Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,292 | Hads: 9,409
2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

6-pack bottles purchased. Poured into a tumbler glass.

Great copper-like amber color, very nice lacing.. hardly any head. Slightly cloudy appearance.

Mild smell, but with a sour-like barley wine odor. Can smell the alcohol for sure.

Taste is just "ok" for me. Caramel malt flavor with a wildly sour and bitter hop bite. Essence of barrel aged barley wine notes... slightly earthy and dirty notes with a bit of pine and dry hop. Tastes stronger in ABV than it's listed 6.8%.

Leaves mouth a bit dry and parched. Bitter/sour finish.

Not too easy to drink mainly because of the flavor. Not a huge fan of this one. Burns, heartburn from the alcohol... not much there to hide that taste. Too malty.

I am a much bigger fan of their anniversary ale. That's about it sofar. Most likely wont purchase again.

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%

I'm still learning what I like and this is my second IPA. Just not getting into them. Take my review with a grain of salt.

A: A great looking beer that had a nice slightly off white head. Very clear amber/copper colors.

S: I could smell this all day long. Had a nice sweet spice to it.

T: I think it was the hops, but it tasted way too bitter for me. Not an awful product, but there was too much bitterness for me.

M: Had a little bit more carbonation than I like.

D: If you like the flavor and carbonation, this is probably a great IPA.

Not my cup of tea.

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The 2006 edition of celebration ale, it pours a deep amber color. There are visible signs of carbonation, with a quater inch off white colored head forming. The aroma has a slight citrusy scent, but surprisingly a strong malt aroma is very dominant. That malt starts the flavor off, and then midway, the citrusy hop flavors become present and linger on the palate long after the beer has passed by. A medium bodied feel, that slowly thins out as it reaches it finally destination, my stomach. This was disappointing, SNCA, to me the standard for being a hop monster beer. Perhaps, my expectations were high, it just seems it falls short.

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks like this one is quite popular across the board – but didn’t do anything for me. Pour was very nice, a clear amber with fluffy ivory head – plenty of sticky laces all the way down the glass.

Strong floral hints did not bode well for the quaff, and yep, very hoppy brew, almost like an APA. No winter spices or enough malts to balance it out – but since this is an AIPA, suppose it meets the style.

Crisp and oily on the tongue, it will warm you up with the 6.8%

2.96/5  rDev -28.7%

Orange-amber color, good head with decent lace. Hops, citrus, pine, alcohol aroma. Bitter, hoppy, citrus, pine flavor. Bitter front, med-full body with a high hops middle and a bitter-sweet dry finish. Lingering grapefruit rind and spice aftertaste. IMHO; more malt for better balance and more spice for more flavor. Better character when allowed to warm. Tried it at ice-cold temp, way too bitter. This is a good beer, but it is too bitter and hoppy for my taste.

2.96/5  rDev -28.7%

I've tried this beer on tap about a year ago, but i had to try it again because i forgot how it taste. the reviews from here were good, so i decided to buy two six packs for me and some friends. I knew it was another ipa or pale ale, i wasn't ignorant at all by the marketing scheme of a special spiced winter warmer and all the holiday decorations on the label. but alltogether its average, it might just be torpedo in sheeps clothing.

2.96/5  rDev -28.7%

If I lived in California and saw snow I don't think I would celebrate. Celebration pours a very clear (anti-hazy), light amber brown shade. Decent foam that hides to the edge of the glass and good lacing.

The smell is not overwhelming but still noticeable. Good hop notice that is mostly piney with some earthy smells kicked in. Overall it's light for an IPA. The malt is worth mentioning as it has a really grainy smell to it.

The taste is more noticeable then the nose. The bittering hops are first to really take notice. A good bite that isn't overbearing. A good bitterness the isn't too oily but pushes the limit and. Although it seems to dominate the rest of the beer. The malt is rather basic and doesn't really support the rest of the beer. The flavoring hops play second as well. Tastes more of a ESB then IPA.

The body is light but the beer is easy enough to drink. Other then the bitterness there is nothing wrong. Overall I wasn't too impressed.

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

If you're a real Hop Head you will love this beer as it should be labeled as an Double IPA style. I really enjoy the regular SN Pale Ale and other PA's and even most IPA's are OK with me. I do enjoy the floral sharp hop flavors generally speaking.

This one has very strong flavors typical of a holiday brew, but they are totally overwhelmed by the bitter hop flavor and smell with little to no spice or malt flavors. This made it not so enjoyable to me as I wasn't expecting. About half way through my palate was numb enough to enjoy the remainder without wincing.

2.99/5  rDev -28%

This used to be my favorite beer, but this year they seem to have screwed the pooch.

Appearance: Poured 12 oz bottle into Sam "perfect pint" glass. All looks well, with appropriate head and carbonation.

Aroma: Celebration has never been exceptionally fragrant, but this year it smells vaguely dank (an ominous omen).

Flavor: What once was a rock-solid malt-forward IPA has been transformed, sadly, to some tepid form of cold tea. Somewhere along the line, some marketing genius decided to append the "fresh hop ale" tagline to this brew and the recipe changed to fit the program. Now, the flavor is unbalanced - where once there was malt complexity, there is now the blandest malt backbone. Where once there was a complex interplay of Centennial and Cascade hops, there is now ... I don't even know what. Yard rakings?

Mouthfeel: Perfectly fine. They f'd up the recipe, but they still have quality control.

Overall: My disappointment with this year's Celebration is rivaled only by the memory of realizing for the first time that there is no Santa Claus.

Have also had this on draft, with similar disappointing results.

Definitely not the Holy Grail I was expecting. How is this an IPA again? Ok, they got away with adding spices to a PA and it still tastes decent; I'll give them that. This, to me, (2006-07) had a red apple flavor, with some hard conditioning. This is better than any winter brew I can think of at the moment, but again; not something I would put high on my overall list...

So, tried this once last year and was a little underwhelmed. Coming back for seconds with this, only this time its a fresh one. See how round 2 goes.

Pours a nice firey bronze with a thick off white head. Great lacing. A great hoppy married to sweet aroma; floral and lemon hops on top a doughy malt base.Flavor is much the same with the lemony and floral hops shining on top a thick somewhat doughy malt base that offers hints of toffee hiding out there. A sharp, piney finish to this. A nice creamy, active mouthfeel. Overall, a nice beer. Kinda reminds me of Odells Town Pump Pale in that both seem like they could just as easily be labeled a dry hopped amber as easily as an (A/I)PA, though this one is certainly far more hoppier and complex than Town Pump. Definitely glad I gave this a second shot.

So I go to Costco to get stuff, and would like to find a case of Torpedo but no they don't carry that. I see Celebration IPA in a case. Its an IPA and i love most other Sierra Nevada beers so I think, it should be something special. After all it is a "Celebration" seasonal been and should be something special. I get it home, eager to try, pop one in the freezer hoping I haven't just bought a case of duds. Well, on my first try I am underwhelmed, in fact disappointed. The copy on the side of the case says "fresh hopped". I think that means at the very least a Hoppy experience like Torpedo (which I love and maybe that's the problem). It also says hints of citrus and PINE?!, Well if it were me I wouldn't use the word pine in copy about beer. Save it for the Potpourri at thanksgiving and Christmas.. and sure as hell leave it out of beer. The first taste in your mouth isn't bad.... then you get the after taste. If you want to say pine.. id say more like turpentine. Its not heavy its sort of a thin processed alcohol taste that's bitter, but not the good bitter an IPA should have but worse. If you are going to say Fresh hopped make it taste hoppy.. I'm so sad I bought a case of it. Xmas beer anyone?

3.02/5  rDev -27.2%

Brown 2008 bottle, with 350ml of beer for 69 pence from a cut-price store in Wellington, Shropshire, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them lined up on the shelf.

I poured it into a 'Hoegaarden Grand Cru' stemmed tulip glass, why not let it live a little before I drank it?

I allowed the whole bottle to enter the glass, so it looked a dull dark orange colour and was obviuosly cloudy. The head was a frothy off-white pile and the beer looked cool in its unfamilier glass.

Hops, hops and hops hit my nose, some yeast smells tried to get out too.

In the taste the hops took over again, wave after wave of them, nothing else could force its way through, a dry bitterness from the said hops appeared to be unchecked, but a slight fruity flavour (apples, pears and berries) did turn up in the aftertaste.

Plenty of body, not rich or creamy, just body.

Pleasant, but just a bit too hoppy for my palate.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

On tap at The Brew Kettle, 2008 vintage. Pours a dark amber with a decent white head. Aroma is nutty and grain with earth notes and subdued hops. Flavor is malt, grain, wet grass and earth. Palate is ok. I have enjoyed this in the past, but now it just seems too grainy with no hops. Don't know if the recipe changed or if my palate is different. Not one I will drink again any time soon though.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Pours a dark red/ golden color. A decent head stays a while and tries to lace. Smells of spiced hops and light malts. The taste follows the same suit, a very bitter big hop flavor up front that bites at the tongue, then finishes with an easier malt flavor in the background. Mouth wasn't so pleasent with the hop bite, and drinkability wouldn't have lasted long, I did not want another. I guess I was just expecting something else, this isn't my style of beer.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

In an attempt to not offend the hop heads of the bunch, I'll be as kind as possible with this beer as it does seem like a good example of the style.

The color was a lovely golden/orange color with a white head full of tiny bubbles. The smell was 110% hops to nearly the point of a flowery perfume.

The taste was all hops with a slight, sweet malt and a very bitter finish that tended to linger on the back of my tongue.

The mouthfeel was neither offensive nor spectacular but again is indicative of the style. I'm glad to get this one over.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Gave thanks to various deities with this one on 12/4/2004. 16-oz. angled shaker pour at the Sunset.

Initial head of ½ inch fluff that is creamy in appearance with some larger stuff going on at the outer edges. Celebratory hop front on nose with just a jack of candy cane sweetness flitting about aimlessly in the eaves. Gaudschalk frizziness of hop that almost stings on the tongue and back of throat and simply engulfs any washing holiday spices that I think must be hidden in there, somewhere. Really seems like this could do with some more mellowing; an oddly low-tide mud flat finishing to the pour brings the party down to a murmur for me.

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Deep amber color.

Smells like sweet hops and a bit of caramel, but my sinus congestion isn't allowing much more in.

It tastes like a typical Sierra Nevada offering, so if you generally like Sierra Nevada you will like this, however not quite my flavor preference. Only slight Christmas notes. Of course there are hops right off the bat, slight hint of sweet, with a little earthiness. Then the aftertaste is burnt toast, and I don't like burnt toast.

The mouthfeel is comfortable, not too tingly.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Decently balanced. Hops are fairly strong but no stand-out flavors here. Quite drinkable though. The bottle talks about "pine and citrus hop aromas" and I get some of the pine but not so much the citrus.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A : looks great! So excited to see the latest, freshest batch out. The 2010, 2011,and especially the 2012 batch were amazing. Huge, fluffy head, proper carbonation, deep amber/ copper color.

S: Mostly California/American ale yeast with some subtle hop aroma . Little, if no malt detected. Overwhelmingly yeasty while expecting so much fresh hop smell. Smells like Sierra Nevada.

T: some mild citrus hops, followed by medium sweet malts and a present back if tongue bitterness. There is a lot of balance here. Hops are hiding behind clean California yeast aroma. Drinks like a slightly bigger Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. This batch is particularly homogenous, having down played hops with an increase in balance. Can't taste fresh hops due to yeast/co2 aroma.

M: great drinking ale. Co2 is spot on, final gravity is perfect to balance sweet, bitter and alcohol. I enjoyed 12 oz quicker than expected. It is smooth, balanced and undistinguished.

O: 2013 aims to be an underwhelming, balanced IPA, a stark contrast to years previous. This beer lacked hop aroma, hop taste, notable character, and had an overly yeasty smell- It smells faintly like a macro. I had claimed this in years past as an amazing, highly recommended beer, but was disappointed this year. Perhaps SN is spreading their operation too thin? I loved their beer camp series, but it perhaps detracted from overall quality control on their most infamous craft beer. Better luck next year , old friend.

2006 edition

A: Pours golden with a 2-finger frothty head with good sustain and lacing.

S: Subtle aroma of vegetal hops.

T: Strong vegetal hops flavor balanced well with a dry maltiness. The hop bitterness creeps through and finishes with a kick.

M: Meidum bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering flavor.

D: I remember this being better last year. Nothing offensive here, just nothing special. A very average beer IMO.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams Sensory glass. These are some sketchy notes because I simply didn't have much to say about the beer...:

A: Pours a nice deep copper, that's fairly clear, with a good head that slowly dissipates.

S: It's fairly mild with sweet malts and cat piss hops. I wish it were less bitter and had a greater amount of depth.

T: Some good malt sweetness, but a bit bitter and sharp. It's milder and a bit more piney than I'd like.

M: A bit thin, but more or less average for the style.

D: Eh, this was about as average an IPA as you can get, if you ask me. I wouldn't drink another one of these.

3.07/5  rDev -26%

Copper color with patchy head. Pungent odor. Decent taste with unpleasant, metallic aftertaste. It has a strange head. definetly a winter beer, why? I don't know. I would definetly categorize it as an IPA. Very hoppy nose. not my favorite from Sierra Nevada.

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

2002 On Tap:This beer's appearance was a small sized ivory head that was creamy and smooth and contained fine-small sized bubbles that was mostly lasting.The body was uncarbonated and clear with a reddish hue.The nose was hoppy and malty with a very bitter and hoppy flavor.The mouthfeel was fairly smooth and somewhat tingly and it was medium bodied.There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.I am not a hop head by any means so this one tasted very hoppy and bitter to me.

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

2003 vintage - note that as my handle indicates, I'm not a big hophead...
Nice deep amber color, huge cratering head that disappeared to almost nothing. Smells hoppy - big, juicy hops, with some citrus. Taste is... hoppy... a lot of grapefruit, maybe some pine, with very little malt sweetness. Tastes a little raw to me, with the standard oily mouthfeel on a long finish. (gotta love the hop burps, though...) If you like big hops, this might be a good example, but it's too over the top for me - if I were going to have this again, it would have to be much more balanced.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.