Shipyard IPA - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard IPAShipyard IPA

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 07-01-2001)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard IPA Alström Bros
corporatehuman1

There is nothing good about this beer. It's unfortunate, I'm a big fan of Shipyard Export, I've visited their brewery in Portland, Maine, so I figured I'd try their IPA. Don't make that mistake.

From the first taste there is nothing good about it. It's old and stagnant. Painful even. I bought a whole sixer and struggled to drink each and every one. Drinking it was like climbing a summit, each sip worst than the last, until finally you get to the very top and there is no vista, just some big factory, belching out polluting smoke. Yes it still gets you drunk...so it does have that going for it.

Needless to say, I do not recommend this beer. I won't list the categories because every one I rated the same; awful.

07-01-2011 00:18:51 | More by corporatehuman1

02-15-2012 01:57:51 | More by jfcaa193
SilentSabre

North Dakota

1.53/5  rDev -52.9%

Not a very good example of the style. A very aggressive pour yields a head that should come from a typical pour. Fair head retention. Very sticky lacing. THAT looks nice...but that's really all it has going for as far as being visually appealing. Smells sweet like cake batter. Yes, I said cake batter. Absolutely nothing like an IPA. There may be a tiny trace amount of hops hiding in the very back of the smell. This is the most peculiar IPA I have ever had. There is some hop bitterness in the taste, but it's woven around a handful of other things that I cannot readily identify. Almost has a medicine like taste to it in the middle. So far, this is a terrible example of the style, IMO. The mouthfeel seems a bit heavy for the style, and the carbonation level is totally not where it should be. Perhaps there's someone out there who really enjoies this, but I absolutely do not care for this which I consider a pitiful excuse for the style.

03-30-2006 02:41:18 | More by SilentSabre
BB1313

1.73/5  rDev -46.8%

Best before October, 2012. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours and golden orange, slight haze, really nice fluffy white head and nice lacing and retention. Looks great, but unfortunately that's about it. I'll say it right now, this beer isn't good. I didn't have high expectations at all and I wasn't expecting much, but damn. I like fuggle hops too. The aromas are full of malts and has an astringent breadiness. Smells like a white cake. No hops present in the nose at all. Barely any hops in the flavors either. There's alot of diacetyl going on, which I usually really enjoy, but not in this case. There's a sweetness going on, but far from cloying. There's a decent spiciness, but the flavors seem pretty watered down. There's an earthiness which gives it some life, barely. This beer just isn't working for me. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's on the lighter side with a nice amount of carbonation. Alcohol clearly goes unnoticed. Goes down easy, but not really enjoyable.

This makes poor IPAs I've had in the past taste like Hopslam. Reguardless of it being English or not.. it just doesn't do it. This is possibly the worst beer I've ever had. Definitely the worst score I've given on BA. I don't feel like this should be the worst beer I've ever had, but it's making a run for the title. It's far from offensive, but it's a HUGE slap in the face to the IPA style. Pass on this if you're ever considering giving it a shot. This is exactly why I buy singles.

05-30-2012 23:06:38 | More by BB1313

08-04-2012 10:47:05 | More by soroka24
JEdmund

Kansas

1.85/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance
Clear, light orange/yellow; little to no carbonation bubbles; 1/2" head

Aroma
Not impressive...smells like malt liquor strangely and unfortunately enough

Taste & Mouthfeel
Somewhat fruity and very low on hops; overall very flat and one-dimensional; disappointing

Overall
I normally don't pitch beers, but I did with this one. There's not much flavor here, but what is present is very unpleasant. I know they were going for an English style IPA, but this is just so lifeless and borderline offensive. I think they fell short of their goal.

04-16-2008 18:27:27 | More by JEdmund
nrbw23

1.98/5  rDev -39.1%

A- Pours clear orange color with a thin white head. Head had very little retentioin and left pretty much no lacing.

S- Smell is a bit of malty sweetness, a very odd flowery smell and a terrible perfume smell.

T- Wow I'm sorry but this was terrible. Followed the nose and was just dreadful. A terrible buttery flavour.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seemed to be okay.

D- I struggled very badly with this one. I don't think I'll ever try this one again.

08-17-2010 08:02:33 | More by nrbw23

12-05-2011 21:38:30 | More by TrickkyGangsta
yankeeheel

Maine

2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

Let me say right off the bat that I love Shipyard....until this beer. Just a poor offering in this style. Yes IPA's a re hoppy and bitter, but this was just horrible. Mouthfeel was bad, taste was poor, maybe I got a bad bottle? Almost tasted unfinished. Think I'll stick to the export ale or old thumper.

08-03-2003 18:09:53 | More by yankeeheel
Buggabeer

2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle poured into 16oz glass.

A. Has a Hazy Orangish Amber look with a very weak head. There is a nice lacing around the glass as I drink it.

S. Very Lack luster for an IPA. Where is the hops aroma?? I smell more malt with the aroma of old cheap wine.

T. Below average. It is missing that Hops taste. It's like raw bread dough. I can taste the yeast in this.

M. It is a little watery.

D. I don't know if this is past its date but I do not want to finish what I have. Very disappointed

10-21-2010 21:27:50 | More by Buggabeer
gatornation

2.1/5  rDev -35.4%

this IPA pours nicely..has the amber color of an ipa good head and lacing... downhill from this the smell is of kerosene i dont know what else i detect faint hops some malt.. the taste is just as bad no floral citrus no herb/hop just an old smelly/tastng beer that you stole from your dad when you were 16 .. this is the worse IPA Ive reviewed ..thank god i bought a single.. its a drainer dont try this one

04-16-2009 22:24:50 | More by gatornation
TheSarge

2.1/5  rDev -35.4%

This is the worst interpretation of an IPA I've ever had. It's time to rethink this recipe. The only decent thing about this brew was its appearance, which produced a good amount of head and had a clear amber colored body.

The aromas were lacking the traditional grassy/piny characteristics. Mostly there was a weak malty, toffee like, aroma. Nothing else really stood out.

The tase is very watery and weak. Pretty much just a buttery toffee like taste, and the hops were hardly detectable.

Again, please rethink this recipe. We know Shipyard is a well established brewery, but do us a favor. Either change your proportions of ingredients or rename this an ESB and you may be on par with this one.

08-26-2007 09:13:54 | More by TheSarge
BigMike

2.1/5  rDev -35.4%

Pours a pale cloudy orange color with a two finger head.

Not much of a nose with this one. I get a light spicyness and light floral but not much else.

I don't know what to say about the flavor. Not really much of anything going on here. It's got a slight bitterness but nothing really i can put my finger on.

This is a really unimpressive beer. Overly carbonated and underflavored.

Not a good beer by any means.

04-14-2009 02:34:41 | More by BigMike
Shipyard IPA from Shipyard Brewing Co.