Cerise Cassée American Sour Ale - Cambridge Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.75% ABV

(Beer added by: alexgash on 02-03-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Delaware

03-16-2013 12:27:28 | More by BeerThursdays
marcpal

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

On tap at brewpub poured into a flute glass.

A: Caramel color with an extremely thin head. Cloudy and bubbly, darker than I wouldve guessed.

N: A load of tartiness here. Really one dimensional that was sharp with a huge dose of acidity.

T: Fruits come through here behind the tartness. Vinegary and cherry flavors are the most prevelant. Not too defined, not terrible but not great.

M: Extremely dry which goes with the tart flavors. Lemon zest without the sugar needed for lemonade. The spices are there and the carbonation was too tingly.

D: ABV was awfully well hidden. Had some good characters but sourness and tartness were not among the tops for the style.

Drinkability: Tasty and incredibly flavorful. The beer is nicely sour, but isn't overpowering.
Could use some more sugary balance.

06-12-2008 18:51:39 | More by marcpal
Aisha

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

02-26-2014 23:26:40 | More by Aisha
Thorpe429

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Reviewed from notes. Pours a garnet color with some brown streaks. Off white head with a bit of lacing as it falls. The nose brings forward a bit of some really nice sour cherries along with a mild acetic character and some mild funk. Quite good. The flavor is a bit more tart without as much cherry. Mostly some intense sourness and tartness with perhaps a bit too much acetic acid, which carries over into the mouthfeel. Really dry, sour finish. Drinks pretty well and is something I'd definitely have again, if for nothing other than to get back at that nose.

03-15-2011 01:21:11 | More by Thorpe429
axeman9182

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

First beer of the night at CBC's 21st anniversary shindig. Served in a flute glass, Cerise pours pretty much the darkest shade of red imaginable, and there's a brief appearance by a small off-white cap. The nose is of pretty much of tart cherries exclusively. This beer is sour, in fact I think the envelope is pushed in this regard just a little bit too much. Cherries are a much welcome addition as the beer hits the back of my mouth. The mouthfeel on this beer is outstanding, a nice level of carbonation and it really coats my mouth. While I still think the beer's a bit too unbalanced towards the sour side, it's very good. That said, I couldn't see myself drinking more than one of these in a sitting as the tartness from even my one glass left my palate temporarily overwhelmed.

05-08-2010 01:28:40 | More by axeman9182
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

A- Nice ruby brown pour with a wisp of head that fades fast.

S- Nose is very strong with tart cherries. Wow, this has quite a nose on it.

T- Tart, puckering cherries, a dash of vinegar, lots of funk. Very intense- surprising burst of flavors from this one. Almost too much (although I'm digging it).

M- Tart, puckering, a bit of vinegar makes the finish a little rough.

D- Moderate. Great flavors, although perhaps could be blended to mellow out a bit. Still, the cherry is amazing. Quite a beer.

11-10-2010 13:19:10 | More by ShogoKawada
mendvicdog

Maryland

3.75/5  rDev -12%

03-18-2013 19:14:15 | More by mendvicdog
mdfb79

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

From 09/09/11 notes. Got to try the 09 and 10 vintages of this between NotF and BBF up in Boston, MA.

a - Pours a dark murky brown-red color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour cherries, oak, vinegar, furity malts. Tart cherries and definirely there.

t - Tastes of cherries and dark fruits, light oak, and vinegar, but not as tart or acedic as the nose.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

o - Overall a pretty good wild ale. I enjoyed the sour nose, and wished it had come through a bit more in the taste, but I still enjoyed it. Would like to have it again.

09-30-2011 18:10:28 | More by mdfb79
Phenom

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Tried this at the brewpub. When I ordered it, the waitress asked if I liked sour cherries and if I wanted to taste it first before ordering. I assured her that I knew what I was getting myself into.

The appearance was very red, cloudy, with a smallish head. The aroma brought to mind apple cider left in the fridge too long. Cherries, tartness, sourness, some lactic qualities. The taste is similar. I did not get much wood flavor, mostly just sour, tart, fruity. Definitely has an acidic bite to it that makes you pucker when you drink it.

An interesting beer to try, I would recommend it to more adventurous beer drinkers (like most BA users), probably not for the typical macro drinker.

05-28-2008 17:24:47 | More by Phenom
muttyd

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap at the brewery. Presented in a tulip glass. Deep ruby red body with a fluffy pink/white head. Aroma of oak, funk and slight vinegar is immediately obvious. Some cherries in the nose, but takes a back seat to the other aromas previously mentioned. Sweet/tart cherry flavor comes through more in the flavor. Funk, wood, and sour notes as well. Very sour beer. Mouthwatering and very astringent. One glass was definitely enough for me. Very big flavors, very sour.

12-13-2010 00:44:37 | More by muttyd
waughbrew

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Clear dark cherry red, served with just a ring of white along the glass. Aroma is sour cherry and a red wine without the alcohol or spiciness. Starts sweet McIntosh and cherry with notes of maple. It then takes a mad dash towards tartness and evolves into an impressive sourness before finishing very clean. No trace of alcohol or bitterness. Medium-thick body with a little detached carbonation.

I find this tough to compare to much, although I definitely enjoy it more than its inspiration, Quelque Chose. I think I would prefer a bit more funkiness to it, but perhaps that is just me expecting a kriek-lambic when in fact that is not what this beer is supposed to be. Overall this is very interesting and very impressive.

[It is tought to prove that it was this beer, but an hour or two after drinking it I started releasing the most foul gasses the world has ever smelled. This continued for hours and I assure you is quite out-of-character for me. I just thought I would mention it in case other people find the same reaction]

02-05-2005 22:42:51 | More by waughbrew
TurdFurgison

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

I had this on tap at the brewpub, $6 for what I believe to be a 10oz pour. It arrived a very dark red color, more purple-brown actually, with zero light transmission. A healthy foam on top, tan colored with a fine-celled structure.

Strong cherry aromas are the first thing to greet my nose, followed abruptly by a nearly vinegar note which immediately says "Flanders Red Ale". Not bad at all for that style, not really the cherry wild ale I'd anticipated but whatever. On tasting it's immediately sour, extremely so really (which I like but could see it as off-putting for some). The cherries present nicely in the aftertaste, but the abrasiveness is the dominant characteristic for sure. This rapidly became a sipper for me, as does most any Flanders Red I try. No sweet malt/sugar counterplay like you get from some of the classics, and honestly I can't tell which approach I like more.

Pretty happy to have found this available, the first time I've seen it after 2.5 years of infrequent stops.

11-09-2012 20:28:44 | More by TurdFurgison
francisweizen

Alaska

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark Red/No Head. Aromas are all lactic sour cherries/kriek with many funky complexities. Taste follows suit, with dank lactic funk and wild bacteria traces. Although this is a damn tasty flemish red it is not as complex, interesting, and drinkable as other world-calss examples. This reminds me more of a vondel than a Rodenbach. Mouthfeel is thin and acrid, drinkability is not the best. Still this is an interesting brew, that I was glad to try.

03-08-2005 17:22:19 | More by francisweizen