Ovila Abbey Tripel - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Ovila Abbey Tripel
Picture being approved.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Tripel |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: bccocx on 07-10-2014)
3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

AlexFields, Today at 03:20 AM
4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Rlhinson2104, Today at 02:53 AM
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Inspiration and innovation spawning a taste of the Belgian abbey in northern California, the trappist-minded taste of tripel ale comes to life in pure and elegant form.

Ovila Abbey Tripel pours with a creamy and arid weight- hazy straw, the ale delivers a bready appearance with glimpses of chardonnay. The nose picks up on just those wine influences as sparkling white wine, citrus and orchard fruits wrap around a powdered sugar and sugar cookie sweetness.

Its middle blossoms with floral hops, fresh-cut grass, orange, pear and apple. Its sweet and bready taste is gradually replaced with tangy acidity, showing its vinous undercurrent. With white grape, peppercorn, faint cumin and clove working to balance the fruit-forward flavor, its spicy hops begin to show.

Remaining creamy-dry to finish, a fuller appreciation of body is felt as the expressive carbonation reinforces a bready texture rather than a spritzy effervescence. Warm, spicy and firmly bittered with stem and leaf, this American-made tripel has a simpler fruit and spice balance, richer texture and less rustic than those abbey versions of Belgium, but is outstanding in its own right.

BEERchitect, Tuesday at 06:28 PM
3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

Anaxagoris, Tuesday at 06:09 PM
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Peach, a touch of pear, green apple, with a lightly toasted, bready backbone. Dangerously drinkable, for the abv.

barczar, Monday at 12:51 AM

cozmo, Sunday at 08:12 PM
4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Jack27, Sunday at 06:25 PM
3.98/5  rDev +1%

Chill hazed amber colored ale with a small white colored head.

Smells sweet and fruity with a distinct bubblegum aroma. Lesser scent of apricot. Fainter yet are scents of coriander and pepper.

Starts out mildly sweet and fruity. Spicy with a dried apricot flavor. Alcohol is well hidden.

Good mouthfeel.

Overall a tasty tripel from California.

Zorro, Sunday at 01:20 AM

Cramerican, Sep 25, 2014
3.72/5  rDev -5.6%

Drahtschwein, Sep 25, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Kerrie, Sep 23, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

I guess I'll start with the packaging, which is absolutely badass with it's black woodcut monk on a tea-stained label - always something so dark and cool about monks. Pours a gorgeous deep amber, banana hits my nose from a couple of feet away; huge banana, bubblegum, spicy, yeasty funk all in the nose - smells ridiculously good.

Light on the tongue but not lacking presence, flavors presented in the aroma don't back off at all. Sweet and a little hot, but not as much as you would think for an 8.8. Pomme fruit and a bit of cherry on the back end. Nice carbonation the whole way through and finishes slightly dry. Nice. Everything I love about a tripel.

Really masterful, this stuff. Not sure why the other reviews are so low.

BeerWizard, Sep 20, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Ovila Abbey Tripel last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I've never heard of this beer from Ovila Abbey series and since I haven't had a Tripel in a while I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown corked and caged 12.7oz bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a simple label that seems to suit this beer, the label isn't too eye catching, but the smaller corked and caged bottles are. It poured a cloudy slightly darker yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of dense off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking Tripel, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt and bready aroma , Up next comes a fruity aroma that starts off with some citrus rind aromas that lead right into the Belgian yeast with some clove and banana aromas coming through and it seems like no single aspect seems to stick out the most. Towards the end I get just a little bit of floral hops with a very slight alcohol like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma that seemed to be pretty true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight candied like flavor to it with the a fruity flavor being the first to show up, it's similar to how it was in the aroma, but this time the orange rinds don't really show up and instead there's a light apple juice like flavor that takes it's place and it combines with the banana flavors. Up next comes the clove which is just a little lighter than it was in the aroma and it's followed by the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they seem to stick out a little more and the alcohol is hardly noticeable. On the finish there's a light amount of medium bitterness with a sweet and fruity aftertaste. This was a decent tasting Tripel, but it didn't seem as bright as some of the better example of the style.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and true to style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of a Tripel, most things about this beer seemed to be true to style, but it seemed like for every good aspect there was something that was just a little off from where it should be. This beer had a decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me, any more than that and I might start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden when it came to the taste the alcohol was very well hidden. What I liked the least about this beer was that it started to get just a little bland when it got to the taste and it didn't turn out as bright as some of the better examples of the style. I don't know if I would buy this beer again, I didn't love it, but it was priced nicely and I wouldn't turn one down if I was offered it. I can't say I would recommend this as a good Tripel, but I still think it's worth trying once to see how you feel about it. All in all I was a little disappointed with this beer, I've only had one beer from this series and it was the plum quad, it was pretty good so I had good expectations for this beer, but in the end it just didn't come together as well as it could have. This isn't my favorite beer from Sierra Nevada or my favorite from this series and it's not a favorite of the style either, it pretty much falls right in the middle. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little work, better luck next time.

StoutHunter, Sep 19, 2014

JCinder, Sep 18, 2014
3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from 375mL corked & caged bottle into a tulip. My 100th tripel!

Appearance: medium golden hue with a tiny touch of haze and a light effervescence. Head poured a rather thin finger of white foam; usually there's a little more head to a tripel, but overall not too bad.

Smell: sweet malt with a bit of alcoholic heat. Not bad, but it lacks some of the fruity character I so love in the style.

Taste: sweet malt with a little orchardy fruitiness. There's also a little bit of a chalky character (which I like) and a little bit of that alcohol from the aroma. Finish is a little syrupy for my taste.

Mouthfeel: big body with a good smoothness and a pretty good carbonation and creaminess. Not at all bad.

Overall: this beer is a little sweet and I feel like it lacks a certain finesse, but it's a decent enough take on the style.

flagmantho, Sep 11, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

tmcarter23, Aug 30, 2014
Ovila Abbey Tripel from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.