Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
4.61/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oily sticky hops pound away at the palate... had this beer loads of times, somehow haven't reviewed it... my favorite Christmas release... yes, an IPA but once I see that snowy cabin on front, I know that the holiday season is here... very drinkable despite the relentless hop assault... pine resin in a glass...

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle (date stamp 32821 05:56) poured into a Libby globe porter/stout glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy deep amber. Light tan thin head. Lots of lacing all over the glass - strands, fine crazed lines, islands, etc. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Citrusy, some tropical fruit, underlying sweetness, just a hint of something coppery when first poured, but this went away.

Taste: Very hoppy. Pine, citrus, malt (roasted malt bitterness, caramel notes, lingering bready - like a sweet roll - mixed in with the bitter finish). Hops pop out right up front, then the malt sweetness, then a mixed sweet and bitter finish. VERY well balanced. Hop forward, but just right. Strongly hoppy on the burp which surprised me.

Mouthfeel: Just right carbonation. Definitely some hop oils sticking to the teeth afterwards. Pleasant thickness.

Overall / Drinkability: I can see why this is so highly rated, as I wish I had bought a six-pack rather than just a single. This would work nicely as a replacement for my Nosferatu that I'm running out of - wonderful hops, but with a solid malt backbone to compliment it all and make it pleasurable drinking experience. I could easily have another one in a sitting. I had this with pulled pork BBQ (mustard based sauce) and green beans and it went quite well with food. I wouldn't mind having a snifter of this either though for a cold winters night. The pine and citrus hops remind me of summer on a cold evening. Great beer!

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Slightly hazy copper color with a nice 2 finger head. Really good lacing

Smell: Sweet grapefruit with a just touch of tropical fruit and pine. Slight lemon. The smell in the background that I would usually call caramel reminds me more of maple syrup this time around.

Taste: The more you drink it, the more you appreciate it. As it sits on your tongue, it tastes like sweet grapefruit and orangey citrus. When you swallow, there is a quick transformation into bitter piney hops and a fantastic sweet malt backbone. As it warms, the malt becomes much more pronounced.

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation. Kind of thick, with an oily bitter finish. Lingers for a while.

Overall: This is pretty good. The first few times I drank it, I really didn't care for it very much. I guess that's one of the pros of having a six pack instead of a single; you have to give it 6 tries. I'm not saying I'm going to buy it by the case now, but I'll probably buy it every now and then over the holidays.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

2013 version poured into new belgium globe.

Appearance: Cloudy light amber/orange with two fingers of frothy head. Head builds up slowly and retains nicely. Plenty of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: Sierra nevada hoppiness, sweet, pine and citrus. Smells at lot like torpedo to me but not as strong. Not a strong aroma by any means.

Taste: Pine and citrus hops roll smoothly over the palate and then finishes with a bitter blast and a sweet finish. As the beer warms, more citrus comes out in the hops and the bitter bite is still balanced with the sweet malts on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, feels great.

Overall, this is a very well done IPA. Great citrus flavors come out with the hops and the malts really balance this beer with some sweetness. Only thing that wasn't awesome with this beer was the aroma.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Much of this review was written in May 2012 and based on a 190 day old sample but i chose to keep that content because I saw value in it. parenthetical statements are current in Nov 2013)

Twelve-ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter. The first thing I need to point out is that I LOVED this brew when I had it back in December 2011. This 12-pack was dated 10-26-2011 and I bought it on 16 MAY 2012. I knew from the outset that I was a couple of weeks on the outside of the freshness factor if the brew had been stored properly, and based on where I bought it, I was pretty sure it wasn't stored properly.

Appearance- nice amber color with nice head, heavy lacing and enough sediment to brick a house. (All still the same in 2013)

Smell- smells a little stale, or unhoppy. I am sure this is because of the age. It was still on a shelf though, so I have to call it like I see it... and the smell was not up to par for my IPA taste.(2013 version lacks strong citrus smell, but nice bready malt smell)

Taste- Even at 190+ days old, this one has a great west-coast IPA bitterness. Not really the citrus hops I remembered from a fresh version, but still slightly above the average IPA that seems to be flooding the market from every Tom, Dick and Harry who can get the funds up to start a brewery and buy some hop pellets. (This 2013 is two weeks old, and tastes like manna from heaven, as I expected it would. Like a soft version of Torpedo)

Mouthfeel- Still perfect. Well, close to perfect. Nice carbonation that dies quick on the tongue. Bottle conditioning makes the best mouthfeel out there. This is no exception. (Yep, in 2013 this is even more true)

Overall- I cant wait until October when the 2012 version of this is available. I hope I am not out to sea with the Navy all winter, because after I finish all 12 of these, I am going to notice a void in my fridge. I long for a fresh Celebration. Even a stale one is better than a fresh version of so many IPAs. (I was out to sea all winter 2012, but did get some Celebration and loved it. The 2013 is slightly less fruity or citrusy than 2011, but still as awesome. Worth the annual wait!)

UPDATE: I failed to review the 2012 version, but here I am a year later LOVING the 2013 offering as much as I did in 2011 as reviewed above. I have updated the numbers to reflect. OUTSTANDING.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.