Red God - Cambridge Brewing Company

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-29-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 62

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at CBC, these are notes from June 3rd. The beer was served in a large teardrop.

Red God pours as dark as the name would suggest. It probably looks more like an amber ale to me, it's a nearly entirely opaque mahogany. There's about two fingers of khaki colored foam topping the beer, and it shows good retention and a bit of lacing. The nose is a powerfully pungent blend of citrus and tropical fruits (the requisite grapefruit, with some pineapple and mango lirking in there as well). It smells wonderful, but that's somewhat expected for the style. Given the color, there's a surprisingly small amount of caramel upfront, before some palate-shredding bitterness roars into focus. Those same hoppy notes from the nose come in to close out the beer in a big way. While I'm all for a beer with a nice smooth bitterness, sometimes an all out, no holds barred hop assault is what's in order, and this beer fit the bill perfectly. With the dark color and high ABV (9%), the beer isn't as heavy as anticipated. Despite using some more highly roasted malts than is usual for a big IPA, this one shows itself to be more of a west coast take on things. The carbonation is a bit of a dud though, and takes away from some of the lively nature of the beer. I'm not quite ready to bow down to Red God, but it's a damn good beer.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: deep reddish brown

Aroma: weird funky smell reminded of a wet dish rag

Taste: starts malty and sweet then finishes dry with the hops lingering. got a touch of smokiness very faint though

Mouthfeel: full body nice carbonation

the aroma of the beer was not in the taste which was good. Not as hop forward as I like. The malt backbone really comes through in this beer.

Cheers

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at CBC, served in a teardrop glass

A: Red and hazy with about an inch of off-white head. Leaves many rings of lacing.

S: Dank herbal hops, citrus (grapefruit and tangerine mainly), and slight herbal aromas. Smells sweet and malty. Alcohol is noticeable.

T: Just like the nose, I get an overload of very dank herbal hops, bordering marijuana dankness. The citrus and floral hops battle the herbal dankness and do take over the middle. There's pine resin, but mainly in the background. There's a decent bit of bitterness, but nothing extreme, though the heavy helping of sweet malt probably hides quite a bit. The middle is loaded with toasted grains and caramel, approaching barleywine territory. Finish is wet, slightly bitter, with the herbal dankness and citrus coming back for a final pop. Alcohol gives a little on the finish as well.

M: About as full bodied as a DIPA can get, moderate carbonation. Very sticky, wet, resinous, with a lot of residual sweetness. A touch boozy on the finish.

O: This wasn't what I was expecting, but I did enjoy it. I'm normally not a fan of overly dank herbal IPAs, but this had just enough balance to make it palateable.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the 22nd anniversary party today.

Appearance: Pours a nice rustic red with a 2 finger off white (buttery) crown that displays good retention and lace.

Smell: Nice amount of herbal bittering hops over a very bready and neutral malt base.

Taste: Same as nose but it just comes together so much better.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, light, dry, and excellent.

Overall: This is one of the few brews out of 22 that I ordered more than once....nuff said!

2.15/5  rDev -46.8%

on-tap at CBC in late may 2009. served in a teardrop stemware glass.

initially served WAY TOO COLD. my brother and i had to take turns rubbing hands to warm them back up, as we each tried to warm up this single glass.

dark brown amber. hazy. 1-finger light tan head, fades to wisps and ring. great curtainous lacing.

very fruity aroma. tropical, almost banana peel, plus candied citrus underneath. approaches mint as well. very weird. caramel underneath, but those weird fruity esters and minty phenols really dominate.

taste is similarly overwhelmed by the tropical esters and near-banana character. there's still some detectable citrusy, piney hop, with bold resinous bitterness, plus underlying malt and caramel character. but honestly, these weird esters are just too much.

medium body, somewhat smooth, but also lots of resins and astringency. carbonation is moderate, tingly, and helps with body, but also just accentuates those annoying artificially tropical esters.

dunno what happened here...

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Similar to spring training but with a pronounced caramel flavor, stronger, and more of the piney citrusy hops our country is known for. Outstanding beer, well balanced, which is impressive for such a hopped up beer. Wow from what I have noticed every beer from CBC is love me or hate me.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a reddish amber with a decent head and great lacing. The nose picks up lots of citrusy hops with some pine at the end. Malt is purely the supporting actor. The taste is all about the hops as well, with both citrus and pine making a statement. Some sweet malt at the end, and some mango right at the finish. The mouthfeel is big and chewy and overall this is a rich and delicious IPA. So pleasant to sit on their patio and have on with good company.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

I tried this at CBC and was very impressed. A solid effort all the way around, this beer had impressive hoppiness in both the aroma and taste that leaned more toward pine than citrus. It had plenty of malt biscuit flavors as well to balance it out and even a hint of yeastiness.

I would have loved to drink several of these, but since I was at a brewpub I thought I should try some of the other choices. Great drinkability for a strong beer. If I am ever back at CBC I will definitely be drinking more Red God.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big IPA.
Reddish copper and clear with a foamy head that died away fairly quicky. Good stick lacing on the glass though.

Over the top hops, citrus explosion.

Bitter with a long sticky resin. A tad bit of belgian twang or yeast presence. Almost reminded me of a New Belgian type attempt at a big IPA.

The dry crispness of the bitter flavors really appealed to me. I've had so many big red ipa's that were really cloying and syrupy. If I could get back to CBC, I would get me a pitcher of this, to hell with the 7.8!

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Served on tap at the source at a cool temperature into a (small) wine glass.

Didn't see the pour. Presentation was filled almost to the top, only scant remains of a head left. Predictably left good lacing. Color is fantastic blood red.

Aroma is likewise fantastic. A nice piney bomb, almost like bitterness straight up the nose. Nice respite from citric IPAs.

Taste is great, considering the dark color, possibly under-balanced for a red ale. Strong hop flavor. None of the cloying, sickly sweetness that damages so many big IPAs. Really like this one.

Mouthfeel is totally dominated by the hops, both with a bitter bite and slickness. Perfectly balanced, not astringent at all.

Drinkability is great. I don't know why they call this sub-8% IPA a "double" and serve it in a puny glass. Pretty lame. This one needs to be served in a nonic with a massive head for full effect. This is one to order by the pitcher and share with friends, too. Great beer.

Edit: Warning: had this on tap at Sunset in Allston and it was loaded with diacetyl, overwhelmingly reeked of butter/butterscotch. Try it at CBC if you're going to review it.

4.92/5  rDev +21.8%

2008 version, 8.6% ABV.

One of the best beers I have found, I love red god.

Nice ruby body with slight tan head.

Smells hoppy. Beautifully hoppy. Notes of grassy hops are all over the place. I had to remember this was a drink and not just something to sit around and sniff.

More hops. Great hop character throughout. It is a hop explosion in my mouth, I don't know how else to describe this fantastic fluid.

Good body and carbonation amazing drinkability. I Could drink this all night and all day.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Just had a couple of pints of the 2007 release. Weighs in at 8.4%abv this time around. It's the first time I've had the Red God and after reading about it for awhile, I was really looking forward to it. It did not disappoint! It's light reddish hue came covered in a light tan head that dimidhed quickly and left a light lacing. A nice, but not overwhelming aroma of hops hit me as i took a sip. Then the hops bludgeoned me over the head. What i liked best about this beer is that it didn't just try to be a strong beer, it's a strong beer that doesn't waver from it's hop-head roots. If you're looking for an all out hop attack on your taste buds, get over to the CBC and try one.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

I was initiated into the hoppy mysteries of the Red God at NERAX 2006, where it was one of the Real Ale offerings from Cambridge. I had been a bit disappointed with the event for the first half hour or so, due to the fact that none of the beers I REALLY wanted to try were available. Red God made it all worthwhile.

The beer had a gorgeous red colour, like cherry amber, making my first reaction something along the lines of, "Ooh, pretty!" Then I sniffed. Suddenly, I was transported to Hop Heaven, where beer lovers who are very very good get to go when they die. The smell reminded me of new-mown hay in the late summer: grassy, slightly dusty, bitter and sweet at the same time, but sweet like hay and not like honey. I had to spend a while just smelling this beer: this was aromatherapy.

My first sip brought all that gorgeous hoppy aroma into my mouth with a vengeance, carried in on top of a wave of bitterness. That lovely grassy hoppiness didn't quit, though. It lingered even through the bitterness of the aftertaste. It made me want to be sitting in the shade of a tree, in the middle of a field, lazing around on a summer day. There was even a hint of a nice glass of lemonade in there--no, wait. Not lemon. Bergamot. A glass of iced Earl Gray, to drink in the middle of that field.

I do believe I have found my ultimate summer beer: the aroma relaxes me, while the crisp bitterness of the taste wakes me up and refreshes me.

I've read reviews of this beer that describe it as fizzy and bubbly. It makes me curious to find out what I'd think of it on tap. Oh shucks, I guess I'll just have to find out. I love living in the Boston area!

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

on cask at Redbones 5/8/06

Beautiful dark amber with bright red highlight at the bottom, and an airy tan head.

The sweet scent and tender mouth leads into a jangly dark caramel with sticky pine. Somehow it got heavier toward the end, growing syrupy and fizzy. Still, on the whole, a tasty brew.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

On Tap at Cambridge Common (i really need to remember to stop serving my beers in a frozen glass!):

This is a real hop bomb. I haven't been this blown away with the hop character of a dipa in quite a while, but this one really did it for me. Strong hop presence from start to finish. A rather full-bodied DIPA, in my opinion. Heavy on the palate - and a big malt backbone to finish it off.

Not too much else here, I thought. Straightforward, but likeable nonetheless.

FYI - I had this with some nachos, a law finished law school exam, and a buffalo tender sandwich - helluva combo.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If Tabasco was looking for a beer companion this is the beer for them. This beer is very red and the look gives a window to the true spicyness of the hops. Also it smells just like it tastes. Very hoppy with some of the hops balanced with malt. The alcohol (8.5%) is quite hidden behind the bitterness. I would definetly see Bodb Derg the famous red skinned god of the ancient Irish drinking this.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at Red Bones. 10.5 oz. glass. From notes.

A: Pours a dark ruby red color with a frothy, but bubbly, two finger off white head that dissipates after it sits awhile.
S: Huge hop blast hits the nostrils like a right hook that knocks your head back. Floral hops are the most noticeable with a background of caramel malts. Hop heaven.
T & M: Nice clean hoppy blast up front with a kick of caramel malts to boot. Oily and juicy hops bite the tongue and are the most dominant flavor. Hops coat the mouth, but go down very smoothly. This is a wonderful tasting ipa. After about half the glass, my chest became very warm--abv sneaks up on you.
D: Drinkability is high on this offering, especially in cask form. Would like to try it on tap, but am very pleased with it. It's like a slice of hop heaven.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

It's magically hoptastic! This brew hit my glass a beautiful copper colour with just hint of honey tinge to it..

The smell is all hops. 'nuff said.

Taste was also all hops. There's definitely some malt there (not quite the cleanest flavour out there- but not unpleasant), but the hops are front and center, and very present on the finish.

Mouth feel was not too heavy, and was just a tad grainy.

I found this one very drinkable- and I suspect you will as well...as long as you're a hop fan.

Be well
-UF

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Handle with care, as the day I sat at the bar, this was listed as 8.3%. Tawny auburn in my glass, I reveled in the juicy hop aroma with bristling pine cones in the back. Medium + mouthfeel, the hops predominate, but not in a bad way. There's some fruityness in the finish. Malt provides the smooth backbone on this one. I did notice a warming sensation in my chest after the first sip, so beware.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap @ Bukowski Tavern in Boston, MA.

I have not been "wow-ed" by a beer like this in a while. Pours a deep amber color with a nice frothy head. Great retention and lacing on the glass. Amazing citrus hop aroma balanced extremely well by caramel malts. An absolutely irresistable aroma. One sip brings it all together. Incredible balance. The hop bitterness provides a great, long-lasting finish without leaving your mouth overly dry. One 12 oz. serving was not enough, I had to get another!

As you have probably figured out, I was overly impressed by this beer. I ordered it on a whim and did not expect it to be so delicious. Give it a try if you ever have the chance, you won't regret it!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap, the Publick House, Brookline, MA...

Hazy deep brown orange appearance, fine-bubbled creamy head that leaves very fine coating lace on the glass. Fresh rind aromas, some cantelope, some leathery tones. Medium mouthfeel, subdued but prickly carbonation. Full and staunch hops, almost toothpaste minty and holding on well from beginning to end. Malts are mostly felt in relatively simple sugars and by the residual stickiness that is characteristic of the general style. Very nice beer here.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

not a bad beer by any stretch, but something just didn't sit right with me for this one overall. i think it's main problem may be that it was a bit thin and watered down at times. it pours a very nice deep amber colour with a slightly off white head that is nice and sticky. odors present include a sweet fruitiness, alcohol, caramel, malt and hops, though the hop smell was not as dominant as one might guess here. as for flavour, i found that once again, malt and caramel dominated, with a sweet but earthy flavour overall. hops presence is definitely felt, but is scattered about more than a full on hit. as mentioned earlier, this one is seemingly a tad watery at times too. i'd sample it again, but it falls toward the bottom of the list brews i've sampled from the cbc.

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer poured a dark tan/amber body with a decent small off white head.

The nose was a lovely malt and hop mix.

The taste was medium bodied, maybe a leaning a bit towards full. A rich, but very smooth, big ale taste. Caramel and some very slight munich style malt dominate. A big alcohol punch mixes in but never overtakes the malt. A beautiful combination of hops in this baby. A nice milder citrus and earthy hop flavor are up front but never overtake the malt taste. The tomahawk, amarillo and centennial hops are an amazing combination. Sort of the perfect combination of a big american IPA and mellowness of an english ipa. It’s evenly bitter from start to finish and although is somewhat of a palate killer it’s never overbearing.

Simply an amazing beer. Maybe I just love CBC’s fall and winter big beers too much, but this is just what I was looking for. A knockout, malty, hoppy but not overly sharp, big alcohol, fresh malt. I think I’ll have another.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red God from Cambridge Brewing Company