1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Banryu Ichi - Cambridge Brewing Company

Banryu IchiBanryu Ichi

Cambridge Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  14.00% ABV

(Beer added by: cbutova on 07-13-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 33 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
Tschnab

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

Served in a 5oz glass that rests in a traditional wooden sake cup which they called a "masu." No head and very low carbonation on this.

The nose is very intriguing. First hit with a very familiar old fashioned cherry candy aroma that I can't quite place. Next I start to pick up a grain alchol type aroma paired with red berry and some sort of citrus zest.

Taste is a big dose of syrupy cherry candy in the front washed down with a boozy grain alchol finish. Very sweet but it works quite well in my opinion. The sake character lends a completely unfamiliar character to the beer, as I get flavors that I can only half identify as rice, lemon zest, and an almost umami like sensation.

I know very little about sake and traditionally have hated it but this take has opened my eyes. An incredibly original beer and new experience for me. While it doesn't fit my usual preferences I am really glad I got to try this one.

05-22-2013 13:50:05 | More by Tschnab
cbutova

Beer/Sake hybrid eh?

A- Served in what must be a 5oz Sake glass. No head or lace ever in sight for this beast. Clear and amber body, looks like a liquor in the glass.

S- Somewhat like a Barleywine, big and alcoholic with a malt backing. Things unlike Barleywine are strong floral perfumey notes as well as some definite red grape and ester.

T- Red fruit screams at me but it is hard to define, maybe some grape wine, raisin and cherry liquor hybrid. Alcohol is quite present with a strong spice and some kind of childhood candy flavor I can't name.

MF- Warmth turns to heat in a slick, almost like liquor body.

Very confusing and interesting, some flavors i have a hard time putting my finger on. Enjoyable hybrid strong ale.

07-13-2012 00:02:26 | More by cbutova