2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,387 | Reviews: 3,152 | Show All Ratings:
Growlerguzzler

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers. Hoppy, fresh, floral. A great value.

If you are an IPA fan, you'll likely love this release.

I was able to get this at a discounted price as a seasonal brew. It's not as great with age, but still great.

If you favor spicy, sweet seasonal brews move along.

03-23-2014 03:26:35 | More by Growlerguzzler
Dsimenson

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium goblet. Nice off-white head and lovely lacing. The color is unfiltered medium amber. The aroma is really wonderful--citrusy hops predominate. The flavor is rich, delightful, strong hops balanced with malt. Mouthfeel is medium thick, with fairly strong carbonation. Overall this is an outstanding ale, different than Torpedo in character, but defines truly from the same family. TMZL below does a much better description of this ale. I just love it!

03-17-2014 03:15:41 | More by Dsimenson
tmzl

Slovenia

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours with large, creamy, billowy, medium sized bubbles, off-white (light orange hue) head. Slow, sticky retention with big bubbles collapsing creates a creamy, medium sized top layer that leaves random, sticky lacing. Clear, golden amber with light haze particles. Golden like sap from a pine three on a fresh summer morning (some poetry shit).

Smell: Some fruity feeling, mostly citrus (grapefruit) and rich pine with light grain and stronger caramel medium light sweetness. Also some floral notes. Refreshing, cleans your nose. Not flashy (which is a good thing in this case).

Taste: Light sweet lemon start to solid malt backbone in the middle, mostly light caramel medium sweetness, connects everything well. Ends with satisfying medium bitterness, pine all the way with light caramel sweetness. Sweetness and bitterness (mostly bitterness) linger in your mouth for a while, teasing you to make another sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation (light crisp), makes it a bit lighter, fresher but still smooth enough. Light dry finish.

Overall: Pine goodness, doesn't joke around, knows what it wants and delivers. Everything as it should be, some would call it boring but the strong pine driven character with solid caramel backbone does it for me.

03-13-2014 17:16:32 | More by tmzl
Grugalug

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a copper color with a large 1.5 finger head that lingers for quite some time. Somewhat hazy and not a ton of bubbles rising to the surface. Either way looks tasty.

S- Quite big on citrus, most notably grapefruit with some other citrusy sweetness. Slight pine and earthiness as well. Smells refreshing.

T- The complexity of it takes you by surprise. Starts out quite citrusy and sweet and the hop bitterness bites back with some abruptness. The pine takes over at the end with a considerable bitterness as well, although not as bitter as I expected it to be. Also, while the malt is subtle it is present. Again, very refreshing, and the alcohol is not present at all.

M- Well-carbonated and even a bit spritz-like. Body is relatively light. Goes down quite smooth.

O- While the smell is somewhat underwhelming, the taste is much more intense and pleasing in my opinion. For 65 IBUs, very drinkable. If you aren't keen on IPAs, this one probably won't change your mind, but it's a really solid offering and it should be a must try for all those that do go for IPAs. Great beer.

03-04-2014 21:27:13 | More by Grugalug
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A 350ml bottle with a BB of Oct 2014. 2013 vintage. Picked up recently from Trembling Madness in York. Described as a seasonal fresh-hop ale, this is a classic that I've been waiting to try.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle conditioned. A hazy reddish-amber hue with visible sediment and medium carbonation. Yields a large head of creamy white foam that lasts for a while before slowly reducing to a patchy surface layer. Some lacing. Aroma of sweet caramel malt with hints of pine resin, weed, subtle citrus peel, earthy yeast and mild stewed hops. A bit like SNPA on steroids.

Tastes of intense aromatic hops and caramel malt, with a stinging bitter finish. Notes of pine resin, dank weed, grapefruit, citrus peel, stewed hops, sweet caramel and earthy yeast. Possesses a strident, spicy bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, with pleasant carbonation and good body. Quite astringent, followed by an aftertaste of pine, bitter aromatic hops and caramel malt.

Rather nice, if not the paradigm shift I was hoping for. Looks great, and the aroma is well balanced. The flavour is OK though the pine-laden hop character lacks depth. Decent body. A characterful brew that goes down all too easily. Worth sampling if you have the chance.

02-22-2014 02:24:48 | More by jazzyjeff13
LampertLand

British Columbia (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sierra Nevada Brewing's 'Celebration Fresh Hop Ale' @ 6.8% , 2013 edition served from a whole bunch of 325ml bottle's purhased for $2.75/2.90 , not sold in 6pack form , butt I'm glad it's available/was @ Metro LS on Shelbourne

A-pour is a pale gold from the bottle to an unclear amber in the glass with a small off white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint

S-fresh PNW pine forest

T-big hoppy IPA , you can still taste the freshness of the new hop

MF-good carbonation , feels full bodied

Ov-great Winter/seasonal IPA , glad I got to try it & definately will recomend it

Prost LampertLand

02-16-2014 00:24:05 | More by LampertLand
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
Golden Brown, med.-thick head, good lacing of course
Smell
Strong hop presence, spices, malt citrus.
Taste
A big kick of pine, bitterness and hops kicks in as soon as this beer reaches your palate. Huge in flavors and doesn’t hold back. I honestly wasn’t expecting it, lingers on for a while.
Overall
This is a very bitter, pine filled beer, that in all honesty was a little over aggressive for me. I can appreciate it though and as I drank through the case of it I bought I became acclimated to it more but still, not for me

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

02-03-2014 17:40:15 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
theteleman

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into pint glass from 6 pack purchased at Distellers Outlet in Poway CA. Every year I look forward to this brew and it never dissapoints. A beefed up Pale Ale from the folks who make quite possibly the best PA around. The smell on this beer is amazing, hops, fruits, pinecone/pine needle(did I mention piney) type smell. The head on this beer is like a fluffy marshmellow cloud, one of the best heads on a IPA I have ever come across, really superb. Lots of hops, this brew has its bitter side but it is matched in equal with malts and whatever else they are using...fruit, spices, crisp on the palate with a warming alcohol lingering towards the end. If this is on the shelfs it means the weather is colder outside, and this is the perfect beer to warm you up on a chilly night.

02-03-2014 04:08:33 | More by theteleman
Jay_Ulreich

Indiana

This is a piney hop forest in a bottle. I anticipate its return next year already.
A- Deep red color, unfiltered, great head and good lacing.
S- As I said, piney hop forest. Wonderful. Magical, even.
T-This bottle cant be that fresh, and yet it tastes amazing still. I get pine, citrus, floral, earthy... its all there. The malt sits nicely in the middle somewhere. I wouldnt call it balanced, but its there. I would absolutely LOVE this on tap. It brings me back to my roots in craft beer, this is one of the first real ales I ever had. It is well designed. There is just something about a "fresh hop" ale. I havent ever brewed a fresh hop ale yet, but I see it on the horizon... Sierra Nevada has never disappointed me. I look forward to each burp lol.
M- This is such an easy drinking brew, so smooth. I would like it to be just a touch thicker, but thats just my opinion.
Overall, this is a solid and fantastic beer. I hope that someday I can brew something that matches the caliber of this masterpiece. If you dig hops like me, and you havent had this beer, then you need to try it. Its only 8 bucks for a 6er where I live and it cannot be beat(unless you grab Torpedo at the same price :)

02-01-2014 00:07:00 | More by Jay_Ulreich
carolinahophead

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is 2013 edition..
Pours a brown gold straw color , nice head with abundant lacing.
Citrus , grass and white spice aromas
Medium body with enough carbonation. Balance bitterness along with hops and the malts working together .
The hops are more full bodied this time. Its a bold ipa.
Overall, its a brew that people can't wait to get and is always well made.
Thanks Sierra for this seasonal and that its a fresh hop ale .

01-29-2014 23:34:04 | More by carolinahophead
Daddyrich

Georgia

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

A-Pours a cloudy copper color with medium head. Some foam retention.

S-Not much going on but my sense of smell isn't the greatest.

T-Great hoppy taste all the way through. Grapefruit and pine tasting.

M-Perfect carbonation with the hops. Stays with you through finish.

Overall-One of my favorite IPAs. Big hop flavor right away that sticks around. I tend to see it in December-January for about $15 a 12-pack.

01-27-2014 03:05:44 | More by Daddyrich
Das_Reh

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

After hearing how popular this was around the holidays, and considering the recent cold snap, I figured it was worth purchasing the last 3 bottles of this winter seasonal from my local shop.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A = Deep copper colored beer, darker than most IPA's I've had. Very good 2 finger head and nice, sticky lacing.

S = Nose is full of pine and some sweet malts hiding in the background, maybe a touch of grapefruit.

T = This is SN Bigfoot all over again... very green, pungent, bitter pine, with the malt struggling to let you know it's there to cut through the intense bitterness, albeit barely. There is a hint of warming alcohol as the beer warms. Dry and coats the tongue in bitter pine. I'm not a huge hop-head like some of the other BA's on the site, but I love a good IPA/DIPA. However, I prefer citrusy and fruity/floral over grassy/piney hop characteristics in my bitter beers, and this beer is overwhelmingly piney in my opinion. I have come to the conclusion, despite having tried only 7 of SN's offerings, that I am not a fan of their PA/IPA's, as they all taste similar in my opinion and lack balance. Not many beers make me cringe and shudder with each sip, yet every PA/IPA I've had by SN has... they're not bad beers (look at the ratings), I just don't like the way they're crafted. Taste is subjective, as I always say.

M = Medium, smooth mouthfeel, somewhat thick for an IPA but not syrupy or heavy.

O = I have 2 more bottles of this, and I'm going to struggle to get through them. I should have bought one to see if I liked it first, now I'm stuck with 2 beers I don't care for very much. If you're a big hop-head or love big, piney IPA's, then this beer is for you. However, if you're more like me and prefer your IPA's to be fruity/citrusy, this may overwhelm your palate as it did mine. This IPA left me wishing I had bought Jai Alai or Two-Hearted instead...

NOTE: After finishing this beer I was left with a sour stomach... definitely not the beer for me...

01-25-2014 06:13:22 | More by Das_Reh
Bierwolf

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle served in a pint glass

Appearance/ Dark amber and cloudy. I could see decent carbonation rising up in the glass. A rich , foamy head of 2 fingers left nice sticky lacing all the way to the end.

Aroma/ Hoppy, piney like a pine tree branch, citrusy background.

Taste/ Big hops and piney citrus. Toasty.

Mouth Feel/ medium bodied and smooth. Easy drink with a residual hop bitterness.

Overall/ Very good beer that I would drink again.

01-20-2014 00:44:26 | More by Bierwolf
TreyIsWilson

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a dark hazy amber with a two-finger foamy head. Heavy lacing.

S - Lots of citrus and pine. Alo a nice amount of floral hops.

T - Just like the smell. Lots of citrus (mostly grapefruit) and pine. There is a good amount of malty sweetness. The finish is bitter earthy hops.

M - Medium body with mediumm carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry and sicky.

O - A fantastic IPA. Deserves all the hype it gets. A true holiday classic.

01-12-2014 02:57:16 | More by TreyIsWilson
Tsar_Riga

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Managed to find a 12-pack at the local Crown last week. I snapped it up to see if the reality lived up to the hype.

A - Incredible white head that lasts and lasts, creating great lacing; mostly clear, orange-copper color. Beautiful.

S - Strong elements of pine, with a note of cut grass. A hint of grapefruit.

T - A clean crisp snap of hop, with some marginal sweetness, but quickly dominated by grapefruit pith and bitterness, closing with full hop bitterness with undertones of citrus.

M - Moderate carbonation leading into some drying in the finish.

O - So this is what all the noise is about. An exciting seasonal that gets deep into what an IPA should be. Perhaps a bit surprised that the citrus is not more forward, since that would seem a natural given the season, but this brew manages to impress without overwhelming. It is a powerful, drinkable brew that I'll be looking for next season.

01-11-2014 02:39:35 | More by Tsar_Riga
dacrza1

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: December 29, 2013... GLASSWARE: Howard's Pub pint...OCCASION: last day of 2013 for Browns fans... APPEARANCE: beautiful amber brown body with a creamy white head that sits resiliently; lacing is total and impressively cumulus... AROMA: cinnamon, nutmeg, and cascade hops; hints if honey assuage the pinecone explosion... PALATE: active, medium-to-full bodied presence; at 6.8% ABV, packs a palatable punch...TASTE: nice malty presence; the balance is impeccable-- "whole cone" aptly describes this IPA impact... OVERALL: among the many holiday brews I've tasted, this one continues to consistently provide a warm, welcoming friendship at an un-Scroogelike pricetag--sessionable despite its weight and strength...

01-11-2014 02:29:09 | More by dacrza1
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass served at Lures

A-poured an amber clear color with one finger head dissipates slowly to a thick quilt of the same.

S-Oh yeah. This is caramel, toffee, pine, hoppy resin, brown sugar, sweet hops in nose. Very nice.

T- Nice and malty with healthy hop bittering and complexity. The hops offer an awesome flavor profile. This beer is awesome!

M- medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. The beer has a creamy feel to it.

O- I am always excited for each year to try each different batch. Finally got time to review.

01-10-2014 16:55:23 | More by reebtaerG
LambicPentameter

Kansas

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station in Kansas City on 12/21/2013, so I'm reviewing from notes. This is the 2013 edition and it was served into a small Belgian tulip glass. My second encounter with this annual seasonal IPA, the last being 2012. I figured I'd actually write a review and update my score from the last time I'd sampled it.

Appearance - Body is a beautiful, jewel-like golden amber color with rich reddish orange undertones and some bright safety orange highlights where light passes through the slight haziness that permeates the liquid. Atop the body sits a two finger head of flour white that dissipates after awhile and leaves nice translucent sheets of lace as well as some faint rings as I drink it down. A very attractive beer.

Smell - Predominantly pine and herbal notes, but with some nice acidic grapefruit and citrus to give it some brightness. But there is also a noticeable graininess that lend some meat to the otherwise hoppyful aroma.

Taste - Grass and light pine, with some herbal bitterness, like citrus rind. The up front hoppy notes are balanced with a nice malt presence, with some notes of light caramel and fresh pretzel bread, and is that some woodiness in there, hiding in the background? Perhaps that's the pine again.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied, with a pleasant chewiness to it for the style and ample carbonation to give some effervescence to the feel. Aftertaste is slight lingering bitterness.

Overall, a fantastic fresh hop ale that I've enjoyed both times I've had it. This will definitely go onto the list of seasonals that I seek out each year. I love the style and I love this take on it. Sierra Nevada representing themselves well, as usual.

01-06-2014 05:54:15 | More by LambicPentameter
Kevin-Wieken

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, California
---from bottle to stemmed tulip glass---

Appearance
Foggy ruby amber, thiiiick head that eventually settles to a nice cap, excellent thick lacing - Beautiful

Smell
Slight tropical fruit aroma, herbal hops, bready and grassy.

Taste
Grapefruit pulp, caramel malts, hints of lemon, bread.

Mouth-feel
Very bubbly, medium bodied, extremely hoppy. Good balance of bitter from season fresh hops to malty sweetness. Finishes dry with notes of grain.

Overall
Hits all aspects of the american IPA. Earthy, herbal, citrusy - All while remaining drinkable, bitter, sweet, and delicious. Can it not be winter forever??

01-06-2014 04:24:32 | More by Kevin-Wieken
Act25

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Winter IPA. Mo' betta' bitta'!

A: Classic and worth it. Pours a bright but slightly hazed amber. Darker than most IPAs in color and head color, the head is dense, lasting, lacing. Winter (more better bitter!) 4.25

S: First with powerful citrus and grass, includes pine resin, and aging flowers. What Sculpin is to juicy fresh, Celebration is to wintery, harvest, indoors, wood fire, slightly damp foods, not just picked, but aged and smoked. 4.25

T: Follows the smell, with aged, smoked over tones to an otherwise familiar powerful IPA profile. Like Torpedo from the spring house or the cellar. Thick bread crust spread with pine/rosemary/marmalade. Finishes powerfully smokey/ bitter. Very lively hop profile, sharp, pungent, spicy and bursting with flavors. 4.25

MF: Lots of feel arc from a medium / creamy start to a lovely drying, bitter sharp finish. Leaves your mouth in a great place. 4.25

O: A top IPA. Must be tried and cellared. 4.5

01-02-2014 00:25:09 | More by Act25
I3eck

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle -> Wine Glass

A: Dark tea-colored with a sweet red hue, 3/4" light beige head that hangs around for a long time, suspended sediment, nice thick lacing that still coats the glass long after the beer is gone.
S: Citrus and pine hops, slight dried fruit and floral notes, and more hops.
T: Surprisingly malty up front, caramel, grapefruit, citrus hops with a nice long lingering finish. This thing is solid.
M: Great CO2, medium-full bodied, nice warming effect at the finish.
O: This is one of my favorite beers. This has everything I would hope for in a beer: balance, complexity, presentation, and of course plenty of hops. Well done Sierra Nevada.

01-01-2014 01:48:00 | More by I3eck
archyquaffer

Montana

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the stubby bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour brings about a 1/2 inch frothy, off-white head. This proves moderately sticky, leaving a big island of foam in the middle and wisps of lace along the sides. The beer is a ruddy golden brown with light carbonation.

The aroma is surprisingly subdued, with light floral hops and hints of sweet malt. The flavor itself is fairly hop forward, but not overly so. Plenty of citrus and pine tones without completely overwhelming the malt flavor, which manifests as a general caramel and bready sort of base. Some lingering bitterness on the tongue which is a bit more earthy than the other hop notes, and lends almost a nutty flavor.

This is a very balanced and hence easy drinking IPA. It makes a nice sipping-session beer, which I am enjoying on the final weekend of the NFL regular season. This beer complimented very well with hot wings and a variety of other foods.

12-30-2013 02:37:58 | More by archyquaffer
AwYeh

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled Nov. 13, 2013.

A: Just slightly hazy golden copper, with towering frothy head and lots of lacing.

S: Resiny, piny hops with a light earthiness/herbal aroma. Some citrus peeks in along a healthy dose of bready malts.

T: Delicious pine flavor, strong and bitter with a lot of tangerine and grapefruit flavors coming through too. Very solid flavor, with just the right amount of malts offering sweetness and balance.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation a little softer than average, creamy, lightly dry and sticky.

O: It's incredible that such a great beer is so widely available and affordable; something that I look forward to every year.

12-30-2013 00:51:52 | More by AwYeh
BradT

4.34/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have this on tap right now, and good enough not to get tired of. Very nice citrus hop, but I don't get as much of the Christmas beer taste as others do. I'd drink this long before I'd drink most other Christmas brews. It's a tastier version (sweeter, heavier, etc.) than the SN pale ale, which is amazing in itself. Try it, you'll like it.

12-28-2013 03:23:10 | More by BradT
Hopinion

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

The one type of beer that is severely lacking in Portland is the Christmas Ale. I have since given up a search for something to replace Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus, and Thirsty Dog's Twelve Days of Christmas. Even though Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is a Fresh Hop Ale and has nothing to do with the style it is very nostalgiac for me. I remember driving to Munster, Indiana with my best friend and finishing the night off with a Celebration Ale.

Ironically, even though I am aware of the style I still detect other notes normally found in Christmas Ales, such as nutmeg and coriander. It must be the power of suggestion. As a Fresh Hop Pale Ale, this, just like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, is a gold standard beer.

It has wonderful citrus notes on the nose. A solid malt backbone, with light lacing on the glass. With gingerbread and nostalgia intact, this beer is a Christmas favorite. If only I could find a substitute for my Christmas Ales.

12-27-2013 19:32:10 | More by Hopinion
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.