Shipyard Applehead - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard AppleheadShipyard Applehead

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Shipyard Applehead is a crisp, refreshing wheat ale with a delightful apple aroma and subtle cinnamon flavor.

(Beer added by: stonermouse on 12-10-2011)

1.25/5  rDev -59.7%

1.43/5  rDev -53.9%

I knew this would happen. I knew someone would leave on of these at my house or I would be stupid enough to buy it. My room mate grabbed me a bottle so thanks goes to Greg. Anyhow, I poured this into a pint glass; one I don't particularly care fore. Pours golden straw with a think cap of spritzy white head. Looks like beer.

Sigh, this has a sweet apple cider aroma with cinnamon and that signature disappointment aroma found in all Shipyard beers. This taste like apple crisp. But old apple crisp. Really old and poorly made. This also slightly resembles a beer with yeast and barley hops and such but those are really just afterthought.

This has a terrible feel. Mostly because of the taste.

This stuff is unholy. I don't think I'll finish this. It's just bad. Save your money gang.

1.48/5  rDev -52.3%

1.48/5  rDev -52.3%

As a disclaimer, I love Shipyard, and always will, but... my Lord, oh Mainers from my north, what were you thinking?

The pour gave little to no head, the smell was less apple and more of a stale cider. The slight apple after taste is the best thing I can say about this very dry attempt at a apple ale.

1.55/5  rDev -50%

Finally got around to buying one of Shipyard's new fabulous creation. Still can't believe someone thought this was a good idea. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Translucent with a few cascading bubbles. Light burnt orange in color. For a brief moment, there was a thin layer of head. Shockingly, this looks exactly like Pumpkinhead

S: Pumpkinhead and apple jacks... Clearly we have a winner here

T: Ha, they actually managed to make this worse than Pumpkinhead. Just. So. Bland. Watered down, nutmegy flavor is really the only thing I'm picking up. On the plus side, don't really get much diacteyl

M: Thin, watery. Slightly drying aftertaste

D: A wheat beer this is not. My only question is why. Why was this brewed? Why are people buying this? Shipyard is synonymous with fail

1.63/5  rDev -47.4%

I am not sure what compelled me to check this out other than the fact that I sort of like Pumpkinhead. I have it once a year, a few weeks before Halloween to get it out of my system so I can appreciate some of the better pumpkin beers that are around. Before I drank Applehead, I approached it with the same sort of curiosity and was assuming that I wouldn't have much more than the one pint.

I was right.

This beer tastes similar to Pumpkinhead, but is about a hundred times sweeter. Getting through the pint was very tough. My palette was being assaulted from all angles by the same stuff I would get in a quick coffee shop chai, but carbonated, and with that beer aftertaste. It was not good. The beer looked promising too. Very dark and brown for a wheat ale. Looked very mysterious. Looks can be deceiving.

I'd give Applehead the green light just as long as you can brush and mouthwash completely afterwards, unless you enjoy the feeling that your teeth might rot out of your head. It's just way too over the top, and not in a good way.

I'll stick with my yearly Pumpkinhead.

1.7/5  rDev -45.2%

12oz, best by July 2012.

Clear gold with a thin bubbly head.

Aroma is cloyingly spicy, with notes of cinnamon and allspice. Slightly cider-like, but in the end it just smells like a scented candle. After a while, it almost gives me a headache.

Flavor is thin and light. Effervescent and grainy, with subtle notes of apple. Not too sweet or spicy like the aroma, but there's definitely hints of cake spices in there.

Overall this is as bad as Pumpkinhead. What an abomination. Still, Shipyard will probably make a killing off this beer.

1.74/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

It has the consistency of club soda and the stuff is fizzy. It has the taste of club soda with a few crumbs of apple pie. Overall, it comes across with a weaker apple but stronger cinnamon taste. It is hard to fathom why this ale was produced. Personally, I would rather have a nice slice of home made apple pie for dessert and wash it down with a European style pilsner.

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

1.8/5  rDev -41.9%

Appearance is gold with a nice white foam. The smell is strong with apple and cinnamon, leaving out any hints of beer. Taste is very apple pie, reminds us very much of a cider. The feel on the mouth is very good leaving well and holding the flavor while drinking. Overall this is something you need to be in the mood for. If you are looking for Beer, we say skip the Applehead. This is a great holiday brew. A once in a while type drink. Not our thing.

1.83/5  rDev -41%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass. Clearly I'm a glutton for punishment.

A - Pours a clear, light gold with a creamy white head that settles to a decent haze.
S - Apples, cinnamon, and a touch of malt. This smells like applesauce, or perhaps a McDonalds Apple Pie. Not offensive, but definitely artificial smelling.
T - Pretty much what you'd expect from a Shipyard apple beer ; buttery diacetyl, watery grain bill, artificial apple flavoring, and dusty cinnamon & nutmeg. Not as retch-inducing as Pumpkinhead, but still pretty foul.
M - Light and watery, with a thin body and moderate carbonation.
O - Why do I keep doing this to myself? I've not yet had an enjoyable Shipyard brew, I dunno why I though a slapped-together *apple beer* would be any different. Avoid, unless you actually like Pumpkinhead for some reason.

Shipyard Applehead from Shipyard Brewing Co.