tan foam settles to a wispy partial cap, thin collar, and a few splotches of lace. Brown body with some reddish glints to it.

S - Smells like a combination of blueberry cough syrup and waxy Christmas chocolate. There's a faint vomit and alcohol note in the periphery.

T - Taste is a bit better as the off-flavors disappear, leaving behind the blueberry pie, and low-quality milk chocolate. Alcohol is better hidden here, but this is surprisingly bland for a 9% beer.

M - Medium-full body, lower carbonation, chewy and sticky texture, and light warming alcohol.

D - Fairly easy to drink for the high alcohol content, but too sweet for large quantities. The aroma is also slightly off-putting at this stage. Perhaps this was better in the summer, but at this point it's not something I'd want to drink again.

01-08-2012 17:22:46 | More by MasterSki
Casey10

Maine

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

I really wanted to like this beer. I picked it up at the brewery after hearing about it. After drinking it I can say that while the alcohol is well hidden it still taste the same as other shipyard beers. Some may like it others may not I am saying this is bad just that it is about average.

A - dark some lacing on the glass.

S- familiar smell smells like a lot of shipyard beers.

T - some of the blueberry comes through its okay

M - some creaminess again okay

O - I may have been generous here it's okay but because I was expecting more perhaps shipyard might consider doing some different thing other than top fermenting yeast that makes their beers taste so similar

06-04-2011 23:13:21 | More by Casey10
Thorpe429

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a very dark brown color with a thin off-white head and just a spot or two of lacing. The nose carries some pretty heavy blueberry character. A light bit of roast and chocolate behind. Flavor is predominantly blueberry and is fairly one-dimensional. Not much other than blueberries. Touch of malt in the background. Medium body. Decent, but mostly just another fruit beer.

01-07-2012 18:37:10 | More by Thorpe429
VtBeerRun

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

There is nothing wrong with this beer, just not what I was hopping for. If I get a blueberry beer I want it to be a good taste of blueberry. This just didn't do it for me. I'd rather take a quality pale ale and put fresh blue berries in it. Shipyard has some good beers, and this didn't taste bad, just didn't reach my expectations.

Cheers,
Dave

01-22-2012 22:00:28 | More by VtBeerRun
cjgator3

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a light tan head with solid lacing and retention.

S- The blueberry notes are very strong in this beer. In fact, I got a strong whiff of them the instant I opened the bottle. The blueberry notes in the aroma remind me more of the blueberry scented markers that I remember using as a kid in school than actual fresh blueberries. Behind the blueberries, I can pick up some chocolate and a touch of alcohol.

I will say that the aroma opens up quite a bit as the beer warms in the glass and the chocolate and coffee notes become a little more prevalent which is a good thing.

T- The taste is very sweet with some chocolate and coffee up front with the blueberries coming in towards the finish and some warmth from the alcohol as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Smashed Blueberry was more of an interesting beer that i was glad to have tried because I have never tried a beer quite like it before. With that said, I don't think I would purchase it again. The blueberry flavors are too artificial and the sweetness was a little too much for me.

07-30-2011 02:43:29 | More by cjgator3
Stinkypuss

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry

Pours a dark amber brown, bordering black with a short livid off white head. Aroma is full of fresh blueberry with a little roasted malt in the background. In the taste, blueberry, roasted malt, alcohol and cooked vegetable with porter like notes. Aftertaste is mildly harsh. Flavors are unoffensive for the most part, and this is the strongest blueberry beer on the market according to ABV. Decent brew, big time blueberry flavor.

12-02-2011 04:59:56 | More by Stinkypuss
jsanford

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Pours black with brown highlights and a thin khaki head that settles to a slight haze.
S - Big blueberry aromas - similar to a blueberry muffin, actually. A touch of sweet, lightly roasted malt provides a sturdy backbone, but make no mistake, the blueberry is the star here. Fairly authentic as far as blueberry goes, but still not my favorite thing to put in beer.
T - Dark roasted malt, very bitter dark chocolate, and a lot of blueberry. Basically imagine a dark chocolate bar studded with dried blueberries and you have this beer.
M - Smooth and creamy, with a medium-full body and decent carbonation.
O - Not bad considering all this has going against it (it's got blueberries in it AND it's made by Shipyard). Still not my favorite application of blueberry to beer, but I was at least able to drink it.

04-12-2012 14:50:59 | More by jsanford
Yagman3000

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

Served from a 22 oz. bomber into an oversized glass stein.

Appears an odd shade. Mostly dark rich browns with a subtle purple tone underneath it.

Smell is way too understated for me. Even with agitating and swirling, I'm only picking up a mild chocolate.

I can taste the blueberry here and I'm really trying to. It has a pretty straight porter taste to it but not too strong on that regard. A bit dissapointing.

Mouthfeel is ok. I wish it carried a little more thickness to it, a bit of a warmer as the weather gets cold.

Overall a disappointment. Wish there was some trace of blueberry. False advertising! :(

11-18-2011 03:37:47 | More by Yagman3000
Philousa

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a dark reddish brown with nearly no head. Tons of blueberry in the nose, with light hops and sweet caramel. Malty flavor up front with tons of blueberry. Fades to chocolate bitterness to balance the malt. Silky feel in mouth, not too heavy, similar to a porter.

This is definitely different than what I expected and I actually like a fruit beer for once. Although it was better than most raspberry or peach beers out there, I still wouldn't have it often, but it's good to mix up the pace while not totally throwing off your palate.

08-20-2011 23:56:55 | More by Philousa
laituegonflable

Australia

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown with colour up to the light. Head is good at first when poured, settles out to a thin crown. Beige colour, lace is alright. Looks good.

Smells mediciney. Phenolic, cherry notes, lots of vanilla sweetness. Pongy and a bit overpowering. Fruity and sickly sweet. Yeah, can't say I'm a fan.

Taste is similar, with that sickly sweet fruit flavour and a touch of coconut, but balances it out a bit better. Hint of glacé cherries, over thick roasty stouty notes. Very coconut and vanilla and very sweet. Bit too much; needs more roast to ground it. Otherwise not too bad, quite dry on the back that mellows out the sweet, medicinal front a bit.

Dry and boozey, with a hot alcohol note on the front. Otherwise quite smooth and good.

Wish I liked this more, but there's just too much residual sugar and it just tastes a bit flakey.

01-02-2012 07:02:20 | More by laituegonflable
Vec2267

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

A - black with a small tan head that retains well - impressive for the ABV

S - sweet, fructose pancake syrup (the fake stuff - not good maple syrup), some alcohol

T - fruit, booze, some chocolate and coffee at first but the big fruity aftertaste dominates as the bottle goes down

M - medium body

O - a dysfunctional marriage

This is an easy drinking dessert beer, sugary blueberry pie and coffee in a bottle. Nothing bad or offensive, but nothing that makes me want another bottle.

02-26-2012 00:22:32 | More by Vec2267
beertunes

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Despised 22oz bottle poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a very dark brown, almost black, color with about a half-inch of tan head that had OK retention and lacing that also featured lots of clinging bubbles on the side of the glass.

The aroma was dominated at first by a huge blueberry blast. After a few moments some light grain showed through, along with a bit of roast. The taste was pretty much the same, with the sweetness of the berries overpowering everything else. Good thing I like like blueberries. In addition, there was a noticeable alcohol taste and the roast aspect was also much bolder.

The body was good, solid without being heavy or sticky. Drinkability was OK for a sweet, 9%ABV brew. Overall, a good, but not great, brew. Worth checking out due to a low price at Trader Joes.

08-08-2012 21:07:45 | More by beertunes
Brad007

Vermont

3.53/5  rDev -9%

Pours a beautiful dark blue with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks like a mix of grape or blueberry juice.

Sweet, roasty(?) with a faint hint of artificial blueberry. Hardly there at all.

Hot, sweet and certainly resembles an unholy cross between a scotch ale and porter. After a while, the blueberry disappears, giving way to some roasted coffee, chocolate and peat flavors.

The alcohol heat makes it a bit difficult to enjoy. There's still a mess because the styles have been smashed (pun intended) together in one brew.

I don't like it that much. It's not horrible and perhaps you could cellar it (I would recommend it). Otherwise, don't waste $8.49 on another bomber.

08-01-2011 01:36:11 | More by Brad007
JizackFH

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This beer pours a very dark blueberry juice red. This has a small short-lived light tan head on it. The head has no apparent lacing, just a small floating ring of foam resting atop the beer.

S - Mmm, a nice dark blueberry smell right off the bat. There is definitely some alcohol notes present, but not in a harsh way by any means. There is also some bready notes as well as some roasted malt.

T - Very interesting flavor profile here. It is like a roasty chocolatey brown ale with blueberries mixed in. The blueberry isn't some crappy artificial blueberry flavor either, It comes across as nice and fresh. There is some bourbony alcohol quality to it as well. The finish leaves some lingering roastiness, blueberry, and some booziness.

M - This has a full body and lower carbonation. It goes down easy and has a rich and creamy feel to it. There is quite a bit of roasted bitterness here, along with some alcohol warmth.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down easy and has a nice unique flavor. This is definitely one of the more interesting beers I've had recently. I definitely never had anything quite like it. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend giving it a shot.

08-29-2011 18:23:29 | More by JizackFH
fatmcb1

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a wine glass

Pours dark brown with a tan half finger head. No lacing.

There is a very strong blueberry scent, followed by chocolate and roasted malt.

Roasted malt is most prevalent in taste. Blueberries are also certainly present, but it is more difficult to distinguish.

Bubbly, strong carbonation is present. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, with a dry finish.

This is quite different than any other fruit beer I have had. Seems almost like a cross between a stout and a fruit beer. Also, the carbonation is a bit over done. Glad to have tried it once, but wouldn't seek it out again.

10-09-2011 02:11:25 | More by fatmcb1
Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.