Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
danadeny

Colorado

year: 2004. Redish, yellow-brown color. Small head. Smell of floral hops reminds me of a light IPA. light roasted malt flavor in the beggining. Hops is the doninant flavor, with a crisp carbonation bite on the finish. No alcohol flavor is detectibe, good for a 6.8%. Little hop after taste. A very good choice for an celebration.

10-23-2004 02:56:18 | More by danadeny
twelvsies

Maine

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Winter 2004 brew. Appears a dark red amber color. Creamy head on top laces the glass, nice. Smells of biting hops, and citrusy fruits, lemons, limes, grapefruit. The taste of this beer is very challanging. I like a good challenge. The hops are so present the beer stings your tongue and bites you in the back of the mouth. Intense. You have to swallow the beer fast and evade the taste bud hop attack to even pick up on the maltyness. But that's ok, I don't think this beer was intended to be well balanced in that respect, it's just a hop extravaganza. Very bitter finish as well. The mouthfeel is crazy, an asrtringent biting sting for sure, but not in a bad way, if that makes sense... I know, it doesn't make sense, but who cares, this stuff is kick you in the ass good.

10-18-2004 00:04:26 | More by twelvsies
soper2000

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

I more than enjoyed walking into Chumley's in Lafayette to see this hop monster on tap. I strolled up to the bar and immediately ordered one. It poured a deep orange with a 2 finger white head. Aroma is intensely hoppy, a nice citrus hoppiness. Taste was more of the same, but there is also a substantial malt backbone to back up the hops. Taste lingers on the tongue for awhile. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. This is a very solid and respectable beer. Great for when you need a hop fix.

10-02-2004 18:09:46 | More by soper2000
necoadam

Connecticut

2003 version

Pours out an amber/copper color with a nice head that stays with you a for little bit. Smell consisted of hops, hops, and more hops. There was some good spiciness to the beer as well. Lots of citrus lay underneath the hops, grapefruit, orange, and some lemon. Taste was hoppy, but as hoppy as the smell which was alright to me. Some good bitterness lingers on the palate for a while. Finishes with some grapefruit/orange flavors and lasts into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was medium with the right amount of carbonation mixing in. Can't wait to get a 6 pack for this upcoming winter. A must have around Christmas time.

09-27-2004 20:02:50 | More by necoadam
odeed

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

i celebrate every year when this comes out.it is my favorite of the sierra beers and one of my favorites over all.its an amber style ale with a nice "winter brew" kick if ya know what i mean.its september now so we only have a few months to go!!!!

09-19-2004 07:28:46 | More by odeed
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

1999 bottling. Sampled on 8-21-04.
Found this in the back of the cellar, it was forgotten about long ago. Almost threw it out but then thought what the hell.
Poured a nice 2 finger head which left an incredible lace on the glass.Had a reddish brown color.
The smell was of caramel sweet malts and banana oil. The taste was mostly sweet caramel with a hint of hazelnut. Had only a slight hop bite to finish.
Surprisingly ( or not ) , there wasn't even a hint of oxidation in the taste of this brew. Another gem from the cellar.

09-05-2004 00:24:45 | More by beerceller99
Southernbrew

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours dark-orange/brown with a 1/2" bubbly head.

The aroma is full of citrusy hops, a balanced malt backbone and a touch of spice.

Medium bodied, smooth with a small amount of carbonation. The hops come first with a blend of citrus and bitterness. A light sweetness is present the whole way through. I detect a very light spice which I guess makes this a winter-time offering. It finishes with a solid bitterness mixed with the citrus.

A very fine IPA, with a nice winter flavor. I'll be looking forward to seeing this in GA this year.

08-24-2004 00:28:52 | More by Southernbrew
stoutman

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A clear winter beer with a beautiful redish orange pour. A sweet hoppy smell with a nice bite during the finish. A nice medium head with flavor. Surprisingly tasty, full of nutty, chocolatey, tootsie roll like flavors. A body that is more than I expected, each sip finishes with a short blast finishing hops!

08-12-2004 02:16:02 | More by stoutman
crookedhalo

2003er. Pours an orangy copper color with a beige head. Deep piney, Cascade hop aroma. Some other hop is is there, Warrior or Chinook? Initially sweet on the palate, then moving towards the drier, hoppy side, finishing malty sweet and citrusy again. Pretty darn good for having a twist-off bottlecap.

07-24-2004 18:31:46 | More by crookedhalo
malthead

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

2003 vintage - note that as my handle indicates, I'm not a big hophead...
Nice deep amber color, huge cratering head that disappeared to almost nothing. Smells hoppy - big, juicy hops, with some citrus. Taste is... hoppy... a lot of grapefruit, maybe some pine, with very little malt sweetness. Tastes a little raw to me, with the standard oily mouthfeel on a long finish. (gotta love the hop burps, though...) If you like big hops, this might be a good example, but it's too over the top for me - if I were going to have this again, it would have to be much more balanced.

07-13-2004 03:01:54 | More by malthead
ngandhi

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

2002 Vintage

Without looking at my review on the 03 Vintage, I scored the 02 exactly the same across the board.

Rosey and tropical from clear Centennials and Cascades. Moderate carbonation made soft by heavy caramel malt. Light residual sweetness brings out a dynamic citrus that truly brings this beer together. Piney finish with nutty grain. Jell-O juicy. No astringency. The floral hops thin to one-dimensional pine. Viscous malts is a touch too gummy.

Relax, relax.
ng

2003 Vintage

The sharp bitterness in Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is cut by classic West Coast fruity/floral flavor hopping; I get notes of Centennial and Cascade with definite Cascade dry-hopping. There's too much body for an IPA, but it's cut by good carbonation that lightens the mouthfeel and intensifies the hop profile.

Either IPAs have gotten too floral, too much like pale ales, or SNCA is too close to a barleywine. My first impulse on this brew was to call it an I2PA or a barleywine. Though the bittering is only (ha!) 62 IBUs, on the light side of barleywine, the Chinook character is very pronounced and something immediately reminiscent of Rogue Old Crustacean. Sitting here today, it's a wonder than OC has twice the bittering of this beer.

The finish is long and bitter, fading into some floral and grapefruit character from the Centennials and Cascades. SNCA screams of its hops and is a perfect indication of what Centennials, Cascades, and Chinooks taste like all at once. What more can you ask from an IPA?

Relax, relax.
ng

2002: 4.3
2003: 4.3
Overall: 4.3

07-10-2004 19:00:53 | More by ngandhi
TheOtherMike

1.68/5  rDev -59.6%

I just cannot drink this beer. Beer? It seems more like a spiced cider or something - which seems appropriate for the holidays, but still something that I cannot drink. I 've tried twice but there will not be a third try. It is readily available during the holidays.

It's not the worst beer I've ever had - I think that was in Valdez, AK.
Some "Buzzard" brew I think. Thus I did not give this one the lowest scores for taste/smell/drinkability.

06-07-2004 15:58:37 | More by TheOtherMike
meathookjones

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on tap at Hard Times in Herndon. Pours a dark amber color with a small frothy tan head that disappeared fairly quickly. The head does create a nice lacing around the glass as it is drunk. Great aroma, which is huge in hops with some herbs and spices hanging on for the ride. Hops and fruitiness dominate the taste with a hint of spiciness and an excellent bitter finish. A great brew for a hophead to get his fix from. The mouthfeel is about average for an IPA. I find this to be a very drinkable brew as I usually have about 6 of these will playing pool, of course you will feel the 6.8% after a few. An excellent seasonal and all around brew, one of the best IPAs I have had.

06-02-2004 14:38:58 | More by meathookjones
imblane

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This was the 2003 edition, poured a deep orange amber color with about 1 finger of frothy head that quickly dissipated, leaving some fine lacing in my glass. Smell was grapefruit, banana and mild citrus, with a hint of a malt backbone. Very soothing! Taste is sweet malts that are quickly taken over with a velvety bite of hops, yet never truly bitter like a Stone IPA. The overall taste is wonderfully crisp, that is refreshing and finishes dry and smooth. (Outside Temperature at tasting was 100+) Mouthfeel had just the right amount of carbonation with a slight oily texture that was very pleasing. Overall, a great Cali IPA, in either Winter or Summer. Another quality offering from Sierra Nevada!

05-03-2004 01:52:01 | More by imblane
tar

Bahamas

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

2003 bottle. Pours a nice clear amber capped by a medium to thin head of slightly off-white bubbles. As the head diminishes and the beer is consumed a nice curtain of lacing lines the walls of the glass. A full aroma of hops--floral and citrusy with a bit of spiciness, greet the nose. Great fruity hop taste, with some good bitterness in the finish. Some sweetness and breadlike flavors come through as well, particularly as it warms, but really are hidden behind the hops. A great tasting and relatively easy drinking beer which I look forward to each year. A definite favorite. (I'm finally transfering my review from my own files, and just re-reading my notes is causing me to look forward several months for its next release)

04-29-2004 19:15:55 | More by tar
Joey7F

4.7/5  rDev +13%

WOW!! I am so stoked! I just turned 21 (end of January) I pounded the pavement looking for this beer around beginning of February. Everyplace says "No sorry, we are out for the season" Today I went to Mr. Dunderbak's in the mall looking for Spaten Optimator and asking off handed, "I noticed you had a box of SNCA on display, you don't have anyfor sale do you?"

"Sure, we have about 10"

Wow, Ben Franklin said "Beer is proof there is a God, and that He loves us." This beer is proof that God truly loves His children (or those 21+ ;)).

The appearance is something I cruise by usually but this is a fantastically amber brew. A thing of beauty. It smells really good, very hoppy and spicy. It tastes better than any light beer I have ever tasted.

The taste is hoppy...more so than the Pale Ale. I had my first IPA the other day, I consider this FAR above Red Hook's offering. It is slightly thin in the mouth, but few light beers can compete there.

It is HIGHLY drinkable. Seriously, this is the best beer day ever. Hopefully many more to come ;)

My favorite IPA/Seasonal brew. Two thumbs up!

--Joey

04-26-2004 21:52:09 | More by Joey7F
longpondbeerman

Maine

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

The 2003 bottle edition pours a lovely, bubbly, rich amber color, topped off with a modestly frothy off-white head. Mostly hops in the aroma, with some grapefruit and piney background and just a hint of the toasted malts. The taste is exquisitely complex--initial hops and some light citrus and floral on the back of the palate. The taste lingers for a good while and then fades to a balance of bitter, swettness, and subtle smokiness. A bit too heavy on the carbonation I think, but the mouthfeel is good; it has some substance to it.

04-19-2004 21:18:56 | More by longpondbeerman
bnuttz

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

2003 edition of the Celebration Ale, in a 12 oz bottle

Apperance: very orangish copper like, nice white head initially, disappears shortly after.

Smell: smells very nicely of hops and spices, maybe some citrus in there also.

Taste: ooh the hops, so sweet, yet deliciously bitter. The floral aromas really take over. great amount of carbonation. very smooth.

This beer is a good example of a good IPA, good job sierra nevada

04-12-2004 05:03:42 | More by bnuttz
DaveGood

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

The 2003 bottle version poured a nice copper color with a nice off-white head that leaves a nice lacing around my glass. The aroma is quite hop-filled and has a very citris-like scent to it. The taste, like the aroma, is big on the hops. I really couldn't detect much in the way of malts due to the overwhelming hops. The mouthfeel was excellent as the beer had just the right amount of carbonation and it went down almost too smooth! This is a beer that you can sit back and enjoy several of in a sitting. Definitely something to look forward to each year from Sierra Nevada!

04-08-2004 02:38:35 | More by DaveGood
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

What this beer is to me is a bigger and badder version of their pale ale with more hops, more alcohol and more body. I like how this beer gets better sip after sip with a warming effect taking place after half a bottle. There are heavier winter warmers and more exotic winter warmers but this is one the best drinking winter beers.

03-31-2004 00:14:02 | More by canucklehead
grynder33

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Nice healthy hop aroma, amber brown color, very hop filled first taste with a nice blend of malt and some spice, sweetness seems to disappear rather quickly and your pretty much left with the hops and resulting bitterness. A true hopheads Christmas brew, non hop heads need not bother

03-29-2004 01:26:20 | More by grynder33
99bottles

3.95/5  rDev -5%

I had this on tap a few months ago, but I thought it deserved a more attentive review, so I went out and got a bottle. 2003 on the neck label. Celebration Ale pours a nice amber-red color with a inch or so lofty off white head. Give it a few minutes and the fluff settles to a nice lumpy top, like a pancake before you flip it over. There is a strong smell of hops. Held up to the light, you can see abundant flecks of what I would guess are spices suspended in the brew. No sediment though.
The first taste is...hops. Did I just eat a Cascade salad? Progressive sips seem more subdued. There is decent carmel malt that is pretty much covered by spice. I'd guess the standard winter spice mix most places use: clove, allspice, cinammon. It's not really balanced. The hops bite, then the spices give an artifical lengthing of the hop bitterness. Not as sweet and rich as I think a winter seasonal would be. I guess its an IPA first, a seasonal second.
Mouthfeel is good. Not heavy and cloying, but with enough oomph behind it to let you know you're drinking a beer. Drinkability is good. I could easily have a bunch of these. I like this beer. I do. I'm just not sure it deserves such high ratings. If anything, it's well known and widely distributed. Almost as much as SNPA. I'm glad to try it about once a season, see if anything has really changed. Good beer.

03-25-2004 19:00:39 | More by 99bottles
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A very nice clear, amber pour with quite a generous pancake head. The nose is nicely hopped and has plenty of fruitiness kickin around as well...peach and apricot i'd have to say. The taste is big and hoppy right off the bat with underlying fruitiness and a nice malt backbone. Underlying caramel sweetness. This beer offers bold, up front taste and well balanced body. A very, very light and smooth mouthfeel make this one an easy drinker...dangerous with the 6.8% abv. The finish is of a lovely hop bitterness as the light fruity notes disapate towards the end. Great stuff!

03-23-2004 23:13:29 | More by Popsinc
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.83/5  rDev -32%

poured a copper like reddish brown with little head. Sweet smell with some spice and a bit chocolate. Alot of spice in the taste, but had a bit of bitterness to it as well. Had a little more carbonation than I was expecting but not too bad. No exactly something to write home about. Not totally awful, but not really impressed, either.

03-22-2004 20:37:41 | More by SilentSabre
MrNuggets

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Burnt orange colour with a finger high off-white head. The beautiful lace elegantly wraps around my glass. Smells of citrus and hops.
I get that a hint of citrus in the taste. Then I'm slammed with that lovely hop bitterness I expect from a good IPA. Finishes off nice and bitter. Very full mouthfeel. This is my first celebration and i will certainly be getting more season.

03-17-2004 06:37:42 | More by MrNuggets
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.