Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPASierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA

good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: DaltonC on 02-23-2014)

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Late afternoon in body with a bubbly white head that sticks. Subtle aroma grass, mint candy, and humidity and trees. Flavors of wet grass, citrus sweet and tangy, light mint, light hop bitterness. Light in body with light carbonation. I expected a better session from the kings of session pale. The sweetness here doesn't mesh well with the hop flavors and bitter qualities.

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Nooner Session IPA last week in their new IPA variety pack. I like session IPA's and I'm interested to see what Sierra Nevada can do with the style, so lets see how it goes. I didn't even bother to decode the bottling date since I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty typical for Sierra Nevada and it's not too eye catching. It poured a pretty clear golden color that took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, watery, pale malt and some bread crust like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart and earthy and spicy hop aroma and the spicy aspect so prominent that it reminds me of the same spiciness that I get from Rye Beers and there's also a light skunky aroma.. This beer had an ok aroma, but the malts were pretty grainy, the hop profile wasn't that great and the skunky aroma wasn't wanted.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweeetness with hops being the first to show up this time and they impart the same as aspect as they did in the aroma with the spicy hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the grainy and bready malts showing up the most with some sweet malts and light doughy yeast flavor showing up in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that doesn't really linger and there's a grainy, pale malt, and a pretty bready aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but I thought it was pretty bland.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a very average version of a Session IPA and I think this is a pretty much a text book example of that with none of the aspects sticking out as being well done. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, it's got the body of a session beer, but the flavor doesn't make me want to keeping drinking it so one would be enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile it was pretty bland and it was a little to heavy on the spicy hops and the skunky aromas was unwanted. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I wouldn't recommend it either, it's just not a stand out Session IPA. All in all I wasn't too into this beer, it was just boring overall and it's not hard to find a much better Session IPA. So far this might just be my least favorite Session IPA's and one of my least favorite Sierra Nevada beers. Better luck next time guys, I appreciate the effort, but this one just didn't work for me.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm not big on the idea of session beers in the first place, but I did just come home from jogging, this was cold in the fridge, seemed ideal for the situation. Sweet, watery, corn smell with faint hops. Not as bad as that sounds but not a robust smell, either. Medium straw color, lots of lace. Mildly sweet taste, small hops presence, little after taste. Best served as a cold beer on a hot day.

3.19/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden color. The head is three fingers high, eggshell in shade, and very sudsy in texture. Retention is pretty good, too. As the head fades, some minor patches of lacing are left behind.

S: It smells much like I'd expect a hoppy ale from SN to smell like - that is to say, it's loaded with floral, piny hops - but there also seems to be an increased hint of lemongrass compared to others. Malts are faint. Apart from a touch of soap, the aroma is very good in general.

T: It's bitter right from the start, with a strong lemongrass flavor. There are a faint touch of crackery malts to finish it off, and MAYBE a dusting of grapefruit as well. All in all, very simplistic, even for a 4.8% beer.

M: This beer is really light - duh - and dry. Since the bitterness is front-loaded on the palate, it doesn't have a particularly harsh finish. In fact, it's kind of creamy. It's not the most effortless drinker, but it feels good in the mouth.

O: Not bad. Having said that, it's rather bland. A truly great session IPA/hoppy blonde can mask its low strength quite well - the only thing this does to betray that is the creamy mouthfeel. Worth a try, but I wouldn't buy six packs of the stuff.

3.19/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a packaged on date of 5/5/14; into a pub glass.
Appearance - gold, tons of carbonation and a towering, bubbly white head! Lacing is fantastic!
Smell - some grass, citrus and pine. Tame, but noticeable.
Taste - lacks the flavor that I've come to expect from SN, however, very refreshing on a hot day.
Feel - initial sip has some hop bitterness, but the ho hum flavor and the light body drowns that out pretty quick.
Overall - love SN, but this is not what I expect from them.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 12 FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass. PKGD 01/29/14.

Appearance: Pours a thin light brown/dirty water colored body with a light white head.

Smell: Aroma is metallic hops, slightly fruity and sweet malt.

Taste: Sharp bitter spicy hops, slight citrus, thin biscuit-flavored malts, with an overall watery flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is decently full despite the watery taste, which is to be expected with a session IPA. Nice, characteristically Sierra Nevada aftertaste.

Overall: Just not a great beer. Harshly bitter and unbalanced. There is a reason why IPAs need a decent malt backbone. If Sierra Nevada dialed the bitterness back a hair, this might be a nice session beer period. Otherwise, I could not see picking this over the more balanced, and much more flavorful, standard Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I think I prefer Lagunitas Daytime in this category.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.