Red God - Cambridge Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-29-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

On Tap at Cambridge Common (i really need to remember to stop serving my beers in a frozen glass!):

This is a real hop bomb. I haven't been this blown away with the hop character of a dipa in quite a while, but this one really did it for me. Strong hop presence from start to finish. A rather full-bodied DIPA, in my opinion. Heavy on the palate - and a big malt backbone to finish it off.

Not too much else here, I thought. Straightforward, but likeable nonetheless.

FYI - I had this with some nachos, a law finished law school exam, and a buffalo tender sandwich - helluva combo.

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%

Red God IPA is a big, fat, juicy IPA that is bordering on the Imperial IPA category. Dark ruby / black cherry colored and slightly cloudy topped with a thin whitish head. Hop aromas jump out at you with earthy, herbal, and fruity notes. Kind of thick and sweet up front, but grapefruity hops comes in and cleans up the stickiness leaving a decent bitterness that balances nicely. This has a thick mouthfeel for its style and moderate carbonation. The higher alcohol is barely noticed until you've had a couple. A very nice IPA that is big, but not too big to drink many pints.A Red God indeed.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

I had the pleasure of sampling the dry-hopped Red God at AC's Hophead Throwdown.

It poured an earthen reddish brown with a modest head and a pungent hop aroma. The flavors were a chorus of hop notes, at times cacophonous, and others quite consonant. There was a slight bitter-sweet malt profile, but the major impact of the grain bill was to provide a full body for the red god and the souls of the many hop flowers who found heaven in this elixir.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Solid Red Ale Flavor, NOT overly hoppy, pours with a thick white head that sticks around for a while, smooth but bitter finish with a kick (9% ABV) I hope to show my respects (and bottle opener) to the RED GOD again and again!

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Red God indeed! It's big, but it's easily my new Zoe rival. Fresh, juicy, complex, gum tingling. Fresh pineapple and citrus gives way to a beautiful caramel center, followed quickly by grapefruit and pith finish. That bitterness sends you back instantly for more of the juicy, sweet up front. Dangerous at 9% abv. Very dangerous indeed. Get this beer and drink it, if you can.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: deep reddish brown

Aroma: weird funky smell reminded of a wet dish rag

Taste: starts malty and sweet then finishes dry with the hops lingering. got a touch of smokiness very faint though

Mouthfeel: full body nice carbonation

the aroma of the beer was not in the taste which was good. Not as hop forward as I like. The malt backbone really comes through in this beer.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Anam Cara during the hophead throwdown.

Pours a cloudy copper-brown with a minimal head and no lacing.

Nose is musky apple & caramel malt with a backing of apricot.

First hit on the palate is a kick of bitterness mixed with musky apple and apricot flavors. Midsip introduces a nicely balanced malt backbone to smooth things out. Finish is bitter with a nice caramel maltiness to it. As you progress through the glass the malt becomes more pronounced and makes this more relaxing than punishing.

Mouthfeel suffers from a some astringency that creates a puckering sensation in the mouth the longer you drink it.

Drinkability is solid and I could have had another one.

Overall, a solid Imp IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Just had a couple of pints of the 2007 release. Weighs in at 8.4%abv this time around. It's the first time I've had the Red God and after reading about it for awhile, I was really looking forward to it. It did not disappoint! It's light reddish hue came covered in a light tan head that dimidhed quickly and left a light lacing. A nice, but not overwhelming aroma of hops hit me as i took a sip. Then the hops bludgeoned me over the head. What i liked best about this beer is that it didn't just try to be a strong beer, it's a strong beer that doesn't waver from it's hop-head roots. If you're looking for an all out hop attack on your taste buds, get over to the CBC and try one.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Similar to spring training but with a pronounced caramel flavor, stronger, and more of the piney citrusy hops our country is known for. Outstanding beer, well balanced, which is impressive for such a hopped up beer. Wow from what I have noticed every beer from CBC is love me or hate me.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

I tried this at CBC and was very impressed. A solid effort all the way around, this beer had impressive hoppiness in both the aroma and taste that leaned more toward pine than citrus. It had plenty of malt biscuit flavors as well to balance it out and even a hint of yeastiness.

I would have loved to drink several of these, but since I was at a brewpub I thought I should try some of the other choices. Great drinkability for a strong beer. If I am ever back at CBC I will definitely be drinking more Red God.

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If Tabasco was looking for a beer companion this is the beer for them. This beer is very red and the look gives a window to the true spicyness of the hops. Also it smells just like it tastes. Very hoppy with some of the hops balanced with malt. The alcohol (8.5%) is quite hidden behind the bitterness. I would definetly see Bodb Derg the famous red skinned god of the ancient Irish drinking this.

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%

I was initiated into the hoppy mysteries of the Red God at NERAX 2006, where it was one of the Real Ale offerings from Cambridge. I had been a bit disappointed with the event for the first half hour or so, due to the fact that none of the beers I REALLY wanted to try were available. Red God made it all worthwhile.

The beer had a gorgeous red colour, like cherry amber, making my first reaction something along the lines of, "Ooh, pretty!" Then I sniffed. Suddenly, I was transported to Hop Heaven, where beer lovers who are very very good get to go when they die. The smell reminded me of new-mown hay in the late summer: grassy, slightly dusty, bitter and sweet at the same time, but sweet like hay and not like honey. I had to spend a while just smelling this beer: this was aromatherapy.

My first sip brought all that gorgeous hoppy aroma into my mouth with a vengeance, carried in on top of a wave of bitterness. That lovely grassy hoppiness didn't quit, though. It lingered even through the bitterness of the aftertaste. It made me want to be sitting in the shade of a tree, in the middle of a field, lazing around on a summer day. There was even a hint of a nice glass of lemonade in there--no, wait. Not lemon. Bergamot. A glass of iced Earl Gray, to drink in the middle of that field.

I do believe I have found my ultimate summer beer: the aroma relaxes me, while the crisp bitterness of the taste wakes me up and refreshes me.

I've read reviews of this beer that describe it as fizzy and bubbly. It makes me curious to find out what I'd think of it on tap. Oh shucks, I guess I'll just have to find out. I love living in the Boston area!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last