1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-11-2011)
3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a dark reddish brown with nearly no head. Tons of blueberry in the nose, with light hops and sweet caramel. Malty flavor up front with tons of blueberry. Fades to chocolate bitterness to balance the malt. Silky feel in mouth, not too heavy, similar to a porter.

This is definitely different than what I expected and I actually like a fruit beer for once. Although it was better than most raspberry or peach beers out there, I still wouldn't have it often, but it's good to mix up the pace while not totally throwing off your palate.

Philousa, Aug 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

S- on tap into a pint glass

A - Pours a very dark brown almost black with nice head that lasts

S - Smells very light of blueberries and more of the porter it is intended to be

T - was bit of a disappointment as I was expecting more blueberry as I would with the pumpkin in the smashed pumpkin but it was still pretty well rounded with a chocolate and coffee back

M - very nice carbonation all the way through that is perfect for the taste and not overwhelming

Overall this was a good beer and tastes like a porter should, I was just expecting more after having the smashed pumpkin

Brysky, Aug 13, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Asked the bartender for a sample, as I'm always leery of some "fruit" beers, and had never had a Shipyard brew. The nose was a faint, over ripen blueberry (very good) and was encouraging. The first taste was an coating of bittersweet chocolate, with a coffee afternotes.

Based on my first impressions, I asked for a glass (a 12 oz pour into a goblet.). The head was a nice quarter inch rich sienna forth that sustained in the glass during the entire quaff. In the larger glass the blueberry aroma was in more muted. The dark umber liquid was had a lovely silky mouthfeel and I noted a pleasant, slightly sweet maltiness the more drank. Overall a very pleasant interlude, and the fact that I'm vacationing in Maine in two weeks means a side trip to Portland to investigate Shipyard brews on their home turf.

rpm1956, Aug 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

22oz dark brown bottle. No freshness date.
Served in a Piraat snifter.
The color is an unusual purple-hued dark mahogany. Minor particles of what I assume is blueberry pulp floats in a thin layer just beneath the tannish head.
Smells of mixed berries, roasted malt, resinous hops and boozy alcohol blend together. A slight floral scent inches forward. The smell of blueberries is there, but not jumping out.
The flavors mirror the aromas. Certainly fruit cup loaded with tart blueberries is upfront. Fruited vodka and mixed hops mingle with a solid malty taste. The sweetness is just about right.
I should be sipping and swigging, but find myself slugging and gulping. Oh oh!
Not at all what I expected...and that's good for my tastes.
Good job Alan Pugsley! Very bold brew!

BeerResearcher, Aug 11, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. BLUEBERRY BEER WAR!!!! 3 of 3!

Very light tan to cocoa light head uniform very nicely forming and even and tight. Perhaps about three solid fingers off the pour giving to a nice what looks black body but comes off as more dark brown walnut with gorgeous red hues on the edges.

Bouquet is a nice light blueberry but also a dominant malt and milk chocolate roastiness. Just wonderful.

Taste is a nice chocolaty malt backbone with a slight creamy feeling. Nice blueberry sweetness with a little bit of light sugars in the palate. Juicy. Coffee like roast character on the finish.

Overall, it's blueberry, chocolate cake, and roast coffee all rolled into one, with a drink in your hand. Some things I have from Shipyard are not good, this is NOT one of them, wonderful job here, great beer they made here.

smakawhat, Aug 09, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Smashed blueberry pours into a deep deep dark purple/blue color. No light permeates through. Head quickly recedes as traces of lacing are present at the top. So far, so good. I'm really enjoying the appearance of this.

I get an initial whiff of blueberries. I sniff again & then I smell a subtle sweetness that reminds me of blueberry pie. I smell the "scotch ale" factor a tad bit.

Tastes like a very tart blueberry pie. I'm tasting something slightly bitter. There is a hint of alcohol with each sip I taste.

Carbonation is higher than I had expected, however it goes down fairly easy. The porter-like body of the beer is complemented by the tartness of the berries. Mmm. Pretty yummy. Tingles the senses a bit.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I'm not a fan of scotch ales however the combination of the two styles (porter & scotch ale) really stands out in my mind as it brings out the best qualities of the fruit used in this beer. Delish. Hopefully I can try the Smashed Pumpkin :-D

capella, Aug 08, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Defintly interesting. I get the porter/scotch description. Fair enough. This is a great dessert beer. Lots of scotch ale qualities with a healthy helping of raw blueberry flavors. Very dry finish no residual sweetness what so ever which was nice. Grab a piece of chocolate cake or cheesecake. This is the perfect dessert or cold weather beer.

CampusCrew, Aug 07, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

I absolutely loved the aged smashed pumpkin that I had last fall so I am expecting greatness from this one.

A-Cherry cola with garnet at the edges and a thick tan head that settles rapidly and laces decently. Near filtered clarity where light comes through.

S-Nose is blueberry, roasted chicory, mocha, and a slight soap note.

T-Wow!. The first thing that hits you is the nearly unholy decadence of the creaminess of this beer. Sweet blueberries and scotch ale clearly open the palate. Roasted mocha and chicory carry through from the nose, and mix with desiccated dark fruits and figs that lead to an astringent clean finish with a mild sting of finish hops that leaves almost a barrel-aged smoke residue on the palate. As this brew warms, it opens up in new ways, and the levels of flavor and complexity get more nuanced. Clearly a high abv brew, but never does the blueberry interfere with the experience or dominate it...it simply enhances it. Superb.

M-Well balanced mouthfeel, creamy with well balanced carbonation.

O-(the former "drinkability" category) This very much blew me away. Pugsley says this is a porter/scotch ale enhanced by blueberries and the whole clearly exceeds the sum of its parts. I can't help but think that this combination results in something very near a Belgian quad with a different yeast profile. Once in awhile I get surprised....this was the second beer this calendar year that blew me away (the first was Cigar City's Bolita Brown...but that is the subject of another review....)

caddybuyer, Aug 06, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Big thanks to CoastieSimon for bringing this over. The brew pours a deep brown-black hue and is topped with a fairly big mocha head, depositing rings of lace and generally appearing like a good Stout or Porter. The nose suggests blueberry intensely and immensely from an arm's length, but as I get up to the glass, it is much more sublime or intricately nuanced than initially expected. There are delicious roasty notes of cappuccino, toffee and molasses as well as a fair share of jammy and vinous dark fruit in addition to the berry notes. The roasty, toffee- and coffee-tinged elements of the brew are more directly experienced in the flavor, although blueberry is still a significant feature. Great balance and a creamy mouthfeel round out the overview of this exceptional take on a fruit beer.

ktrillionaire, Aug 06, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Let me start out by saying that calling this a fruit beer is wrong my eyes. It says right on it that it's a porter and scotch ale with blueberry flavor. So I'll treat it as such.

A - Pours a dark brown with caramel head that sits at the top for quite some time before relaxing to just a thin halo for the duration.

S - Smells, well, like a porter and a scotch ale with a bit of blueberry. So, as they described it, it's spot on.

T - Well, taste is exactly what I would expect. The blueberry is present, but faint. The porter section is delicious, a bit of coffee and a bit of chocolate. The scotch runs through with a bit of smokiness.

M - The carbonation is spot on with this beer. It's enough to totally fill your mouth with the flavor, without overwhelming with carbonation.

Overall, this is a cool beer. Like I said, calling this a fruit beer is just wrong. Calling it what it is, this is a good beer.

gdrydenc, Aug 05, 2011

was surprised with this. my brother in law brought it up from florida and i tried it last weekend in a tasting glass.

poured out a dark brownish black like color that you could swear had something else going on in there. nice tight head formed on top.

aroma is charred malts, berries, hints of caramel and light vanilla and splash of berry. really comes in waves, at first i could pick it p quite nicely but it seemed to fade on me and then it was a nice malt driven porter like beer, interesting things going on here for sure. lots of fruit in the taste but it seemed odd in a way that is hard to place completely. smooth finish left little in the wake.

overall interesting and one of the better offerings from them

mikesgroove, Aug 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours dark brown with a white head that dies down to a lacing around the beer.

Smell- sweet malt, roasted chocolate and oh yes blueberries. Nothing smells super strong and all the smells are faint.

Taste- money!! It tastes like a well cooked blueberry muffin. I get more of a roasted malt, blueberries, and a back end of chocolate with hints more of blueberries.

Overall- its a very well done beer by ship yard, but the smashed pumpkin is still my favorite of the series.

badboyrsl84, Aug 02, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Who is the mad scientist responsible for this brew? Billed as a fruit/porter/scotch ale hybrid, Smashed Blueberry is all that.

The scent of blueberries is powerful. I smelled it as the barkeep pushed my pint across the bar to me, the scent getting stronger as I lifted the glass to my mouth (almost no head by the time the beer reached me).

Unlike so many fruit beers, the taste of blueberries is pungent, balancing nicely with what my tongue initially perceived to be a brown ale, with a distinct chocolate smokiness following. There was little to no taste of alcohol.

A most unique and tasty beer.

Vanlingleipa, Aug 01, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a beautiful dark blue with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks like a mix of grape or blueberry juice.

Sweet, roasty(?) with a faint hint of artificial blueberry. Hardly there at all.

Hot, sweet and certainly resembles an unholy cross between a scotch ale and porter. After a while, the blueberry disappears, giving way to some roasted coffee, chocolate and peat flavors.

The alcohol heat makes it a bit difficult to enjoy. There's still a mess because the styles have been smashed (pun intended) together in one brew.

I don't like it that much. It's not horrible and perhaps you could cellar it (I would recommend it). Otherwise, don't waste $8.49 on another bomber.

Brad007, Aug 01, 2011

The beer pours a dark brown/black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has your typical porter scent; roasted, earthy black malts with some chocolate malt balance. The blueberry aroma is tart and refreshing. The taste is good as well. It has a solid malt base consisting of dry, earthy, roasted malts as well as some crystal/chocolate malts for some added sweetness. The blueberry character is mild and compliments the malt bill. It goes down smooth with little indication of this being a 9% abv beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good to great fruit beer. It's a nice take on the porter style along with an adequate/not over the top blueberry addition.

WesWes, Jul 31, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours almost black with just a hint of light coming through at the edges. There is a finger of tan head that fades away to just a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Really nice. The first thing that hits you is the smell of sweet, natural blueberry, go figure. In the background there is some roast, but the fruit really dominates.

Taste: There is a lot going on here. The blueberry hits the tongue first, but it's not nearly as dominant as it was in the smell. After that, there is a bitter roast that just comes out of nowhere, but it's a very welcome addition to the party. Finally, there is a hoppy blueberry finish with a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium. The carbonation seemed to be a tad high, and the finish is a bit slick.

Overall: I really liked the flavor combination here. The roast with the fruit was well balanced. I would have another.

oline73, Jul 31, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pour is a light porter with a healthy sticky tan head.

S: Aromas of sweet artificial blueberry smells, sweet scotch ale characteristics of butterscotch, deep roasted malts and patent malt from the porter mixture.

T: This is a nice beer. I was really surprised at all of the different flavors in here, each battling it out for the crown of who is in control. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy this beer it is not quite balanced. I do commend the beer for putting all of these different characteristics together under one roof. It is definitely a nice mixture of beer; each flavor popping its head out to say hi.

M: Slightly boozy and light for 9% abv, medium carbonation and a light body.

O: Pretty good. I would drink it again, which I probably would not do with all of the Pugsley line. This is a slight mess, but interesting.

alpinebryant, Jul 30, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a light tan head with solid lacing and retention.

S- The blueberry notes are very strong in this beer. In fact, I got a strong whiff of them the instant I opened the bottle. The blueberry notes in the aroma remind me more of the blueberry scented markers that I remember using as a kid in school than actual fresh blueberries. Behind the blueberries, I can pick up some chocolate and a touch of alcohol.

I will say that the aroma opens up quite a bit as the beer warms in the glass and the chocolate and coffee notes become a little more prevalent which is a good thing.

T- The taste is very sweet with some chocolate and coffee up front with the blueberries coming in towards the finish and some warmth from the alcohol as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Smashed Blueberry was more of an interesting beer that i was glad to have tried because I have never tried a beer quite like it before. With that said, I don't think I would purchase it again. The blueberry flavors are too artificial and the sweetness was a little too much for me.

cjgator3, Jul 30, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Serving type was 22 oz bomber bottle. Poured into a pint glass. The aroma was amazing. First whiff was of blueberries but as the beer opened up, chocolate and coffee emerged. Taste was amazing. Very similer to the nose. Blueberries, followed by chocolate and a touch of roasted coffee on the finish. As the beer opened up the chocolate became more pronounced. Mouthfeel is good. I love this beer! It has quickly become one of my favs!

FLBeerGal, Jul 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at World of Beer, Sarasota FL

Poured deep, dark brown with a scant off-white head. No lacing, but with a beer this high in alcohol, I'm not surprised. Garnet hues in the light. Very pretty. Unexpected color tones for a blueberry beer.

The blueberry is quite prominent. Not the fake kind either, I get a ton of sweet berries followed by a mysterious porter-like chocolate and very nice caramel/treacle undertones. Alcohol is not detected in the nose. Very inviting.

A sweet forefront of blueberries, blackberries, toffee, and barley. A blend of Belgian dark chocolate and toast follows, then finishing with blueberry dark chocolate and chocolate covered expresso beans. This is pretty much a blueberry imperial porter, but you'll never tell it's imperial because the alcohol is so well hidden.

A medium rich body akin to that of a nice English porter. Carbonation is well done, not too bitey, not too flat. It actually accentuates the body and brings out the fruity notes a bit.

Overall, a very well done beer. Flavors are assertive and well expressed, yet not overdone. Not cloying at all. This is one I will seek out. Thank you, Shipyard, for finally making a beer of which I am a huge fan. I will seek this out in bottled form.

DmanGTR, Jul 28, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A-pours a blue black with a fingers worth of tan head that sticks to the glass

S-the minute you open the beer the blueberry smell explodes, malt and brown sugar round it out

T-taste is not as heavy on blueberries as the smell was, but they are still very much in charge and give a nice sweetness to the beer. Roasted malt and a bitter coffee like taste finish it out.

M-medium to full body, moderate carbonation, dry and smooth

Overall I usually don't go for the fruity beers but this one is very good and has a nice, interesting balance of a porter/scotch and fruit beer

ksimons, Jul 27, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Union Brewhouse, the best taproom on Boston's South Shore.

I actually canceled my plans today so that I could come back and taste this beer again, it was so intriguing yesterday.

Pours very dark with a thin espresso colored head.

The aroma is blueberries and then some.

But the blueberries do not carry the taste. This is first and foremost a porter with the blueberries just adding the natural caramel sweetness. Calling this a fruit beer is very misleading.

Once again, like he has done with the Pugsley's Smashed Pumpkin and his take on Barleywine, Alan Pugsley has created on of the most amazing beers of the year here. Then flavors are complex, 9% ABV is there, but not boozy there and the flavors keep calling you back for more.

beer4colin, Jul 26, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

First impression - not what I expected. Light intentions on the fruit, smooth and just a good beer.

Appearance - Light frothy head that dissipates quickly. Dark/cola appearance like a stout or porter. Nothing overly impressive but definitely surprised me as I was not expecting it to be so dark... But I also did not read until after that it was similar to a porter.

Smell - I have no sense of smell but was told that it smells like a beer. Did not hear a comment on the blueberries.

Taste - The more I drink the less I notice the blueberries. The first impression was, "fruity?" Yeah it is there but the fruit flavors are definitely balanced along with the hops and malts. Malty with a hint of coffee and cocoa. With the balance between smooth maltiness and coffee/chocolate I can understand the comparisons to a porter or scotch ale. Reflecting on the first sentence I am now paying more attention to the blueberries and they seem to be rearing their round heads even more in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - smooth

Overall - A good beer. Not something I want to buy again but worth trying as the the balance between fruit, malt, and hops was solid. It goes down easy as the high alcohol is well masked. Could be a good transition for someone into fruit/veg beers as it is very drinkable.

*disclaimer - my taste critique is impaired since I have no sense of smell and I imagine the sense of blueberries beforehand plays a large role in the flavor and feel

abrethanson, Jul 25, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Disclaimer before I start I REALLY love Blueberries so I might not be as objective as I might be otherwise.

Viscous dark brown colored beer with a tall brown colored head.

Blueberries hit you the moment you pop the cap. Smells strongly of patent malt and blueberries. Smells a little floral and soapy with some smoke and coffee in the mix. Pretty much this is a Blueberry Porter by scent.

Starts out sweet and smoky with just a little blueberry. Bittersweet flavor but not intensely so. Blueberry is just a nuance to a quite well made Porter. No real nuances here just a good bittersweet ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is a good Porter with blueberries in it. If you buy it for the blueberry aspect you will be disappointed. Buy this as a quite good Porter.

Zorro, Jul 24, 2011

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, hazy, dark reddish-brown in color, high carbonation

Smell: blueberry, chocolate, earth, and roasted malt

Taste: deep roasted malt and coffee to start, with a very earthy middle, and the sweet but natural blueberries that shine through on the end.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, bitter in a malty roasty way with sweetness at the end, high carbonation

Drinkability: I am generally not a fan of Shipyard, but I have to give them credit with this one. I think this innovative brew is their best. I would get this one again. The bulk of the beer is a good Scotch ale. The blueberries really come through at the end and seem natural and not cloying. Somehow this works. Kind of like DarkHorse’s Tres with more of a Scotch base beer than a stout. I prefer DH’s better but this is certainly one I will come back to.

tigg924, Jul 21, 2011
Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.