Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPASierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: DaltonC on 02-23-2014)

2.25/5  rDev -38%

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label and silver branded pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a Sierra Nevada variety IPA 12-pack a couple weeks ago and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery. 4.8% ABV per the label.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Decent creaminess, okay thickness, and decent frothiness. No lacing. Head retention is pretty good - about 5 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent pale copper of average vibrance. Slightly weak looking. Clean; no yeast particles or hop sediment is visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's standard fare for an IPA or pale ale. There's nothing unique or special here.

Sm: Sweet bready malts dominate the aroma. Pale malts. Rosemary. There's some hop character too: floral notes, vague fruit, some slightly dank and resinous notes. But the malts dominate, which is flat-out wrong for an IPA or pale. It comes off more like an English IPA, and it's a bit off-putting. The sweetness is weird. There are off-notes too: light buttery diacetyl and soapiness.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

It's an underwhelming aroma of mild strength.

T: Sweet bready malts, pale malts, some caramalt. The hop notes feel like an afterthought: soapiness indicative that this spent too long in primary, floral character, some unevocative fruit. I'm not finding the citrusy or grapefruit notes mentioned on the label. I do find buttery diacetyl, which drags the flavour profile down.

No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Overall, this is a very generic underwhelming build for an IPA, and lacks balance. The malty sweetness edges out the hop bitterness, which makes this a fundamentally unsatisfying beer in its style. It has some loose cohesion, but really lacks focus; it's not a gestalt brew by any means and I'd heavily reconsider the ingredients selected. Pretty shallow in terms of depth of flavour. Below average flavour duration and intensity. Subpar amplitude.

This really needs more complexity, subtlety, intricacy, and nuance. It's just not bringing much to the table, and in this style you really need to stand out. I'm pretty disappointed. It's not even that pleasant to drink.

Mf: Too heavy and thick on the palate for the lack of evocative and/or diverse flavours. The weight of the mouthfeel also doesn't match the "session IPA" vibe they're going for. I'd even say this has too much heft for a pale ale, at least relative to how much (i.e. how little) flavour there is. Okay presence on the palate. Overcarbonated. Slightly oily. Smooth and wet. Unrefreshing; it's too sweet. Not as fresh, clean, or soft as would be ideal.

Ultimately, this texture just doesn't suit the style or the taste all that well. Subpar execution.

Not gushed, hot, astringent, boozy, rough, or biting.

Dr: A forgettable attempt at a fad style from Sierra Nevada, Nooner deserves to be left on the shelf. It feels like a beer that originated in the marketing department, not in the passion of a brewer. I wouldn't pick it up again and I hope they discontinue it after they've made their buck. That said, it does a decent job of hiding its ABV and I'm sure it will have its defenders (most of whom are probably well-intentioned megafans of the brewery, but I digress). Sure, it's drinkable, but it's hard to really enjoy. Hop fans would do well to avoid this; it brings less hop flavour to the table than even the pale ale from your local mediocre brewpub. Meh.

High D+

2.54/5  rDev -30%

I've been very underwhelmed by every session IPA I've tried so far, and basically think it's a stupid trend that will hopefully go away soon. However, I've been digging on SN lately and was looking forward to trying theirs from the mix pack. Would this be the one that changed my mind?

Unfortunately, no. I will say this 4.8 abv session beer has good color, darker than most that I've seen, and had a huge head of foam, but my enjoyment of it stopped there. The bottle pledges citrus and grapefrut, but I found it to be rather skunky. I wondered about the freshness, but says bottled on 5/5, and I've had IPA's much further out than that taste fine. Taste impressions were watery, weak, more malt than hops, tastes more like a mediocre pale ale. I confess to not really caring for pale ales, which is why I drink IPA's, but this really had little to no hop character to speak of.

Bad bottle? I don't know. As I said I haven't had one of these session beers that I've liked so far but this was really bottom of the barrel for me. Pointless. I got through maybe half of it and actually poured it out. Two more in the mix pack. Will they be drunk? Maybe for sheer hydration, on a hot day, in the absence of any other liquid. Sorry, SN. Love everything else in the mix-pack, though!

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy light golden orange with a big frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is biscuit malt and grassy, almost metallic, hops. Like SN Pale.

The flavor is biscuity malts with pretty good sized grassy bitterness and a touch of fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

Overall, this tastes like what I remember SN Pale tasting like. Would be interesting to do a side by side since I haven't had the Pale in a while.

2.64/5  rDev -27.3%

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass. The Nooner pours a deep golden after allowing for some warming time, perhaps a light copper aside of the light. An inch of soapy foam settles slowly and tosses of some sticky lace on the way down.

The Nooner offers a hoppy aroma from the get go. Quite spicy in nature with a lemony/orange citrus note. Yet you need to stick your nose into it to gather it up. Tough of garlic at times, though reaching.

Taste follows; light and bland for an IPA yet a bit thin for an APA and quite typical for this heralded 'session ipa' nonsense. At least for me, for it seems that every brewery of note has added a session ipa to their standard lineup and they seem to be doing well. So perhaps I'm wrong for I have been before.

Alas, If I want more than a few, give me a more balanced SNPA anyday.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.