Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPASierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: DaltonC on 02-23-2014)
3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased this in the 4way IPA mixed case, enjoyed chilled in a mug.

The color is medium amber with very good clarity with fast rising carbonation visible with thick 2 finger off white cream which clings as lace with a fine bead. The smell is okay but has a slightly odd herbal aroma and an almost plastic phenolic yeast accent, but more of a piney overall hop scent dominates. The feel is very good with light body and semi-high carbonation with mild sweetness and semi-spicy hop presence with a light toasted malt texture in the background leading to a mostly dry finish.

The flavor is decent with some mild pine and herbal hops and slight malt with some light sweetness and toasted taste and mild citrus tinge toward the middle with some light yeast fruitiness adding to the generally balanced taste. Overall this is better than average with a hoppy flavor that is good but the dry nature of the beer makes the hopping seem a little too agressive for such a small beer in my opinion.

Slatetank, Mar 12, 2014

BeerBeast, Mar 12, 2014

neil2me, Mar 12, 2014

ToddHolder, Mar 12, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Finally got the 4 way IPA 12 pack. Love me some Sierra Nevada.
A-looks like a lighter SNPA. Just a tad lighter in color, other than that the same appearance.
S-Very subtle, I think they should call SNPA their session IPA and Nooner their Pale Ale. More herbal than citrus, but theres citrus in there. Nothing mind blowing, but solid.
T-This could go head to head with Founders All Day, but its just a bit more subtle on the flavor. It is very good, but nothing to write home about. But actually, I think thats what they were going for. This would be great during the summer.
M-Ultra drinkable. Think SNPA thats even easier to drink.
Overall, its solid and well crafted, but would I pick this up by itself were it available? Probly not.

Jay_Ulreich, Mar 12, 2014

JT99125, Mar 11, 2014

dfecteau, Mar 11, 2014

bmjivi221, Mar 11, 2014
3.26/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Straw colored with a tinge of copper. This pours with a minimal pencil head and leaves very little lacing.

S: From the moment, I poured this into my glass and could smell it, I knew that it wasn't what I was looking for and is nothing like Stone's Go To IPA. This has a characteristic smell to me that I have associated with standard beer, like Yuengling (what my Dad drinks). It just smells like a macro lager to me. I only get some pine, and that is when I am hunting for it. I got one whiff of something like a normal IPA, but it was gone in an instant. No amount of swirling would bring it back.

T: It just reminds me of a mix between Yuengling, Rolling Rock and only the slight hoppiness of an APA. This might be sacrilegious, but it just doesn't come across as an IPA and definitely not a session one. I will say that I haven't had their Torpedo yet, so this might be what a session Torpedo tastes like. A hint of pine hops here but that is not.

M: Mostly smooth with only a tiny phase of bumpiness. Normal mouthfeel, probably the best part about this beer.

O: I might just not like the style of Sierra Nevada's traditional IPAs. However, their beer camp black and red ones were both good. I mean I didn't like DevESTATEtion. To me, Bigfoot is their best DIPA (yes, I know it is a barleywine and I believe it is their best beer that they distribute). I guess it is good that it doesn't taste like what you would think of as a session IPA, but it is great in that it has normal mouthfeel and taste (just not one that I like).

gillagorilla, Mar 11, 2014

Duesler, Mar 09, 2014

ColdOneKev, Mar 09, 2014

scruffwhor, Mar 09, 2014

GuitarIPA, Mar 09, 2014
Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.