Weekapaug Gruit Ale - Cambridge Brewing Company

Weekapaug Gruit AleWeekapaug Gruit Ale

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-23-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weekapaug Gruit Ale Alström Bros

sholland119, Aug 10, 2012

kree, Aug 10, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

1398th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
22oz

Batch 1- April 2012
Thanks to my RS guys Jlindros and RudZud for this one

App- A brown color with some creamy highlights. At 1st pour it was a 1/2" head, I blinked and it was gone. No lace or cling either.

Smell- Very malty and herbal. I noticed Pahn said mushrooms and thats kinda close to what I got but it was more medicinal and herby. The rosemary on the bottle was a good start but it went deep and I guess I dont know if the Yarow gives off a scent.

Taste- This is a tasty beer. I really enjoyed it. I could see the old scottsmans in the hills with a horn with this in it. Nice and light but still flavorful and balanced. Had a good caramel and rosemary flavor with some mixed herbs. Like drinking a garden.

Mouth- A light medium body with a light medium semi creamy carbonation. Semi-flat with a good residual herb flavor.

Drink- It was tasty. I like the heather ale a little bit better for the style but this was good.

FosterJM, Jul 18, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a tiny offwhite fizzy head that dissipates immediately. Pours a hazy brownish red orange. No lacing.

Smell: Mild Belgian yeast, and savory mushroom. Not very herbal. Smells mostly like cooked mushrooms.

I don't mind the smell, but it could have a lot more going on.

Taste: Sweet and tangy apple and herbal tea up front, leading to some breadiness and English tea, with a surprising umami finish. Finish is like roasted chicken (with the skin on, no less) with rosemary and mushrooms.

Complex and adventurous. If you're going for a gruit, you're probably looking for something new and unexpected. This beer delivers, and balances these strange flavors quite well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. High carbonation. Bit puckering. Dry finish.

Overall: Good for what it is. Not something I'd like to drink a lot of, I admit.

As a vegetarian, it's kind of nice to taste roasted chicken again, I guess.

Pahn, Jul 18, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to ferillo for this odd-sounding beer. Only had one gruit to date & it sucked - I hope it was just the beer & not the style. Shall we find out? Split the 22 oz. bomber with my wife while watching Jason Bourne kill people. Always a good way to spend the night.

Pour is a deep red. Head quickly falls away to a whisper of nothing. Smells almost, but not quite, like a hefe - I get a little clove along with what I'll presume to be rosemary, very grassy. Nice.

Weekapaug Gruit pushes the weird into a new walk of life. One of few beers that my first impression is that the mouthfeel is a problem, there's a lack of carbonation that makes this heavy despite the session-like alcohol level. Distracting. Otherwise it's as promised, a stroll through the spice fields, heavy on the rosemary, with plenty of others that I'm not cool enough to ID. Tastes like a spice rack. Really heavy in the stomach. Eleven ounces is probably a bit too much.

Well, I was hopeful. First sip was great, but this wears out its welcome quickly. Pretty decent beer, & one that should definitely comes in smaller packages.

maximum12, Jun 28, 2012

CliffBrake, Jun 10, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

bluesplit63, May 12, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tall pills glass. Served cool.

Pours a slightly hazy reddish copper body and a beige head that is initially thick but then dissipates.

Smells like clay, mushrooms, slightly sweet, some herbal notes as well.

Tastes vinous with a slight lambic tartness. Brown asian mushroom flavor is there as well.

Medium and very dry.

I have to say that this is not exactly my bag. Not my style choice. That said, it isn't unpleasant and not nearly as sweet as I thought an unhopped beer would be. Paired with food, it is actually not a bad choice at all.

jneiswender, May 08, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this bottle at Julios. Very excited to try this one because I wanted to a brew a Gruit at some point. 22oz bottle, April 2012, Batch 01...

A: A deep reddish hazy colored brew with a small 3/4 inch whit head that fades quickly. Decent.

S: A very malty brew with some nice herb / spicy scents. Almost a mild smoky / meaty scent. Ok.

T: Kind of a brew that seems like it would be good with your meat and potatoes. What I mean is it seems like it would blend well with dinner. Starts with an interesting herb taste quickly blended with a sweet, thick malty taste. Ends with an almost cranberry type flavor. Decent.

M: Full body with a heavy carbonation. A sweet finish. Decent.

O: All in all, this is a decent brew. It's definitely interesting not having a hop balance in there. It leaves the beer very thick and heavy. I'm not sure if I will brew a Gruit after getting to try one, but as a home brewer, I may do it just for the challenge of using spices in place of hops. Try if you're looking for something different or interesting.

steve8robin, May 06, 2012

Ajlvt, May 05, 2012

uratowel, May 03, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Sweet, mildly herbal, can't directly pick out the wild rosemary, grassy and clean. It's definitely got the same herbal feel as say, Saison du Buff, but absent the hops it's smooth, and detectable bitterness is mild. Definitely a sort of fresh, seasonally appropriate feel. If this becomes seasonal I'll probably try a bomber every year.

CheezyBlaster, May 01, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

A: A dark amber pour with a small tan head. Head fades almost instantly leaving no lacing that I can discern. Only a small ring remains.

S: Oranges? Black pepper/peppercorns and rosemary. Spicy.

T: Very malty (naturally) with lots of bread, caramel and tons of spices. Again, black pepper and rosemary. Maybe coriander? Orange peel and apple skin. Lots of miscellaneous spices and herbs that I can't quite identify but make no mistake, that is the focus of this beer.

M: Medium body and smooth. No bitterness as you might expect.

O: My first gruit, and honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. Obviously very different, fruity and malty while being loaded with herbs/spices instead of hops but still quite tasty. I enjoyed it.

Dope, Apr 28, 2012

vbiliyar, Apr 24, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

rusty3335, Apr 24, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a cider-like muddy orange with a head that dissipates and leaves no lace. Nice bubbles at opening and pour, a little fizz later in the glass.

Herbed notes, and really getting a bruised fruit/apple skin note here. Something sour, but not quite.

Toasted malt with a sour twang. Some apple skin, some herbal notes. A bitterness arrives but is mild and from the malt. Some decent complexity in the finish.

Medium body, good carbonation.

Tough to compare this to much else, as this is only the second gruit I've ever had. But, this is a very different brew worth trying. So unique, one should try this style when they get the chance anyway. But this is done well. Good job.

OtherShoe2, Apr 22, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

jjcote, Apr 21, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Yay, another bottle of CBC to try. So glad they started bottling since I can't make it to the brew pub very often.

It pours a nice creamy looking 1 finger head that fades fairly quickly at first as big bubbles burst bastardly bollucks... anyways, it disappears to a light head covering of bubbles fairly quickly with no real lacing, over a hazy rosy slight pink grapefruit colored beer.

Nose comes off Belgian like, a Belgian yeast aroma with spices and fruity esters. The esters give the fake appearance of booze but there really isn't any. Light herbal spices, which I can't really nail down which ones, but at least a bittering spice, something floral like a rosemary or sage, and a sweet leaf, tea, some type of earthy root as well. The earthy root comes our more and more as I nose it. Nice.

Taste starts with a malty base, again with a Belgian like malt but lighter, juicy malts, with a light sweetness, and a cross between a Belgian yeast and a Hefe yeast flavors, as it brings some Belgian spices like a farmhouse, as well as some light fruity floral flavors like a hint of banana and clove, and light fruity esters again. I also think there is some wheat as well. Then the herbs, which come on to just the right amount without overpowering or fading into the background. I get a tea flavor first, followed by again the floral rosemary, sage, thyme like herb but hard to tell which one. Then again with an earthy root, but that is more background flavor than the increasing aroma I got from it. That wheat and Hefe like yeast bring some bock flavors back towards the back end, which is a nice touch to round it off. Bitterness is fairly light, but just enough to let you know that it does have the herbal bitterness. Finish is a bit sticky still, slightly sweet, more herbal flavors and a bit of a herbal bitterness, the floral herbs and tea really linger well, as well as a slight wheat and bock like bite late on the finish.

Mouth is med bodied, slightly creamy even, decent carb.

Overall pretty good, a nice gruit that combines the over spiced gruits with a nice bock or Belgian style beer. it has nice malts to balance, mild sweetness, and just a touch of bitterness. It doesn't try to overpower with bittering herb (like I accidentally did with wormwood on my last homebrew Gruit). I really like how the herbs play in, just the right amount that doesn't overpower the rest of the beer and destroy drinkability, but at the same time doesn't disappear into the background of the other flavors of the beer. The esters, fruit, banana/clove like from the yeast, add a nice touch as well for a tasty nice drinking Gruit. Very well done IMO!

jlindros, Apr 21, 2012

rab53, Apr 21, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

@ Atwoods, Somerville MA

"Trying to make a woman match your moves
and I'm sharing in the Weekapaug groove."
-- Weekapaug Groove, Phish

Translucent, very near opaque, tawny port color. Thin, eggshell tan head. Thin, retentive collar is gone by mid glass. Though I'm not too familiar with the style I believe murky and sparse foam accompaniment is pretty standard.

Aroma is very fruity, kinda like a honey quad. Driftwood and a rustic spice from the yeast (I'm guessing) give WG an pastural character.

Drinks like beer tea. Plum and apricot fruit mix with a semi-dry rustic herbal spice. A bit slick.

One of several Phish themed CBC beers I've been hoping to try.

donkeyrunner, Apr 20, 2012