Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Much of this review was written in May 2012 and based on a 190 day old sample but i chose to keep that content because I saw value in it. parenthetical statements are current in Nov 2013)

Twelve-ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter. The first thing I need to point out is that I LOVED this brew when I had it back in December 2011. This 12-pack was dated 10-26-2011 and I bought it on 16 MAY 2012. I knew from the outset that I was a couple of weeks on the outside of the freshness factor if the brew had been stored properly, and based on where I bought it, I was pretty sure it wasn't stored properly.

Appearance- nice amber color with nice head, heavy lacing and enough sediment to brick a house. (All still the same in 2013)

Smell- smells a little stale, or unhoppy. I am sure this is because of the age. It was still on a shelf though, so I have to call it like I see it... and the smell was not up to par for my IPA taste.(2013 version lacks strong citrus smell, but nice bready malt smell)

Taste- Even at 190+ days old, this one has a great west-coast IPA bitterness. Not really the citrus hops I remembered from a fresh version, but still slightly above the average IPA that seems to be flooding the market from every Tom, Dick and Harry who can get the funds up to start a brewery and buy some hop pellets. (This 2013 is two weeks old, and tastes like manna from heaven, as I expected it would. Like a soft version of Torpedo)

Mouthfeel- Still perfect. Well, close to perfect. Nice carbonation that dies quick on the tongue. Bottle conditioning makes the best mouthfeel out there. This is no exception. (Yep, in 2013 this is even more true)

Overall- I cant wait until October when the 2012 version of this is available. I hope I am not out to sea with the Navy all winter, because after I finish all 12 of these, I am going to notice a void in my fridge. I long for a fresh Celebration. Even a stale one is better than a fresh version of so many IPAs. (I was out to sea all winter 2012, but did get some Celebration and loved it. The 2013 is slightly less fruity or citrusy than 2011, but still as awesome. Worth the annual wait!)

UPDATE: I failed to review the 2012 version, but here I am a year later LOVING the 2013 offering as much as I did in 2011 as reviewed above. I have updated the numbers to reflect. OUTSTANDING.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. 2013 label the bottle.

Appearance: Transparent amber body with a very thick and fluffy off-white head on top. Incredible sticky lacing throughout.

Smell: Big aroma. Hops stand out. Herbal and citrus notes also are present.

Taste: The hops break through a great base of toasted malts. Notes of citrus really come through in the aftertaste. The alcohol creates a great warming sensation.

Overall: I am normally not a big fan of IPAs in the colder months but this beer is definitely worth breaking the parade of stouts and porters. This IPA contains more herbal-pine flavors than fruity citrus flavors, which makes this a great tasting brew in the winter. The malts are also incredibly tasty. This would be the perfect beer to grab after walking five miles in a foot of snow to cut down a Christmas tree, then dragging said tree back to your cabin.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle Into Pint

Appearance- Clear, copper, nice head retention

Aroma- Pine, citrus, spicy, floral notes, some malt in the backbone

Flavor- Fresh pine, good firm bitterness, citrus, awesome lingering hoppyness after each sip

Mouthfeel- Medium, higher side of carbonation

Overall- Had this last year first time reviewing this years, and its awesome. One of my favorite holiday season beers. Just so fresh with hops, definately worth trying if not more than that.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass

A: Amber in color with a beautiful soft fluffy head with great retention and lacing. Could not be any more perfect.

S: Citrusy, mostly lemon

T: Fresh, piney, lemon, orange. Malt backbone holds up well for a great balance

M: Medium bodied - smooth - off dry finish.

O: The balance is incredible and makes for great drinkability. I could throw back a few of these without growing tired of it. A classic.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.