Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,292 | Hads: 9,409

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

A. orange to slightly red with two and a half fingers of fluffy head.

S. wonderful grapefruit citrus notes.

T. smooth nicely bitter with good grapefruit flavor and slight malt and great aftertaste that keeps you drinking.

MF. smooth with very light carbonation.

O. love this beer very favorful and delicious, very easy to drink also

This is my first review hope as a newbie everyone likes it.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

poored a cloudy copper with large amounts of off white head that slowly dissipated to a film but leaving a lot of lacing in the process
smells floral, lemon, with a bitter hop smell
tastes of the same as the smells just much more prevalent finishes with a lemon after taste.
light crisp feeling in the mouth very pleasant
very drinkable especially for IPA fans

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass served at Lures

A-poured an amber clear color with one finger head dissipates slowly to a thick quilt of the same.

S-Oh yeah. This is caramel, toffee, pine, hoppy resin, brown sugar, sweet hops in nose. Very nice.

T- Nice and malty with healthy hop bittering and complexity. The hops offer an awesome flavor profile. This beer is awesome!

M- medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. The beer has a creamy feel to it.

O- I am always excited for each year to try each different batch. Finally got time to review.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

SN had been slippin' the last few years on this brew. They changed it up this year. Historically, this beer has some berry and nutmeg/spice flavors, but it seems that they dropped that and went to a pure hoppy IPA.

It looks great when poured into a glass. Nice dark copper color with a nice heavy head.

The smell is of hop and citrus. The spice that this brew had in the past seems to be either gone or greatly diminished.

It tastes as good as it looks and smells. Heavy on the hops, start to finish. Wonderful winter beer. It was actually cold for a few days and I had to go outside and have a seat and a fine brew

I brought some to my neighbor's house and they were blown away. Then I told them that it was available at the local grocery store now that they've expanded their beer selection they were beside themselves.

the mouthfeel is great and it is very drinkable. These can sneak up on people as they do not taste like they have a ABV of almost 7%. That speaks of how well balanced it is. Heavy on the hop heavy on the alcohol.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a wonderful brew. It has a decent apperance. There wasn't much of a head and just a little lace. That took points away from the apperance.

The smell is that of a good IPA, very floral and citrusy with a bit of malt sweetness.

The taste is exceptional with different flavors coming in at different times. There is a nice sweet maltiness to go along with the bitter fruitiness of the hops. Well balanced with the hops upfront.

Mouthfeel is great, it is very smooth with sublte carbonation.

Very drinkable and very buyable for 5.49 a sixer in Toledo Ohio.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle. Wow. By far the best winter seasonal I tried. Love the head and mouth feel. Found the last sixer at local beer store . Do not want to miss this one

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours dark amber/red color with a 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are decent. Has a nice piney aroma. Hints of citrus. Nice smooth piney hop with good transition from the preceding sweet malty taste. Very fresh taste. Bitter, fruity taste at the end with a good bitter, soapy aftertaste. Seems a little different from last year's version, but I like it even better. Tastes like it may have just come out of the brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer pours a dark amber color, and is a cloudier than many of the IPA's I drink. There's a think off-white head and good lacing that remains long after the beer is gone. The smell has the appropriate pine needle scent of hops, but it isn't overpowering. Taste wise, this beer really shines. Every sip is a crisp bite of hops. One of my favorite brews, and I look forward to picking up a few cases every winter.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

The 2014 batch is as good as ever. You can't go wrong with Celebration Ale. I liked this one long before I really got into IPAs, highly recommended. I am just glad it's back!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A truly great beer from one of the big guys in the business. For me, it is the hop/malt balance that makes this beer so special. Even with all the other excellent IPAs on the market, I look forward to Celebration every year.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

From a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy copper with a rocky tan one-finger head. This ale has nice carbonation and is bottle conditioned with bubbles rising and particulates settled at the bottom of the glass. The aroma is light and grassy with fresh pine notes, lemon, and honeysuckle. First drink is fresh and slightly grassy with plenty of pine and grapefruit hops. The hops blend perfectly with an earthy note into toasted caramel malt. The finish retains plenty of piney citrus bitterness and freshness. Definitely not a dry finish. Excellent! Near perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

terrific ipa ! lost in all the flavors. rings the palate like a glockenspiel! hums the hops . smooth and wet. drinkability deluxe. i found another favorite. and i hesitate to say its almost amazing. almost...

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

When you have something to celebrate (frequently, if if you like beer) a Celebration Ale sounds better then say Voices in My Head Insane Hops or suchlike. Good claim stake to a name - Celebration Ale - and a tough one to live up to. Been waiting for this favorite IPA of mine and here it comes on Nov 2 (package date 9/30/14). Amazing consistency and flavor for a mass-produced beer. If a small craft brewery made this it would make its fortune; from Sierra Nevada, it's as if Ford mass-produced the GT40 for the price of a Toyota. Cheers.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass
A - hazy amber colour, huge white head that stays fro a while, good lacing
S - citrusy deliciousness
T - grapefruit, pine with a nice malty backbone
M - creamy and smooth and drinkable
O - my favorite winter seasonal, and one of my fav IPAs

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe glass. Beer enjoyed immediately.

A: Beer pours a beautiful coppery amber color with an off-white pillowy head approximately 1.5 fingers in height. The head persists throughout the entire glass and leaves sticky lacing all the way down. Celebration is nearly clear which showcases some pretty aggressive carbonation.

S: Smell is big on the piney hops. Despite the hop domination, it is possible to pick out some malty sweetness in the aroma. Do I detect a touch of alcohol as well?

T: Hops, hops, hops! Sweet lord my palate is bombarded with floral and piney hops. Said hops subside to reveal a tinge of caramel sweetness, only to replaced again by, you guessed it, an incredibly hoppy finish. Hop flavors are so incredibly fresh and crisp it's not even funny. Slight bite from the booze on the finish as well.

M: Oily and mouth coating, just how I like my IPAs. The flavor is carried to every nook and even down into the throat with each sip. Carbonation makes it very crisp.

D: Each sip makes you want to take another in rapid succession. Celebration looses just a half point because for whatever reason the booze creeps up on me something awful when I drink these.

O: Just an outstanding beer. Kudos to Sierra Nevada for producing my favorite American IPA. I look forward to this time of year every year. Can we BAs lobby for Celebration year round? I enjoy it fresh or aged. To borrow a phrase I have used a lot lately, I would bathe in it if it were feasible. Just outstanding.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

2008 version served in a tulip glass.

This one is much more refined and better than the 2007 brew. Last year's selection was more hops than anything else. While it was a great brew, it was not necessarily a winter brew.

However, here comes the 2008. This brew does not fray much from the 2007, but does tastes much more maltier and sweeter. This makes it taste like a winter brew in which one is looking for that special something to keep them toasty through the winter months. This is what I think of when I see the label on the celebration ale: a cold winter's day with my favorite beer.

Great stuff and plan to get another six pack. Get yours before they are gone and you will have to wait till next year.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This is a must have for the holiday season. Nice head, and copper color. The aroma is hoppy but more malty, surprisingly. Taste of piney hops with a touch of bitterness, and a malt undertone. This beer is something I look forward to year after year. Christmas in a bottle!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This is the first time I have tried this beer, 2011. I bought a 6 pack then went back for a 12 pack a few days later. A truly excellent beer. This beer has a large tan head that stick around until you finish. It treats your taste buds to a piney citrus flavor and a medium mouth feel and goes down extremely easy for tan IPA. This beer is available, affordable, drinkable and delicious. Get them while they're fresh!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle -> Wine Glass

A: Dark tea-colored with a sweet red hue, 3/4" light beige head that hangs around for a long time, suspended sediment, nice thick lacing that still coats the glass long after the beer is gone.
S: Citrus and pine hops, slight dried fruit and floral notes, and more hops.
T: Surprisingly malty up front, caramel, grapefruit, citrus hops with a nice long lingering finish. This thing is solid.
M: Great CO2, medium-full bodied, nice warming effect at the finish.
O: This is one of my favorite beers. This has everything I would hope for in a beer: balance, complexity, presentation, and of course plenty of hops. Well done Sierra Nevada.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer is serious business.. I'm usually a bit turned off by people raving about a beer but this is one of the rare instances where it lived up to/succeded expectations..

Pours a nice caramel/amber color with a thick 1 chubby finger head that stays with you for the duration leaving a lace all the way down..

The nose is floral hops with a maple/caramel finish to keep everything round..

The first few sips had me saying to myself ; wow this is a nice, above avg IPA.. But then the clean hops step aside just far enough to reveal a lovely caramel, sweet finish.. This beer improves with each sip and is very easy to drink.

I am thoroughly impressed with this beer.. I will be bringing it into my account on draft and am interested to see what my guests think of this..

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This is one of my favorite beers. I can't rate it a 5, because that should be reserved for Zombie Dust and Flower Power, but it is damn tasty. I am about to embark on a Xmas beer taste test and I have this one lined up against Avery, Deschutes, Great Lakes, Southern Tier and will grab one more to make six.
But...I have had this over the years and it is absolutely fabulous. Why? Dark Copper Pour, tastes is consistent in draft and bottles which is something to be commended on, great hop smell but also notes of spice, full bodied happiness but with a clean finish, and just the right amount of APV. This is not an ordinary IPA, but symbolic with the colder weather and holidays. I had a few left over and had over the summer, and while the beer held up, it is not a good fit with hot humid summer days. Save this tasty beverage for the season it was meant to commemorate.

I am not a professional reviewer, and do not really know how to express how something tastes like so many of the excellent reviewers here. I will say once you savor the pour, the smell and that first taste you will know you are embarking on something special. The body is full, but not too full, the hop characteristics reek of freshness but the beer is also balanced. It is a big beer...meaning after about 3-4 it is time to move on. But, man oh man, this is good stuff. The best beer Sierra makes. I love it.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer is epic. For the price you cant beat it. Amber in color. Nice sweet malts up front with a head that hardly fades. On my third right now and what a blast to drink. Nice stench from the head. Cascade hops are becoming a standard for the nose. Easily evident and fresh which is a nice bonus. Need to find more before winters end. Nose to glass feels like I am in a abundant forest with lots of trees and herbs meandering about. Hats off on this one. Love the sticky lacing on the glass which promotes its drinkable assets. Outstanding IPA...

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A friend and I were doing a lateral tasting of "stouts" late one afternoon. When dinner time arrived we sat down and poured a Celebration Ale to accompany the meal. The contrast in the different styles knocked our palates for a loop. It gave us a fresh start for the evenings festivities. A palate cleansing experience.
Did our afternoon of tasting influence our assessment of this brew? Perhaps, but it awakened us to fuller appreciation.
This is one fine ale. A beautiful balance of flavors. The hops played beautifully on top of the malts. We toasted one another from opposite ends of the dining room table.
Happy Holidays to All!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Awesome, tight bubbles copper in color, leaves a good lace around the glass.

smells very hoppy, strong and sour

excellent floral bitterness, a bit sour. Very good and very strong

bitter in the end, but a fantastic balance at first sip. nice and bubbly, very full. Well crafted.

An all around excellent beer. Very tasty and well made. I'm not a hop head, but I do enjoy the hoppiness and floral notes in this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer is a dark amber with a thick off-white head which leaves lots of lacing on the glass. Aroma is all fantastic hops- spicy and citrusy. There are also some sweet and fruit notes in the background. The taste is also dominated by the hops. Again spicy and citrusy. Also some pine notes. There is also quite a bit of delicious sweet and caramel malt lurking in the background- which the pletiful hop easily keeps in check. Really just fantastic tasting stuff. Lots of nuances come together to really make this taste like the holidays without being at all gimicky. It really manages to have huge hop and malt flavor and still be very subtle. Mouthfeel is great- medium to full bodied, smooth and creamy. Definitely very drinkable. I don't find this at all cloying which I find can be a problem with other holiday beers' drinkability. I reallly love this stuff. I think it will definitely become a holiday tradition for me.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.