Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPASierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: DaltonC on 02-23-2014

Reviews: 170 | Hads: 1,049
2.49/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label and silver branded pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a Sierra Nevada variety IPA 12-pack a couple weeks ago and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery. 4.8% ABV per the label.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Decent creaminess, okay thickness, and decent frothiness. No lacing. Head retention is pretty good - about 5 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent pale copper of average vibrance. Slightly weak looking. Clean; no yeast particles or hop sediment is visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's standard fare for an IPA or pale ale. There's nothing unique or special here.

Sm: Sweet bready malts dominate the aroma. Pale malts. Rosemary. There's some hop character too: floral notes, vague fruit, some slightly dank and resinous notes. But the malts dominate, which is flat-out wrong for an IPA or pale. It comes off more like an English IPA, and it's a bit off-putting. The sweetness is weird. There are off-notes too: light buttery diacetyl and soapiness.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

It's an underwhelming aroma of mild strength.

T: Sweet bready malts, pale malts, some caramalt. The hop notes feel like an afterthought: soapiness indicative that this spent too long in primary, floral character, some unevocative fruit. I'm not finding the citrusy or grapefruit notes mentioned on the label. I do find buttery diacetyl, which drags the flavour profile down.

No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Overall, this is a very generic underwhelming build for an IPA, and lacks balance. The malty sweetness edges out the hop bitterness, which makes this a fundamentally unsatisfying beer in its style. It has some loose cohesion, but really lacks focus; it's not a gestalt brew by any means and I'd heavily reconsider the ingredients selected. Pretty shallow in terms of depth of flavour. Below average flavour duration and intensity. Subpar amplitude.

This really needs more complexity, subtlety, intricacy, and nuance. It's just not bringing much to the table, and in this style you really need to stand out. I'm pretty disappointed. It's not even that pleasant to drink.

Mf: Too heavy and thick on the palate for the lack of evocative and/or diverse flavours. The weight of the mouthfeel also doesn't match the "session IPA" vibe they're going for. I'd even say this has too much heft for a pale ale, at least relative to how much (i.e. how little) flavour there is. Okay presence on the palate. Overcarbonated. Slightly oily. Smooth and wet. Unrefreshing; it's too sweet. Not as fresh, clean, or soft as would be ideal.

Ultimately, this texture just doesn't suit the style or the taste all that well. Subpar execution.

Not gushed, hot, astringent, boozy, rough, or biting.

Dr: A forgettable attempt at a fad style from Sierra Nevada, Nooner deserves to be left on the shelf. It feels like a beer that originated in the marketing department, not in the passion of a brewer. I wouldn't pick it up again and I hope they discontinue it after they've made their buck. That said, it does a decent job of hiding its ABV and I'm sure it will have its defenders (most of whom are probably well-intentioned megafans of the brewery, but I digress). Sure, it's drinkable, but it's hard to really enjoy. Hop fans would do well to avoid this; it brings less hop flavour to the table than even the pale ale from your local mediocre brewpub. Meh.

High D+

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

I've been very underwhelmed by every session IPA I've tried so far, and basically think it's a stupid trend that will hopefully go away soon. However, I've been digging on SN lately and was looking forward to trying theirs from the mix pack. Would this be the one that changed my mind?

Unfortunately, no. I will say this 4.8 abv session beer has good color, darker than most that I've seen, and had a huge head of foam, but my enjoyment of it stopped there. The bottle pledges citrus and grapefrut, but I found it to be rather skunky. I wondered about the freshness, but says bottled on 5/5, and I've had IPA's much further out than that taste fine. Taste impressions were watery, weak, more malt than hops, tastes more like a mediocre pale ale. I confess to not really caring for pale ales, which is why I drink IPA's, but this really had little to no hop character to speak of.

Bad bottle? I don't know. As I said I haven't had one of these session beers that I've liked so far but this was really bottom of the barrel for me. Pointless. I got through maybe half of it and actually poured it out. Two more in the mix pack. Will they be drunk? Maybe for sheer hydration, on a hot day, in the absence of any other liquid. Sorry, SN. Love everything else in the mix-pack, though!

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy light golden orange with a big frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is biscuit malt and grassy, almost metallic, hops. Like SN Pale.

The flavor is biscuity malts with pretty good sized grassy bitterness and a touch of fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

Overall, this tastes like what I remember SN Pale tasting like. Would be interesting to do a side by side since I haven't had the Pale in a while.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass. The Nooner pours a deep golden after allowing for some warming time, perhaps a light copper aside of the light. An inch of soapy foam settles slowly and tosses of some sticky lace on the way down.

The Nooner offers a hoppy aroma from the get go. Quite spicy in nature with a lemony/orange citrus note. Yet you need to stick your nose into it to gather it up. Tough of garlic at times, though reaching.

Taste follows; light and bland for an IPA yet a bit thin for an APA and quite typical for this heralded 'session ipa' nonsense. At least for me, for it seems that every brewery of note has added a session ipa to their standard lineup and they seem to be doing well. So perhaps I'm wrong for I have been before.

Alas, If I want more than a few, give me a more balanced SNPA anyday.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Overall, good in 3 of the 5 categories, but falls woefully short in the taste category.
This is a fine looking beer. Golden yellow, perfectly clear, with a nice white head.
Aroma is spot on for a pilsner. Bready, crisp, with subtle hops.
Mouthfeel is fine, with a moderate amount of carbonation
Taste is sub-par. The first taste was old root vegetables. There was a lemony aftertaste, but what lingered was staleness.
Overall impression was not positive, based on the taste.
Not sure if this was a bad bottle. I bought it from a place that has the highest reputation for quality.

2.99/5  rDev -18.8%

Nooner pours a clear amber with a fully frothed ecru colored head. Nice rings of foam cling to the glass with each sip. Scent is somewhat muted. And surprisingly so given the notes on the bottle proclaiming light body, but full aroma and flavor. Smell is mildly piney and a touch if citrus. A bready and doughy background that comes through better than the hops. I expected a stronger hop aroma even if it didn't rival stronger IPAs.

Flavor begins with a mildly sweet bread like flavor. It the. Progresses to a hoppy piney taste. Finishes crisp and cleanly bitter. Somewhat bland even given the lower alcohol content. Really lacks complexity and flavor I was looking for in a "session" IPA. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a moderate amount of lively carbonation.

I'm not sure if I'm being harsh, but this one fell a little flat for me. There are better examples of the new session IPA style.

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Late afternoon in body with a bubbly white head that sticks. Subtle aroma grass, mint candy, and humidity and trees. Flavors of wet grass, citrus sweet and tangy, light mint, light hop bitterness. Light in body with light carbonation. I expected a better session from the kings of session pale. The sweetness here doesn't mesh well with the hop flavors and bitter qualities.

3.17/5  rDev -13.9%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Nooner Session IPA last week in their new IPA variety pack. I like session IPA's and I'm interested to see what Sierra Nevada can do with the style, so lets see how it goes. I didn't even bother to decode the bottling date since I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty typical for Sierra Nevada and it's not too eye catching. It poured a pretty clear golden color that took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, watery, pale malt and some bread crust like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart and earthy and spicy hop aroma and the spicy aspect so prominent that it reminds me of the same spiciness that I get from Rye Beers and there's also a light skunky aroma.. This beer had an ok aroma, but the malts were pretty grainy, the hop profile wasn't that great and the skunky aroma wasn't wanted.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweeetness with hops being the first to show up this time and they impart the same as aspect as they did in the aroma with the spicy hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the grainy and bready malts showing up the most with some sweet malts and light doughy yeast flavor showing up in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that doesn't really linger and there's a grainy, pale malt, and a pretty bready aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but I thought it was pretty bland.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a very average version of a Session IPA and I think this is a pretty much a text book example of that with none of the aspects sticking out as being well done. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, it's got the body of a session beer, but the flavor doesn't make me want to keeping drinking it so one would be enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile it was pretty bland and it was a little to heavy on the spicy hops and the skunky aromas was unwanted. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I wouldn't recommend it either, it's just not a stand out Session IPA. All in all I wasn't too into this beer, it was just boring overall and it's not hard to find a much better Session IPA. So far this might just be my least favorite Session IPA's and one of my least favorite Sierra Nevada beers. Better luck next time guys, I appreciate the effort, but this one just didn't work for me.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm not big on the idea of session beers in the first place, but I did just come home from jogging, this was cold in the fridge, seemed ideal for the situation. Sweet, watery, corn smell with faint hops. Not as bad as that sounds but not a robust smell, either. Medium straw color, lots of lace. Mildly sweet taste, small hops presence, little after taste. Best served as a cold beer on a hot day.

3.19/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a mason jar. Come out transparent dark golden color with a huge frothy head.

Nose is hay and pine, earthy overall and subdued.

Taste is balanced and subdued earthy hops and malt. Nothing sticking out at me. Very well balanced but no signature either.

Mouthfeel is smooth, not watery. Good carbonation.

A decent beer, my first "session IPA" but I would try another before trying this again.

3.22/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12 FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass. PKGD 01/29/14.

Appearance: Pours a thin light brown/dirty water colored body with a light white head.

Smell: Aroma is metallic hops, slightly fruity and sweet malt.

Taste: Sharp bitter spicy hops, slight citrus, thin biscuit-flavored malts, with an overall watery flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is decently full despite the watery taste, which is to be expected with a session IPA. Nice, characteristically Sierra Nevada aftertaste.

Overall: Just not a great beer. Harshly bitter and unbalanced. There is a reason why IPAs need a decent malt backbone. If Sierra Nevada dialed the bitterness back a hair, this might be a nice session beer period. Otherwise, I could not see picking this over the more balanced, and much more flavorful, standard Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I think I prefer Lagunitas Daytime in this category.

3.22/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden color. The head is three fingers high, eggshell in shade, and very sudsy in texture. Retention is pretty good, too. As the head fades, some minor patches of lacing are left behind.

S: It smells much like I'd expect a hoppy ale from SN to smell like - that is to say, it's loaded with floral, piny hops - but there also seems to be an increased hint of lemongrass compared to others. Malts are faint. Apart from a touch of soap, the aroma is very good in general.

T: It's bitter right from the start, with a strong lemongrass flavor. There are a faint touch of crackery malts to finish it off, and MAYBE a dusting of grapefruit as well. All in all, very simplistic, even for a 4.8% beer.

M: This beer is really light - duh - and dry. Since the bitterness is front-loaded on the palate, it doesn't have a particularly harsh finish. In fact, it's kind of creamy. It's not the most effortless drinker, but it feels good in the mouth.

O: Not bad. Having said that, it's rather bland. A truly great session IPA/hoppy blonde can mask its low strength quite well - the only thing this does to betray that is the creamy mouthfeel. Worth a try, but I wouldn't buy six packs of the stuff.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I didn't much like this one in pretty much all facets of this tasting.
It pours a hazy golden color. The head is white and frothy in structure but in general looks unappealing.
The aroma is dank earthy hops that borderline stink then being earthy in smell. Light malts pull up the rear.
A dense flowing but bitter beer. Tastes more like a malt beverage of some sort. As the beer warmed there was a slight lemony aftertaste but it's barely worth mentioning.
Sierra Nevada makes good beer, this is not one of them.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Hazy pale gold with a large amount of suspended particles. Decent white head with good lacing. Smell is mostly floral hops. Taste is floral light grapefruit hops with minor malt for backing. Mouthfeel is light to medium and adequete carbonation. Overall a decent "light" IPA. Bottled on date is 1-29-14 so take that into account . I would rather they bump this up to about 5.5% to get a bigger flavor profile.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA has a thin-to-medium, off-white head, a mostly clear, golden appearance, with lots of powdery, white sediment suspended throughout. The aroma is of subdued pineapple, hop resin, and white bread, and the flavor is of the same things. Bitterness is noticeable, but limited. Mouthfeel is light to medium and a bit slick, and Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and mellow.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Well this beer looks great. Unfortunately that is the highlight here. The nose smells like dead grass, or something as equally interesting. Flavor is just...bland. No punch. Nothing interesting. Kind of a out of whack mix of malts and not enough hops. This is definitely a miss. Haven't had a beer this bad/lame from SN ever, from what I can recall.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Straw colored with a tinge of copper. This pours with a minimal pencil head and leaves very little lacing.

S: From the moment, I poured this into my glass and could smell it, I knew that it wasn't what I was looking for and is nothing like Stone's Go To IPA. This has a characteristic smell to me that I have associated with standard beer, like Yuengling (what my Dad drinks). It just smells like a macro lager to me. I only get some pine, and that is when I am hunting for it. I got one whiff of something like a normal IPA, but it was gone in an instant. No amount of swirling would bring it back.

T: It just reminds me of a mix between Yuengling, Rolling Rock and only the slight hoppiness of an APA. This might be sacrilegious, but it just doesn't come across as an IPA and definitely not a session one. I will say that I haven't had their Torpedo yet, so this might be what a session Torpedo tastes like. A hint of pine hops here but that is not.

M: Mostly smooth with only a tiny phase of bumpiness. Normal mouthfeel, probably the best part about this beer.

O: I might just not like the style of Sierra Nevada's traditional IPAs. However, their beer camp black and red ones were both good. I mean I didn't like DevESTATEtion. To me, Bigfoot is their best DIPA (yes, I know it is a barleywine and I believe it is their best beer that they distribute). I guess it is good that it doesn't taste like what you would think of as a session IPA, but it is great in that it has normal mouthfeel and taste (just not one that I like).

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz bottle from teh 4-way mixed twelve pack. Orange color, clear, good head (Sierra Nevada always does). Aroma is muted hops. Flavor is a light IPA, mildly hoppy, to be honest i was expecting a little bit more but it was a solid beer. I would not buy sixers of this though with Go-To IPA and the new Easy Jack on the shelves.

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the 12 pack purchased at Market Basket
Pours a deep straw color with a huge fluffy bone white head that persists forever and makes it difficult to pour. The aroma is odd here as it smells more like a pilsener than an ipa. Brady maltiness with hints of fruit and floral spice. The flavor is light watered down maltiness thats crackery and bready. Earthy spicy hop flavor is there to keep things in check. Light to medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a light resinous watery mouthfeel. Seems everyone is jumping on the "session" ipa bandwagon these days, I just don't get the appeal. I don't need a watery thin unbalanced brew to drink in the summer, and frankly I don't think it will be the next big thing like so many brewers are hoping.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

a. beer is clear, bronze in color with a 2 finger head on the pour that lasts quite well. The head is fluffy in nature. Lacing on glass.

s. Smell is of wheat beer, like bud, nothing reminding me of an IPA.

t. Taste is good. Just good. Not great. Not terribly hoppy maybe a bit in the finish. Ordinary, but good.

m. Gritty, not as smooth as I would like. Little to no body

o. This might be the works SN beer I have had. Disappointed. Will only drink more because I have the 4 IPA Case.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- rich, creamy pure white head atop a clear, deep straw colored liquid. Excellent head retention, and the lacing is equally impressive. There a lots of very fine, slow rising bubbles.

S- lightly toasted barley, herbal hops. It's delicate and balanced.

T- water crackers, grassy, really light bitterness. This could pass as a a pale ale, and a light one at that.

M- light, velvety carbonation. It's still somewhat crisp. Watery finish.

O- it's a "session IPA". It is really light, but very drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours light amber into a globe glass with copious amounts of head, three fingers at the pinnacle with pretty good retention and a nice coating of lace.

Initial whiff is honey grains and yeast. Very much like Sierra Nevada Pale with less citrus and pine hops. Hops are a bit floral with some pine mixed in but overall very poor showing for an IPA.

Pale malt base is bready with honey sweetness and some raw grainy notes, pilsner-like. Hops flow in herbal and with pine showing up late in the drink and carrying on through the aftertaste. Lingering medium bitterness with chives, pine and bready dough to finish.

Crisp carbonation with a perfectly sessionable body. Alcohol is not a factor and the lingering bitterness gives off the impression of drying. A clean easy feel.

Well, this beer sure is easy to drink but so are pilsners and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which have an identity unlike this beer which dabbles in IPA bitterness, pilsner/amber malt and not enough flavor or aroma hops. I generally like what this brewery pumps out but falls off the mark.

3.35/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 1/22/14 at 45 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of a lager
Head average (3.5 cm), off white, creamy with some rocks, rapidly diminishing to a partial layer 4 mm thick
Lacing very good, festooned across the majority of the open glass, with mostly fine to small bubbles
Body medium yellow, slight haze
Flavor starts with citrus, quickly diminishes to a slight bitterness, not unpleasant. No alcohol, no diacetyl, slight but noticeable malt presence.
Palate is light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

At four months, this “session” IPA is showing its age. Hops are still present but very weak. The malt is beginning to come through. It is still passable but not desirable.

3.36/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This IPA fits the bill of a sessionable IPA.
In a pint glass it was gold in color. There was a white head with a little bit of lace.

Floral aroma with a little touch of sweet malt.

Flowery, piney taste. Again there was some malt, more bready than anything else.

On the hoppy side.

Fairly good beer, one you can drink a few of.

3.36/5  rDev -8.7%

The last of the three new IPA's in the new Sierra Nevada IPA sampler 12 pack.

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a light amber color with a huge head of pure white foam. The head has a fantastic level of retention, slowly fading to leave a spider web motif of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heaviest of a pine hop aroma with notes of some grass and herbal smells as well. A very light amount of a biscuit smell as well as some skunk smell (which I know is not due to age or light; as its birth date is 1/29/14 and it was keep in the dark as soon as removed from the 12-pack). A lighter level of a caramel and orange aroma are there as well, and even with the light skunk, the aroma is still OK.

Taste – The taste begins as a crisp cracker and biscuit flavor with a lighter level of a caramel sweetness and a bit of grassy hop. As the taste advances the caramel seems to fade, all while other hop flavors of an earthy and pine nature come to the tongue. These tastes take the taste to its end, at which point one is left with a very crisp and dry moderately bitter hopped flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is super light in terms of its thickness with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. The very thin body with the higher carbonation are good for the session style and dry and hopped tastes of the brew, making for a very crisp session IPA.

Overall – A quite crisp session IPA with an overall very dry feel. While a little more body sweetness may have made it even more easy drinking, it was decent overall.

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.