10 Degrees Below - Scuttlebutt Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-17-2006

4.56/5  rDev +29.9%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.45/5  rDev +26.8%

Bomber poured into my Meantime snifter, 10° Below is a dark brown with a pretty large light tan head, creamy and leaving pretty heavy lace.

Smell is nice, lots of esters, sweet malt, bubblegum.

Taste very good as well, again a nice balance between the malt and weizen esters. with a nice acidic touch that brings in the dry, clean finish. Thre a hint of chalk and a small touch of lingering roasty bitterness to give it some depth. Solid and smooth, I think the lower ratings primarily reflect an unawareness that this is a weizenbock, rather then a winter warmer as it's currently categorized.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, with a light body.

Drinkability is exceptional, a really nice little Weizenbock for sure. Smoot and damn tasty, a good looker, really no flaws, and to add on all that, a pretty decent price at $5.49 a bomber, from a specialty shop no less, it disappeared before I knew what happened. While this is honestly a style I very rarely get around to drinking for whatever reason, I can't say that I'd look for anything more then I found here.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a dark red and brown, decent bubbly head with great lacing. Smells very floral and almost like perfume, nice citrus flavors, pine, some chocolate, touch of vanilla. Tastes of sweet banana like malt with lots of rum and vanilla flavors. Some dark fruits as well. Chocolate and roastiness makes its way after a fairly mute bitterness. Decent medium to full mouthfeel, moderate carbonation.

A really nice beer and very unique. I think of Weizenbocks having lots of banana and clove like flavors while this had a lot of complexity. Love the rum undercurrent and the chocolate in the finish, really is great as a winter warmer. A real treat and a great surprise, highly recommend.

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

pony keg purchased from brewery poured a thick, velvety head of a tan brown. The beer is dark in color, but held to light shows hints of orange and red. produced excellent lacing and head retention.

smell is great. citrus, spices

taste of chocolate, malt, with a nice roasted flavor. the tastes are well balanced, nothing over powering but enough leaving you wanting more.

I personally have found this a great session beer. I've served it among family who normally do not care for craft beers but find this beer easy to drink and enjoy. It has become our tradition on thanksgiving to serve a pony keg and it's always a huge hit. I think that is my favorite part about the beer, I can think of too many beers I enjoy to drink that the rest of my family would enjoy as well.

UPDATE 12/03/2009: I purchased a 6-pack from local grocery and have to agree with the lower grade reviews... out of the bottle the beer did not taste the same! It reminded me too much of a porter and did not have the character it does out of the keg. I suspect the 6-pack was fairly old and hope to dry a bomber from one of the local beer stores soon.

4.19/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- It pours a cloudy coffee color with tan flecks of yeast throughout. It sports a huge khaki head. Head retention is excellent, and there are loosely formed rings of lace as I drink. The head has a marshmallow-like consistency.

S- Coffee, caramel, toasty malt, vanilla, with a hint of cocoa.

T- It starts with dark coffee, which comes across a bit smokey, and a hint of caramel. Hints of vanilla cut in at times, eventually leading to a finish with mild citrus notes. The roasty, toasty flavours never fully subside, making for a long finish. I think that I detect a mild astringent hop bitterness in the finish as well.

M- Medium bodied, with gentle carbonation. It has a velvety mouthfeel.

O- pretty damn good. I would buy this again.

4.19/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great winter beer that tastes more like Jubelale than a Weizenbock. I got lots of hops and lots of malt and a very smooth luscious mouthfeel. Everything I wanted in a Winter Warmer. Will need to buy a few of these while they last . Great stuff and a little under the radar

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

Grabbed a bottle from Whole Foods up in LaCamas, WA. Ryan the newer beer manager there seems to be bringing in some fantastic brews as of late.

- Nice cloudy molasses brown color, with a creamy tan head down to a mound of larger bubbles resting about a thin bed of lace making fizz.

- Certainly a nice spicy fruitiness to it... blended well with a zesty hop, almost cannabis-like, earthy, grassy, and fragrant... almost floral, like jasmine. Nice subtle chocolate malt, biscuit... little caramel.

- Smooth brown sugar and caramel malt... surprisingly light.. subtle spice, zest... and bitter pine hopping. The scent and taste are very far apart from one another. Sweet oats, fruity hop zing, little fig and citrus.

- Medium bodied, and a tad creamy.. smooth, and light tasting. Slight dryness and chewiness... not so much oily.

- Rather drinkable, and hides any sign of alcohol extremely well. Tasty, balanced, unique, and certainly good. I bet this would be even better on tap.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

appearance: deep dark brown

smell: clean, dark breads

taste: no banana flavor, american yeast, clean dark wheat

mouthfeel: light-medium bodied

drinkability: nice smooth easy drinking dark wheat ale without the fruit flavor usually seen in german wheat ales.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Scuttlebutt calls this winter seasonal an "imperial dunkelweiss". I can't profess to much knowledge of German, but usually in brewing "weiss" is used as a shortened version of "weisse" meaning "white." Thus hefeweissbier is literally a yeasted white beer, and "dunkelweiss" means "dark-white." This makes no sense. Confusion reigns.

Regardless, I will drink this beer. And when I'm done I'll drink it again. 10° Below has a dusty, porterish aroma, a tall head yielding camel hair lace, and a fluffy mouthfeel. It is dark brown with strong roasted character and makes me wonder if I wasn't served a porter by mistake. A fruitiness also emerges but more like skins than flesh.

Casual, quaffable, and smooth with a distant smokiness.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

I had never tasted any brews from this brewery before this one. I thought this beer was rather tasty and perfect for the holidays.

A - Cloudy brown with sediment floating around. Small white head.

S - I get lots of spices.

T - A little different for the style but I like it. It has a sweet taste but not too sweet. The alcohol is hidden nicely in this one. A little sour too but I like sours and tarts so I didn't mind.

M - Very nice and smooth and creamy.

O - A tasty beer that I will definitely look for in the future.

I shared this sample with a fellow beer drinker who isn't very fond of dark beer. We were both impressed with the appearance and smell. It's got an aroma that gives away the rich, malty goodness that lurks within.
The flavor is all about the rich, almost chocolately roasted malt. It really hit the spot for a beer to sit down with after work. My friend was also pleasantly surprised, now he has a dark beer that he can point to and say that he likes. At $3 for a bomber this is a nice little treat and I'll surely have it again.

3.96/5  rDev +12.8%

This brew pours a beautiful very dark brown with a ruby glow when held to the light and an off-white head. The aroma is moderately malty, some roast, a bit of booze, chocolate, and a little yeastness. The flavor is a bit tart upfront, some chocolate and roast, even some citrus. The beer finishes smooth with a bit of warmth, and a nice lingering malt. The carbonation is medium and body medium-full. Overall this is flavorful brew and would recommend.

10 Degrees Below from Scuttlebutt Brewing Company