2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hefe Weizen - Scuttlebutt Brewing Company

Hefe Weizen
No picture uploaded.

Scuttlebutt Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 5
Rifugium

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

First had: on tap at their brewery

Poured a hazy, pale yellow. Fizzy body culminating in a foamy white cap that receded to almost nothing within a few minutes. Mostly grains in the aroma with a bit of funk. Pale malts and wheat in the taste, more flatly acidic than citrusy, and the harsh sensation that makes me not like most witbiers. Light body, and I suppose somewhat drinkable if you like the style more than I.

06-17-2011 22:13:52 | More by Rifugium
flagmantho

Washington

3.13/5  rDev +1%

I had this beer on-tap at the brewery in a six-ounce sample glass.

Appearance: pale golden hazy body with one finger of somewhat rapidly dissipating white foam. Pretty standard.

Smell: nice, light, wheaty aroma; not much character beyond that. Not a great fan.

Taste: wheaty and malty. Again, not bad, but not much character beyond that. This is definitely a pale wheat ale and not a hefeweizen -- there's practically no contribution from the yeast and no delicious banana or clove taste.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with surprisingly low carbonation. Definitely not my favorite, but it is passable.

Drinkability: a refreshing but flawed wheat ale; I would drink this again if I were really in the mood for a wheat and there weren't many other options.

07-27-2010 02:53:07 | More by flagmantho
RedDiamond

Oregon

3.9/5  rDev +25.8%

I was slightly disappointed to see Scuttlebutt serve me their American-style clouded wheat beer with a thick wedge of lemon clipped to the glass. I thought somehow we'd all gotten over the lemon thing. I guess not. Before even touching the glass I removed the lemon and hurled it across the room at a fat man in a Harley T-shirt.

Scuttlebutt's hefe is clean, crisp, and invigorating though not overly sharp. It shows ample carbonation, a light film of head, and a densely translucent orange-gold color. The aroma is modestly punky, but the flavor is inspired by gentle grains and draws to a spry finish.

A reliably wholesome ale that is eminently repeatable. Hurling citrus fruit at fat guys in Harley shirts - not repeatable.

12-06-2009 03:15:22 | More by RedDiamond
RJLarse

Washington

I had SScuttlebuut Hefe at the brewery, served iin a pint glass.

Pours a pale straw gold color and is slightly hazy. A small white bubbly head tops the brew, but dissipates quickly.

Smell is faint with a cereal grain aroma.

Taste is a typical wheat ale, but it lacks the robust fruit flavors of an authentic hefe weizen.

Mouthfeel is light, clean and perhaps a little watery.

A very drinkable brew, but not a real good example of the authentic hefe style.

11-11-2007 18:44:26 | More by RJLarse
RoyalT

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance – This hazy yellow body had a bit of carbonation to it along with a nice, white head.

Smell – I could pick up a faint yeast aroma, but mostly I caught grain.

Taste – There is very little wheat to this wheat beer, and the grainy backbone confused the hell out of me. It ended quite bitter with a touch of citrus hops.

Mouthfeel – Decently carbonated and light-bodied.

Drinkability – I couldn’t figure this one out. It wasn’t very wheaty and certainly didn’t resemble a Hefe Weizen, so I don’t know what they were trying to do with it.

02-01-2004 02:57:46 | More by RoyalT
Hefe Weizen from Scuttlebutt Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.