2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Weekapaug Gruit Ale - Cambridge Brewing Company

Weekapaug Gruit AleWeekapaug Gruit Ale

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-23-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 38 | Show All Ratings:
largadeer

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: On cask at the brewpub, this beer appears a ruddy pale amber with a dense white head typical of a fresh cask.

Smell: Intensely herbal; rosemary, sage and anise with honey-like sweetness backing it.

Taste & mouthfeel: Honey-like sweetness up front with a strong backbone of herbs and spices, rosemary and anise shining through quite strongly. Tastes almost like an herbal tea with an alcoholic kick. Sweetness lingers from beginning to end, making it a definite sipper, but surprisingly enjoyable and unique.

Serving type: cask

10-28-2008 01:13:18 | More by largadeer
BeerAdvocate

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #65 (June 2012):

LOOK: Tawny amber, off-white lacing

SMELL: Damp earth, roots, mushrooms, herbal, fresh, intense rosemary

TASTE: Lively, creamy, prickly, tart, lemongrass, herbal, tea, pith, bark, earth, brown bread, leaf, dry

Brewed with hand-picked herbs, sweet gale, yarrow and wild rosemary, this unhopped throwback to ancient days is a unique brew today. Some suggest mind altering. We’d have to agree. This is a must-try for those looking to expand their palates and minds beyond the norm; don’t serve too cold. Phish fans, rejoice.

09-09-2013 15:58:04 | More by BeerAdvocate
ryan1788a5

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a murky and muddy light brown color. One inch of off-white head doesn't retain well. Specs of lacing here and there.

S: Crusty bread, thick molasses, slight cola, cocoa, slight soured fruity scent. Herbal backing of rosemary and other non-identifiable herbs.

T: Cola, slight brown sugar, hint of molasses. The herbs ride alongside the faint malt tastes and have a soft, perfumey taste rather than a strong, bitter presence. Ghost-like sour cherries in the background. Slight grape skin. Finishes with light herbal notes and a fading malt taste.

M: On the thinner side of medium bodied. Slight creaminess, but a little on the watery side. Low carbonation.

O: This is my first experience with a gruit, so I didn't quite know what to expect. This one seems to be lacking a little something though. It's a little thin in body and in malt flavor. I'll admit that I hung onto this one for a bit longer than I should have. It tastes a little soured. Gotta wonder what the shelf life is on this without any hops to act as a preservative.

11-15-2012 22:13:47 | More by ryan1788a5
trxxpaxxs

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Big thanks to manversusbeer for this one...

A: Pours a great shade of cloudy redish brown with about a half finger of light tan head that fades quickly. The foam settles into a tiny ring around the edges of the glass. There is no lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is sweet and spicy. It's like herbal tea, basil, and peppercorns. There is an underlying malt/caramel note that comes through as it warms.

T: This beer is sweet to start, with what is reminiscent of apple cider. I get a nice caramel and apple mix before the spices begin to take charge. In the middle I get basil, peppercorns, herbal tea, and camomille. The finish is back to sweet, but the spices stick around and mix well. Solid.

M: Medium bodied beer. The carbonation is low on this beer and the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy. The flavors are bright, and it transitions well on the palate. This is an easy drinking beer.

O: I really enjoyed this CBC offering. I'm glad they decided to bottle an odd stye that can stand on it's own accord. I'd drink this again.

09-19-2012 20:40:25 | More by trxxpaxxs
Levich

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

I opened up a 22oz bottle from batch No 1 bottled in April 2012 and poured it into a pint glass. Not sure how it was stored as I just picked it up yesterday.

It pours up a rich brown color with a light head. It continues to give off fizzy effervescence leaving just a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The smell is sweet and fruity. It has distinct apple smells as well as the herbal aromas that are slightly medicinal.

The flavor is very mild at first, but it builds as the experience goes on. The herbal notes, barely noticeable at first, become increasingly more prevalent with every sip. There is almost no malty background, just herbal flavors that create a mild bitterness. The medicinal aroma translates to the taste, but there is a very mild acidic sourness that kind of balances it out.

It has a thin mouthfeel with lots of bubbles which is quite refreshing.

Overall, I like this beer. It falls a little flat , but I am not well sampled in Gruits and as such have little to compare it to. That being said, I would try this again, maybe after trying a few others.

09-14-2012 22:34:46 | More by Levich
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Listened to a few minutes of the groove to get myself into reviewing this beer...Thanks merc for grabbing this for me.
The beer pours a clear mahogany brown with a faint tan head that fades very quickly. The nose is very intensely herbal with the wild rosemary taking over my olfactory. The taste is a little off the beaten path with earthy, slightly metallic, herbal flavors shining though and almost no bitterness at all. It's kind of off putting at first, but becomes enjoyable. I would compare it to drinking the runoff from farm land at first...And despite the beer's modest abv, it's still a sipper due to the raw herbal madness that defines this beer's flavor and aroma. It could have used a bit more of a yeast, sweetness, and body.
Overall you need to be prepared for a legitimate gruit with a huge herbal forefront untamed by sweetness, bitterness, or alcohol. Definitely an interesting beverage, although I'm not sure I'd try it again.

09-02-2012 02:48:57 | More by ThePorterSorter
Eddxii

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Weekapaug Gruit pours a muddy dark amber color with extremely light lacing. It has a heavily herbal aroma with traces of subtle sweetness. As you’d expect, it smells nothing like a beer. In fact it’s closer to ginger beer or root beer. The taste is thin, with a slight phenol aftertaste. The term that keeps coming to mind is “herbal tonic.” It’s beyond interesting…it has hints of complexity that are too fleeting for me to catch. I’ll chalk it up to my ignorance of gale and yarrow.

Weekapaug Gruit is hard to place. It’s not the best beer, but then again it’s not a beer in the sense that I’m used to. It’s not something I’d drink on a regular basis. However, it’s definitely a brew aficionados should try and I applaud Cambridge Brewing Company for bringing the style back into the light.

08-27-2012 20:36:30 | More by Eddxii
FosterJM

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

1398th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
22oz

Batch 1- April 2012
Thanks to my RS guys Jlindros and RudZud for this one

App- A brown color with some creamy highlights. At 1st pour it was a 1/2" head, I blinked and it was gone. No lace or cling either.

Smell- Very malty and herbal. I noticed Pahn said mushrooms and thats kinda close to what I got but it was more medicinal and herby. The rosemary on the bottle was a good start but it went deep and I guess I dont know if the Yarow gives off a scent.

Taste- This is a tasty beer. I really enjoyed it. I could see the old scottsmans in the hills with a horn with this in it. Nice and light but still flavorful and balanced. Had a good caramel and rosemary flavor with some mixed herbs. Like drinking a garden.

Mouth- A light medium body with a light medium semi creamy carbonation. Semi-flat with a good residual herb flavor.

Drink- It was tasty. I like the heather ale a little bit better for the style but this was good.

07-18-2012 18:07:08 | More by FosterJM
Pahn

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a tiny offwhite fizzy head that dissipates immediately. Pours a hazy brownish red orange. No lacing.

Smell: Mild Belgian yeast, and savory mushroom. Not very herbal. Smells mostly like cooked mushrooms.

I don't mind the smell, but it could have a lot more going on.

Taste: Sweet and tangy apple and herbal tea up front, leading to some breadiness and English tea, with a surprising umami finish. Finish is like roasted chicken (with the skin on, no less) with rosemary and mushrooms.

Complex and adventurous. If you're going for a gruit, you're probably looking for something new and unexpected. This beer delivers, and balances these strange flavors quite well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. High carbonation. Bit puckering. Dry finish.

Overall: Good for what it is. Not something I'd like to drink a lot of, I admit.

As a vegetarian, it's kind of nice to taste roasted chicken again, I guess.

07-18-2012 02:32:13 | More by Pahn
maximum12

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to ferillo for this odd-sounding beer. Only had one gruit to date & it sucked - I hope it was just the beer & not the style. Shall we find out? Split the 22 oz. bomber with my wife while watching Jason Bourne kill people. Always a good way to spend the night.

Pour is a deep red. Head quickly falls away to a whisper of nothing. Smells almost, but not quite, like a hefe - I get a little clove along with what I'll presume to be rosemary, very grassy. Nice.

Weekapaug Gruit pushes the weird into a new walk of life. One of few beers that my first impression is that the mouthfeel is a problem, there's a lack of carbonation that makes this heavy despite the session-like alcohol level. Distracting. Otherwise it's as promised, a stroll through the spice fields, heavy on the rosemary, with plenty of others that I'm not cool enough to ID. Tastes like a spice rack. Really heavy in the stomach. Eleven ounces is probably a bit too much.

Well, I was hopeful. First sip was great, but this wears out its welcome quickly. Pretty decent beer, & one that should definitely comes in smaller packages.

06-28-2012 02:32:25 | More by maximum12
jneiswender

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tall pills glass. Served cool.

Pours a slightly hazy reddish copper body and a beige head that is initially thick but then dissipates.

Smells like clay, mushrooms, slightly sweet, some herbal notes as well.

Tastes vinous with a slight lambic tartness. Brown asian mushroom flavor is there as well.

Medium and very dry.

I have to say that this is not exactly my bag. Not my style choice. That said, it isn't unpleasant and not nearly as sweet as I thought an unhopped beer would be. Paired with food, it is actually not a bad choice at all.

05-08-2012 22:29:35 | More by jneiswender
steve8robin

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this bottle at Julios. Very excited to try this one because I wanted to a brew a Gruit at some point. 22oz bottle, April 2012, Batch 01...

A: A deep reddish hazy colored brew with a small 3/4 inch whit head that fades quickly. Decent.

S: A very malty brew with some nice herb / spicy scents. Almost a mild smoky / meaty scent. Ok.

T: Kind of a brew that seems like it would be good with your meat and potatoes. What I mean is it seems like it would blend well with dinner. Starts with an interesting herb taste quickly blended with a sweet, thick malty taste. Ends with an almost cranberry type flavor. Decent.

M: Full body with a heavy carbonation. A sweet finish. Decent.

O: All in all, this is a decent brew. It's definitely interesting not having a hop balance in there. It leaves the beer very thick and heavy. I'm not sure if I will brew a Gruit after getting to try one, but as a home brewer, I may do it just for the challenge of using spices in place of hops. Try if you're looking for something different or interesting.

05-06-2012 01:49:13 | More by steve8robin
CheezyBlaster

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Sweet, mildly herbal, can't directly pick out the wild rosemary, grassy and clean. It's definitely got the same herbal feel as say, Saison du Buff, but absent the hops it's smooth, and detectable bitterness is mild. Definitely a sort of fresh, seasonally appropriate feel. If this becomes seasonal I'll probably try a bomber every year.

04-30-2012 23:56:21 | More by CheezyBlaster
Dope

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

A: A dark amber pour with a small tan head. Head fades almost instantly leaving no lacing that I can discern. Only a small ring remains.

S: Oranges? Black pepper/peppercorns and rosemary. Spicy.

T: Very malty (naturally) with lots of bread, caramel and tons of spices. Again, black pepper and rosemary. Maybe coriander? Orange peel and apple skin. Lots of miscellaneous spices and herbs that I can't quite identify but make no mistake, that is the focus of this beer.

M: Medium body and smooth. No bitterness as you might expect.

O: My first gruit, and honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. Obviously very different, fruity and malty while being loaded with herbs/spices instead of hops but still quite tasty. I enjoyed it.

04-28-2012 05:30:42 | More by Dope
OtherShoe2

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a cider-like muddy orange with a head that dissipates and leaves no lace. Nice bubbles at opening and pour, a little fizz later in the glass.

Herbed notes, and really getting a bruised fruit/apple skin note here. Something sour, but not quite.

Toasted malt with a sour twang. Some apple skin, some herbal notes. A bitterness arrives but is mild and from the malt. Some decent complexity in the finish.

Medium body, good carbonation.

Tough to compare this to much else, as this is only the second gruit I've ever had. But, this is a very different brew worth trying. So unique, one should try this style when they get the chance anyway. But this is done well. Good job.

04-22-2012 04:39:45 | More by OtherShoe2
jlindros

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Yay, another bottle of CBC to try. So glad they started bottling since I can't make it to the brew pub very often.

It pours a nice creamy looking 1 finger head that fades fairly quickly at first as big bubbles burst bastardly bollucks... anyways, it disappears to a light head covering of bubbles fairly quickly with no real lacing, over a hazy rosy slight pink grapefruit colored beer.

Nose comes off Belgian like, a Belgian yeast aroma with spices and fruity esters. The esters give the fake appearance of booze but there really isn't any. Light herbal spices, which I can't really nail down which ones, but at least a bittering spice, something floral like a rosemary or sage, and a sweet leaf, tea, some type of earthy root as well. The earthy root comes our more and more as I nose it. Nice.

Taste starts with a malty base, again with a Belgian like malt but lighter, juicy malts, with a light sweetness, and a cross between a Belgian yeast and a Hefe yeast flavors, as it brings some Belgian spices like a farmhouse, as well as some light fruity floral flavors like a hint of banana and clove, and light fruity esters again. I also think there is some wheat as well. Then the herbs, which come on to just the right amount without overpowering or fading into the background. I get a tea flavor first, followed by again the floral rosemary, sage, thyme like herb but hard to tell which one. Then again with an earthy root, but that is more background flavor than the increasing aroma I got from it. That wheat and Hefe like yeast bring some bock flavors back towards the back end, which is a nice touch to round it off. Bitterness is fairly light, but just enough to let you know that it does have the herbal bitterness. Finish is a bit sticky still, slightly sweet, more herbal flavors and a bit of a herbal bitterness, the floral herbs and tea really linger well, as well as a slight wheat and bock like bite late on the finish.

Mouth is med bodied, slightly creamy even, decent carb.

Overall pretty good, a nice gruit that combines the over spiced gruits with a nice bock or Belgian style beer. it has nice malts to balance, mild sweetness, and just a touch of bitterness. It doesn't try to overpower with bittering herb (like I accidentally did with wormwood on my last homebrew Gruit). I really like how the herbs play in, just the right amount that doesn't overpower the rest of the beer and destroy drinkability, but at the same time doesn't disappear into the background of the other flavors of the beer. The esters, fruit, banana/clove like from the yeast, add a nice touch as well for a tasty nice drinking Gruit. Very well done IMO!

04-21-2012 16:19:09 | More by jlindros
donkeyrunner

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

@ Atwoods, Somerville MA

"Trying to make a woman match your moves
and I'm sharing in the Weekapaug groove."
-- Weekapaug Groove, Phish

Translucent, very near opaque, tawny port color. Thin, eggshell tan head. Thin, retentive collar is gone by mid glass. Though I'm not too familiar with the style I believe murky and sparse foam accompaniment is pretty standard.

Aroma is very fruity, kinda like a honey quad. Driftwood and a rustic spice from the yeast (I'm guessing) give WG an pastural character.

Drinks like beer tea. Plum and apricot fruit mix with a semi-dry rustic herbal spice. A bit slick.

One of several Phish themed CBC beers I've been hoping to try.

04-20-2012 10:37:23 | More by donkeyrunner
rinhaak

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

The first thing I thought when I sipped CBC's Weekapaug Gruit: "Why do I continue to try Gruit ales?" The lack of hops is significant, and, perhaps I'm biased, but I always miss the hops and find that gruit isn't a sufficient bittering replacement. That said, the first ale I ever had with gruit was pretty amazing (Gruut in Gent, Belgium), and that's probably why I always give this style another chance.

This is a drinkable beer and is pretty balanced, though the gruit is pretty center and gives it a very earthy flavor. It has a VERY herbal flavor, hints of lavender and flowers (the latter of which is very present in the nose), and an undercurrent of caramel and toffee.

If you haven't ever had an ale brewed with gruit, you should certainly give this a try. If you enjoy herbal beers, or have a penchant for original root beer from scavenged roots, you very well may enjoy this. As for myself, I would rather have hops.

04-08-2012 01:13:37 | More by rinhaak
Knapp85

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer poured out as a brownish amber color with a creamy head on top. The smell of the beer give off some of the aroma that the Gruit has. The flavors were very good in the beer. I spicy Gruit adds that special herbal element that I really really enjoy in these beers. The mouthfeel was soft and lightly carbonated. Overall this beer was nice, it was something I was really happy to see at the EBF, and even more happy that I got to try it.

02-06-2012 07:19:06 | More by Knapp85
kojevergas

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Served on-draught into a 13 oz glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and average retention. Colour is a solid black.

Sm: Heavy caramel, and... flowers? What is that doing here? Interesting. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Caramel, slight cream, strange floral fringe esters, and something I can't quite place. Complex enough, and well balanced. Roots of some kind are present as well.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Complements the flavours. Nicely thin for the style.

Dr: Very drinkable, of moderate ABV, and decent quality.

12-20-2011 03:17:39 | More by kojevergas
Slatetank

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

I had this on tap served in a tulip at Cambridge Brewing co's brewpub.

A - A deep garnet w/ good clarity and very light ecru cap w/ tight bead and spotty lace.

S - A spiced and herbal mix of aromas, fresh notes of slight pepper and rosemary with a tea like earthy nose and mild hints of biscuit malt w/ a sweet bark odor

M - The feel has mild acidity w/ slightly phenolic hints and moderately high carbonation w/ creamy effect on the palate and the malt gives a mellow toasty texture to back up the spices which come off as dry and the malt is mildly sweet in the finish -nice balance

T - The taste while good is not as good as the feel and smell - a mild light earthy, twiggy taste w/ herbs and mellow toasted/biscuit maltiness. The flavor has a light spiciness but I would say it overwhelms w/ spice cake-like quality. The flavor has a mild ginger note and the bark aroma carries over into the taste w/ mellow sweetness, an almost honey-like taste w/ blend of herbs is pleasant as it finishes

D - A great gruit, but I couldn't call it great drinkability-wise - a tulip or two would probably suffice. This is better than average for they style, just not for sessioning IMO

03-09-2010 19:49:30 | More by Slatetank
zackcg

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap into a 13oz tulip

A - Perfectly clear deep scarlet, almost metallic with a fat milky head. Big lace, no retention.

S - A quiet malty-herbal profile with subtle floral and earthy notes.

T - Very well balanced blend of yarrow, rosemary and grassy qualities shine through a tangy malt base.

M - Thin and fizzy with a pleasant chalky texture.

03-04-2010 20:55:57 | More by zackcg
u2carew

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

A) Nice creamy head. Great lacing around the edge of the glass. Gold in color with some haze.
S) Slightly sour, earthy, and sweet aroma along with herbal floral notes.
T) A light grapefruit and lemon flavor. Some additional sourness.
M) Dry in the back end, medium body. Slight chewiness.
D) Nice and unique - normal beer fair. One is enough.

05-16-2009 00:48:31 | More by u2carew
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have a feeling this one is named after the Phish song Weekapaug Groove. Ahh, now that takes me back.

Flashbacks aside, this one pours a slightly hazy nutty amber in color with a weak head.

Earthy malt with overripe fruit aromatics. Floral honey sweetness comes through in the nose too.

Sweet grassy and then a bitter wood pulp or green twig/leaf bitterness. Herbal tea with alcohol and carbonation! Goes down smooth, again like tea. No noticable flaws or anything, a really unique and all around tasty beer.

Loads of hops!!! haha, just kidding. This one, true to style, is brewed without any hops. I really enjoy this style, and hope more breweries experiment around with it.

05-19-2008 23:11:33 | More by SurlyDuff
sawbones420

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

CBC, despite providing what I consider some of the rudest service in all of Boston (the Allstrom Bros. would probably disagree as they are treated like royalty there), continues to blow me away with their beer. Luckily, they distribute to the local beer bars around the city, allowing me to forgo what is generally an unpleasant visit to their Kendall Square snob lair.

Decided to have a few at Bukowski (Dalton St.) on an early Thursday evening when I happened upon CBC gruit. It was listed as 6% (could be Buk's mistake, could have changed) and was to be served in a 12 oz. glass. Well the dude pouring was feeling generous or didn't read the menu, because he kept giving me 16 oz. servings. I wasn't about to pipe up.

Poured a hazy tan amber. Too foggy to see through the other side of the glass. The head was a light nutty color with amazing lacing on top and on the sides of the glass as I drained it.

Smelled of dull fruit and malt. An herbal/spice aroma was present as well - I immediately recognized the coriander. Definitely got me interested right off the bat.

Mmm. Having a soft spot for "weird" or non-traditional beers, this one is right up my alley. No hop flavor whatsoever, just a nice subdued fruit-malt-spice-herb interplay. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and refreshing - not too carbonated, not too flat. Goes down a bit too easy, perhaps. A good problem for a beer to have.

This one is Pure Delicious. A total pleasure to drink. It'd be great to enjoy this at CBC's beautiful brewpub if they could just learn how to interact with the general public (the one that doesn't wander in at 6 after getting off from its well-paying white collar job).

03-29-2008 02:42:12 | More by sawbones420