Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
to view more.
Ratings: 9,356 | Reviews: 3,357
4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into pils glass. Dark amber orange. S:Caramel, vanilla, and a fruit. T: Caramel, small vanilla, and maybe plum on that fruit. Bottle dated 11-19-14. This is really good. If fresher is any better I couldn't stand. SN beers do last.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very well crafted considering the volume at which it's produced. I grab this one every time I see it during snowytimes.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Sierra Nevada are like the Tiger Woods of beers - they play a sharp game of golf, and cheat on their Swedish wives... err, no, that analogy doesn’t work, how about Sierra Nevada are like the J.K. Simmons of beers - consistently undervalued for their work and quietly brilliant, plus they won an Oscar that they thoroughly deserved (or at least they would if there was a beer equivalent of an Oscar). I’m happy with that revised analogy. Now on to their Celebration Ale - this is a Winter Ale with a difference - all IPA, no spices. This will be awesome-sauce.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy toffee brown-tinged amber body with a sticky 1 centimetre off-white head. There’s a decent amount of protein in the head, Sierra Nevada have got to be happy with that, I know I am. 9/10.

S: Malt forward with a biscuit/caramel combo, followed by hints of piney/citric, it’s certainly not as big on the hops as Torpedo, we’ll see how it comes out in the flavour because sometimes you do get big hop flavours in brews without big hop aromas. In Sierra Nevada we trust. 7/10.

T: The good news: This is one smooth IPA. The bad news: Sierra Nevada’s own Torpedo IPA scuttles this brew [nautical puns anyone?] with hops, more and more HOPS! Palate-wise SNaCA (as I am henceforth calling this beer) has a big caramel/biscuit base with hints of pine/citrus hops and a rather sharp bitter finish on the edge of your tongue that carries through to the aftertaste. This needs more hop flavours and less hop bitterness (which is entirely possible - my last homebrew was all tropical hop flavour without bitterness). 7/10.

M: Medium bodied, slightly oily hop presence with a light but dense carbonation. Almost the exact same mouthfeel as the Torpedo. 9/10.

D: Missed opportunity from the makers of the mighty Torpedo. This is a fresh hop IPA that has bitten off more than it could chew - too malty, not enough hop flavour, unnecessary sharp bitter edge, above-average aroma. Those are the negatives, on the plus side it is a hearty, smooth and half decent IPA, I guess I’ve been too spoiled with Sierra Nevada’s other offerings (oh yeah and Founders, Deschutes, Ballast Point, the rest of the west coast, et al.) to give this a higher rating. [err, best before: 10.24.14... disregard my ENTIRE review now!] 7/10.

Food match: Staring at the label with the snow-cover log cabin made me think of a hearty beef stew by a nice warm fireplace watching the embers die, or cake.

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm drinking and reviewing this a little late in its life, but it was well-stored and is a sturdy brew, so bear with me. Dark, hazy, amber in color with rocky, inviting, yellow-tan head that retains so well I'm having trouble pouring the rest into my glass (more than a film all the way to the end). Smells like oranges, then raisins or other dried or candied fruit. I also was just barely able to notice the caramel. Not very strong aromas in this IPA. Mild hop bitterness, grapefruit, citrus rind, caramel, and again raisins on the palate. Generally I would associate this last sensation with aging, but I think in this case (as in a number of other beers) it could be a combination of the hops with the caramel of the malt. Slight black pepper notes, also. Mouthfeel is as expected, a little stiffer and stickier than water at first but fizzing up and smoothing out if not swallowed too quickly. Overall, not a bad beer, a great one in fact, but overrated, not that I have any complaints. I say that having had it a few times when it was younger as well, enjoying it, but not being astonished.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: golden
Smell: floral, piney
Taste: similar to the Torpedo but with a more fresh hoppy taste
Mouthfeel: light, crisp
Overall: a very bitter fresh hop beer, great on a warm day

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Brilliant copper amber under a 3” thick cream colored foam collar that hugs the glass.
S: citrus, malt and some grass.
T: Big citrus and herbal hop entry supported by a sturdy malt backbone leads to a bitter citrus rind finish.
F: Creamy smooth, medium soft, medium full body.
O: A hop driven beer that is at its best young.

2.36/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I either am just not into hoppy beers yet, or I haven't found the proper hops. It's not bad for the first 1/4th of the beer, but after that, it's just too much for me. I guess I just don't like a ton of American hops, because I don't find Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA to be that bad (it supposedly uses Australian hops).

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent IPA. The first time I tried it was today and it tastes great, it also gives off a nice smell. One of my favorite IPA's at the moment.

4.48/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

*transferred from old notes - 1/1/2014*
12oz bottle poured into a stemmed tulip. There’s a sweet, roasted aroma that emerges from the pour almost instantaneously before my nose was anywhere near the glass. As it settles, pine and citrus notes become noticeable, as well as a very faint trace of chalkiness. The creamy, foamy, egg-shell white head lingers for awhile and laces the glass as it recedes. The beer itself is a hazy, bright orange (pumpkin color) with noticeable particulate floating within. At first sip, it starts out with a heavy hand of hop bitterness that gives way nicely into a mild sweetness and a more subtle bitter quality. It’s mostly a crisp beer, but not as dry as other IPAs - there’s some stickiness to it which blends nicely with some malty richness at the swallow. There’s also a pleasant warming effect to it to go with the above average carbonation. The aftertaste lingers for a bit mainly consisting of pine and resin with some toasted malt flavors. Nothing about this beer jumps out as "Christmas-y" as the name might hint at, but I don’t get the impression that’s was Sierra Nevada was going for - definitely a pleasing cold-weather IPA to keep warm with.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

(Draft; revisited) at Main St. Brewery in Pleasanton. Not as good as back in December (4ish). Getting a tad stale but not bad overall.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

Had it on tap a couple times. Maybe I just don't get it? Didn't love it.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%

Deep orange colored and a little hazy beer with a huge 4-finger high beige, fluffy, head. A LOT of lacing stays on the glass!

Nose: Tropical fruit, orange marmelade, caramel malt, bread and pine.
Taste: Bitter hops, dried fruit, red berries, pine, caramel malt and grapefruit.
Body: Medium body and carbonation. Great taste with balanced bitterness and sweetness.
Great beer!

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle. Wow. By far the best winter seasonal I tried. Love the head and mouth feel. Found the last sixer at local beer store . Do not want to miss this one

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am not going to do the traditional review on this ale as it happens to be the best seasonal beer that I've ever had...if you enjoy fresh hops, this is the beer for you! It is crisp like a cold and snowy winter night and yet the hops will warm your senses like the wood that's burning in the fire place...there is nothing that is so close to a perfect seasonal as this one! Sierra found a way to put the joy of winter in a bottle!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from a 12 pack
Full disclosure; Total wine has a clearance section for seasonal beers near the the end of their season. I picked this up for $9.99. Label says it was packaged 11/25/2014.

Pours murky orange with a fluffy 3/4 inch, "surface of the moon", like head, that sticks around for a while. I can't say enough about the appearance of this beer's head .I'm giving the look my first 5 ever.. Good lacing all the way down the glass.

Smells of orange citrus with a little nutmeg - cinnamon .

The taste is slightly different then the smell. I couldn't smell the malts but I can sure taste em . Got that slightly bitter hop finish.

Great feel. It's got that "quaff my thirst" vibe due to the excellent head

Overall an excellent beer. It's nice to find a great IPA that only comes out in the winter. I usually switch to porters and winter warmers in late September but I will be looking for this IPA next winter.

Bravo !

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Decently balanced. Hops are fairly strong but no stand-out flavors here. Quite drinkable though. The bottle talks about "pine and citrus hop aromas" and I get some of the pine but not so much the citrus.

3.57/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

T:
-starts with sweet malt and strawberries
-then huge resiny,piney notes
-orange,citrus,mango,peach take the backseat
-well carbonated
-finishes with grapefruit and a huge hoppy note
O:
nice, but too bitter for my tastes

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a terrific Amber/orange colour with foamy head that dissipates to a thin film

S - Loads of citrus, pine nuts, on the nose with some sweet malts

T - Sweet maltiness with tangy citrus fruits including bitter lemon, grapefruit with a hint of spice

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation

O - An interesting but fairly good IPA , slightly too tangy and bitter for my liking but offset slightly by the sweet malt. Overall pretty good and worth a try but not as good as the Torpedo.

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The Best Christmas Beer period!

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic Rich deep copper IPA. I look forward to this every year. Classic!

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I prefer this over Torpedo

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

As a staunch SN supporter, I am glad they are putting out quality like this...

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber color, very aromatic, roses, yellow grapefruit, nutmeg, bitterness is on the point, smooth on the palate, this is very charming one, very fresh and dry style, medium bodied, well-balanced, delicious.

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

decent winter brew, not my favorite, but drinkable...

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Very lingering hop presence. Overall about a 4/5

to view more.
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.