Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,295 | Reviews: 3,344
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

burn orange amber with an off white inch thick foamy head.
fruity hoppy aroma, grapefruit and a bit of caramel. rings of lace are left after each gulp.
the taste matches the nose. you can taste the caramel, and the citrus from the grapefruit aroma. hoppy taste, just the right amount.
mouthfeel is very good. its smooth and the carbonation is on point.
overall this is a great beer. this is the first winter seasonal i've ever had that was an IPA, so i guess thats nice for a change.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured amber/orange into a pint glass, had a thick white head with a good retention leaves heavy lacing.

Huge smell of spicy-hoppy grapefruit and pine and a little bit of something sweeter like cinnamon toast. The aroma is absolutely amazing.

Toasty malt and mild spice up front, followed quickly by pine and citrus huge hop bitterness with a very slight trace of malt. Long, fruity, bitter hop finish.

Light-Medium body and very smooth even with the moderate carbonation.

This beer is for the hop lover. There is more complexity in the hop characteristics and olfactory sense than in the malt profile, which results in a surprisingly light yet complex experience. I can't imagine aging it and letting go any of the fresh hop character.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pourd from the 24 ounce seasonal bomber (or bomber+2) into a pint glass.

Pours light to medium amber with thick creamy white head of foam with a good retention. Patience is a virtue. Laces like crazy.

Smell is hoppy cinammon. There are notes of pine and grass that you'd expect from an SN brew, with the winter spice, smells strangely like Christmas.

The taste is wonderful - not being a huge hophead myself, I found there to be an underlying sweetness perfectly balanced with a hop finish. Peppery bite at the finish. Very pleasing aftertaste. Everything is working for me, and still 18 ounces to go.

Great carbonation and mouthfeel.

I can have trouble knocking back the big boy IPAs, but this one practically drank itself. Very drinkable.

Highly recommend.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

SNCA is a perennial favorite of mine. From December through March, it's definitely one of the beers I drink the most.

Pours a crystal clear amber color - very pretty. Nose is dominated by a wonderful hop bouquet - lots of pine, with plenty of citrus and some grass in the background. Pine prevails on the palate, but is well balanced by a nice malt backbone. This is a pretty dry and bitter IPA - which is exactly how I like them. The dryness and bitterness render this brew quite refreshing. If only I had the discipline to hold on to a few of these until the summer months....

Drinkability is high. I often enjoy more than one of these at a time... a great session brew. SNCA 09 is, as expected, excellent.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2009.

Bottle into SA Perfect Pint.

A: I wish all IPA's looked this good. Nice darker hue then your typical ale, with a thick floating head that just grabs onto your glass the whole way down.
S: Nice bread dough notes that remind me this is more than just your typical IPA. There's also some semi-sweet pine pitch in there.
T: Wow, I just drank christmas. Nice toasty malts up front followed by some typical season spices. That was dessert. Now we are sitting by the tree, and there's that hop punch. Sweet douglas-fir with a hint of grapefruit. For as hard as it comes it cleans the palate smoothly.
M: Fairly light overall, would actually like a little more in this area. Maybe I'm just wanting a little more body from a winter brew.
D: I was hoping to age a few of these after hearing good things about their transformation...but they seem to have all been emptied. I didn't think this is what a Christmas beer should taste like, but having had it I wouldn't want anything to change.

A quite good IPA, one of SNs best beers.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

2009 Vintage, 12 oz. bottle.

A: Poured with a generous, cream colored head. Great head retention with lots of lacing. The beer was a nice tan to copper color and rather hazy.

S: The hops give off a great floral and citrus aroma. There also a very pleasing pine tree smell, definitely apt for a Christmas beer.

T: Good bitterness from the hops; the pine tree carries over to the taste of the beer, and blends well with the lingering tastes of citrus. The finish is rather dry with nice bitterness. Barely a hint of alcohol.

F: The hops give a medium body, with good carbonation.

D: A very drinkable beer. The bitter hops blend pretty well with the pine and citrus notes, making for a great balanced beer. I wouldn't hesitate to drink a few more if it wasn't for work in the morning.

I bought a six pack of this beer and have cellared four of them. I plan to try one in six months, then hopefully break out the others for a little gift next Christmas.

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

2009 celebration ale.

poured from a 24oz bomber.

appearance is wonderful for an IPA, while being a bit on the dark side. huge meringue like head, tons of lacing and a bunch of visible carbonation.

though i dont remember this from previous bottles of celebration, the smell is quite boring, just beer-like. smells almost like a dark german lager...bready, yeasty etc. very little of the floral/citric hops i expect from west coast ipas.

taste is just the opposite, nice malts at the beginning, some spicey notes in there, then a big old hop kick, starting off citrus, then transforming to dry with a bit of minerals in the finish. very good, pretty much how a single ipa should taste.

mouthfeel is light, not very sticky or silky, seems average.

A quite good IPA, one of SNs best beers.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Serving type= bottle into a pint glass+ straight from bottle

Appearance= Great with great head of milky brown color (what I look for myself, good head and good lacy finish lol)

Smell= good smell, pine tree christmas-y smell def a holiday beer smell to it.

taste= good taste, piney tree christmas taste of pine and tree if you could imagine. good bitter taste with strong hops flavor. great taste in my book.

Mouthfeel= good mouth feel. not for the weak. this is a strong and powerful beer. I like it alot. but its for someone who loves GOOD beer in my book and understands what goes into making a beer. this has astrong pine tree almost taste and pale ale taste at the end. very good I think. "b" in my book

drinkablity= dont know how to judge it being I have had 7-8 already. for someone who cant handle deep harty beers dont waste your time on a 12 pack, try a 6r for starters, for the MEN who know what they like "A-" great beer!!!!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottled on 10/24/09 and consumed 12/22/09.

A: Dark amber color with an off white head and totally sick lacing on the pint glass. Very nice start indeed.

S: Diggin deep down you can seek out the sticky pine and some sweetness for kicks. It works, but its nothing over the top kind of shit.

T: Kickin hops with a cense of some christmas spice. Its the best part of this brew and the reason in which I continue to pull this off the rack every December.

M: It sticks, carbonation (check), ABV noticeable (proceed with caution), good sipper over time, let the beer warm up and contrast between temps. is my motto.

D: Not even a question, end of interview.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

This has been my favorite beer since before BA existed. Just a note for perspective.

Pour is bright amber with white haed - nice lacing.

Nose describes what the beer is about - fresh cascade hops balaced with sweet malty goodness. Ahhh...c-hops.

Sharp and crisp entry of bittering hops, flavor hops, citrus, and just right amount of malts.

Long, long finish...lush yet bitter.

My favorite session beer - guess it depends on defintion of session.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Light copper in color with a slight haze. Pours with a big foamy head, leaving copious amounts of lacing.

S: A pleasant mix of floral and citrus hops. Maybe a little pine thrown into the mix, but not much.

T: Malty sweetness followed by a firm bitterness. Short finish.

M: Medium in body. Medium carbonation. Decent bitterness.

D: A very good and very approachable IPA. I look forward to drinking more of these.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Ruby color with creamy, lively head.

S: Citrus, grass, and faint pine, but surprisingly balanced by some sweeter, bready notes. Festive.

T: Pleasant bitterness spread out around palate. Fruitier front-end gives way to somewhat grainy mid-palate and a lingering, hoppy finish.

M: Very much in balance. Rich, but not overbearing, with moderate carbonation.

D: One bottle will inevitably call for another.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an American pint glass.

A: Poured a honey-golden amber with a generous tan head that reduced to a thick skim leaving a sticky network of lace.
S: Citrus hops with a bit of grass. Smells a lot like a tangerine. Hints of caramel malts come through as well.
T: Piney and grassy hops with that characteristic grapefruit bitterness. The sweet caramely malt comes through under the hops. Finishes fruity and lightly bitter.
M: Nice carbonation. Goes down easy. Medium body, not oily. A bit of a bitter bite at the end that doesn't take away from the smoothness.
D: A darn fine beer as usual from SN. Definitely one of the best (especially for the price) IPAs out there, and I look forward to this beer every year.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Apearance - Pours a slightly hazy golden copper with a solid 1 finger white head that doesn't stay aropund too long, but leaves great lacing.

Nose- Grapefruit and pine hops, almost grassy, with a slight malt sweetness.

Palate- Fresh grapefruit and pine hops are the showcase with a background of caramel malts.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, medium carbination, slightly astringent.

Drinkability- Easily a session beer.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Review from notes.

A- Pours a semi-hazy amber copper color. Half finger off white head that dies down leaving wisps of foam on the top of the beer. Leaves soapy lacing that clings to the glass sides.

S- Sweet light malts is something that I pick up on at first. This is then over ran by lots of citrus and pine hops. Everything is blending in well. Pine hops come through first along with grapefruit notes behind that. There is a light biscuit malt present.

T- Bitter hops come through in full force with citrus notes at the front. Sweet biscuit malts come into play in the middle. Seems like there might be a light spice note in the middle as well before another light hop bite on the end of this.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation like most Sierra Nevada beers is right on. Clean and crisp tasting in the mouth leaving bitter resiny hops on the palate. Piney aftertaste with this beer.

D- This is a very drinkable beer that I always wait around for. Nice IPA with a Sierra Nevada twist to it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle intp chilled pint glass. Pours a copper burnt-orange color 1/4 inch off-white stayed all the way to the bottom of the glass. Citrus and pine notes. Nice hop bite, bitter grapefruit and pine. Retains a generous malt balance. Nice winter warmth.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from the bottle into a clean pint glass.

Poured dark amber in color ,with a slight off white head. Very thick head ,which came from a higher altitude pour. Leaves very nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S - I detect a good deal of pine and citrusy notes come across the nose. Maybe a dash of sweetness and holiday memories.

T - At first, the ones reminds me of their torpedo ale, maybe it's because of the citrus notes and cascade hops. This one does become more distinct though, when it warms up a bit. Perfect for the holidays. Just the right amount of hops to go with the malts. I think it's a great balance.

M - Medium body. Nothing too heavy but it's not light either. Prickly, if that is even a way to describe it.

D - I could definitely have a few of these. Awesome for the holidays. Pairs great with food.

---

2010 Review

Pours a very nice and dark copper/amber, which is has a slight cream in color, head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - I think it smells just like last years, oh it brings back the memories. Hops come through, grapefruit, pine, citrus.

Taste - I will have to say that this one is just as good as last years, but it is balanced and quite delicious. I don't know what it is that they add to this one, but it's just different enough that it begins with the hop bitterness, then the malts come in to round things out, but not totally even...then the finish showcases a very slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium, awesome carbonation, perfect amount, nice and prickly.

Drinkability - No problem having a few of these, that's for sure. I believe my 12, 12 packs shows my love for Celebration. All around awesome American IPA, that I can't wait for it to show up next year. Definitely a beer that I look forward to every season.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz. bottle.

Pours a hazy orange with some sediment floating around, kind of weird soapy head. All I can pick up for smells is a little hoppiness. Taste is great, very hoppy with tastes of grassy citrus, pine and a slightly bready aftertaste. Citrus definitely starts to show through more towards the end. A little bitter but not overly so. A little more carbonation than what I prefer. Drinkability is the highlight though, easy to drink and session, very good for the price, and tastes great. I will be buying this for hopefully many winters to come.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked this up at Smokin Joes outside J'ville, AL. I think I paid $9 for a sixer. This is the last bottle of the sixer because the other 5 were just so easily drinkable. Served up in my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

A: Off the pour, I am getting a light amber in color. Has a bit too much in the yellow and orange hues department to be amber I suppose. Held to the light it absolutely has a more orange appearance. Pretty clear body, maybe just a bit of haze, may be a stretch to call it haze. The pout got me about 3 fingers of white head, was a bit vigorous I suppose. The head creates a good amount of lace all over the glass, keeping a thick webbing all the way down. Nicely done for sure.

S: Forgive me, I have a bit of a sinus infection so my description the smell and taste may be a bit off. As far as the smell, I am getting a good amount of piney hop aroma. The resin is pretty potent. Behind that I am getting some grapefruit hints as well. Malts are light but present, biscuity. It is pretty fragant, and the aromas go very well together, meshing.

T: Yet again, we start off with the hops. A hearty helping of pine resin is pretty present. Dig it very much. Grapefruit is has a nice mix and balance to the hop profile. Malts mingle with these hops but I wouldn't say they balance, absolutely stays on the hoppy area. There is just enough of a Christmas baking spice presence to let me know its there, but its not enough to let me know what it is or overpower anything going on here. This is an IPA flavor with a touch of Christmas cheer.

M: Light side of medium in body. Carbonation isa touch high, maybe a bit too bubbly for my total liking but it doesn't kill the experience. Light alcohol heat on the throat. Resin does sit on the palate a bit. Aftertaste is pine and grapefruit.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. This is the first time I have had the chance to have it here in Alabama, and I am more than please. So easily drinkable. Not the most complex beer but the flavors are very well crafted in my opinion. I would be more than happy to see this beer as a year around because it is so easy drinking and pleasing. Dig on it.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Style: American IPA
ABV: 6.80 %

Pillowing foamy violent head. Copper in color with excellent head retention and lace.

Hop aromas. Various hop aromas. Hoppy, Period.

Taste as it smells, aggresivley bitter, surpassed my bitterness expectations. A whisper of a malt bill with medium caramel malts may exist, but little trace if any.

Mouthfeel is bitter dominance with medium body and carbonation, right on IMHO.

Drinkability is a high for an IPA. Bitter for sure, but not to heavy or high ABV for an IPA so it makes it addictively sessionable. Suprassed my expectations for sure!

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy smokes. Troegs Hopback made by Sierra Nevada? or vice versa(sorry west coast folks). This may be better. There's so much going on here..

Pours a dark amber with a huge, frothy white head. Kind of caught me off guard on the pour. Yowza! Heavy lacing going on here. Candy, fruit, spicy cider and piney, floral hops on the aroma. Very x'masy. Fairly sweet and malty on the front; astringent, grapefruity hops punch through the back. Tasty. This is a winter beer? Mmm. Good drinkability. Mouthfeel is refreshing and lively. I'm going for seconds y'all.

Dang, three finger head on that second pour. I'm poppin' up the appearance rating. Beautiful brew.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Deep amber, well-laced white head from which a good part never disappears. Rich citrus (grapefruit) aroma with notes reminiscent of the Christmas tree (piney, resinous, herbal). Good hop character, finish is moderately bitter, just hoppy enough I found. Medium body, good balance. just a hint of caramel malt. And for years I thought this was a Christmas ale...Idiot. The label has been tricking me.

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

Pint from the Lizard.

Amber with red highlights, small white head.

Smells of sweet malt, toasted malt, and hops. Nothing too definitive.

Taste is hop bitterness atop sweet malt. Amber caramel, piney hops, ok but nothing too great.

Mouth is lively. Perhaps too much so.

Drinkabilith is average. Goes down like another mediocre Sierra Nevada offering.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

I've had this many times but first review. I prefer this on tap but its nice in the bottle as well - I hear it ages very well and have a few cellared....

A - Dark ambery tones with a slighty hazy look. Good almost reddish head that doesn't linger too long.

S - Rich amber notes with plenty of hops hidden in there. A hint of spice, but really its the hop nose that comes thru

T - Kinda rich like a IIPA with lots of hops coming thru. Starts off with the amber malt tones then quickly succumbs to the massive hop flavour.

M - Somewhat chewy and thick - this is a holiday beer after all. Carbonation is kinda high, but this is good as it holds up the hops a little more. Good swisher.

D - Pretty high. While its not the venerated SN Pale Ale this is a close second. A little less of a drinking beer due to the heavy malt and chewy mouthfeel but a great beer for the holidays and wonderful with meals. I LOVE finding this at lame Xmas parties trying to vie me with peppermint schnapps and candy martinis.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Pours deep honey with bright highlights, nice .23 inch head, stays for awhile, leaves ring and lots of cling lace.

S - Very hoppy on the nose. Deep malt underlying.

T - Not as sweet as I had hoped. Definite bitter bite at end. Nice enough.

M - Medium body, thin to start, bitter at end, but fine, overall.

D - Would tire of the astringency.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.