Shipyard Fuggles IPA - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Fuggles IPAShipyard Fuggles IPA

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 07-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shipyard Fuggles IPA Alström Bros

There is nothing good about this beer. It's unfortunate, I'm a big fan of Shipyard Export, I've visited their brewery in Portland, Maine, so I figured I'd try their IPA. Don't make that mistake.

From the first taste there is nothing good about it. It's old and stagnant. Painful even. I bought a whole sixer and struggled to drink each and every one. Drinking it was like climbing a summit, each sip worst than the last, until finally you get to the very top and there is no vista, just some big factory, belching out polluting smoke. Yes it still gets you drunk...so it does have that going for it.

Needless to say, I do not recommend this beer. I won't list the categories because every one I rated the same; awful.

1.54/5  rDev -53.2%

Not a very good example of the style. A very aggressive pour yields a head that should come from a typical pour. Fair head retention. Very sticky lacing. THAT looks nice...but that's really all it has going for as far as being visually appealing. Smells sweet like cake batter. Yes, I said cake batter. Absolutely nothing like an IPA. There may be a tiny trace amount of hops hiding in the very back of the smell. This is the most peculiar IPA I have ever had. There is some hop bitterness in the taste, but it's woven around a handful of other things that I cannot readily identify. Almost has a medicine like taste to it in the middle. So far, this is a terrible example of the style, IMO. The mouthfeel seems a bit heavy for the style, and the carbonation level is totally not where it should be. Perhaps there's someone out there who really enjoies this, but I absolutely do not care for this which I consider a pitiful excuse for the style.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

Best before October, 2012. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours and golden orange, slight haze, really nice fluffy white head and nice lacing and retention. Looks great, but unfortunately that's about it. I'll say it right now, this beer isn't good. I didn't have high expectations at all and I wasn't expecting much, but damn. I like fuggle hops too. The aromas are full of malts and has an astringent breadiness. Smells like a white cake. No hops present in the nose at all. Barely any hops in the flavors either. There's alot of diacetyl going on, which I usually really enjoy, but not in this case. There's a sweetness going on, but far from cloying. There's a decent spiciness, but the flavors seem pretty watered down. There's an earthiness which gives it some life, barely. This beer just isn't working for me. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's on the lighter side with a nice amount of carbonation. Alcohol clearly goes unnoticed. Goes down easy, but not really enjoyable.

This makes poor IPAs I've had in the past taste like Hopslam. Reguardless of it being English or not.. it just doesn't do it. This is possibly the worst beer I've ever had. Definitely the worst score I've given on BA. I don't feel like this should be the worst beer I've ever had, but it's making a run for the title. It's far from offensive, but it's a HUGE slap in the face to the IPA style. Pass on this if you're ever considering giving it a shot. This is exactly why I buy singles.

1.86/5  rDev -43.5%

Clear, light orange/yellow; little to no carbonation bubbles; 1/2" head

Not impressive...smells like malt liquor strangely and unfortunately enough

Taste & Mouthfeel
Somewhat fruity and very low on hops; overall very flat and one-dimensional; disappointing

I normally don't pitch beers, but I did with this one. There's not much flavor here, but what is present is very unpleasant. I know they were going for an English style IPA, but this is just so lifeless and borderline offensive. I think they fell short of their goal.

2.01/5  rDev -38.9%

A- Pours clear orange color with a thin white head. Head had very little retentioin and left pretty much no lacing.

S- Smell is a bit of malty sweetness, a very odd flowery smell and a terrible perfume smell.

T- Wow I'm sorry but this was terrible. Followed the nose and was just dreadful. A terrible buttery flavour.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seemed to be okay.

D- I struggled very badly with this one. I don't think I'll ever try this one again.

2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

12oz bottle poured into 16oz glass.

A. Has a Hazy Orangish Amber look with a very weak head. There is a nice lacing around the glass as I drink it.

S. Very Lack luster for an IPA. Where is the hops aroma?? I smell more malt with the aroma of old cheap wine.

T. Below average. It is missing that Hops taste. It's like raw bread dough. I can taste the yeast in this.

M. It is a little watery.

D. I don't know if this is past its date but I do not want to finish what I have. Very disappointed

2.1/5  rDev -36.2%

Let me say right off the bat that I love Shipyard....until this beer. Just a poor offering in this style. Yes IPA's a re hoppy and bitter, but this was just horrible. Mouthfeel was bad, taste was poor, maybe I got a bad bottle? Almost tasted unfinished. Think I'll stick to the export ale or old thumper.

2.11/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a pale cloudy orange color with a two finger head.

Not much of a nose with this one. I get a light spicyness and light floral but not much else.

I don't know what to say about the flavor. Not really much of anything going on here. It's got a slight bitterness but nothing really i can put my finger on.

This is a really unimpressive beer. Overly carbonated and underflavored.

Not a good beer by any means.

2.12/5  rDev -35.6%

this IPA pours nicely..has the amber color of an ipa good head and lacing... downhill from this the smell is of kerosene i dont know what else i detect faint hops some malt.. the taste is just as bad no floral citrus no herb/hop just an old smelly/tastng beer that you stole from your dad when you were 16 .. this is the worse IPA Ive reviewed ..thank god i bought a single.. its a drainer dont try this one

2.12/5  rDev -35.6%

This is the worst interpretation of an IPA I've ever had. It's time to rethink this recipe. The only decent thing about this brew was its appearance, which produced a good amount of head and had a clear amber colored body.

The aromas were lacking the traditional grassy/piny characteristics. Mostly there was a weak malty, toffee like, aroma. Nothing else really stood out.

The tase is very watery and weak. Pretty much just a buttery toffee like taste, and the hops were hardly detectable.

Again, please rethink this recipe. We know Shipyard is a well established brewery, but do us a favor. Either change your proportions of ingredients or rename this an ESB and you may be on par with this one.

2.16/5  rDev -34.3%

Constantly seeing their pugsley limited edition uber expensive series, but not having had anything from the brewery, I figured I'd start small. And end small, as this will likely be the last brew I get from them.

Pours a shiny gold with a hint of orange. Big, long lasting white foam head. Smells like skunky, earthy hops. Actually, it smells like a bad ESB. Nothing about the aroma seems IPA-ish in the slightest.

Taste is, again, more ESB than IPA. Just off. Some earthy bittering hops, but no real citrus or pine presence, no tropical notes, and the malt is grainy, artificially sweet. Almost medicinally sweet.

This is not a good beer, at all ... though the mouthfeel is okay.

2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Over-priced. Let's start there with this product. First-time buying a Shipyard product, but won't be buying anymore in the future.

$16.50 for a 12-pack, expecting more at that price-point, when I usually purchase Harpoon IPA at $12.99. Big dissappointment. Felt like I had been HAD the first sip.

I will not be buying again in the future.

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

This beer pours a golden yellow color slightly brown. The head appears off white with a slight yellow tint, also it is thick and fluffy. It fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer smells slightly hoppy. It has a slightly off aroma. It almost smells skunky. I am a little upset about that. I thought it was just the bottle I had, so I poured a second for this review.

This beer has a very slight hop flavor. Maybe I am just used to West Coast IPA's, but I think this one is rather weak. It also has a slightly skunky taste.

This beer leaves a very slight hop aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

I doubt this beer would be a great session beer. It tastes and smells off. I dont think I can drink the rest of the 6 pack.

Overall: I shouldnt have wasted my hard earned money. I was going to get a 6 pack of Stone IPA, and I saw this and hadnt had it before, so I thought "what the hell?" That is what I get for thinking.

2.29/5  rDev -30.4%

Shipyard IPA

Appearance- light hazy orange with a skimpy head that laced the glass and quickly disappeared.
Smell- not much. very light floral hops.
Taste- very VERY watery. a x-tremely watered down IPA. Light floral taste. The typical orange/ lemon rind flavor. Slight apricot mixed in like a #9.
Mouthfeel- water with an ever so slight bitter aftertaste.

Overall- Not a horrible offering but 1 that has so little flavor. The coors light of IPA's or step 1 into the wonderful world of IPA's!

2.29/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Chimay Chalice. Poured a hazy gold with a slight head that disappeared quickly but left a nice lacing down the glass. Aroma is almost non-existent. Slight hoppy/flowery smell but under whelming for sure. Taste is malt up front with a bit of hops at the tail of the beer with a slight earthy aftertaste. I would have thought this might have been sitting at the beer store for a long time, but I saw them offload it from the pallet and put it into the mix a six rack. I was surprised. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation and a dry finish. I don’t think I will be looking for this again.

2.34/5  rDev -28.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Dark, amber-tinged gold with some chill haze and a modest light-beige head that quickly dwindles to a nebulous froth. Smells like an ESB, not an IPA. Earthy, bready, English malts and no hops to be found anywhere. Flavor is much the same. Tastes like Shipyard spiced this beer with bark and random leaves instead of hops. Solid bitterness and decent malt presence, but no appreciable hop flavor. Tannic and dry finish, overcarbonated. What on earth were they thinking?

2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a light copper color from a twelve ounce brown bottle. Head settled quickly. Smell is a mild hop aroma. Don't care much for the taste of this one. Not well balanced, and an aftertaste that I just don't care much for. I won't buy this again, and I won't recommend it to others.

2.36/5  rDev -28.3%

When drank from the bottle it has too much carbonation. When poured it has a large off white head, slightly cloudy gold color, not much aroma. On first taste bitter and astringent not much else going on except for the hopp taste. I would not buy it for the price.

2.36/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours slightly hazy light amber, decent head.

Slightly hoppy aroma, but I really couldn't discern much in taste or aroma in this beer. The hops were just flat and the maltiness didn't really balance well. There is also a strange chemical aftertaste to the beer that isn't very pleasant. Mouthfeel and carbonation were both good though, and the beer is pretty easy to drink.

This is not a very good IPA in my opinion, there are just too many great examples that are just as easy to get.

2.38/5  rDev -27.7%

12oz brown bottle purchased in a six pack at Publix.

Pours a nice, golden hue with a robust, fluffy head which quickly shrinks down to about half a finger. Decent looking brew.

Smell was of a slight hoppiness and carbonation. Not as much hop aroma as I was expecting.

Taste was rather bland, lacked that "bite" that I'm used to with IPAs. Hints of malt with a noticeable, albeit small, hop bitterness.

Overall, this was a bit of a letdown. It was easy to drink, but it was lacking in what I was expecting from and IPA, especially and English-style IPA. Not a bad brew, just not the best.

2.38/5  rDev -27.7%

Gentle pour produces massive foam. I am able to pour less than half of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass because of the soapy white foam. Pours a clear, golden orange color.

Smells of straw and grain. A faint hop smell becomes present when the beer warms up, but it is covered up by a bready smell.

Tastes grainy, and a little malty, but no characteristis of an IPA.

Mouthfeel is okay, thin and highly carbonated. Very dry finish.

2.39/5  rDev -27.4%

Color is a nice dark copper, but it appears over carbonated as the head was out of control and need a few pours to finish out the bottle. Laces great though.

Aroma is rather malty, with a slight citrus backing. There is a yeasty funk that shouldn't be there.

Slight bitter, and citrus with a pronounced malt background. Slightly tart aftertaste.

Despite the bustling head, carbonation feels normal. Slightly slick, and creamy. Light body.

I don't intend to have this again. Not good drinkability.

2.39/5  rDev -27.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass; best by May 2012 on the label. Hazy dark yellow body with a nearly three-finger off-white head. Decent retention and lacing.

The aroma is very strong in floral and herbal notes. Does not bring out the normal citrus, pine, etc., notes expected from hops. But, it must be the Fuggle hops (listed on the label). A very light amount of a pear and sweet malt in the background.

The flavor is actually less than I expected from the aroma. A floral, butterscotch flavor dominates. A little malt in the finish. Not very tasty overall.

Light to medium texture in the mouthfeel. I've had other English IPAs that I liked, but this one is not one of them.

2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

Single 12 oz bottle purchased for $1.33, this is "the single hop India Pale Ale" per label. On to the beer:

I poured perhaps a few ounces of this into my pint glass and got a half-glass of foam. This is where I wish this beer had poor head retention, I'm still waiting for it to go down so I can pour the rest of the bottle in and enjoy. After some manipulations, it forms a chilled-hazed orange with a head that retains well. That's the highlight of this beer, everything else misses the mark. It has a funky flavor of toffee and diacetyl, mixed with a moderate grapefruit taste to level it out. Slick feeling in the mouth, the beer feels good, but the aftertaste is questionable.

Notes: This beer pours way too foamy, is full of yeast by-products, and leaves a long, unspectacular aftertaste. Next time, I'll find something else.

2.44/5  rDev -25.8%

My first Shipyard beer, poured from 12oz. bottle to pint glass. Its a clear deep golden color, with good head that eventually dissipates to a thick lacing. Smell isn't as bright and hoppy as I'm used to from an IPA, it would seem this is more in the English IPA vein than American. There's floral aroma, sweetness, some grass, and a slight funk.

Taste is lightly hoppy, earthy, herbal, spicy, grassy. Learning later that this involved ringwood yeast the butterscotch hint is explained. Diacetyl was managed quite well actually, its a bit out of style, but not overwhelming. There are however some more tart and almost sour notes here that are wholly unappealing. There's very little here that I myself liking.

Mouthfeel is good, well carbonated, but not too much. Drinkability I have to rate low because I just didn't enjoy this beer and don't want another.

Shipyard Fuggles IPA from Shipyard Brewing Co.