Beer Of The Gods - High & Mighty Beer Co.

Beer Of The GodsBeer Of The Gods

High & Mighty Beer Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-28-2006)
Reviews by Kallessin:
Kallessin

1.05/5  rDev -67.7%

Pours a very pale yellow with a foamy, fizzy white head. Tons of bubbles floating. The head sticks all over the glass, but not in a good way - almost cobweb like.

The smell is truly atrocious. It really smells like there's something wrong with it. Like a sickly musty lemon with a weird spicy twang - like someone vomited lemon cupcakes.

The taste is very hard to describe - I can't even swallow it - I took a few sips and spit it out. It has the same sickly flavor like musty old wet hay and old lemons with a weird spiciness.

There's no point describing the rest of it, because I really can't drink it.

I feel terrible giving such a bad review, but I can't let this one pass. If I did get a bad bottle, then I apologize to the brewer. Others, be warned before trying this one.

05-21-2010 23:33:00 | More by Kallessin
oberon

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

First I had ever seen or heard of this beer when I found this weekend here in Buffalo,this poured a peachy hazed blond/orange color a decent well defind white head atop leaving a trace amount of lace as it settled quickly.Quite citrusy in the nose very orangy with lighter lemon hints a slight phenolic element shows itself as well with a hint of toasted wheat malt as well.The flavors really made you want more all around and a thinner mouthfeel kept me from getting to interested at the same time,somewhat citrusy with some toasty wheat malt up front but it quickly is gone and an ubrupt finish leaves you hangin.Eh it has a nice aroma but honestly its kinda boring,not a "bad" beer just kinda void of any complexities.

12-20-2006 22:36:09 | More by oberon
BeerAdvocate

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Love the beers that throw style guidelines out the window. Some sediment on the bottom of the bottle, which we added a few drops into our sample. Pale yellow color with some yeasty haze and a good amount of lace. Clean graini- ness, dried grass, lemony herbal hop and a touch of yeast in the nose. Clean, dry malt palate on a dainty, smooth body. Hops are more flavor-forward than bitter; heavy tone of wild herbs compliments the dryness of the malt. Bit of yeast, though still very clean. This one screams “session beer”—a great pick for something light yet still packed with flavor.

12-15-2011 02:33:12 | More by BeerAdvocate
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

A 650ml bottle, with bottled on 6/18/2008 on the label, served in a pint glass. Hazy yellow color, thick white head, little bit of lacing. Aroma of mostly citrus, with a little bit of grain. Grapefruit taste, not much else there. Pleasant enough, but not outstanding.

08-13-2008 17:48:24 | More by lordofthewiens

06-05-2013 23:43:01 | More by NoetheMatt
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

22oz bomber poured in an imperial pint glass.

Pours a wheaty gold with a big fluffy white head and some nice sticky lacing. Aroma is wheaty and yeasty, a bit bready as well.

Taste is sharp and wheaty and very unfiltered tasting, but in a good way. Chewy, earthy and grassy. A pretty solid beer I say.

10-11-2009 15:18:33 | More by kingcrowing
ccurrid

06-13-2014 03:23:06 | More by ccurrid
skivtjerry

Vermont

3.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Bought at M & M Beverage in Montpelier.

Pours very cloudy, pretty much opaque, with a small head. The opaque-ness gives it a very strange yellow color, reminiscent of lemon meringue.

Aroma is yeasty and citrusy (lemons again).

Taste is a brief burst of citrusy malt and hops (and yeast), followed by tremendous astringency. Highly unbalanced, with nothing to stand up to the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is *astringent* - high hop bitterness with grainy astringency and yet more astringency from the yeast.

Drinkability is not there. This beer coated my tongue and ruined my palate for the entire evening. We opened a second bottle in case the first was bad, with identical results (drain pour). I bought a six because of the good reputation of the Shelton Bros. and because I recalled hearing that it was contract brewed at Paper City, where the brewers certainly know their stuff. Maybe I just don't understand what they're trying to do. I still have 4 bottles; maybe it will mellow out in a few years. On the positive side - I do like the label.

Edit: I decided to try this again after 6 months in the fridge. Not much has changed, except for the addition of a nasty autolyzed yeast aroma. The dead yeast is not actually tasteable due to the other harsh flavors present. Mouthfeel has become a bit thinner and harsher. 11.5 ounces went right to the septic tank. After a few months to think about it, and upon retasting, I believe this is the worst beer I've ever tasted, stale macros included. If I could assign zeroes, this beer would certainly get a few.

RE-EDIT: This year I had BOTG on tap and spoke to the brewer... he was astonished to hear that I'd found bottles when and where I got them and opined that they were almost certainly diverted from their intended destination in the Holyoke sewer system. It's now a draft only beer and is much better than what I had a couple of summers ago. A slightly better than average session beer, sort of an alt and sort of a generic American pale ale. Very drinkable, and no offensive character of any kind. My apologies for reviewing the spoiled beer!

07-28-2007 12:08:27 | More by skivtjerry

06-21-2014 00:35:26 | More by justme
NJpadreFan

2.3/5  rDev -29.2%

High & Mighty- Beer of the Gods

A- Hazy light yellow with the biggest chunkiest head. Thick foamy lacing.
S- Very light hay/ straw with lemon and honey.
T- Sour sugary yeast with hay/ straw and lemon zest. Grassy bitter hops and lemon finish this 1 off.
M- Very sour and tart, lemony, and sugary yet watery and bland in the end.

Overall- Not good, bland yet a lemon sour bitterness comprises this beer.
High & Mighty's worst offering.

09-14-2009 22:07:50 | More by NJpadreFan
jmz62565

3.8/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a cloudy light orange with a huge white foamy head. The head leaves nice lacing making this a good looking brew. The smell is on the light side with sweet malt and floral aromas. The taste has a crisp hop carbonated bite with lemon,sweet malt,wheat, and bread yeast. The m/f is light with all flavors mixing pretty well. A beer that's not too exciting,but for the style, a blond ale, packs a flavor punch.

03-25-2007 23:03:24 | More by jmz62565
ElGordo

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a bright golden color topped by an ephemeral wisp of creamy white head. Not much aroma - a little mild ale yeast and some lightly sweet malt. Palate is again very delicate - very light sweet malt, a touch of ale yeast, and a barely detectable hint of hops. Body is thin, but not too thin. There's just not much going on here. A good thirst-quencher on a hot night, but not really much taste.

07-24-2006 06:44:37 | More by ElGordo
cjgator3

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is sweet with spices, citrus zest and some hops.

T- The taste starts out with some citrus zest and spices with a dry earthy finish from the hops.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount if carbonation.

D- Overall, Beer of the Gods is a decent beer but it is not heavenly like the name suggests.

08-18-2010 02:56:56 | More by cjgator3
Larrydoherty

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

03-04-2013 21:46:26 | More by Larrydoherty
andjusticeforale

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

This was a hazy yellow, a few cloudy shades away from clear. IT left expectations.

The smell was a carbonated whiff of "beer" smell, not at all letting you know what was awaiting you. The first taste left me thinking "man" this is a bit hoppy without a real purpose- the essence of balance and proportion was not there. However, there was a nice thickness to the mouthfeel, a bit of a malt base to help the bitterness fade. It was quite refreshing, and it had a bit of snap, perhaps the two goals of a an american blonde. In that sense, its a bit underated here, overall, it probably won't be viewed as a terrific achievement, just a decent alternative to macro-swill.

04-01-2007 12:37:02 | More by andjusticeforale
Hopdaemon39

4.28/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsener (seemed appropriate despite BA advising a pint/mug). Pours a hazy yellow color with a very limited head BUT nice retention and a few streaks of lacing.

Citrusy hops dominate this well rounded nose; definitely some lemony zest. I get a little bit of yeast and the slightest hint of pale malt.

Taste is surprisingly full- hops up front and throughout but nicely balanced by some pale malty sweetness and earthy yeast. Excellent taste for what I'm sure was a very small amount of ingredients.

Mouthfeel is excellent- light bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice long, dry finish. EXCELLENT! If I'm in the mood for session drinking, I will most certainly get this again.

03-03-2012 00:34:35 | More by Hopdaemon39
BelgianPrincess

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

I have had many experiences with this beer, both on tap at the Moan and Dove, in six-pack form when they used to do that, and in bomber form most recently. I feel that this brewer has trouble with consistency, and that is why I have had both good and bad experiences with this beer. With that said, I happen to know that Mr. Shelton outsources his work to either Saranac or Paper City (forget which), both of which are not the best breweries to say the least, so he only provides the recipe, and does not actually brew the beer himself. This is sad because I've had many draught and bottle experiences with this beer that have been pretty great, and others that, as people have mentioned, are a bit soapy and thin. Anyway, I hope he is in full control one day.

When I've had a good specimen:
A - I don't give a rat's patootey what any beer that I've had looks like. I'll save that for the fashionistas.

S - I love the hoppy citrusy, and I dare say "dry" nose. You can tell it's not going to be malt-heavy before you taste it.

T - Hoppiness abounds. Light classic-blonde taste, but, I'm guessing 3 times the amount of IBUs typical of this style... I likey.

M - Oh so bubbly, it dances on my tongue.

D - I could drink a six-pack of these (if they still made them) and still be rarin' for more.

03-16-2010 07:25:13 | More by BelgianPrincess
wewantbeer

Italy

12-12-2013 20:35:04 | More by wewantbeer
edchicma

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at the Dirty Truth in Northampton, MA. Appearance was a nice cloudy yellow that had a small head, but decent lacing. Smell improved as the beer warmed...minly light fruity hop notes. Taste was mainly floral..a bit different..more "flowers" than hops. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. At the low abv,,,a decent drinkability factor. A definite summer brew.

06-26-2006 16:23:43 | More by edchicma
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Peach purée baby food colored with a thin ring of tiny bubbles.

Smell: The first whiff was all oranges, then it quickly turned into this weird wet hair/bad perm, a kind of funk that I just don't like, which is surprising because I usually love all things funky and no one else at the tasting picked this up, so maybe it's me.

Taste: The initial sips were astringent like unripe bananas, but it smoothed over eventually to blossom in fairly flowery tones and got better with each sip, but overall it didn't do anything for me. I'll have to try this one again, so for now it gets a passing grade.

06-20-2007 00:41:24 | More by Goldorak
trevorpost

04-25-2013 02:02:34 | More by trevorpost
Beer Of The Gods from High & Mighty Beer Co.