Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011)
ktrillionaire

4.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Big thanks to CoastieSimon for bringing this over. The brew pours a deep brown-black hue and is topped with a fairly big mocha head, depositing rings of lace and generally appearing like a good Stout or Porter. The nose suggests blueberry intensely and immensely from an arm's length, but as I get up to the glass, it is much more sublime or intricately nuanced than initially expected. There are delicious roasty notes of cappuccino, toffee and molasses as well as a fair share of jammy and vinous dark fruit in addition to the berry notes. The roasty, toffee- and coffee-tinged elements of the brew are more directly experienced in the flavor, although blueberry is still a significant feature. Great balance and a creamy mouthfeel round out the overview of this exceptional take on a fruit beer.

08-06-2011 15:47:55 | More by ktrillionaire
gdrydenc

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Let me start out by saying that calling this a fruit beer is wrong my eyes. It says right on it that it's a porter and scotch ale with blueberry flavor. So I'll treat it as such.

A - Pours a dark brown with caramel head that sits at the top for quite some time before relaxing to just a thin halo for the duration.

S - Smells, well, like a porter and a scotch ale with a bit of blueberry. So, as they described it, it's spot on.

T - Well, taste is exactly what I would expect. The blueberry is present, but faint. The porter section is delicious, a bit of coffee and a bit of chocolate. The scotch runs through with a bit of smokiness.

M - The carbonation is spot on with this beer. It's enough to totally fill your mouth with the flavor, without overwhelming with carbonation.

Overall, this is a cool beer. Like I said, calling this a fruit beer is just wrong. Calling it what it is, this is a good beer.

08-05-2011 02:02:26 | More by gdrydenc
mikesgroove

South Carolina

was surprised with this. my brother in law brought it up from florida and i tried it last weekend in a tasting glass.

poured out a dark brownish black like color that you could swear had something else going on in there. nice tight head formed on top.

aroma is charred malts, berries, hints of caramel and light vanilla and splash of berry. really comes in waves, at first i could pick it p quite nicely but it seemed to fade on me and then it was a nice malt driven porter like beer, interesting things going on here for sure. lots of fruit in the taste but it seemed odd in a way that is hard to place completely. smooth finish left little in the wake.

overall interesting and one of the better offerings from them

08-03-2011 02:36:45 | More by mikesgroove
badboyrsl84

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours dark brown with a white head that dies down to a lacing around the beer.

Smell- sweet malt, roasted chocolate and oh yes blueberries. Nothing smells super strong and all the smells are faint.

Taste- money!! It tastes like a well cooked blueberry muffin. I get more of a roasted malt, blueberries, and a back end of chocolate with hints more of blueberries.

Overall- its a very well done beer by ship yard, but the smashed pumpkin is still my favorite of the series.

08-02-2011 22:50:04 | More by badboyrsl84
Vanlingleipa

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Who is the mad scientist responsible for this brew? Billed as a fruit/porter/scotch ale hybrid, Smashed Blueberry is all that.

The scent of blueberries is powerful. I smelled it as the barkeep pushed my pint across the bar to me, the scent getting stronger as I lifted the glass to my mouth (almost no head by the time the beer reached me).

Unlike so many fruit beers, the taste of blueberries is pungent, balancing nicely with what my tongue initially perceived to be a brown ale, with a distinct chocolate smokiness following. There was little to no taste of alcohol.

A most unique and tasty beer.

08-01-2011 03:21:33 | More by Vanlingleipa
Brad007

Vermont

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a beautiful dark blue with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks like a mix of grape or blueberry juice.

Sweet, roasty(?) with a faint hint of artificial blueberry. Hardly there at all.

Hot, sweet and certainly resembles an unholy cross between a scotch ale and porter. After a while, the blueberry disappears, giving way to some roasted coffee, chocolate and peat flavors.

The alcohol heat makes it a bit difficult to enjoy. There's still a mess because the styles have been smashed (pun intended) together in one brew.

I don't like it that much. It's not horrible and perhaps you could cellar it (I would recommend it). Otherwise, don't waste $8.49 on another bomber.

08-01-2011 01:36:11 | More by Brad007
WesWes

The beer pours a dark brown/black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has your typical porter scent; roasted, earthy black malts with some chocolate malt balance. The blueberry aroma is tart and refreshing. The taste is good as well. It has a solid malt base consisting of dry, earthy, roasted malts as well as some crystal/chocolate malts for some added sweetness. The blueberry character is mild and compliments the malt bill. It goes down smooth with little indication of this being a 9% abv beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good to great fruit beer. It's a nice take on the porter style along with an adequate/not over the top blueberry addition.

07-31-2011 09:41:19 | More by WesWes
oline73

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours almost black with just a hint of light coming through at the edges. There is a finger of tan head that fades away to just a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Really nice. The first thing that hits you is the smell of sweet, natural blueberry, go figure. In the background there is some roast, but the fruit really dominates.

Taste: There is a lot going on here. The blueberry hits the tongue first, but it's not nearly as dominant as it was in the smell. After that, there is a bitter roast that just comes out of nowhere, but it's a very welcome addition to the party. Finally, there is a hoppy blueberry finish with a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium. The carbonation seemed to be a tad high, and the finish is a bit slick.

Overall: I really liked the flavor combination here. The roast with the fruit was well balanced. I would have another.

07-31-2011 01:53:53 | More by oline73
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pour is a light porter with a healthy sticky tan head.

S: Aromas of sweet artificial blueberry smells, sweet scotch ale characteristics of butterscotch, deep roasted malts and patent malt from the porter mixture.

T: This is a nice beer. I was really surprised at all of the different flavors in here, each battling it out for the crown of who is in control. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy this beer it is not quite balanced. I do commend the beer for putting all of these different characteristics together under one roof. It is definitely a nice mixture of beer; each flavor popping its head out to say hi.

M: Slightly boozy and light for 9% abv, medium carbonation and a light body.

O: Pretty good. I would drink it again, which I probably would not do with all of the Pugsley line. This is a slight mess, but interesting.

07-30-2011 21:00:14 | More by alpinebryant
cjgator3

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a light tan head with solid lacing and retention.

S- The blueberry notes are very strong in this beer. In fact, I got a strong whiff of them the instant I opened the bottle. The blueberry notes in the aroma remind me more of the blueberry scented markers that I remember using as a kid in school than actual fresh blueberries. Behind the blueberries, I can pick up some chocolate and a touch of alcohol.

I will say that the aroma opens up quite a bit as the beer warms in the glass and the chocolate and coffee notes become a little more prevalent which is a good thing.

T- The taste is very sweet with some chocolate and coffee up front with the blueberries coming in towards the finish and some warmth from the alcohol as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Smashed Blueberry was more of an interesting beer that i was glad to have tried because I have never tried a beer quite like it before. With that said, I don't think I would purchase it again. The blueberry flavors are too artificial and the sweetness was a little too much for me.

07-30-2011 02:43:29 | More by cjgator3
FLBeerGal

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Serving type was 22 oz bomber bottle. Poured into a pint glass. The aroma was amazing. First whiff was of blueberries but as the beer opened up, chocolate and coffee emerged. Taste was amazing. Very similer to the nose. Blueberries, followed by chocolate and a touch of roasted coffee on the finish. As the beer opened up the chocolate became more pronounced. Mouthfeel is good. I love this beer! It has quickly become one of my favs!

07-28-2011 18:46:34 | More by FLBeerGal
DmanGTR

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at World of Beer, Sarasota FL

Poured deep, dark brown with a scant off-white head. No lacing, but with a beer this high in alcohol, I'm not surprised. Garnet hues in the light. Very pretty. Unexpected color tones for a blueberry beer.

The blueberry is quite prominent. Not the fake kind either, I get a ton of sweet berries followed by a mysterious porter-like chocolate and very nice caramel/treacle undertones. Alcohol is not detected in the nose. Very inviting.

A sweet forefront of blueberries, blackberries, toffee, and barley. A blend of Belgian dark chocolate and toast follows, then finishing with blueberry dark chocolate and chocolate covered expresso beans. This is pretty much a blueberry imperial porter, but you'll never tell it's imperial because the alcohol is so well hidden.

A medium rich body akin to that of a nice English porter. Carbonation is well done, not too bitey, not too flat. It actually accentuates the body and brings out the fruity notes a bit.

Overall, a very well done beer. Flavors are assertive and well expressed, yet not overdone. Not cloying at all. This is one I will seek out. Thank you, Shipyard, for finally making a beer of which I am a huge fan. I will seek this out in bottled form.

07-28-2011 03:47:45 | More by DmanGTR
ksimons

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A-pours a blue black with a fingers worth of tan head that sticks to the glass

S-the minute you open the beer the blueberry smell explodes, malt and brown sugar round it out

T-taste is not as heavy on blueberries as the smell was, but they are still very much in charge and give a nice sweetness to the beer. Roasted malt and a bitter coffee like taste finish it out.

M-medium to full body, moderate carbonation, dry and smooth

Overall I usually don't go for the fruity beers but this one is very good and has a nice, interesting balance of a porter/scotch and fruit beer

07-26-2011 23:14:27 | More by ksimons
beer4colin

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Union Brewhouse, the best taproom on Boston's South Shore.

I actually canceled my plans today so that I could come back and taste this beer again, it was so intriguing yesterday.

Pours very dark with a thin espresso colored head.

The aroma is blueberries and then some.

But the blueberries do not carry the taste. This is first and foremost a porter with the blueberries just adding the natural caramel sweetness. Calling this a fruit beer is very misleading.

Once again, like he has done with the Pugsley's Smashed Pumpkin and his take on Barleywine, Alan Pugsley has created on of the most amazing beers of the year here. Then flavors are complex, 9% ABV is there, but not boozy there and the flavors keep calling you back for more.

07-26-2011 21:20:37 | More by beer4colin
abrethanson

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

First impression - not what I expected. Light intentions on the fruit, smooth and just a good beer.

Appearance - Light frothy head that dissipates quickly. Dark/cola appearance like a stout or porter. Nothing overly impressive but definitely surprised me as I was not expecting it to be so dark... But I also did not read until after that it was similar to a porter.

Smell - I have no sense of smell but was told that it smells like a beer. Did not hear a comment on the blueberries.

Taste - The more I drink the less I notice the blueberries. The first impression was, "fruity?" Yeah it is there but the fruit flavors are definitely balanced along with the hops and malts. Malty with a hint of coffee and cocoa. With the balance between smooth maltiness and coffee/chocolate I can understand the comparisons to a porter or scotch ale. Reflecting on the first sentence I am now paying more attention to the blueberries and they seem to be rearing their round heads even more in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - smooth

Overall - A good beer. Not something I want to buy again but worth trying as the the balance between fruit, malt, and hops was solid. It goes down easy as the high alcohol is well masked. Could be a good transition for someone into fruit/veg beers as it is very drinkable.

*disclaimer - my taste critique is impaired since I have no sense of smell and I imagine the sense of blueberries beforehand plays a large role in the flavor and feel

07-25-2011 03:48:39 | More by abrethanson
Zorro

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Disclaimer before I start I REALLY love Blueberries so I might not be as objective as I might be otherwise.

Viscous dark brown colored beer with a tall brown colored head.

Blueberries hit you the moment you pop the cap. Smells strongly of patent malt and blueberries. Smells a little floral and soapy with some smoke and coffee in the mix. Pretty much this is a Blueberry Porter by scent.

Starts out sweet and smoky with just a little blueberry. Bittersweet flavor but not intensely so. Blueberry is just a nuance to a quite well made Porter. No real nuances here just a good bittersweet ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is a good Porter with blueberries in it. If you buy it for the blueberry aspect you will be disappointed. Buy this as a quite good Porter.

07-24-2011 02:09:49 | More by Zorro
tigg924

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, hazy, dark reddish-brown in color, high carbonation

Smell: blueberry, chocolate, earth, and roasted malt

Taste: deep roasted malt and coffee to start, with a very earthy middle, and the sweet but natural blueberries that shine through on the end.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, bitter in a malty roasty way with sweetness at the end, high carbonation

Drinkability: I am generally not a fan of Shipyard, but I have to give them credit with this one. I think this innovative brew is their best. I would get this one again. The bulk of the beer is a good Scotch ale. The blueberries really come through at the end and seem natural and not cloying. Somehow this works. Kind of like DarkHorse’s Tres with more of a Scotch base beer than a stout. I prefer DH’s better but this is certainly one I will come back to.

07-21-2011 13:15:07 | More by tigg924
DovaliHops

Very interesting concept. Pours a dark black with a small cream colored head that disappears quickly. Scent is initially strong blueberries with hints of boozy alcohol. Then I get some typical scotch ale malt aromas with hints of chocolate and coffee. Taste first reminds me of a strong scotch all...then the coffee and chocolate kick in. The blueberry is not as present in the taste as it is in the aroma, but it is there (especially as it warms up..then it becomes very noticeable). There are some hop flavors at the end, followed by more blueberry, caramel malt, and some fruity hop flavors. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, but not as syrupy as I was expecting. Kinda a bitter finish. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this beer is very unique and unlike anything I have ever had before. I was hoping for it to be a little more well-balance, but it is a tasty beer.

07-20-2011 06:09:11 | More by DovaliHops
jzeilinger

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a deep chocolate blue color, a one pinky expresso colored head and no carbonation. The head dies down rather quickly and leaves a creamy thick lacing ring around the top.

S - Chocolate malt powder and blueberries are the main attraction in the nose, there's also a little hint of roasted malt.

T - Wonderful taste taste that isn't complex or flashy, just a straightforward blend of coffee, chocolate, and blueberries. A tart twang of blueberry meets the tongue up front which is then followed by a wave of roasted coffee and chocolate.

M - Heavy medium body that leaves a coating of chocolate blueberries and a mild citric bitterness.

O - This is a very unique beer and ever since I heard about Shipyard releasing this beer, I've been waiting and watching for it. The beer isn't sweet at all and the blueberries are there for character and a nice complementing nuance at that.

07-17-2011 01:55:04 | More by jzeilinger
SunDevilBeer

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Admittedly, I am not a Shipyard fan. I dislike the buttery diacetyl taste present in most of their beers.

I was at a bar recently an noticed this beer on draft. Curiosity got the best of me.

Half the value of this beer is in its appearance and smell. Black, and smell of buttery, caramelly blueberry. Kinda like blueberry pancakes.

The sweetness is subdued in the taste. This is more like a scotch ale with a blueberry essence. Very boozy, but not overwhelmingly so.

A really interesting beer. Glad I tried it.

07-16-2011 01:04:47 | More by SunDevilBeer
VelvetExtract

#300 Hope its at least above average

A-After reading the back and seeing this beer being described as a 'mix between a Porter and a Scotch Ale' I was interested. This beer pours very dark and a bit thick. A cream head with an almost blue undertone sits atop the brew. I like how this looks.

S-This one has a gigantic whiff of blueberries right off the bat. Smells like blueberry yogurt! Underneath the plethora of blueberries, there is a bit of dark maltiness. However, this one is almost all blueberries.

T-This is a very unique taste. A blueberry blitz strikes first. The headliner is backed by a dose of chocolate. Also there is a clear hop presence. A 'one of a kind flavor'. The taste definitely has grown on my since the first sip. Taste in a nutshell: Blueberry yogurt with chocolate chips sprinkled in.

M-Creamy and quite thick. Slick feel. The carbonation is slight. But the feel is good.

O/D-At first sip, I was not very happy. But this one grew on me quickly. I am happy I finally bought a bomber of this. Blueberries are not my favorite fruit but I do enjoy them. I love how this is a big, dark brew. I can only compare this to Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry stout. I do believe I like that beer better. This is pretty damn fun however. Well worth a try.

M-

07-11-2011 00:15:33 | More by VelvetExtract
celticfutblclub

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

nice blackish blue body (maybe the blues just in my mind but it looks kinda like theres a blue tint to that blackness. soft beige head floats on top with good retention but minimal lacing. the nose is deep with caramel, cream, molasses, blueberries (not as strong as i imagined it would be but thats nice given everything else thats going on). the back of the bottle states this is a hybrid porter/scotch ale and my god have they nailed it perfectly. sweet malts, molasses, peat, blueberries. a full bodied brew this finishes nicely with a great dry hop bitterness. overall this is one brilliantly conceived beer. this was an ambitious project and could of been derailed by any number of factors but they just nailed everything.

07-06-2011 23:58:56 | More by celticfutblclub
billab914

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz bottle into a Shipyard glass. Almost black in color with a frothy tan head filling the top inch of the glass. Pretty good head retention to it as I drank it.

The aroma shows a good dose of the blueberry flavors mixing with a bitter-sweet chocolate, moderately roasty, porter like flavor. Pretty decent aroma overall for a blueberry flavored beer.

The taste has more of the blueberry coming through up front. Midway more of the bitter-sweet chocolate, roasty, slightly burnt flavors start to take over. The blueberry is pretty nice in that it doesn't overpower the beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a pretty decent beer of the style. I liked how the blueberry was more of a complimenting flavor and I was happy it didn't overpower the beer.

07-03-2011 21:28:38 | More by billab914
Hibernator

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry
Pugsley's Signature Series
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

* 4th of July Weekend 2011 *

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a khaki colored head. The bottom of the glass appears more of a ruby color. A nice looking head forms on top with significant lacings.

Pleasant aroma with whiffs of malt and freshly baked sugar cookies with a blueberry fragrance.

A chewy malt backbone is evident from the start with chocolate notes. There is a buttery, Werther's Original flavor as well. Must be the Shipyard yeast. This flavor is controlled and adds to the beer. The sip finishes with a blueberry puree that has a sweet & tart quality. There is a nice hop snap on the finish too.

This is really interesting, I don't think I've ever had a Porter/Scotch Ale with a prominent fruit presence. I had this beer yesterday on tap at Fat Cat (Quincy, MA) for the first time and really enjoyed it.

An extremely smooth and drinkable beer. This 9% ABV is ridiculously well hidden. An interesting offering from Shipyard and way better than I was expecting.

07-02-2011 17:40:11 | More by Hibernator
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

"Hybrid between a Porter and a Scotch Ale" with blueberries? This should be interesting. 22oz bomber purchased at Hannaford in Derry and split with BA CheckMate.

Pours a hazy dark brown body with about an inch of khaki-colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Fresh blueberries and (surprise!) butter comprise the aroma. Woah, that's complex! The blueberry hits the palate first followed in quick succession by butterscotch, chocolate, peat-smoke, coffee, with the smoke and coffee dominating the finish and aftertaste. Medium-to-full in both body and carbonation. A bit of a sipper, but the carbonation helps make the beer somewhat more quaff-able.

Not quite sure what to make of this one. Not the cloying fruit bomb I was expecting, which is a good thing. Super complex to be sure, but the flavors harmonize well with each other for the most part. The butter/butterscotch flavor could stand to be dialed back a bit. If I did not know this beer was supposed to taste/smell like blueberries (note on the label "malt beverage with NATURAL FLAVOR" - emphasis mine), I'm not sure I would have picked that out necessarily since there's so much else going on here. One of the better beers of the series. I might get this one again.

07-01-2011 21:16:25 | More by MrHurmateeowish
Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.