Extra Blonde - Snipes Mountain Microbrewery & Restaurant

rAvg: 3
pDev: 17%
Snipes Mountain Microbrewery & Restaurant visit their website
Washington, United States

American Blonde Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
Reviews by 49degrees:
2.28/5  rDev -24%

Clear golden hue, moderate head which disipates quickly but does leave residue along side of glass for long periods. A very mild tasting ale that despite the hoppy aroma, lacks any hoppy substance and sadly lacks a suitable carbination level, leaving the mouth with something that resembles a mildly malty, flat ale. <ugh> The aroma and appearance sends the message that this should be something worthy of a closer look, but the end result is mildly disappointing.

2.15/5  rDev -28.3%

Appearance – Orangish-yellow in color. I tried real head to work a head up on the pour, but to no avail.

Smell – Light, pleasant floral smell. I can pick up some malt and a light hop aroma.

Taste – I hate to steal 48degrees’ “ugh” line, but I can’t believe that this is beer. Flat does not adequately describe this one. It literally tastes like a Diet Caffeine-Free One-Calorie Dolphin-Friendly Orange Crush that you left out all night on the kitchen countertop. The pleasant smell delivered a dud round – no floral hops, no malts, no balance, nothing (except maybe corn syrup). The finish is like that disgusting fluoride treatment you get at the dentist.

Mouthfeel – I was able to get a carbonated tongue feel by jumping up and down with the bottle then pouring it upside down in my glass and guzzling it quickly, but the window of opportunity was slim indeed.

Drinkability – You could serve this at a 10-year-old’s birthday party in clown cups and pass it off as non-sweetened orange Kool-Aid, but otherwise you’d have to be off your rocker to buy a second bottle of this.

Comments – I know we’re supposed to be constructive here, but I couldn’t find anything to like about this brew after it passed my lips.

PS: The ABV is conspicuously left off the bottle. I don’t even think there’s any alcohol in it. I guzzled the double-deuce with my eyes closed while spinning in circles listening to Pink Floyd and I don’t feel a thing.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

(at brewery, from notes) Gold color but the beer lacked any strong aromas. Hoppy but not overly so. Sweet finish with slight bitterness. Decent mouthfeel. Not a whole lot going on in the beer.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a hazy orange gold with a little white head that falls into a thin lace. Lacing on the glass is little to none. The smell is of funky grain and slight lemon citrus, tones of sugar berries bring up rear. Taste is of roasted grain and toast, a very citric lemon pucker is annoying but you grow to like. A bit of honey malts balances out, not bad for a blonde, good for those work days, goes well with a light dish like pasta or salads.

3.88/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours a golden yellow with a slight orange hue and clear. Has a thin white head the dissipates into a thin collar and very little laciness. Good aroma of hops and barley. Taste is simple but good. Hops is at the forefront with some malt and cereal grain mixed in. Leaves a piney and bitter aftertaste that is enjoyable. Good mouthfeel, viscous but does not sit heavy. Liquid is light and crisp on the tonque. Beer has a good flavor and sits very well. Recommend trying.

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Its been a while since I've had a blonde - I was somewhat disenfranchised after my last Redhook Blonde. But it was a hot day, I'd just done yard work, and this looked and sounded good. The label is quite attractive.

Once poured, the beer is a rich golden color with a slight rosy blush to it. The head is minimal, though carbonation is active.

The aroma is a mixture of sweet malt and a very mild fruitiness, probably from the yeast. Its quite an alluring aroma, and is a welcome invitation.

The taste is surprising for a mellow ale - its initially bright and engaging. The flavor comes predominantly from pale malts, but the slight fruit flavors present in the aroma also appear in the taste. Just the slightest kiss of bitterness from hops creates a very crisp profile.

The mouth is left somewhat sticky, almost like the effects of a homebrew but slightly dryer. If there was a way to lessen the aftertaste/mouthfeel, this would be a better beer.

3/5  rDev 0%

Overall, an average example of the style. Poured a very slightly hazy golden yellow, with a fluffy white head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma was grainy, with just a touch of hops in the background. The beer did have a very slight skunkiness though. The flavor was what you'd expect, some malt, some hops, nothing terrible, nothing great.

The body was typical, light but not thin, and the beer was easily drinkable. Give it try if you see it, but don't seek it out.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

Now this is a nice looking blonde. My server presented me with a pint that boasted an inordinately tall head of white foam. It was almost too tall and if I was in a rapscallion mood, I might have been miffed that I got more foam and less beer than I ought to have. But actually, I just admired the big white foam on the warm yellow body and was pleased with the presentation. Extra Blonde left curtains of lace on the glass and boasted ardent CO2. It also held a very meaty aroma, which I ordinarily don’t care for. Likewise with the taste.

Though aroma and taste usually define the core virtues of a beer, and I can’t praise them highly here, I found the Extra Blonde possessed an uncommonly full mouthfeel and body and went down easy. If the taste could have been cleaned a bit, it might have scored higher for drinkability.

Extra Blonde from Snipes Mountain Microbrewery & Restaurant