Shipyard Applehead - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard AppleheadShipyard Applehead

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: stonermouse on 12-10-2011

Shipyard Applehead is a crisp, refreshing wheat ale with a delightful apple aroma and subtle cinnamon flavor.
1.48/5  rDev -53.6%

As a disclaimer, I love Shipyard, and always will, but... my Lord, oh Mainers from my north, what were you thinking?

The pour gave little to no head, the smell was less apple and more of a stale cider. The slight apple after taste is the best thing I can say about this very dry attempt at a apple ale.

1.49/5  rDev -53.3%

I knew this would happen. I knew someone would leave on of these at my house or I would be stupid enough to buy it. My room mate grabbed me a bottle so thanks goes to Greg. Anyhow, I poured this into a pint glass; one I don't particularly care fore. Pours golden straw with a think cap of spritzy white head. Looks like beer.

Sigh, this has a sweet apple cider aroma with cinnamon and that signature disappointment aroma found in all Shipyard beers. This taste like apple crisp. But old apple crisp. Really old and poorly made. This also slightly resembles a beer with yeast and barley hops and such but those are really just afterthought.

This has a terrible feel. Mostly because of the taste.

This stuff is unholy. I don't think I'll finish this. It's just bad. Save your money gang.

1.58/5  rDev -50.5%

Finally got around to buying one of Shipyard's new fabulous creation. Still can't believe someone thought this was a good idea. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Translucent with a few cascading bubbles. Light burnt orange in color. For a brief moment, there was a thin layer of head. Shockingly, this looks exactly like Pumpkinhead

S: Pumpkinhead and apple jacks... Clearly we have a winner here

T: Ha, they actually managed to make this worse than Pumpkinhead. Just. So. Bland. Watered down, nutmegy flavor is really the only thing I'm picking up. On the plus side, don't really get much diacteyl

M: Thin, watery. Slightly drying aftertaste

D: A wheat beer this is not. My only question is why. Why was this brewed? Why are people buying this? Shipyard is synonymous with fail

1.66/5  rDev -48%

I am not sure what compelled me to check this out other than the fact that I sort of like Pumpkinhead. I have it once a year, a few weeks before Halloween to get it out of my system so I can appreciate some of the better pumpkin beers that are around. Before I drank Applehead, I approached it with the same sort of curiosity and was assuming that I wouldn't have much more than the one pint.

I was right.

This beer tastes similar to Pumpkinhead, but is about a hundred times sweeter. Getting through the pint was very tough. My palette was being assaulted from all angles by the same stuff I would get in a quick coffee shop chai, but carbonated, and with that beer aftertaste. It was not good. The beer looked promising too. Very dark and brown for a wheat ale. Looked very mysterious. Looks can be deceiving.

I'd give Applehead the green light just as long as you can brush and mouthwash completely afterwards, unless you enjoy the feeling that your teeth might rot out of your head. It's just way too over the top, and not in a good way.

I'll stick with my yearly Pumpkinhead.

1.67/5  rDev -47.6%

12oz, best by July 2012.

Clear gold with a thin bubbly head.

Aroma is cloyingly spicy, with notes of cinnamon and allspice. Slightly cider-like, but in the end it just smells like a scented candle. After a while, it almost gives me a headache.

Flavor is thin and light. Effervescent and grainy, with subtle notes of apple. Not too sweet or spicy like the aroma, but there's definitely hints of cake spices in there.

Overall this is as bad as Pumpkinhead. What an abomination. Still, Shipyard will probably make a killing off this beer.

1.81/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

It has the consistency of club soda and the stuff is fizzy. It has the taste of club soda with a few crumbs of apple pie. Overall, it comes across with a weaker apple but stronger cinnamon taste. It is hard to fathom why this ale was produced. Personally, I would rather have a nice slice of home made apple pie for dessert and wash it down with a European style pilsner.

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass. Clearly I'm a glutton for punishment.

A - Pours a clear, light gold with a creamy white head that settles to a decent haze.
S - Apples, cinnamon, and a touch of malt. This smells like applesauce, or perhaps a McDonalds Apple Pie. Not offensive, but definitely artificial smelling.
T - Pretty much what you'd expect from a Shipyard apple beer ; buttery diacetyl, watery grain bill, artificial apple flavoring, and dusty cinnamon & nutmeg. Not as retch-inducing as Pumpkinhead, but still pretty foul.
M - Light and watery, with a thin body and moderate carbonation.
O - Why do I keep doing this to myself? I've not yet had an enjoyable Shipyard brew, I dunno why I though a slapped-together *apple beer* would be any different. Avoid, unless you actually like Pumpkinhead for some reason.

1.93/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance is gold with a nice white foam. The smell is strong with apple and cinnamon, leaving out any hints of beer. Taste is very apple pie, reminds us very much of a cider. The feel on the mouth is very good leaving well and holding the flavor while drinking. Overall this is something you need to be in the mood for. If you are looking for Beer, we say skip the Applehead. This is a great holiday brew. A once in a while type drink. Not our thing.

2.08/5  rDev -34.8%

Ap: Very pretty. Bright orange gold copper color with a foamy appearance. Tiny bit of head and lacing.

Ar: Apples of course with a nice spicy cinnamon. Gingerbread smell. Nothing unexpected. And not very pronounced. Faint.

Ta: It should be called cinnamonhead and not applehead. The cinnamon over powers the apple taste. It remains throughout and the apples are more of an aftertaste. Not very appealing and almost disgusting. Like a mediocre cider/champagne.

Mf: Thin, watery and faint. It's like cheap club soda that was left opened and becomes flat.

Ov: Bland, boring and not worth trying a second time. I let everyone else drink the rest. No thanks.

2.11/5  rDev -33.9%

I was at a company Xmas party, and there was an open bar. I figured I'd try a pint of this, because I knew that I'd never pay for this beer. Orange colored body, with very little head. Not much carbonation, and no lacing. Smelled like a glass of fruit punch, which is not attractive for a beer. Taste was overpowered by the flavor of fake apple concentrate. It completely dominated the beer, and made this beer a one-note joke. Mouthfeel was overly sweet. I don't know why Shipyard would release such a monstrosity of a beer. If they wanted to brew up a cider, then bottle a cider. An apple flavored beer just does not work.

2.19/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

its called applehead where is the apple nonexsistent instead we get horrible spice taste in a waterey beer wanted more. first beer from this brewery may never buy there products again.trying to get this to 250 charcters but cant say much didnt like this and will never buy it again app okay smell taste mouthfeel all poor

2.2/5  rDev -31%

A: The beer is a pale yellow, nearing an orange hue. The head is thin and white, which fades fast. No lacing.

S: There's no real scent. The only thing I pick up, is a faint cinnamon scent.

T: I get a lot of cinnamon flavor. I pick up a little bit of the apple flavor. It tastes like a highly spiced watered down cider. The aftertaste has an apple-chip flavor. It's not too bad, but it is below average for any kind of pale wheat ale. Even for an unclassified beer, it just doesn't have enough flavor.

M: Well the style says it's a pale wheat ale, but it doesn't have the pleasant wheat mouthfeel that normally is there. It is under-carbonated both in the mouth and visible in the glass.

O: I'm pretty disappointed with this beer. The flavor is nearly there, but everything else is just off. The worst part of it, is that I love cider...and I've had tons of ciders that have better body than this beer :(

2.42/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a one finger white head that vanishes quickly to a ring leaving no lace. Chrystal clear light amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Strong spicy apple cider nose, flavor is similar - cinnamon apple cider and sweet. Checked the label to make sure I bought beer - says its an ale. Would make a good lawn mower beverage and not much else. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Bert’s Better Beers Hooksett, NH.

2.45/5  rDev -23.2%

The colour is gold (8 EBC), the liquid is cleat. The beer pours with a fizzing sound, building a two finger off-white head that slowly sinks to nothing, leaving no lacing.

The smell got some wheat sour notes, but it is dominated by the cinnamon flavours. Some red apples makes me think of apple pies.

The taste is dominated by the cinnamon. Hints of red apples, wheat flour and some artificial fruit flavours. The aftertaste brings even more of cinnamon, but also a touch of clean bitterness. The finish got some ripe apples, a mild sweetness and a somewhat metallic bitter hint.

The carbonation is strong yet short, the bubbles small. The liquid is dry and semi-smoot.

To me, this is a very odd beer. I guess that you have to be raised with this apple pie flavours to really appreciate it.

2.53/5  rDev -20.7%

Like a bunch of seltzer water with some apple juice in it, plus a bunch of cinnamon. Weak. Not a lot going on here. Nice smell. But if I really wanted a hard cider, I probably should've just got a hard cider. Not as good as their pumpkin ale. Have yet to be wowed by a Shipyard.

2.56/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It has a light yellow color that is transparent.
The head retains quite well.

It smells sweet, light malt and heavy on the cinnamon. Kinda reminds me of the cereal Apple Jacks. Except Apple Jacks smells better.

It is sweet and malty. Not very good, but not terrible either.

For a wheat ale, it is very watered down, but does have good carbonation and is slightly coarsed.

I do not like it. It was a great effort, but it simply does not taste good. Their Pumpkinhead is much better.

2.68/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My ex-wife knows I'm not that much of a Shipyard fan, but she said she thought I would like this. I think this was another one of her cruel jokes.

Things started out OK. Gold color with a small white head.

Definite aroma of apple, as well as some spice. Fairly sweet.

It tasted like I was drinking an apple pie. I would rather eat one than drink one.

Sweet and cloying mouthfeel.

One and done.

2.72/5  rDev -14.7%

Offered a bottle at a party, and couldn't pass up the opportunity to try this potential mess of a brew. Keeping as open of a mind as possible, I poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pretty pale pour with a solid, regenerating head. Carbonation is a bit heavy.

Aroma is apple-forward, as expected, with some generic fall spice as well. It could definitely be confused with a dry hard cider just by smell.

The taste is dominated by apple and sweetness. Good golly, this thing is sweet, with a touch of granny smith apple sourness. This is a liquified Jolly Rancher. The only thing that differentiates it from a cheapie hard cider is the super-carbonation, and the fact that it finishes clean and not at all sticky like a Cider Jack or some other sugar bomb cider.

Again, the clean finish and lack of stickiness was surprising, but it seems to clean up nice. It tastes like a Jolly Rancher, but doesn't leave your teeth hurting with sugariness.

This beer will certainly appeal to a certain crowd. It's a curious brew, and not one that I will revisit.

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz bottle into a stemless wine glass.

A: orangey copper in color with a finger of white head that recedes quickly. Minimal lacing.

S: Mostly cinnamon and artificial apple (like a glade spray). This is very reminiscent of Pumpkinhead.

T: again fall spice type flavor that includes cinnamon, clove, apple, pumpkin spice. Not a particularly bad taste but I'm not eager to drink again. Aftertaste is bitter and then semi sweet like an apple cider.

M: probably the worst aspect, not special at all. Has carbonation but just feels kind of meh. I think the cinnamon spices through it off a bit.

O: not a terrible beer but I'm not a fan. I do think they've accomplished what they've set out to do. I personally couldn't/wouldn't drink very many of these but I suppose it's easy drinking enough that people could. Don't recommend particularly.

2.76/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- pours a clear golden-yellow color with a small fizzy white head, good retention after the pour

S- it smells like apple cider with a lot of cinnamon notes added, also picking up some funky sulphur aromas

T- seltzer water mixed with cinnamon powder, there is a touch of baked apple flavor that at least gives it some natural flavor, not picking up any beer flavors though

M- light-medium body with low carbonation, sweet, yet moderately dry finish

O- not a fan of this one. I'm all for fruit beers, but they should at least have some beer elements to them

2.76/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a clear light golden color, not much of a head, no lacing

Smell has a good amount of various spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, even a bit of allspice, any apple aromas are certainly lost behind the parade of spice.

Taste comes and goes quickly, the spicing slaps your tongue only to run away immediately, thin body, carbonation is crisp and refreshing.

Instantly forgettable, surprisingly Pumpkinhead blows this once out of the water, which is saying something.

2.77/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very low; it sounds disgusting. Acquired at a local Trader Joe's.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger head of fair cream, decent thickness, and good retention - though the ABV is low. Colour is a transparent bright copper-gold. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Cinnamon and apple. Spicy. A bit like apple pie. Clove. A pleasant, unique aroma - but one that warns of artificial syrup. A strong aroma. No yeast.

T: Overly cinnamony, with some apple. Some spice - clove. Not the artifical syrup I feared. Sugary. The cinnamon is way overdone. Tastes like a cheap apple pie. No real layering. Not as bad as I feared. Neither complex nor subtle, but unique. Clean malts. I like it for what it is, but it ventures towards cider territory. How is this in any way a wheat ale?

Mf: Crisp. Smooth and wet. Tingly and coarse to a degree from the sugar cinnamon overload. Adequately carbonated. Too smooth on the finish.

Dr: Drinkable but the cinnamon appeal quickly fades, leaving a somewhat obnoxiously spicy beer. I wouldn't get this again, nor would I recommend it to friends. A decent beer for the price, but largely forgettable elsewise. It's unique, which makes it worth trying.

Trader Joe's offers better beers (Trader Joe's Vintage comes to mind).

A poor candidate for aging.

High C-

2.78/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Fantastic aroma of apples, can't wait to taste
Appearance- Looks like a mix between apple juice and a lager. Has a small white head.
Taste- Completely disappointing. I actually feel cheated when I compare the aroma to the taste. You can taste cinnamon and maybe a hint of apple, but the beer flavor doesn't appeal to me.
Palate- This is a light bodied beer with moderate carbonation. The finish is dry and crisp.
Overall - This does not even compare to Shipyard's Pumpkin brew. I would not try this again nor recommend it to anyone unless they want to experiment with flavors

2.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is my second beer by these guys. Kind of a cool idea as a follow-up to pumpkin head. Doesn't really work as well though. The apple flavor isn't very strong, which is probably a good thing, if you wanted that you could just go get a hard cider somewhere I suppose. Lighter copper color, apple aroma. Not for me.

2.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Shipyard does many other delicious beers, but they should leave the apple-centric to others who do it better. Oddly, this was dry enough to somewhat remind me of a white wine...and I don't usually go around thinking wine and beer taste the same.

Apple is the background flavor while cinnamon is heavy-handedly up front.

What makes this even more disappointing was that Shipyard released it as a winter seasonal...there is nothing winter about this and that distinction could have been used on something far more interesting.

Shipyard Applehead from Shipyard Brewing Co.