Shipyard Applehead - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard AppleheadShipyard Applehead

Shipyard Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: stonermouse on 12-10-2011

Shipyard Applehead is a crisp, refreshing wheat ale with a delightful apple aroma and subtle cinnamon flavor.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 393 | Reviews: 100

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

3.81/5  rDev +22.5%

Blueberry earlier, apple now. Why are people concerned about my health? I am getting more than my fair share of fruit!

Another f**king screw-top! I am wasting my mad cap-popping skills on these things. This makes Woody angry, and much like the incredible Hulk, when I get angry, I become even stronger! Inverted pour from a bottle?!? That is indicative of just how angry it made me. The two-plus fingers of ecru foam popped and fizzed like I had poured myself a glass of pop. Color was a deep, golden yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. My reverie was interrupted by the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus, all of whom wanted a taste. I took a deep sniff and the apple odor was so prevalent that I thought of Golden Delicious and when I said this, they ripped the glass from my hands and began chugging it in earnest! Too much gelt for me, so I opened another for myself. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, but the taste was like apple pie! Apples, certainly, but underlain with (at least) cinnamon. Wild and completely unexpected! The finish was dry, mostly because of the spice, but this was a very pleasant drink on a hot summer's day. I would recommend this on a seasonal basis, like right now.

3.05/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Looks like a carbonated apple juice, I believe amongst the Johnny Appleseed Ales, the Red's Apple Ale, and the AB version of Shocktop this was the trailblazer amongst the recent trend. It pours with a fizzy white head quickly fading to nothing not much lacing on the sides of my glass. Aroma has sweet candy apple upfront with some cinnamon spice to blend into a pseudo apple pie mix, I could picture locals here dropping apple pie moonshine boilermakers into this one. The flavor is spice heavy with cinnamon sitting on the palate through each sip, and not fresh ground cinnamon the one that's been in your mom's spice cabinet since you were a kid. Mouthfeel is pretty well carbonated, tickles the back of your throat becomes a bit hard to swallow within the first few sips. Lighter bodied beer from Shipyard, at least I'm not getting their Allen Pugsley signature house yeast notes, aka no butter to speak of here. Overall not too impressed and not as appalled as I thought I was going to be, worth a shot and hell I would try the moonshine boilermaker at least once.

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shipyard Applehead from Shipyard Brewing Co.