Red God - Cambridge Brewing Company

Red GodRed God

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-29-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »

wtfdic, Aug 21, 2012
4.36/5  rDev +7.4%

Marcos_Graziano001, Aug 28, 2014

DPJ3322, Feb 18, 2014

danielfda, Jan 26, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Just had a couple of pints of the 2007 release. Weighs in at 8.4%abv this time around. It's the first time I've had the Red God and after reading about it for awhile, I was really looking forward to it. It did not disappoint! It's light reddish hue came covered in a light tan head that dimidhed quickly and left a light lacing. A nice, but not overwhelming aroma of hops hit me as i took a sip. Then the hops bludgeoned me over the head. What i liked best about this beer is that it didn't just try to be a strong beer, it's a strong beer that doesn't waver from it's hop-head roots. If you're looking for an all out hop attack on your taste buds, get over to the CBC and try one.

awall422, Apr 25, 2007

GoBIG, Aug 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

PJK, Feb 17, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Similar to spring training but with a pronounced caramel flavor, stronger, and more of the piney citrusy hops our country is known for. Outstanding beer, well balanced, which is impressive for such a hopped up beer. Wow from what I have noticed every beer from CBC is love me or hate me.

cheapxceptbeer, May 26, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

I tried this at CBC and was very impressed. A solid effort all the way around, this beer had impressive hoppiness in both the aroma and taste that leaned more toward pine than citrus. It had plenty of malt biscuit flavors as well to balance it out and even a hint of yeastiness.

I would have loved to drink several of these, but since I was at a brewpub I thought I should try some of the other choices. Great drinkability for a strong beer. If I am ever back at CBC I will definitely be drinking more Red God.

Phenom, May 28, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If Tabasco was looking for a beer companion this is the beer for them. This beer is very red and the look gives a window to the true spicyness of the hops. Also it smells just like it tastes. Very hoppy with some of the hops balanced with malt. The alcohol (8.5%) is quite hidden behind the bitterness. I would definetly see Bodb Derg the famous red skinned god of the ancient Irish drinking this.

jvdineen, May 11, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +3%

Solid Red Ale Flavor, NOT overly hoppy, pours with a thick white head that sticks around for a while, smooth but bitter finish with a kick (9% ABV) I hope to show my respects (and bottle opener) to the RED GOD again and again!

buzzarooski, Oct 03, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

inandon, Sep 03, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Mblack, Mar 15, 2014

Thumpybass, May 23, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +19%

I was initiated into the hoppy mysteries of the Red God at NERAX 2006, where it was one of the Real Ale offerings from Cambridge. I had been a bit disappointed with the event for the first half hour or so, due to the fact that none of the beers I REALLY wanted to try were available. Red God made it all worthwhile.

The beer had a gorgeous red colour, like cherry amber, making my first reaction something along the lines of, "Ooh, pretty!" Then I sniffed. Suddenly, I was transported to Hop Heaven, where beer lovers who are very very good get to go when they die. The smell reminded me of new-mown hay in the late summer: grassy, slightly dusty, bitter and sweet at the same time, but sweet like hay and not like honey. I had to spend a while just smelling this beer: this was aromatherapy.

My first sip brought all that gorgeous hoppy aroma into my mouth with a vengeance, carried in on top of a wave of bitterness. That lovely grassy hoppiness didn't quit, though. It lingered even through the bitterness of the aftertaste. It made me want to be sitting in the shade of a tree, in the middle of a field, lazing around on a summer day. There was even a hint of a nice glass of lemonade in there--no, wait. Not lemon. Bergamot. A glass of iced Earl Gray, to drink in the middle of that field.

I do believe I have found my ultimate summer beer: the aroma relaxes me, while the crisp bitterness of the taste wakes me up and refreshes me.

I've read reviews of this beer that describe it as fizzy and bubbly. It makes me curious to find out what I'd think of it on tap. Oh shucks, I guess I'll just have to find out. I love living in the Boston area!

badseed1980, Jun 05, 2006