Augustinian Ale - Nethergate Brewery Co. Ltd.

Augustinian AleAugustinian Ale

Nethergate Brewery Co. Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 05-20-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

This beer took me by surprise. I traveled down to South Texas from Austin. See when I head down there, I have to stop in at either Whole Foods or Whip-In. The valley has no place to buy good beer.

I really enjoyed this ale. It had the look of a typical hefey but the taste was uber sweet. To me it had a lavender onset taste with a springy calm fresh after taste.

I have to give this the Meylo "Closing of Summer" award of 2007.

.5L bottle into pint glass.

Deem amber color with a light tan colored one inch head that lasts forever. Stacked lacing along the glass.

Sweet and piney hops dominate the aroma, sitting over a lightly toasty malt base.

Bittersweet hops mix with a creamy malt base. A touch of honey is tasted as well. Medium bodied with good carbonation. The finish is mostly the hops fading.

This Pale Ale is more American than English with sharp hops and a 5+ %ABV. Recommended.

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%

Cloudy and murky, dark toffee in color with a prominent fluffy tan head. Continuous lines of tiny bubbles make their way up the sides of the glass, stopping only when they find the sticky lace at the surface.
Nose is somewhat earthy, spicy hops and faint fruity sweetness. Very little if any yeast smell considering the large amount of yeast present in the bottle.
Mildly astringent, dry, bitter finish. Lingering coriander spice aftertaste.
Not quite what I have come to expect for the style. Different. Interesting, perhaps...

2.68/5  rDev -21.6%

This is probably the strangest english pale ale I have ever tried. I believe that it has spices in it to reflect back on older spiced beers but to me the flavors are a bit unbalanced.
Pours a hazy amber color that has a one inch thick head that leaves a little bit of lace.
The aroma is very lemony and I wonder if lemon peel was used in conjunction with the coriander. The aroma reminds me of a lemon lime soda.
The flavor is better than the aroma but I think that this beer was miscategorized as an English pale ale as it is way too spicy. The flavor begins with a slighty carmely and toasty malt flavor that blends with a sweet lemony spicyness. The flavor finishes very dry and the spices linger just a bit on the tongue.
The mouth feel is thin for a pale ale and the carbonation has a carbonic bite as the malts don't balance very well.
I don't find this ale very drinkable as I really just don't like how it tastes as the spices are too lemony. This would be a good beer to drink if you weren't really into the taste of beer but to me it needs more malt and less spice and a bit more hops.

3.76/5  rDev +9.9%

A - This is a beautiful beer that pours with a nice tall head that has good retention and nice lacing. The appearance screams DRINK ME!

S - I'm not sure I know what coriandor smells like but I don't think I smell it here. Lemony is the best description of the smell. Very pleasent on the nose with no off smells at all.

T - I'm a fan of English Pale Ales and this one doesn't disappoint. Citrus and hops go well together in my book.

M - It's probably the excessive carbonation but this beer is somewhat sudsy feeling.

D - Good but not great. If the mouthfeel were improved this one would be awesome.

Very good beer overall.

St. Augustine, pray for us!

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Golden color with a slight orange tint. 2" thick off-white head. Tons of carbonation bubbles racing furiously towards the top. Outstanding retention. Nice patches of thick lace.

S - Orange blossom. Spice. Definite coriander. Tangy. Very appealing nose.

T - Citrus. Herbal. Tea leaf. Orange juice. Hint of bready malt. Decent bitterness in the finish.

M - Thin to medium mouthfeel. Not as carbonated in the mouth as the appearance led me to believe.

D - Great drinkability. This was a surprise for me. I look forward to trying this again soon. Well worth a try for your English beer money.

4.09/5  rDev +19.6%

Named after one of my all time favorite saints. I'll try to not let that color my review too much. Love the pic on the bottle though.

Medium dark reddish color, but with a rather huge froth on top that's borderline excessive. Clears out quickly enough though. Aroma is heavily lemon, orange, and perhaps a hint of ginger somewhere. Heavily citric, and rather powerful.

Taste has a hint of the coriander that's claimed on the label, but I mostly just get lemon and orange out of this one. Almost resembles a Belgian ale in how much citrus flavor I get out of it, though slightly more subdued than most of that style.

Not a bad ale at all, really. I'd love to have this with a lemony seafood dish.

3.54/5  rDev +3.5%

Insanely bubbled, dark tangerine-bronze. The beer is so hypercarbonated that 95% of the glass is now full of orange creamsicle colored froth. Multiple streams of carbonation ensure that the head will never completely fade away and will make it difficult for me to fill half the glass with beer at any point in time. Lace doesn't have a prayer due to the softness of the foam. The glass might as well be made of Teflon.

The nose is enjoyable and consists of orange peel, orange blossoms, herbal hops and spices. I was surprised to see that coriander is added. It certainly isn't a typical ingredient in an English pale ale, but it's a welcome one in this case. The fruit-spice interplay is a treat for the nose. If the flavor follows suit, we have a winner.

Nethergate Augustinian Ale is different and I kinda, sorta like it. Although it's more bitter than expected, that's rarely a problem for me. Unfortunately, bitterness is so prevalent because the beer is undermalted. The relative lack of barley shows up in the usual ways: a lack of underlying sweetness, a thin mouthfeel, etc.

An orange rind fruitiness is the dominant member of the flavor profile. There's also plenty of herbs and spices, and no shortage of hop flavor. Coriander is even more of a presence on the palate than in the nose. In fact, this would be a good beer to teach someone what that particular spice tastes like. Even after the hop flavor fades, a tongue tweaking bitterness lingers.

The mouthfeel is a few bricks shy of medium. The beer isn't as effusively carbonated as it looks, but it's still too busy in the mouth. Drinkability suffers a little due to the unbalanced nature of the flavor profile and the less than stellar mouthfeel.

Augustinian Ale is a classic case of a beer that contains the right ingredients, but doesn't get the proportions quite right. With a tweak or two, it could be one of those good, offbeat English pale ales. I like the coriander, I just think a better beer needs to be built around it.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Very interesting beer. Pours like a typical english pale ale, the head was kind of strange really large bubbles that diminished quite quickly to a light lacing of head on the glass.
Smell is where this beer is at. Nice hop presence but something else quite floral maybe chamomile and corriander very strong in the nose.
Nice medium body lower maltiness but just enough for the hoppiness of this brew. Finishes fairly dry and clean and leaving a crisp snappy cresendo to the performance. Very drinkable will be glad to find this one again.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a weird beer that is basically your typical English pale crossbred with a Belgian wit. There's a fine, grainy malt character, rolling grassy hops and a big load of coriander to screw with your head. It's full of character, and reasonably satisfying, but is just off center enough to disorient the drinker. The first pour of the bottle gave me an entire imperial pint glass worth of foam, with nary a glint of liquid beer at the bottom. If you've ever seen a full pint of foam, it is a discouragingly impenetrable sight. Subsequent, more careful, pours revealed a sunny, chestnut-colored brew with a firm, fluffy head atop. The scent and taste are very much like flavored tea or an herbal cough drop. There are malts and hops in there, and they taste good too, but they are overshadowed. I personally would have preferred the beer with a little less of the lemony, dandelion-y coriander flavor, but I imagine a pint of this, whilst poised in a field of nettles and wildflowers with bees buzzing by during the dripping heat of summer, would be a ravishing experience.

2.57/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a brown rust color with noticeable wisps of sediment snaking their way throughout the glass. A tremendous frothy tan head billows out of the top of the glass. The nose is dominated by a strong lemony medical aroma—almost like furniture polish. The same powerful lemon oils are also the key players in the taste along with a good deal of coriander. There are some faint notes of orange citrus and even a hint of ginger behind the lemon, but not much else is detectable. This is a very unusual beer—I had a somewhat difficult time finishing my glass.

3.42/5  rDev 0%

Slightly murky tarnished earthy copper. A tan rocky head foams up and slides away, Clumps of brown sud subside slowly.

Nose is lemon and grapefruit up front. Grassy hops follow in abundance, and a sour fruitiness pervades. Real interesting and not expected.

The taste is hops first, strong but not cutting. A tart earthy fruit sits together with rough grain and malt.Mineral and bitter, medium bodied with a decent mouthfeel. The finish is dry, aftertaste herbal and bitter.

First impression is pleasing, but the persistant tart fruit seems a bit dusty and one-dimensional.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, ice tea brown body with a small head and little lacing

Smell: Faint aroma of citrus and coriander; a distinct bitter smell

Taste: Unripe sour fruit (apples?) and a heavy dose of coriander; tastes somewhat like a hard English cider; very bitter and lemony; unusual and jarring, at first

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low/moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Get ready to pucker up, as this one is for lovers of bitter flavors; for the rest of us, this is interesting, but not particularly approachable

2.86/5  rDev -16.4%

Big coriander aromas along with sweet, orangey-lemon as well. Pours a slightly hazy copper with a huge white head.

Tastes very...strange. An astringent, sour, citric-like flavor dominates the palate, with a very slight backing of sweet malt. Hops bitterness is medium, very noticable. The hops are actually what help this beer stay somewhat balanced. Dry finish, with a very distinctive coriander flavor at the end. Weird.

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a light brown hue with a slight cloudiness. The 1/2 inch head stays and it has adequate carbonation with small bubbles.
Smells of malts, yeast, coriander, and hints of lemon and orange. Tastes of coriander, good hops, slight lemon, and light alcohol. The finish stays wet and it has a good balance of malt and hops. When it warmed a bit, the coriander taste protruded a bit more and changed the taste. I preferred the taste at the cooler temperature straight out of the bottle.

Pours a five-finger off-white pillowy head that stays leaving a lot lace. Cloudy amber color. High carbonation and medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Starts with a mix of hops and malts with the hops dominating and a prickly mouthfeel. Lingering hoppy aftertaste. $3.75 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

3.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Augustinian Ale served via 16.9 oz bottle poured in pint glass.

The first thing I immediately noticed is the gi-normous head which arrived after the initial poor. This ale pours a medium copper-amber color. The head is very pillowy and dense. The cloud white foam leaves a slight lacing behind after drinks.

Smell includes hints of citrus, and various spices which I guess includes coriander.

The taste. Slightly tart. Not too overbearing though. The coriander is definitely at the forefront. I think I could use this brew to marinate my chicken breasts in before grilling. Quite a spicy character. First drink was not that great, but I am warming up to it.

Mouthfeel is not great in my opinion. This ale attacks the tip of your tongue. For me this affects drinkablity somewhat. I think this might be interesting accompanied with poultry. I don't think this will be a mainstay in my lineup anytime soon.

3.41/5  rDev -0.3%

1 pt. 9 fl. oz brown bottle with 5.2% abv and a bit about finest malts and a touch of coriander.
Aroma: Well, there’s the coriander, the lemon grass like smell is strong and unmistakable. The spice masks all else.
Appearance: Amber orange glass is topped by a good two fingers of head that started about 3 and a half and laced as it settled.
Flavor: Coriander is strong, but under it I get some buttery biscuit notes and a hint of coriander infused hops.
Mouthfeel: A bit numbing, leaves a coat but dries rather quickly.
Overall Impression: While not a world class brew, I found this to be fairly drinkable. Taste is adequate, and given I really like coriander, I enjoyed the package even if the rest of the flavors were fairly bland. Looks great, big frothy mocha head, clumps and rings of lace, hazy orange amber. Smell is one dimensional, but again, I like coriander. Have to give it pretty good marks. Worth a try in my book.

2.68/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A clean bright orange beer. Has a big foamy beige head and a lace effect. There is a sweet citrusy (orange?) aroma with a light spicey background. A very astringent taste and mouthfeel. Made me think of drinking lemon pledge. After I tasted it I assume my wife had cleaned my beer glass with furniture polish. I then drank directly from the bottle. No change. Not my glass or my wife at fault.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

16.9 oz bottle with label as pictured. Pours a hazed orange body with two fingers of offwhite head. Excellent retention and sheets of lacing as the ale is consumed.
Interesting aroma is spicy and herbal with a light malt background. Hints of citrusy lemon and apples are also noted.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. The mouthfeel becomes creamy as the ale warms to room temperature and the carbonation fades.
Taste has herbal hops, biscuity malt, and a mild spiciness from the coriander. Bitter and slightly medicinal, with notes of citrus and pears. Bitter finish that suggests a good English Bitter.
Nice English brew that straddles the fence between a pale ale and a bitter. The coriander is restrained, but adds an interesting touch.

1.22/5  rDev -64.3%

I bought this yesterday at the store and was pretty excited because it was a new beer to me.

Things quickly went downhill from the joy of a new product.

Poured a dark orange with brown core. The liquid color was nice, but the was ZERO head. Not just a little, absolutely none. It just sat in the glass like a still beverage.

Smell was odd, sugarly but tart like iced tea. No discernable beer elements. You can convince yourself that there is a hop smell in there, but it sure doesn't stand out.

Taste. BLECH! This tastes like putrid acidic iced tea. Nothing pleasant except the moment when you can no longer taste it in your mouth. First beer I have ever poured out due to taste. I really only made it about 4 ounces before I gave up.

Mouthfeel was a joke, no carbonation, no body, terrible bite. Bitter in the bad way, heinous aftertaste.

If you could give a zero in drinkability this would get it! Avoid at all costs.

I would rather drink a macro, even a bottom shelf swill macro before having this one again.

After reading some other reviews I am concinved that I got a bad bottle. What I just suffered through sounds nothing like the rest of your are talking about. I am going to talk to the store people, then know me and might hook me up with a replacement.

Edit #2:

Had it again...still sucks.

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a deep orange with just a gigantic head that I couldnt contain went overflowing my glass no way did I expect quite the head on this monster,aromas are very buttery with a lemony edge also a yeasty smokiness that lingers.Taste is very herbal right off the bat with some underlying butteriness,quite medicinal in the finish.A different tasting ale out of the ordinary in some aspects but not to bad just takes a few sips to ft used to it.

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a semi-hazy caramel color with an enormous dark white head that kicks of spots of lace on the glass.
Aroma is lots of grapefruit and lemon with some darker citrus fruits i the background.
Flavor is some caramel malt and loads of citrus fruits and some resiny bitterness. Very fruit dominated interesting but not quite there.
Mouthfeel had the classic British Ale hard water characteristics. Very weet witha flowery furit hop note and light bitter and salt on the tongue.
Drinkability was decent but nothing I'd seek out again or recommend.

3.16/5  rDev -7.6%

The beer pours a copper color with a huge head that is creamy and white in color. The lace is thick and hold to the glass well. The aroma is quite flowery with hints of corriander,orange peel and other citrus smells. The taste lasts a long time and is dominated by floral and citrus flavors. This is very different from any other beer ive had. Its kinda sweet and bitter in the end and finish with a dry aftertastse that lingers. Due to the large floral taste and smell I think I could only handle one of these in a sitting.

2.84/5  rDev -17%

Augustinian Ale by Nethergate

A big 1pt 0.9oz bottle poured a nice orangy/ tea brown with a big bubbly white head. I poured it rough otherwise probably little to no head. The Smell is an overpowering lemon/ orange. The Taste is lemon juice meets a cup of weak tea with a dash of orange juice. The mouthfeel isn't bitter at all, but you would think?!

Overall, a watery slighty flavored beer that goes down easy but isn't worth shouting about.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Augustinian Ale from Nethergate Brewery Co. Ltd.