1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red God - Cambridge Brewing Company

Red GodRed God

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-29-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 130 | Reviews: 59 | Show All Ratings:
CheezyBlaster

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Red God indeed! It's big, but it's easily my new Zoe rival. Fresh, juicy, complex, gum tingling. Fresh pineapple and citrus gives way to a beautiful caramel center, followed quickly by grapefruit and pith finish. That bitterness sends you back instantly for more of the juicy, sweet up front. Dangerous at 9% abv. Very dangerous indeed. Get this beer and drink it, if you can.

06-13-2012 22:58:48 | More by CheezyBlaster
Cmack15

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: deep reddish brown

Aroma: weird funky smell reminded of a wet dish rag

Taste: starts malty and sweet then finishes dry with the hops lingering. got a touch of smokiness very faint though

Mouthfeel: full body nice carbonation

the aroma of the beer was not in the taste which was good. Not as hop forward as I like. The malt backbone really comes through in this beer.

Cheers

05-27-2011 23:34:15 | More by Cmack15
wyllder

On tap at Anam Cara during the hophead throwdown.

Pours a cloudy copper-brown with a minimal head and no lacing.

Nose is musky apple & caramel malt with a backing of apricot.

First hit on the palate is a kick of bitterness mixed with musky apple and apricot flavors. Midsip introduces a nicely balanced malt backbone to smooth things out. Finish is bitter with a nice caramel maltiness to it. As you progress through the glass the malt becomes more pronounced and makes this more relaxing than punishing.

Mouthfeel suffers from a some astringency that creates a puckering sensation in the mouth the longer you drink it.

Drinkability is solid and I could have had another one.

Overall, a solid Imp IPA.

Wyll-

07-25-2004 15:56:08 | More by wyllder
awall422

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Just had a couple of pints of the 2007 release. Weighs in at 8.4%abv this time around. It's the first time I've had the Red God and after reading about it for awhile, I was really looking forward to it. It did not disappoint! It's light reddish hue came covered in a light tan head that dimidhed quickly and left a light lacing. A nice, but not overwhelming aroma of hops hit me as i took a sip. Then the hops bludgeoned me over the head. What i liked best about this beer is that it didn't just try to be a strong beer, it's a strong beer that doesn't waver from it's hop-head roots. If you're looking for an all out hop attack on your taste buds, get over to the CBC and try one.

04-25-2007 00:21:42 | More by awall422
cheapxceptbeer

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Similar to spring training but with a pronounced caramel flavor, stronger, and more of the piney citrusy hops our country is known for. Outstanding beer, well balanced, which is impressive for such a hopped up beer. Wow from what I have noticed every beer from CBC is love me or hate me.

05-26-2009 07:01:08 | More by cheapxceptbeer
jvdineen

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If Tabasco was looking for a beer companion this is the beer for them. This beer is very red and the look gives a window to the true spicyness of the hops. Also it smells just like it tastes. Very hoppy with some of the hops balanced with malt. The alcohol (8.5%) is quite hidden behind the bitterness. I would definetly see Bodb Derg the famous red skinned god of the ancient Irish drinking this.

05-11-2006 17:33:06 | More by jvdineen
Phenom

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

I tried this at CBC and was very impressed. A solid effort all the way around, this beer had impressive hoppiness in both the aroma and taste that leaned more toward pine than citrus. It had plenty of malt biscuit flavors as well to balance it out and even a hint of yeastiness.

I would have loved to drink several of these, but since I was at a brewpub I thought I should try some of the other choices. Great drinkability for a strong beer. If I am ever back at CBC I will definitely be drinking more Red God.

05-28-2008 17:15:59 | More by Phenom
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Another good one @ the AOBF in Boston.

Sampler cup couldn't hide the hazy ruby red color with a decent sized perfumy head that comes up tan.

Full floral hop aroma heeds only to caramel malt, but not an afterthought.

Imp. IPA all the way with sweet caramel coated toast up front giving way to the bitter fruit hops and lemon zest. Not impeded by the ABV. A good strong IPA.

Mildly carbonated with an upper medium mouthfeel.

I'd say all components are there for a session brew, but perhaps the higher ABV may cloud the senses a bit towards the end.

05-23-2004 21:02:56 | More by WOLFGANG
badseed1980

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

I was initiated into the hoppy mysteries of the Red God at NERAX 2006, where it was one of the Real Ale offerings from Cambridge. I had been a bit disappointed with the event for the first half hour or so, due to the fact that none of the beers I REALLY wanted to try were available. Red God made it all worthwhile.

The beer had a gorgeous red colour, like cherry amber, making my first reaction something along the lines of, "Ooh, pretty!" Then I sniffed. Suddenly, I was transported to Hop Heaven, where beer lovers who are very very good get to go when they die. The smell reminded me of new-mown hay in the late summer: grassy, slightly dusty, bitter and sweet at the same time, but sweet like hay and not like honey. I had to spend a while just smelling this beer: this was aromatherapy.

My first sip brought all that gorgeous hoppy aroma into my mouth with a vengeance, carried in on top of a wave of bitterness. That lovely grassy hoppiness didn't quit, though. It lingered even through the bitterness of the aftertaste. It made me want to be sitting in the shade of a tree, in the middle of a field, lazing around on a summer day. There was even a hint of a nice glass of lemonade in there--no, wait. Not lemon. Bergamot. A glass of iced Earl Gray, to drink in the middle of that field.

I do believe I have found my ultimate summer beer: the aroma relaxes me, while the crisp bitterness of the taste wakes me up and refreshes me.

I've read reviews of this beer that describe it as fizzy and bubbly. It makes me curious to find out what I'd think of it on tap. Oh shucks, I guess I'll just have to find out. I love living in the Boston area!

Serving type: cask