Black Steel Oaked Imperial Stout - Landmark Beer Company

No picture uploaded.

Landmark Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: ThePorterSorter on 09-09-2010)
Reviews by ThePorterSorter:
4.1/5  rDev -9.9%

I am from Syracuse, but have not heard anything about this brewery. Seeing it on the tap list @ a Consumers Beverage in Buffalo, NY surprised me. I'm glad that I found it and hopefully it lives up to my hometown glory <insert corny "go orange" remark here>!

Appearance:
Pours a dark black and makes me think that I should be getting out the cream and sugar to mix in (coffee reference). I poured from my growler into my Duvel tulip to really put its aromatics to the test. The beer looks like a magic 8 ball sitting in a cup. There was a relatively stubby tan/dark orange head that formed and some lacing was present as well. It looks alive.

Smell:
This beer is pretty big on smell. While it's still cool from the fridge, there is a great presence of hops from the alleged "dry hopping." Apparently, this brew was "aged on oak chips and dry hopped with American hops." I have to give kudos to a stout with strong hops which always seems to get left behind once the oak and coffee starts being added.
The oak starts to come out more when the beer warms to a more comfortable room temperature. Unfortunately, the hops are too overpowering to smell the coffee present in this beer (which is unfortunate). I do however note a subtle ethanol mixing with the other aromatics when the beer is agitated.

Taste:
Taste is as presumed: there are a lot of flavors and good balance between them. I can first taste a punch from the bitter smoky hops/roasted barely, and then a balancing sweetness from the wood. When I'm considering the other "coffee stouts" I've had, there is typically a distinct coffee flavor upfront. This beer doesn't bring that to the table. It's almost all stout with a little complexity attributed to the coffee.

Mouthfeel:
This beer is fairly carbonated, but doesn't hold its carbonation til the last drop. I'm not complaining too much, I prefer to grow into a beer that's slightly flat and has huge bold flavors to compensate. I feel a smidgen of bitter after taste that may send a weak man astray, but overall has good balance between the sweets and sours. One word to describe its feel: thick.

Drinkability:
The Black Steel is very drinkable. It reminds me of the 15th anniversary Double Wailing Wench, but doesn't quite get there (probably because you can't really compare a double ale to an imperial stout past the oak chips and hops). I am settling into the start of a cool fall temperate and this beer complements it well.

Brewery tour this winter? i'm excited to see your progress.

ThePorterSorter, Sep 10, 2010

bluntedboywonder, Dec 07, 2011
Black Steel Oaked Imperial Stout from Landmark Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.